Chapter 4
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ye Jiao was looking forward to the meal, but she didn't expect there would be quite a few things to do before eating.
Seeing the people sitting around the room, going around serving tea and greeting each person was another ordeal for the little ginseng spirit's waist.
Fortunately, the Qi family was small and it didn't take too long.
Apart from Qi Yun's parents, Qi Yun also had an older and a younger brother.
The eldest, Qi Zhao, had a wife surnamed Fang. The third, Qi Ming, was young and still studying. There weren't many other relatives besides them.
Qi Yun explained, "My ancestors were originally from the north and later moved here, so we don't have many relatives."
This also meant that the Qi family couldn't really rely on clan power and had to rely on their own efforts for everything, but Ye Jiao didn't mind at all.
The fewer times she had to kneel, the better. What use were so many relatives...
Secretly rubbing her knees, Ye Jiao thought that being human really wasn't easy. From yesterday to today, she felt that what she did most was kneeling down and getting up, getting up and kneeling down.
However, while greeting people, Ye Jiao took a moment to glance at her nominal husband.
Qi Yun didn't look at her, but stood silently to the side, eyes staring straight ahead, without any expression on his face.
This was Qi Yun's normal state. He didn't like to talk or smile. His face was already pale, so when he stood there with such a stiff expression, if he wasn't still breathing, one would wonder if he was even alive.
It was like two different people compared to the gentle demeanor he had yesterday when giving her water to drink.
When it was time to eat, only Qi Yun's mother Madam Liu and the newlyweds were left.
Ye Jiao looked at the dishes on the table, her eyes sparkling. The gloom that had accumulated from all the kneeling vanished along with the fragrance of the food.
However, when she wanted to reach out, Qi Yun lightly grabbed the woman's hand, squeezed it, then let go and said softly, "Wait for Mother to start eating before you can eat."
Although the Qi family was not some prestigious household and the rules were not strict, the proper etiquette still had to be observed.
Qi Yun didn't mind Ye Jiao's lack of manners and blamed it all on the Ye family.
Not giving her food or drink and not properly teaching her etiquette, if it was any other family, who knows how much hardship his beloved wife would have to endure.
People's hearts had all turned black.
Fortunately, his darling wife met him, and he could slowly teach her in the future.
Thinking of this, Qi Yun's expression darkened. He really didn't know how long he could protect her.
Although Ye Jiao was hungry, she was very obedient. The little ginseng spirit who was working hard to learn to be human sat properly and also learned from Qi Yun to say softly to him, "It's quite comfortable, massage it more."
Qi Yun was originally a bit down, but hearing Ye Jiao's words, he was slightly startled, "Massage what?"
Ye Jiao waved her hand, her voice soft, "My arms are tired from holding the teacup just now. Massage them, like you did before." After saying that, she put her hand into the man's palm again.
This was half true and half false.
Her arms were indeed a bit sore from serving tea, but Ye Jiao wanted to hold hands with this person more to give him more nourishment.
Qi Yun didn't ask further and just wrapped his fingers around hers again, gently massaging her hand, his expression especially serious.
Ye Jiao narrowed her eyes slightly.
It really did feel quite nice. Ah, getting married was great.
Seeing them whispering, Madam Liu showed some satisfaction on her face.
Actually, Ye Jiao's maternal family was definitely not a good match for the Qi family, but what Madam Liu wanted was never a perfect daughter-in-law. She just wanted to find a way to change her son's fate and prolong his life.
Ye Jiao's sister-in-law said Ye Jiao was willing, so Madam Liu naturally had no doubts.
But Qi Yun was unwilling, always saying he couldn't delay others. Madam Liu had tossed and turned for a while last night, afraid that Qi Yun would make a fuss or damage his health. But then she heard that the two of them had slept peacefully through the night.
Although it delayed the time for serving tea in the morning, seeing Qi Yun's much better complexion than usual, Madam Liu saw it and was happy in her heart.
Even if the Ye family was not a good in-law family to rely on, as long as her son could be well, it was enough for Madam Liu.
She also didn't intend to set any rules for this daughter-in-law. When she started eating, Ye Jiao immediately looked at Qi Yun excitedly. Seeing Qi Yun nod, she then also picked up her chopsticks, fiddled with them on her own for a bit, and quickly managed to pick up a piece of meat.
Thanks to the original memories, otherwise Ye Jiao really could have reached out to grab the food with her hands.
But the next second, she saw Qi Yun pick up some food with his chopsticks and put it in her bowl.
"Did I pinch too hard and hurt you?" Qi Yun felt that Ye Jiao's clumsy use of chopsticks was because he had used too much force just now.
Ye Jiao immediately shook her head, her eyes bright as she smiled at Qi Yun, "It doesn't hurt."
This made Qi Yun feel distressed, thinking "It clearly hurts so much you can't even hold the chopsticks steady but you still say it doesn't hurt". He felt a strange warmth in his heart and picked up another piece of meat for her.
Ye Jiao didn't quite understand what Qi Yun was imagining, but she accepted Qi Yun's feeding without hesitation.
Ye Jiao had no idea what these dishes were called, but she knew that this was delicious, that was also delicious, everything was delicious!
Much more delicious than yesterday's snacks!
Getting married was great!
Perhaps because Ye Jiao ate with such gusto, Qi Yun also ate half a bowl more than usual, making Madam Liu beam with smiles.
After the two left, Madam Liu stood up and went to kneel before the Bodhisattva statue, devoutly praying for blessings for her second son.
Qi Yun took Ye Jiao back to the room. Perhaps because he had eaten a bit more than usual just now, Qi Yun felt a little stuffed. So he took Ye Jiao for a couple of turns around the courtyard and also introduced the Qi family to her.
"This is Father and Mother's courtyard, that side is eldest brother and sister-in-law's, the back is third brother's. Further north is where the tenant farmers live." Qi Yun walked very slowly, his voice also slow. "Usually, except for dinner, us three brothers all eat separately."
Ye Jiao blinked, "Why?"
Qi Yun glanced at her and lowered his eyes, "Father and eldest brother have to go to the farm, third brother has to study, each has their own things to do." At this, Qi Yun looked away, "I can only stay at home to help look over the account books, I can't do anything else."
Saying this, Qi Yun coughed softly a few times. The tenderness from earlier had all disappeared without a trace.
Currently, the imperial court was not like the previous dynasty that emphasized agriculture and restricted commerce. Although merchants still couldn't compare in status to scholars, the court had abolished the various restrictions on merchants. Merchants' children could also take the imperial exams, and there were even merchants who bought official positions with money. This made many people with spare money go into business.
The Qi family had a wine shop and a medicine shop. Usually there were people hired to watch over them, and the Qi family as the owners just regularly checked and collected the accounts.
Qi Yun's health was poor so he couldn't go to the farms. He also couldn't withstand the rigor of the imperial exams despite his vast knowledge. In the end, he could only stay at home to help look over the account books.
If it was before, Qi Yun wouldn't have felt anything. A dying man had no hopes anyway. So what if he couldn't succeed in academics or martial arts? He didn't have many years to live anyway.
But now, with a little wife relying on him for everything, Qi Yun felt useless.
Just then, Qi Yun heard Ye Jiao's surprised voice, "Husband, you not only know how to read and write, you can also do accounting?"
Qi Yun raised his eyes to look at her, not quite understanding where Ye Jiao's exclamation came from, but he replied, "Yes."
Ye Jiao blinked and suddenly linked her arm with Qi Yun's, smiling so much her eyes curved, "Husband is really amazing."
This made Qi Yun a little speechless, "What's so amazing about it?"
Ye Jiao thought for a bit, "Husband can do everything I can't, so husband is amazing."
Qi Yun heard the sincerity in her words. Although Qi Yun felt that this was because Ye Jiao had met few people and had a simple mind, this pure praise still made a hint of a smile appear on his pale face.
Just now they were probably in front of others, so Qi Yun had maintained an expressionless face the whole time. Him suddenly smiling now made Ye Jiao stare in a daze.
He was so handsome, especially when he smiled.
But Qi Yun didn't notice Ye Jiao's gaze and slowly started walking again, his tone gentle, "It's still good for a person to know some words. We have nothing to do these next few days anyway, I'll teach you to read."
Ye Jiao immediately nodded and gripped Qi Yun's fingertips, "Okay, I learn very quickly."
Qi Yun glanced at her, "Oh, I see."
Ye Jiao tilted her head. Why did she feel like this person had disbelief written all over his face?
Just then, they turned into a garden in the back courtyard.
The Qi family was the most prosperous in the surrounding villages and towns. The gardens at home were mostly for growing flowers and plants, but there were also places for raising chickens and ducks.
Qi Yun usually wouldn't come here. Today, as they were talking, they had walked here. He didn't plan to go in.
But Ye Jiao had sharp eyes and pointed over there, "Ah, it's that one."
Qi Yun followed Ye Jiao's gaze and only saw a group of chickens wandering around. He raised an eyebrow slightly, "What?"
Ye Jiao's voice was clear, "It's the rooster from yesterday. The feathers on its tail are especially long, so beautiful."
Qi Yun looked over and indeed saw a rooster with especially good-looking tail feathers, strutting around in a very imposing manner.
Sensing the voices, it turned its head. Seeing them, it just raised its head, then turned around to face them with its butt, looking very disdainful.
Qi Yun: ...Humph.
He hadn't forgotten, yesterday his darling wife had almost performed the wedding ceremony with this rooster!
Qi Yun immediately changed directions and stepped into the garden.
Xiao Su, who was supposed to be feeding the chickens in the garden, had slacked off. She was kicking a shuttlecock by herself. Hearing the movement, she noticed them. The girl who was just over ten years old was so scared she shivered, especially when she saw Qi Yun, she wished she could turn and run.
But there was no Tie Zi beside her to bolster her courage right now. Xiao Su could only stand there stiffly, the shuttlecock falling to the ground. She only had time to pick up the basin of chicken feed and froze in place, not daring to move.
Qi Yun glanced at her, his tone indifferent, "Do your work, no need to mindus."
"I understand, Second Young Master." Xiao Su tried her best to lower her head, minimizing her presence.
Ye Jiao walked over to the fence and looked inside, feeling smug.
Before, when she was still a little ginseng spirit, she had to go to great lengths to hide from those birds and beasts. Now it was great, she didn't need to hide, instead they had to hide from her.
Emboldened, Ye Jiao became more playful. She carefully took some chicken feed from Xiao Su's hands and scattered it inside.
Seeing this, Qi Yun went over and took her hand, taking out a handkerchief to wipe her hands. His voice was low but gentle, "Don't casually grab these things, be careful of getting your hands dirty."
Ye Jiao smiled and let him wipe her hands, but her eyes were on Xiao Su, "How old is this rooster?"
Although Xiao Su was afraid of Qi Yun, she wasn't afraid of this always smiling, beautiful new bride.
Although she still didn't dare raise her head, her voice was no longer trembling as she spoke, "Xiao Hei was raised last year, he's one year old."
Ye Jiao was a little surprised, "You even gave him a name?"
Xiao Su's face reddened and she didn't speak, just having a child's innocence.
Qi Yun also looked at that rooster with the beautiful tail feathers and suddenly asked Ye Jiao, "Darling, do you want to eat chicken?"
Hearing this, Xiao Su shivered. She subconsciously felt that this taciturn and scary Second Young Master wanted to eat her Xiao Hei!
But Ye Jiao didn't feel anything was wrong. She rubbed her belly, "I'm full from earlier, I don't want to eat anything right now."
Qi Yun nodded and glanced at the shuttlecock Xiao Su had dropped on the ground, indifferently asking, "Is it fun?"
Xiao Su shivered again. She wanted to say it was fun, but she had been caught red-handed slacking off. She didn't know whether to nod or shake her head.
Qi Yun also didn't want to pursue the matter. Seeing the time, he should go back to take his medicine. Without looking at Xiao Su, he held Ye Jiao's hand, his eyes filled with fine tenderness, "Let's go back."
"Okay." Ye Jiao withdrew her gaze and was about to leave with him.
But as they were exiting the garden, Qi Yun seemed to remember something and turned his head to indifferently instruct Xiao Su, "Tie a shuttlecock and send it over later." Then he tilted his head towards Ye Jiao, "You can play with it."
Ye Jiao didn't know how to play shuttlecock, but she was willing to try anything. She immediately agreed with a smile.
Qi Yun also raised the corners of his mouth. From the corner of his eye, he glanced in a direction, "Use its feathers, the few on its tail."
Ye Jiao didn't see what Qi Yun was referring to before being pulled away by him.
Xiao Su looked at her family's Xiao Hei, wanting to cry but having no tears.
That night, a beautiful black feather shuttlecock was delivered to Ye Jiao's hands. Qi Yun also gave up on the idea of drinking chicken soup.
After a night of sweet dreams, the day for Ye Jiao to return to her maiden home arrived in the blink of an eye.
Author's Note:
Xiao Hei: Without feathers, I would rather die!
Qi Yun: I want to drink chicken soup...
Xiao Hei: Take it, take it! QVQ

0