chapter 2
89 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(It was very hard to do this chapter. I don't usually write or talk about things like this so I might of have messed up somewhere. I hope i did a good enough job but I'm sorry if it gets confusing or I trip over what I wanted to say. Also I lost consciousness at school today so I feel sick and tired.)

 

Sleeping was easier said than done. It was likely to be impossible to rest with his new circumstance, the only choice left was to simply rest there with his eyes closed and try to ignore the sounds happening everywhere. Sadly not even 45 minutes after laying as James was resting, a noise disturbed him.

"HEY YOU, IM TALKING TO YOU." The clearly homeless drunk person told James rudely. "This's ma spot, asshole. Find another place to sleep outta my sight and don't lemme see you again."

'what?' Still confused by what was happening the only thing James could feel was confusion. Always living in a good street with good parents even though the rest of the family were bitches left James completely confused by what was happening. Obviously, his reaction only angered the intoxicated individual even more as he began shaking him. On reflex, to stop him James lifted his arm and grabbed one of his arm, his palm touching the homeless man which activated "Idle Transfiguration" by it's own. James vision was still active but at the same time he could sense something new, not in the way the eyes saw. It was completely different. 

'This must be the ability to see souls I'd heard about from Mahito when he was still Alive.' 

The core of every living thing. The most important part of what makes a person, a person. A soul was what the defined the entirety of your personality. All your emotions and memories resided in it. Now that James saw it for the first, he could tell it- it was so... disappointing. It didn't look one bit like what you would expect something so important to be like. A dull black imperfect crystal was all James could compare it to. How it worked was even worse. With just a look James could tell that every decision you took was made more by instinct than it being an actual choice. The unexpected shove he received made James take back his hand and end " Idle Transfiguration." Already fed up with James unresponsiveness and having assumed he must have only recently lost his home and was still coping he took James left arm(this time without his hand touching him) and lifted him up before pushing him away.

Stumbling to catch himself James hurried away because even though he had all of Mahito's abillity, he did not get his experience with the powers. running away was the only option. It did leave him feeling terrible knowing that he now had to fight for a place to rest at, something he had always had. James continued walking through the empty street now that it was night while being ravaged by what he'd seen when he used "idle Transfiguration." It was only a peek but if every soul were so ugly, functioning almost like simple A.I's was there even an actual reason to make friends, enjoy family? All your likes and dislikes nothing more than the way your soul function. Maybe it was as Mahito said. The human heart is nothing more than an illusion and that life is without value. What is the difference between a video game console and a human? There is none. Both are basically objects, just that they work differently but it sums up to the same. The first time James had heard him say that, he'd simply waved it off as the rambling of a crazy madman but maybe James had been blind. Now that he could see the way Mahito saw, maybe there was some truth to what he said.

It was in this restless state of mind that James finally found somewhere to sleep on a bench in a park. Because it was in an open area the wind would get him but James couldn't get himself to care, too distracted to even think about it. Not that the wind could bother him much with his enhanced durability. Finally sitting down James tried to rest again but a new worry assaulted him. What if his soul was just as imperfect as that homeless man? What if just like him, James was without value. Knowing this James immediately went into his own soul and what he saw took the breath away from him. It was simply the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. A perfect sphere of pure radiant white. That is what a true soul looks like, not a puny dull crystal. Unlike the other souls James's soul was flowing with emotions, not from how your body makes you feel using chemicals, but true things coming from himself as a person. He was not flowing water that goes about their day methodically but a real person. This knowledge set an unbreakable wall between James and everyone else. It would be impossible for him to bond with anyone knowing that they are not a true person. It's like the difference between C.AI and talking to a real person.

Reassured by his finding, James closed his eyes and went to sleep while admiring how perfect his soul was for the entire night, marveling at it's beauty.

 

 

When James reopened his eyes all the panic he had the day before was gone. He knew he had to get up and get stronger. From the little pieces of info, if they were true the people of this world were in average much stronger than him. As he was the only thing he could do is see people's soul with no way to transfigure them. Even a child with a fairly powerful quirk could beat him him. If James wanted to thrive here he'd have to get strong, very strong. 

The first thing to know before starting to train is exactly what are the abilities he got. A few of them that he knew were told to him by Mahito but they were all related to "Idle Transfiguration's" mastery. The only exception were the most basic one's like enhanced strength, enhanced speed and enhanced reflexes. Another one that was not mentioned by Mahito but that was becoming more and more obvious the more time he spent with the ability was enhanced intellect. James thought were flowing smoother and memories he did not remember before were as clear as day. With what he could do sorted out, James set out to find a spot to start training.

 

 

After finding a spot with no one in sight, James started. Had his power been anything else like explosions it would've been impossible to train without alerting others, but with "idle transfiguration" just feeling out to your soul was enough. James reached out to it without trying to modify it and simply tried to understand how it worked and getting used to what it is for the entire day without needing to take any breaks or eat, probably thanks to his new body and abilities. Apparently all human needs were no longer necessary, convenient knowing he's completely broke.

 

 

After a day of working, James at least was familiar with how it looked but trying to understand it had not progressed at all. It was to be expected after all if you only look at a book without opening it or are you supposed to read or if you look at a pig without dissecting it. James, would find a stray cat or something similar to experiment because even though he did not put as much value to life as before it still made him uncomfortable to kill a human, after all he was human before as well.

 

Getting back to the bench now that no one was there James sat down and continued his training there.

4