Chapter 3 – School in Another World
66 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

…sigh…I can’t believe I’m going to school…

At the moment, I’m standing right in front of this gigantic school entrance contemplating whether I should enter or not. 

Even from the memories of my current body, I can’t remember any good days I had at school. I used to get bullied at school since the boys considered my features too girlish. Even though I was the son of a duke no one helped me, and I was too afraid to ask for help from anyone.

Well, I guess both my current and past life selves have the same personality, I guess…

Since they told me that I looked like a girl, I tried working out but even if my physique changed a little, my face was the same as always, and I didn’t get that many muscles out of my training either.

And then when I was at my wits end after getting bullied by both the girls and boys in my class. I pierced my ears without thinking about it, and when my parents noticed the blood and piercings on me that day, they asked me what happened, and I told them how I was treated at school.

They were going to contact the school and make it a big deal, but I stopped them from doing so and they didn’t mind me piercing my ears, and unexpectedly, they even allowed me to put on earrings and look cooler. And thanks to that, I’m standing in front of my school gate like a boy who needs proper discipline. 

…sigh…I just wish this doesn’t attract too much attention and people would leave me alone…I don’t wanna involve myself with anyone. 

I enter the school without any worries since the fact that I’m a duke’s son allows me to dress however I want at school. Noble status is really helpful at times like this, and there don’t seem to be any restrictions on the way we dress in the academy so there might be other people who dress similarly. 

First off, I have to get to the opening ceremony first, I pass through the fountain in the middle of the garden and walk towards the huge door to the Academy Hall. On the side, I could see a group of students surrounding a girl, the princess of the Kingdom of Elshire; Seraphina de Elshire. I saw her at a ball once but never talked to her. 

That’s right. This kingdom's name is Elshire, and this is the princess of our country, she’s in a completely different world from me though... I can’t believe I have to face such normies even after dying ones. 

I put on my hoodie to cover my face and enter the Hall without paying any attention to all those normies who seem to be having tons of fun. I go through the open door and sit in one of the middle seats. Sitting in the front is a pain and sitting at the back might get me in trouble for no reason so this is the best spot.

While I sat there by myself for a while, I could see the other students coming in. The princess was still surrounded by a lot of people trying to initiate a conversation. Not like I’m ever gonna have a conversation with her during the 3 years I’m gonna be here. 

We start our higher education at the Rufnora Academy at the age of 15 and study for 3 years. Currently, I’m in my first year and this is my first day, so I’ll be studying here till I’m 18. All these students are from various noble families, and there are a few commoners who’ve entered the Academy through a scholarship given to them by the school or references given to students through other noble houses. 

Since nobles like to show off, they compete by trying to give references to a lot of commoners. But usually, the nobles make them study at the Academy and force them to work for them after their education. Even our family has given scholarships to children of the people who work at the mansion and some merchant families my father’s familiar with. It’s not like we force them to work for us though. And we give our workers a hefty amount of salary too.

As I sit in my seat, people start flooding in to catch the seats they want and some of them hesitate to sit next to me for some reason…I wonder why? …it’s not like I can’t guess any reasons though, I’ve got tons after all.

A boy sits next to me, he has a cool scar on his face and a pretty big build.

“…sigh…I can’t stand all these nobles…”

Oh. I think I might get along with him!

Well, I just nod along with him and just sit there, staring at the stage. 

“Can I know your name?”

I can’t just ignore him, can I? He’s giving me a pretty bright smile, so I’d feel bad if I didn’t say anything.

“…Lucius…”

“Oh, I see. My name’s Ralph. Nice to meet you, Lucius.”

“Nice to meet you too…”

I wonder if he’s an adventurer or something…I mean it's hard for normal people to enter this academy if they're commoners. I could see an iron chain hanging on his neck.

“…Are you an adventurer?”

“Hm? Oh! You can tell. Yah! I’m a D-rank adventurer.”

“I see…”

I turn away from him and look at the stage again. 

“Talk about a bland reaction, but how’d you know I was an adventurer?”

“…your build…and the metal chain hanging in your neck.”

“Oh, That’s right. Hahaha…”

“Are you interested in swordsmanship or something Lucius?”

“Not really…”

“Wow. You don’t talk, do you? Don’t you like me?”

“…I’m surprised that you could say that with a straight face. And sorry but I don’t swing that way.”

“Hahaha…I was just kidding. Do I make you uncomfortable or something?”

“Well, you do make me uncomfortable…”

“You seriously don’t hold back, do you?”

“…but I don’t hate it…”

He gives me a bewildered look and then smiles at me. 

“Hahaha…I see…I see…”

An old man enters the stage and stands on the podium at the center of the stage.

 “Hello, my dear students! My name is Aldar Khophier, and I am your headmaster. For the next three years, you shall be studying at this Academy…”

And he went on and on about the school's history, a few funny-less jokes, and an introduction to our courses. This person’s a well-renowned mage in the Kingdom, he retired after his heyday and took over as the headmaster of the Rufnora Academy.

“I hope you have a splendid school life ahead of you, my dear children. And now I’d like to welcome our student representative, Princess Seraphina de Elshire, to give us a few words…”

The princess I saw earlier walked gracefully to the stage, while all our eyes were on her. She elegantly climbed the stage and looked down on everyone from above.

That’s right! You’re a person from another world to me, so you can look down on me all you want your Highness, and please don’t involve yourself with me no matter what, please! Please! Please! My entire school life depends on this, so I pray that no higher-ranking people involve themselves with me!

“Wow. The princess is really pretty, right?”

I look at the princess to confirm Ralph’s statement.

“Ah…”

She’s… my type…No! No! No! You can’t be captivated by her beauty you idiot! There’s no way she’d even look at someone like you!

“Hm…I guess…”

She talked about our studies at the Academy and equality among the students, she told everyone to treat her as a friend and not by her title as a princess and whatnot, the typical goody two-shoe stuff.

Once all the proceedings were finished, we headed straight to our classrooms. Unlike the other students who had so much to talk about with their new so-called ‘friends’, I headed straight to the classroom since I didn’t have such beings in my life.

“You heading to the class?”

“…yah…”

“Which class are you in? I’m in class C.”

“Class A.”

“Wait. Seriously? Isn’t that like where the elite of the elites are at?”

“…that so?”

I pick my bag up and look at Ralph in the eyes for the first time. 

“See you later then…”

He seemed a bit surprised at my sudden change in attitude. It took a few seconds for him to process it.

“Y-yah. Later then…”

Well, I need to respect people if they take the initiative to talk to someone like me. Responding to them is pretty tiring but it's rude to just ignore them.

What?! I can be nice to people too you know!


Aoi here,

Lucius is finally heading to school! Let's see what awaits him in this so-called Academy!

1