Chapter 8 – The Successor to House Winterberry
18 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My mother got up from her seat and got closer to me. She looked at me with loving eyes and hugged me tightly.

“Where thankful for her more than anything. She came to love our child, and she protected him.”

“That’s right Char…it’s all thanks to her that we could see our child again. I’m sorry that we couldn’t protect you, Lucius. We’re sorry we couldn’t see how lonely you’ve been.”

I stared at my father who rarely talked. He always stood before me with such dignity… right now, he knelt on his knees and held my hands tenderly. My eyes started welling up with tears…

I’ve been a fool…I can’t believe I’ve made such loving parents worry about me…I can’t believe I didn’t notice their love for me…

For me who didn’t have even a shred of love…these people were the ones who showed me love for the first time. 

And how could I ever repay Sera for what she’s done? If she hadn’t saved my life…I would have taken my own life without realizing the fact that I was loved…and that would have only caused these kind people more and more pain…

“I’m sorry…sob…I’m so…sorry for making you worry…”

Both my parents patted my head gently and soothed the crying child they gave birth to. Once I was done crying for the second time, my mom asked me the most important thing out of everything that happened…

“So, is it true that the princess confessed her love to you?”

“Hm? Yah, she did,” I admitted while rubbing my eyes after crying a bunch.

“So? How did she confess to you?” Why is my little sister so into romance anyway?”

“Hm? She said that she loved me…and then…um…she kind of kissed me…”

“Oh! And then? What happened after that?”

“Huh? Nothing happened after that.”

“I mean…did you give her a reply? Did you tell her that you loved her?”

“…Ah.”

“Huh?”

“…uh…I think I just fainted after that…”

“What? You haven’t given her a reply then?” my mother seemed to be curious now.

“Well…not really…”

“So? Do you love her?”

“Of course, I do! But…”

Is it really okay for me to love her? I love her from the bottom of my heart, but is it ok for me to be by her side? I know more than anyone else how much of a dangerous existence I am…

All this time I’ve been trying to hide this side of me by inflicting pain on myself. But now that I’ve decided to live my life for her, I don’t want to injure myself anymore. I want to live my life for her…I’d give her my life if I had to.

But that’s more reason for her to not involve herself with me. I would only cause her more trouble and nothing more…a person like me doesn’t deserve all this love…

I know that love and affection were the only things I wanted…I wanted someone to acknowledge my existence. But now that I’ve received it, I realize that I don’t deserve all this…

My existence itself is a threat to the people around me. It’ll bring nothing but bad luck to the people around me.

Do I even have the right to love someone?

Do I even have the right to receive love from someone?

“I…love her…but I don’t want to get close to her…”

“W-what do you mean?”

“I don’t think…I deserve someone like her…”

“…what?”

“She’s the most beautiful person I’ve ever met. And the kindness and love she’s shown me cannot be replaced by anyone.”

“Then why-…”

“I’m afraid...I’m afraid… that I might hurt her again. I’m scared of being by her side…what if there was someone better than me? Someone suitable for her…”

“I don’t know why you degrade yourself so much Luci…but remember this…no one can ever replace your existence in our lives. And I’m sure that the princess feels the same way about you…”

“Lucius. We don’t want you to think of yourself like that. You’re our son, you’re smarter than anyone out there. Even back then if you just used the name of Winterberry, there wouldn’t have been anyone who’d do this to you…”

“That isn’t mine!!! The achievement made by House Winterberry is what our ancestors, my grandfather, and you achieved! I don’t have the right to use the Winterberry name to boss others around. I don’t want anyone to look down on our family for something I’ve done…”

“Luci…”

“You’re the successor of the Winterberry name! What do you mean that you don’t deserve it? Answer me, Lucius!”

“I…don’t want to be the successor…”

“Lucius! You-!”

“Dear. You have to calm down…Luci, let’s just calm down for a little, shall we?”

I looked into my father’s eyes, full of determination.

“I’d already made this decision a long time ago. But I just didn’t get the right time to tell you, Dad…”

“…sigh…What is it, Lucius?”

“I will not be the next Duke.”

“Then who’s going to be the next duke?”

“My little sister…”

“Do you even understand what you’re saying? Your sister’s a girl.”

“But you aren’t someone who’d care about something like that…”

“Lucius. This isn’t the problem. You don’t want her to have to go through such a hard life, do you? And she doesn’t want to be the duke.”

“Have you ever asked her that, father?”

“What?”

“Have you ever noticed the paperwork out of place in your office, or your door opened or anything in your office being out of place?”

“What do you mean? I thought that it was you who…”

“Do you think I’d do something so bothersome? I don’t do anything unless I’m ordered to. There’s no way I’d go into your office unless you asked me to.”

“Do you mean…”

He looked at Luna who was sitting next to me. I took off the tea Aria had placed on the table a while back.

“Not only that…do you know that your daughter’s been going into town by herself?”

“What?!” Even my mother was surprised at what I said.

“Brother! Why are you?!”

I ignored Luna who was pulling at my sleeve and continued to talk.

“Ones, she almost headed into the slums…”

“Luna! What is the meaning of this!!!”

My mom shouted at Luna for what she’d done. And dad covered his face with his hands and kept his head down.

“But Luci, how do you know all this? Did you follow her?”

Luna was looking at me as if she were asking the same question. 

“I made sure that she didn’t get into any trouble and kept an I on her from a distance.”

…sigh…

My father let out a verbal sigh and looked at Luna who was nervously fidgeting around. 

“Luna…”

“Y-yes, father?”

“Is this true Luna?”

“Uh…yes…I headed into town…”

“And you went through the documents in my office?”

She nodded her head in agreement, without looking at Father.

…sigh…and Lucius…you don’t want to be the next duke then?”

“Yes, Father. I will support Luna as much as I can.” I agreed.

“…I see…”

“Luna! Look at me in the eyes!”

Father raised his voice and ordered Luna to look into his eyes. She nervously raised her head and looked into her father’s eyes.

“Even though your brother might look like this…I know that he's gone through a lot. I know that he was raised in a sheltered mansion and has always been protected, as his father I can tell that he’s gone through a lot…I don’t know when, where, or how he’s suffered so much, and I don’t plan on asking him either. It’s not like he's gonna give me an honest answer even if I did ask him.”

My mother went to Luna’s side and got down on her knees. And looked at Luna warmly.

“Even if he may look unreliable in your eyes. I know that he’s always been thinking about you, and us as well. He isn’t like other children and is way too mature for his age.”

I just looked at both my parents with wide eyes.

I never thought that they thought of me so much. I can’t believe I never realized…

Father looked at Luna with a stern face.

“Even if there were hard times. We knew that your brother could easily overcome them, that’s the reason we wanted him to take on the position. And more than anything, all three of us wanted to protect you and we wanted you to live a carefree life like any other noble girl.”

Memories of my sister, when she was young, started filling up my mind. And couldn’t help but tell her how much I adored her…

“We wanted you to dress up like any other normal girls, attend tea parties, and live a carefree life…we wanted you to be happy. But when I saw you going through the streets with a determined gaze, I knew that you were serious about this…as your brother…I wanted to support you with everything I had. But if I were to back out for no reason, you’d either feel like I pitied you, or you’d feel like I was giving up the position as heir of the family for you. I just wanted you to know how I felt, the reason I accepted the title was not for the good of the family, nor mother and father. The only reason I took over the title was for you…Luna…”

 “I’m not trying to blame you. As your brother, I’ll try my best to grant your every wish no matter how unreasonable they may be. I must do so as your brother…everything in this mansion belongs to you, Luna…”

Tears started dripping down Luna’s eyes. I patted her head softly. My father looked at both of us and smiled, he held Luna’s hand and the most important question.

“Luna! Tell me! Do you wish to be the heir? Do you have the resolve to lead this family after me?!”

“…Yes! I will surely lead the family. I will not let you down, Father.”

All three of us smiled warmly at her newfound resolve.

0