Chapter 27: Resident Drunkard.
117 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was always in the cards that I might end up fighting alone again. I got rejected… No one ever wanted me in their party, I felt like a fool for trying to form my own…

 

I barely made it outside of the inn before my motivation tanked. From the sounds of it, the adventurers inside were putting together their own party anyway. ‘Should I even bother with this? It might be better to just let someone else take care of it. Safer for sure.’

 

 I sat down on a small bench just outside and leaned back against the tavern wall closing my eyes. ‘I want to become strong enough that this never happens again…’ I took a deep breath in, sniffling as blood rushed to my face and my tear ducts filled up, just reaching the point at which they would come out, but stopping before any did, leaving my head feeling swollen.

 

‘I’d go in and buy a drink… But I’m too embarrassed to show my face right now… Especially after showing my adventure card…’

 

“Hey, it's you! That fine gentleman that was kind enough to toast with me before a hunt!” 

 

I looked over to see the staggering drunkard wandering towards me. “Taggart?” ‘Still wandering around without his party I see…’

 

“You saved me, I hear, thank you for that.”

 

I let out a sigh, trying to hide my wry smile. “And yet you went right back to drinking again… Do your friends know you're here?”

 

He waved his hand dismissively. “Who cares, they aren't my mother,” He said as he sat down beside me, wrapping an arm over my shoulder. “You know, you're pretty intense.”

I narrowed my eyes, looking straight ahead to try and avoid his breath. “What makes you think that? How would you know anything about me?”

 

“I can see it in your eyes. Not very aggressive, and maybe you don't have a fiery rage. But you're thinking, you're always thinking. You're intense. I bet watching you fight is a sight to see, but I bet you can’t get out of your own head sometimes.” He laughed.

 

I took a deep breath, the whole conversation felt like a waste of time, but I was too unmotivated to bother leaving. “Yeah, I bet watching you fight would be one too.”

 

He burst out laughing. “It sure is,” He said once he finally calmed down. “Of course, no one believes me until they see it.”

 

“I wonder why…”

His face fell flat, almost sorrowful for a moment. “It doesn’t matter does it… I win…”

I looked over at him to see he had fallen asleep after those last words. It was the last thing I expected, but after our conversation, I felt refreshed in a way. I still didn't feel as enthusiastic as when I took the quest, but I definitely didn't feel as worn down or embarrassed.

 

In some strange way, I felt like I owed him again. ‘So I get too caught up in my own thoughts… Yeah, I guess you’re right about that.’ I let out a sigh as I threw him over my shoulder and used disinfectant on him before bringing him back to his party room.

I did my best to carry him, but he was heavier than he looked, making every step up the staircase shakier than the last until I made it to the top. After that, finding the door was easy. I stopped myself just before kicking it with my foot to knock. ‘Wait, how long am I planning on carrying him, his party can do that much can’t they?’ I gently set him down outside the door and slammed my fist into the door a few times.

 

“Coming.” I heard a gentle smooth voice call from inside and before long the door opened. 

 

When I saw a tall muscular and well-toned man open the door wearing nothing but worn-out baggy pants, I froze.

 

“Yes?” his smooth voice resonated through my whole body as I slowly looked up at his large ruby-colored eyes.

 

“Uh… Are You with the short knight and the drunk guy?”

 

A small smile crept onto his face as he chuckled, raising a hand to his mouth. He leaned his back against the doorframe, placing a foot against it as well. “Oh fearless leader, someone is here to see us.”

 

He swiped his hand through his blood-red hair, half of which was snow white, and braided back behind his sharply pointed ear. Every move he made seemed relaxed and confident, as if he wasn't the least bit surprised by me, or curious as to why I was there.

 

He didn't even so much as glance at the passed-out man behind me, staring directly into my eyes the whole time.

 

“Yes, oh, well if it isn’t Chika.”

 

I shook my head, forcing myself to take my eyes off the elf and look at the man speaking to me. “Yeah, your friend passed out again, well. This time he just fell asleep. Still, it was on the streets just outside so I figured I might as well bring him in.”

 

He raised a hand to his head. “That man is going to be the death of us all. At least he isn't this irresponsible while we're outside the camp walls…”

8