Chapter Four
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Things that Myra wished she did not have to wake up to:
Her mother screaming about burned bread.
The smell of some really burned bread.
A very wet tongue licking her face.
And she honestly did not know which one of those was the worst.
Golden eyes stared at her, as the tongue darted from the bottom of her chin to her forehead. Making her whole face very wet and very sticky.
Myra moved her face away from the wet source and softly patted the white head, hoping that the dragon understood that she is awake and does not need to be woken up any further.
Nerves crashed down into her as Myra remembered all the events from yesterday and how they weren’t just a really strange dream from something she might have eaten or drank.
It was also her first day of training, which she really wasn’t prepared for.
There wasn’t much of a choice of clothing for Myra. She usually wore the same clothes, white dress or white tunic and trousers, both usually with an apron to help her not get stains while she baked.
They just might not be the best clothing choice for learning combat.
Just from yesterday, and her quick tumble on the sand, Myra knew all her clothes were going to get stained and most likely not last a week.
She hoped the king paid some sort of salary for the dragon riders so she could save and buy similar leathers to the others.
But for today a tighter white top and some loose white trousers would do.
Myra quickly rushed down the stairs while tying up her long blonde hair, feeling the dragon following closely behind.
Most baskets were placed on the counter, ready to be taken for delivery.
Ayra quickly put her hand on Myra's shoulder as she passed, grabbing her shoes and getting ready to leave for the morning.
While her mother still spoke about the smell that now lingered in the home, which Myra found out was her fathers mistake after he heated up the oven for a moment too long.
Her mothers face was still puffy and eyes red from crying the night before and she was sure her father was most likely distracted because of her as well.
With it being the morning, everything felt normal again.
Like nothing has changed.
No one paid any attention to her or said anything about what was awaiting her at the palace, her family lost in their usual morning pattern.
With everyone busy, Myra quickly said goodbye to her family, grabbed the basket for the palace and left for her training.

 


 

It didn’t take long for her to arrive.
Similar to yesterday people moved aside for her and even the guards at the front just let her pass without stopping her.
Which only made Myra a little upset since she really wanted to see Wamir again and speak to him for a bit longer than she did the day before.
With how much time she would now have to spend at the palace, she was sure more opportunities would arise.
Just when Myra reached the main hall she spotted the prince looking at her.
Instead of the elegant robe from the day before, the prince now wore clothes nearly identical to Imran. Only main difference was that instead of the red fabric covering the king guard and the purple fabric Imran wore, the prince wore a sheer golden fabric. The prince still had the chain in his hair and additionally wore three golden bracelets on his forearm.
Dragon riders certainly had to be in good shape. The uniform exposed most of the stomach and Myra thought Imran was well built yesterday.
Well the prince certainly put him to shame.
“What are you wearing?” The prince’s deep voice echoed through the hall.
Myra quickly glanced down at herself before meeting his gaze. “Well it’s not like someone gave me something to wear. Nor do I have the royal bank to go out and buy such fine clothes on a whim.”
“And that?” He points at the basket.
“You eat bread from somewhere you know.”
“Come with me.”
She considered for a second if she should follow the prince. The trainer told her she would meet her at the main hall, but she doubted it was her place to disobey the prince.
They walked in silence as he took her down a familiar route that led to the kitchens.
The silence only got interrupted once, when the dragon that followed so closely behind decided to start running in the opposite direction. Myra was about to chase after her but the prince just grabbed her wrist and made her continue following him.
In moments, they made it and the prince waited for her as she handed over the basket to the chef.
Madri gaped at her the whole time and not so subtly mouthed what is the prince doing here. It took all of Myra’s will power not to laugh at her friend as she panicked and started to work faster around the prince.
She would come back later and tell her friend about everything that has happened.
But for now, she followed him again.
This time the walk was longer, the hallway became thinner yet more elegant. The patterns on the walls became more complex and the door had special engravings on them that Myra could not read.
As the doors became further apart from each other, Myra wondered if she should be worried about where the prince was bringing her or what his plan was.
Prince Cairo finally stopped and opened a sandstone door with blue gems on it, which led to a spacious bedroom. The bed was large enough to fit four people on it, there was a table larger than the one Myra’s family possessed and a chandelier in the middle that looked like it was made of diamonds. Straight ahead, there was a large glass door leading to a balcony that overlooked the whole capital and right before the entrance there was another small room with an ivory bath inside.
Myra’s legs moved on their own as she made her way to the balcony, she couldn’t help but gasp at the view. The glass door was large enough that the prince could sleep on the bed while still watching the night sky or the lights illuminating from the city.
The prince didn’t say anything as she took in the view. Prince Cairo moved quietly behind her as he went towards a cabinet.
“Put these on, they should fit since it’s mostly material and you can adjust it.” His voice was soft as he handed her clothing similar to his.
“I can’t take these.” Her voice was full of disbelief. “I’m sure they will provide me with my own set soon.”
He shoved the clothes into her hands. The material was softer than anything she has ever held. “That whole cabinet is full of them, take it.”
"Where do I go to put them on?"
His finger pointed towards the bathing chambers and the prince sat down on the bed.
Myra hid behind the wall of the bathing chamber as she started to take off her clothes and replace them with the luxurious fabrics.
The black leather trousers were no doubt too long on her, but they were much better for training than what she had on. Next she put on a silk red and gold top that again was too big but Myra could make it fit with other fabrics.
Most of all she was thankful Prince Cairo even considered giving her a top. Myra certainly did not want to expose all of her top half to the world. Only a few have seen those parts and she would like to keep it that way.
Now she just needed to figure out how to work all the other loose fabric.
Which was way too confusing.
She wasn't sure how much time had passed as she tried to wrap the fabrics around her, but they never looked like they did on the prince or Imran. It never looked right or even similar how it did on the other guards.
“Are you done?” The prince grunted.
“I didn’t know these fabrics would be my first challenge.”
Myra heard the prince sigh and his footsteps moved closer. In a few moments he stood in front of her and took the fabrics out of her hands.
Prince Cairo placed his fingers on her chin, lifting up her face, so their eyes could meet. “Pay attention, I will not show this to you again.”
His hands moved quickly around as he wrapped the fabrics around her torso and shoulders. Myra tried to repeat all the movements in her mind so she wouldn’t make a fool out of herself tomorrow but the prince's close proximity made her feel lightheaded and it was hard to stop looking into his turquoise eyes.
Placing the light leather armour on top of her shoulders, Myra attempted to move away from the prince.
His hands quickly grabbed her waist and pulled her back.
“Did I say I’m done?” He said.
“Apologies, your highness.” Myra whispered. It was her mistake, she just thought the prince was done as the uniform looked complete and there was no fabric left to wrap her in.
The prince moved his head down, stopping right before their heads would touch.
Hands moved around her waist, tucking in the colourful fabric she had seen on other king’s guard. Myra couldn’t look down on what colour the prince had chosen for her, too mesmerised at the proximity of their faces and bodies.
“Just call me Cairo.” He said before moving away and turning around.
Myra looked down to see the prince had put the golden fabric she had seen on him. The sheer material shined slightly as she moved her hips.
A faint smile appeared on her lips as she looked back on the prince. Myra hoped that maybe he was just wary of her the day before and today would go much better.
They moved quickly down empty hallways towards a lone building behind the palace.
The building was run down and looked as if it could fall apart at any moment. The old dark wood had small holes in places and has been discoloured in even more. It was taller than many libraries and temples of the warship Myra has seen.
It would be an extraordinary building if she wasn’t scared that the roof just might collapse on her head.
“Should that building not be fixed?” Myra asked.
She might as well have been speaking to air itself as Cairo completely ignored her questions.
He didn’t even look at her as he kept walking towards the old building.
The door screeched as the prince opened it for her and the building was as rundown inside as it was on the outside.
As Myra moved forwards, she stared at the almost endless building. The hall just kept on going and the end was invisible due to the darkness present inside. The few windows present did little for the light, the building was too large for the small windows to cover.
There were various weapons hanging on the walls and together with the training dummies, Myra knew this was the place she was going to spend most of her days in.
Familiar scales rubbed against her leg and Myra looked at the small dragon next to her. The white scales were covered in mud as if the creature was rolling around in it since she run off earlier.
All Myra could think about was the pain of having to wash the mud off and hoped the dragon would like water enough to be washed. Prince Cairo chuckled when he saw her facial expression, as if understanding the exact thoughts she was having.
Cairo looked into the endless darkness as if he saw something that her eyes didn't quite catch.
The ground shook as a loud thud echoed through the building.
Bright bright green eyes looked out towards Myra, slowly creeping closer towards her.
She stumbled backwards, couldn't help the fear that run through her body. Her body pressed into the prince, his height and broad body made her feel small.
The prince didn't step away as he spoke. "That's Astarot." The prince moved closer towards the large eyes that watched them. "He won't harm you."
As those words left the prince's mouth a black dragon that was the size of at least two houses emerged.
The beast was beautiful.
Myra was stunned from both the fear she felt and the breathtaking view in front of her.
As she took astarot in, she couldn’t quite believe how such a small dragon like her white companion could grow into that size.
"Dragons never really stop growing. The older they get the larger they are. astarot is twelve so he is the largest we currently have." Cairo said.
The prince stepped towards his dragon and softly pet his head, the bright green eyes gleamed with excitement and joy.
It didn't take long for the white ball to run up to the larger beast and start playing with the large legs. In response astarot just moved his front leg slightly, playing back with the baby dragon.
Looking at the size difference, Myra worried that by accident astarot could squish her companion to death, his paw was the size of the baby dragon.
"I'm glad you decided to show up." Sayer's said, snapping Myra attention away from the dragon play.
The trainer took a look at Myra and his eyes widened in surprise, followed by a raised brow at the price.
"Cairo was kind enough to give me clothes that were more suitable for training."
"Yes, I can see that." Sayers voice was sharp, not sounding pleased with this discovery.
"What can I say, you didn't see what she wore when she entered the main hall." Prince Cairo climbed the wing of his dragon, sitting on top of the magnificent beast. "Just asked how atrocious she looked." He chuckled as astarot started to move towards the large doors on the side.
Large wings spread across the entrance and with one swift movement, the dragon and the prince were gone into the skies.

 


 

Sayer did not waste time, the moment Myra stopped gazing at the sky, the trainer put her to work. Attacking her slowly, giving her time to dodge and learn the best way to avoid the incoming fists, occasionally encouraging her to throw some attacks back.
What she didn’t expect is when Sayer started to move faster she was able to keep up. Somehow, the years Myra spent on her feet, running from one end of Daran to the other, made her quick on her feet. And it was much easier to focus on dodging the hands of the trainer, in a chilled building rather than a boiling capital market.
They continued that dance for hours, till sweat dripped from Myra’s brow and her stomach demanded food.
The only indication Sayer has given her that it’s time for a break is walking into one of the rooms into the far right corner.
Myra took this opportunity to rest. The floor felt blissful against her skin and she laid down in it. The chill tiles cool downed her muscles and her lungs burned from the heavy exercise she was not accustomed to.
The dragon has watched her patiently the entire time and Myra realised that she will have to name the creature soon. If she was considered worthy to be the rider, Myra needed to accept the bond they shared and the dragon as her companion by giving her a name.
Sayer sat down close to her, passing over a piece of bread with some meat and cheese on the side. It was difficult for Myra not to salivate at the sight of food. Thinking about it she forgot to eat breakfast due to the rush she was in.
"How much do you know about the last war and the history of dragons?" The trainer said.
"Not much, only what is whispered on the streets." Myra sighed.
She wished she knew more about the history of Shaya, but her parents could not afford schooling for her or Ayra. She was lucky enough that she was taught how to read and write unlike most children from the common households.
"As you know our kingdom warships the goddess Vira and we have been since the beginning of times." He continued. "She is the goddess of the sun and blesses our kingdom with light everyday, it is said she was the one who originally gave us dragons to help defend us from other kingdoms and those who worship gods with impure intentions. The riders were apparently blessed by Vira herself and given a bit of her light." The trainer lowered his head as he closed his eyes and narrowed his brows. "50 years ago, the followers of Cerow, the god of darkness and shadow, rise up in the eastern kingdom of Beryan, overtaking their kingdom and attacking ours."
Sorrow present in Sayers voice as he tells the story. "The worshippers of Cerow possessed a dark magic, magic that has not been seen on this continent for hundreds of years. Easily going through our forces they slaughter anyone in their path. When they got to Daran our capital, they went straight for the dragon unit and the dragon eggs we possessed." Sayer's eyes were glazed as he recalled the memories. "The dark magic was something the unit has never dealt with and most dragon riders together with the dragons got slaughtered that day, those who survived took 5 remaining eggs and run away to the desert dunes to hide them. Only telling the king and queen where the eggs were hidden."
Myra finished eating her meal and sat up while the story continued. "On the way back, the dragon riders were attacked. No dragons survived and only one rider made it. At this point the capital has been seized and the king went into hiding. The followers of Cerow ruled the kingdom for 3 months before the king came back with an army and with the element of surprise took back our land."
"You were the only rider left?" Myra asked quietly.
Sayer nodded. "Yes, unfortunately so. I was still a young rider when I lost Kelyon, my dragon. But I'm the only one left to pass on my knowledge to new riders."
"Sorry you lost so many people." She wasn't sure what to say to Sayer. Never spoke to someone who experienced that much loss and pain in their life. "Could you tell me more about the dragons and the threat now?"
"Dragons only hatch when they sense their rider close by and they are the only ones who can choose who that is. While they might not talk back, due to the bond you will have an understanding of each other like with no one else. And if you die the dragon will die, but as you can see not the other way round." He explained. "As to the current threat, the followers of Carow still exist in hiding. Both our kingdom and Beryan won against them and eliminated the dark magic but it is said the current leader was born being able to wield it. The rebel groups who follow Carow and the new leader are in hiding somewhere and occasionally caused trouble in the kingdoms."
"Has anyone discovered what the dark magic is?"
"No, from what I remember during the attacks it created eternal darkness to the person targeted, unable to see anything that happened. They were able to shape it into weapons and other forms. The dark magic was always changing and developing, that's why only a surprise attack worked at the end. They didn't have time to call upon it." His voice trembled and Myra couldn't imagine the fear one had to feel when facing such a mysterious force. "Magic was said to have left the continent millennia ago, no books exist covering how to deal with it."
This was way too much information at once.
It was information that should be available to all public. Everyone deserved to know the sacrifices made by others and the brave warriors who defend us against the darkness.
Myra honestly felt ashamed she knew so little of the war and wished she didn't have to listen to Sayer tell it, wished he didn't have to retell his most painful moments.
"How many eggs are there left now?" She asked.
"We found more hidden in the palace. Now, after this one cracked, there are 4 more eggs." Sayers voice full of sorrow.
With the followers of Cerow rising again and with so little eggs and only three dragon riders, including her left. Myra was one the last hopes of the kingdom of finally finishing the war against darkness.

0