Volume I: Lust of the Mind I.
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            The bird’s singing rang through the long pathway of radiant white marble columns and arches. Blossoming shrubs carefully planted and trimmed beyond the rails – tenderly ornamented with vines – where the bees gently hummed and thrummed in their demanding hours – as they collected sweet honey from one flower and another.

“How was your day my little rose?” Through this the cold and soft sound of armored steps joined in – paired eerily well with Terrianis’s soft, whispery voice. He wore a torilis – a one piece attire that flowed with natural creases, exposed his well-honed fair chest – brimming with the hues of the late season of growth and renewal. A golden vambrace adorned his right arm with a sizeable gem of amber hue embedded into its center. The source of the metallic steps, a pair of ocrealabs – aevhen crafted greaves that tenderly enfolded his feet, resembling the feet of dragons.

“Today we advanced into the Laws of Transmutation and Animation with Magistriar Prisceirith. Father.” Aurelithae followed beside him wearing a similar fitted piece of toriliae of bright luminous hues that fitted her combed up hair. Unlike her father she wore a pair of calciamentuls of fine leather kind that made little noise as she elegantly strode along. Yet occasionally it made a squealing sound thankfully drowned out by the movement of the Impirith Praetoriir behind them.

“Oh, tell us. What did you animate?” Terrianis inquired with a faint smile. He slowed his pace noticing Aurelithae as he noticed her daughter struggling a bit on keeping up with his long steps.

“Well Father…” She started a bit awkwardly. “From metal that I transmuted from water I shaped and animated a raven. But only managed to hold up its form for a few seconds before it changed back to its fluid state.” Hearing those words, Terrianis’s eyes flickered a little.

“Why a raven my little one? If you don’t mind our question.” The entourage of his 17th daughter of his 9th mate passed by. She and the accompanying royal guard – clad in their vibrant prismatic and finely segmented plate armor pieces with the finest of aevhen sewn silk tunica’s under them – bowed respectfully to the pair.

“In all honesty Father, I’m not sure. As the pleasant feeling of my mana coursed through me, the image of Sister Moirstyria rushed into my vision.” Aurelithae said while gazing upon the serene garden with a calmed expression. Terrianis on the other end kept his gaze on her daughter – his slit pupiled eyes faintly shimmered with pride.

“So an inspiration that came from the Lady of the Lost.” He muttered to himself as he stopped for a moment. The three praetoriir noticing this halted within a mere moment too and waited for him to continue on.

 “Father, do you mind if I ask you about her? Just one thing that interested me reading about her feats.” The two changed their direction entering the garden. Then after a bit of hesitation – faintly visible on her innocent appearing face – she inquired while Terrianis leaned closer to a lotus flower, deeply inhaling its sweet, calming scent. For a moment his heart skipped a beat as the words entered his long, sharp ended ears.

“Of course you can ask us anything.” He said slightly turning back. “But be specific. Your older sister had quite the many feats over her short life.” A faint frown appeared on his divinely picturesque visage for a mere moment.

“Why have you released her so young and alone, Father?” Her nostrils tenderly expanded as she inhaled deeply, mustering her strength to voice those words out.

“Because she understood our role in this world. Seeing her eyes – the determination burning in them – hearing her words – laced with passion but not one of a naïve idealist – I knew she would garner the finest of folks to journey with her, to form her council unlike the others who just worked together with themselves.” His answer flowed naturally – compared to what she expected when inquiring a little fearfully.

“Now that you mention it. She was a bit older than you if we remember correctly.” He added as he looked at her with mild pride in his eyes. For a moment he recalled facing Moistyria at the same age, inquiring about the possibility of being released from the educative confinement that was the Radiant Keep.

“Really Father?” She said as uneasiness washed over her. But her face never relented – remained as stoic as if she just heard what will be her dinner be for the day. Worry creeped into her mind, as she lamented bringing up the topic.

“Yes, she was. Like you she excelled in her maghia studies, and had Brother Augermil as his martial teacher.” As he reminisced of those days – his eyes moved towards the sky and shimmered softly as the sun’s light graced them.

“Thanks to Brother Albron – could I venture out earlier?” Against her senses, she inquired.

“Possibly. We’ll see if you’ll possess the same flames that burned in her eyes, melded her words.” He looked at her with a kind fatherly expression as he exhaled the fresh air. “But for now – keep to your studies. We must have to go now.” The two embraced each other and she felt his warmth fade as his perfect projection dissipated into prismatic particles that floated high towards the sky.

**

“Wow – you look like one of those fancy aevhei now.” Euthymius said as he looked at his older brother with his gleaming blue eyes. Isocrates was in the middle of dressing up into his Academy uniform. Which itself consisted of a refined toga of alabaster and azure hues, the latter which was inspired by the realm of the Fateweaver, the Sea of Knowledge that shimmered with a deep azure hue. Under it a faint silvery tunic with a wide neck and a set of ornaments imbued with inscription that helped with the intake of knowledge.

“Will you repeat that each morning you can wake up to catch me while preparing?” Isocrates asked while he finished draping the toga over his tall, slender yet muscular body honed through work – which also resulted in some scars hidden by them.

“Yes.” He said without a flutter and an innocent tone.

“Then I guess I’ll have to wake up earlier so you won’t be late.” Isocrates said as he grabbed his bag and lifted his brother – who like a baby ape on his mother’s arm, latched onto his brother’s muscular right.

“Here Dad!” As soon as they stepped out into the short and tight corridor, they ran into their father – a tall man in his prime with dark hair and a full beard. “Thanks. Come Euth. Be well Isocrates.” With a bit of hesitation Euthymius climbed onto his father’s back and the two disappeared leaving Isocrates alone before he continued onto the kitchen.

“Morning sweetheart.” His mother – a fair lady with chestnut long hair and a few creases under her eyes – greeted him with freshly baked bread.

“Morning Mother!” Isocrates reciprocated the greeting with a warm hug as he stole one of the largest of the baked breads filled with sweet peach jelly.

“Bring one to that Luelia dear.” Hearing those words Isocrates squirmed a little in tandem with his mood worsening.

“I will, but I have to hurry now or I will be late. Have to check out a few things in the House of Records so do not wait for me if I am not home by lunch time.” He released his muscular arms that wrapped and grabbed two more of the sweet bakeries before he excused himself through the home. For a short while he stood outside staring at the sky slowly turning into warmer hues that elevated his mood. He looked at the bakery and with a smile put both away and headed to the academy while whistling.

**

“Doubts haunting your mind old friend?” Naghig’s words resonated in his heart as Mirayroth watched the flames consuming the wood – his obsidian scales glinted in the warm light.

As he approached the elderly niuvhe sitting lonely in the dark room – the door closed with the faint groan of stone grating against itself. But contrary to his words, his first destination was the table laid with roasted and seasoned carcass of a bovine creature native to the island. With his naked hand, he grabbed the still sizzling bony, thick meat drenched in its own fat.

“Could say so. But you know me – I always had doubts when it came to them.” Mirayroth said as he watched his own reflection in the dark wine’s seamless, soft surface before he gulped down the rest of it. The tearing of flesh that echoed within the room awakened a hunger he thought ceased hours ago and within moments, he approached the bovine’s delicious carcass with starving calm eyes.

“Well, her latest kill was quite gruesome – so I think we could say she’s on the right path.” Naghig said – his words muffled as he grinded the tender pinkish meat between his teeth. The various flavors of the meat converged in his mouth as the torn meat grinded between his sharpened teeth, and with a gulp headed down into a bottomless abyss down at his belly.

“That is not what casts the shadow of doubt upon me. And a part of me is relieved that she is on our side. But even Moirstyria was older when she took her first life.” Unlike Naghig, Mirayroth elegantly tore into the meat on his plate – slicing pieces from the limb, then floated them into his mouth. He chewed for thirty-seven times before he started speaking while a faint smile surfaced on his alabaster face as the flavors of the meat filled him with heat.

“So now you feel bad that we’re making a child into a murderer. Not like she is the first – that either we or the world made to be one so early.” His deep belch echoed through the whole room followed by slight hiccups. To combat these Naghig reached for his keg filled with plentiful of Haugstier Beer he bought in the lowest levels of the city.

“I know. This feeling will pass no doubt. Still I wonder what would she think of us if she would still be here.” As he sat down, he looked at his clawed hands with obsidian nails – tainted by grease and small chunks of meat that remained from the tearing of roasted flesh.

“No doubt she would hate us. Not just for what we’re doing with her own kin – but for the deal we made.” Naghig said as his eyes glinted in the flames. “But no doubt she would understand us when it will all go down and becomes another piece on the wall of the world.”

“Sometimes I forgot that you can be philosophical my friend.” Mirayroth said as he blankly stared at him.

“It comes with the age.” His smile while considered eerie by others, to Mirayroth it was strangely soothing. “Oh before I forget once again. I gave her the coin, but she hasn’t visited the place yet as far as my agents know.” He softly exhaled while lurching down to continue feeding on the meat – then recalled giving Aurelithae the coin.

“I see. I still believe it may be early for her to find the diary.” Mirayroth swinged his index finger pointed at the roasted limb, and severed a hefty slice that hovered between his tongue and teeth.

“Then maybe, you should be there when she finds it. Talk with her a bit. It may fasten the healing of your mind’s ailments.” Naghig said while he chewed on meat, gulped some beer.

“Hmm. Maybe I will.” He said then the two enjoyed the rest of the roasted bovine meat while watching the flames cracking softly.

0