Volume I: Lust of the Mind II.
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Almost there.” Isocrates said between deep breaths as he reached the seven hundred and thirty fifth step out of the seven hundred and fifty steps leading up to the House of Records. His uniform that was just cleaned the day before drenched in his sweat as he collapsed down to take a little break. The only thing cooled his body a little were the necklace’s that were made of a metal that stayed relatively cool even in warmer temperatures.

He concluded silently – within his thoughts – that at least it was worth it for the view. His eyes glinted with wonder as he watched the capital dressed in hues of amber and mauve as the sun slowly shifted into its lunar phase, painting the sky in these spectacular hues before the darkness enveloped the whole world.

With his hands locked besides each other – palm facing the sky – a faint smile curved onto his face as the pleasant feeling of mana coursed into them. A small puddle of water – which tasted sweet, fruity – appeared in his palms. After refreshened thanks to the conjured water, he stood up and continued the long climb he started an hour and a half ago.

“Luelia?” As he reached the top, he exclaimed noticing Aurelithae standing still – frozen in a moment – be-fore turning around with a surprised look. His heart started beating a little faster and he felt like collapsing.

“Iso?” She said softly – her expression remained blank while she felt anxious in that moment.

A kind smile slowly formed on his face. “It’s been a while.”

“Truly been a long time.” Aurelithae said in a low tone as she looked up to the now matured boy who tow-ered over her.

“So how is the academy?” She asked awkwardly when she noticed the sweaty garments on him as the shad-ows converged onto her youthful form. Cold seeped into the layers of her attire and she subconsciously walked to the edge of the stairs to seek the warmth of the sun.

“Well, at first, I was really anxious. What would the folks think of me, the son of a miner being amongst them. But the teachers so far had been kind, the other’s kind of a mixed bag if I’m being honest.” Isocrates sat down beside her and enjoyed the escaping sun’s light warming him after the mountainous wind’s dried him.

“And you? How are things with them?” He carefully looked around before asking. He only noticed the two guards of the House of Records clad in their silver armor with a tingent of azure glow with helmets that followed the lines of their heads, their faces mimicking the Fateweaver’s visage lacking ears, mouth sewn together, lightless eyes which’s lids were eternally locked.

“You know I can’t really talk about that. At least not right now.” She said to him while focusing on the buzzling city laid out before her.

“True. But then again, I guess you have business here. Better I don’t hold you up here any longer.” Isocrates’s knees creaked like an old mans as he slowly got up and straightened his outfit. Aurelithae held her soft palms close to his garments and as just as he felt a heat, the sweat evaporated from his clothes.

“How is Euthy?” As she finished the spell she asked timidly while he stood up and thanked her with a heart-felt smile.

He felt a weight fell from his heart hearing her question. “He misses you a bit. If you’re free sometime could visit. Dad and Ma would like that too probably.”

“I’ll catch up soon, so till then take care and be careful!” Isocrates stopped and hesitated to continue on – then turned around and said that made her smile faintly. Awkwardly, he reached into his bag and threw the sweet bakery to Aurelithae. “Mother made it for you.” He said as he turned back one last time, not noticing the wide smile on her face.

**

“Come on Aur. You just have to step through those doors.” After Isocrates entered the House of Records – the oldest structure in the capital – Aurelithae waited for a few minutes before she decided to head in. But as soon as she stepped five feet closer, her legs froze and doubts filled her heart and mind.

Trying to hush the seeds of doubt – that already sprouted – she gazed upon and inspected every detail of the building built into the side of the western mountain itself. The two statues depicting the Stitcher of Fates – a bald figure without ears, sewn mouth, eyes closed shut. Six long arms – adding to the eerie feeling his figure creates – with threads sprouting from his six nails on each, while the center ones were inscribed with aelvish runes akin to the writing’s in grimoires and books.

On the far sides and framing the ornated door – resembling an open book in shape and frame – were col-umns meticulously sculpted and shaped to resemble masses of uncurled threads heading from floor to ceil-ing. Each hued in all color spectrums. She recalled the building itself wasn’t built by her grandfather or great-grandfather but by an ancient sect of Septurrion whom found their way onto this plane earlier than the races.

As she recalled all of these, in her curiosity to touch the renovated – through transmutation and stonework – she got closer and closer to her destination, the doubts lingering within her faded slowly. She sighed then placed her hand on the knob, and pushed with all her little natural might.

“Welcome to the House of Records! How may I help you little lady?” An elderly man – blessed with gentle creases and slight aevhen features including mildly long ears and graceful wise eyes – greeted her standing on the right sitting behind the oaken counter.

Aurelithae reached into her pocket and held out the coin. “Ah, another one of you majesties.” With gentle motions, he stroked his long, bluntly flowing chin beard. “Come. This way.”

A gap appeared in the counter that ran from wall to wall. Similarly, the ancient stone bricks moved, revealing a fluid mirror surface in which no reflection showed as the two faced it. “Go, and follow the path of your heart to find solace or the path of your mind to sate your curiosity.”

“How will I know which is which?” Aurelithae asked while her eyes remained on the portal.

“The Fate-Weaver will help you. Which in this case means you will feel it.” The elderly man said with a chuckle before he returned to his post silently. Her chest puffed out then she closed her eyes while her legs moved. For a moment she felt a sensation similar to her skin and hair getting moistened as she stepped through. Then as he said, she stood in a path that diverged into two, seven steps away whence she stood alone.

As she stepped closer to the right path, her heart slowed in its pace – a serene sensation filled her being. Then when she approached the left – her mind calmed down, all the thoughts that pervaded it the past hour silenced and while at the same time she could focus on all of them.

“Now which way?” She closed her eyes for a moment, then as she opened them – a figure in white robes glided between two doors like a phantom.

“Mirayroth!” Aurelithae yelled as she rushed after the figure deep in her mind knowing she stepped on the right path – the path of answers. As she turned, her eyes caught the white robe disappearing in another. Turn after turn she rushed until she reached a mundane appearing door with a gloomy knocker in its rough sur-face. Moving her right arm proved harder than she thought after reaching this location. As she touched the cold metal, runes appeared on its surface and a pleasant feeling filled her as if it wanted to signal its recognition of her.

The door slowly creaked open, revealing a small room with two bookshelves on each side, and a table in the center. On top of it, a pristine covered book rested with a gilded spine. Aurelithae stood there frozen and gulped while unaware of him watching from afar with hollow eyes with the abyss settled within them.

**

“Another night, another pale moon.” Terrianis said as he stood over the pond. Two koi fishes swam in har-monious circles.

The two were gifts from his hundred and seventh wives father – the consul of the Tsuormo Archipelago in the far north-east.

“Ah brother didn’t know you were here.” Augermil said as he just stepped down the stairs noticing the haunting figure of his younger brother.

“We know. There was no other way for us to catch you.” Hearing those words Augermil’s hulking figure shook – his gaudy, ceremonial armor plates clinked even.

Augermil mustered his strength. Walked slowly towards Terrianis and watched the two fish stopping in their dance – seemingly locking their eyes on the two handsome giants.  “You know I won’t change my mind about going through with the ritual.”

“We’re aware. All we ask is delay it. At least until we got a better grasp on who truly is behind the attack, and how would the greatest of dragon kin disappeared.” Terrianis’s warm touch to his shoulders brought a sense of solace and calmness. Both which were needed for him as this failure gnawed at him for years now.

“I’ll wait. I’ll take one more look at the island. Maybe we missed something there.” Hearing those words weights fell from Terrianis’s shoulders and his lips curved into a perfect faint smile.

“Good. We hope your search will bring results. But for now let’s rest, this is a beautiful night.” He inhaled a handful of the night air as his head gracefully tilted upwards. His features, touched by the moon's ethereal light, were akin to the chiseled marvels carved by celestial hands upon the night sky.

**

Her eyes slowly followed the syllables carefully – and gracefully – inked on the pages. The gleam in them shifted constantly. First confusion as she read the lines all too familiar, yet unexpected. Then understanding showed in her eyes. This cycle repeated seemingly endless as her soft hands flipped pages to pages.

As she was deep in the contents of the ornate covered book, her ears became deaf to the steps that slowly approached her – belonging to the enigmatic figure of Mirayroth draped in alabaster and obsidian. His usual mask worn when strolling outside his hideouts veiling his handsome nievhen visage. He stood silently in the door, watching her with his doubts still poking his heart as he looked at her with nostalgic eyes.

Then he knocked on the door.  “Ah, Mirayroth! Have you found what you searched for?” She asked after her head swiftly jolted up from the contents of the book.

“You could say so.” He said misunderstanding the question as he slowly walked to her and sat onto the ta-ble. “What about you?”

“In a way – yes. Just never expected any of this if I am being honest.” The book that contained the hand-writing of his father now rested closed in her hands – sundry feelings danced within her head as she slowly processed of what she just read.

“Moirstyria was just as confused as you are now. But it makes sense to know the needs of those you rule over, to walk in their steps I think she said when she mentioned it to me. Which is why she chosen the path she walked on.” Mirayroth recalled the day when Moirstyria revealed her reasons to mingle amongst the common folk, the reason of why she chose to continue pursuing a path of an adventurer, a warrior instead of a consul.

“Are you doing this for her?” Picking up on the faint affection in his voice, she asked set on the answer al-ready within her mind.

A mild curve appeared on his alabaster face under the mask. “How perceptive. It started out as a promise to her when she was dying, but I’m also doing it for the future of the people. A future they are all too oblivious to.” His eyes glinted with a tinge of solemnity as her even paler face flashed in his mind.

“And you are not? I mean why not just rise in the hierarchy then do all this through father?” Silence filled the room as both averted their gazes. But in the end, she gave voice to her doubts regarding Mirayroth’s path which she had little clue where would end.

“You’re right, that is one path I could take even now. But it is a path that is sweet along the way, but leads to… bad things. But that is all I can tell you now.” He said – his gaze pierced into her questioning eyes.

“How typical. Even here I have to find answers to myself.” She felt annoyed hearing those words. Words she had been bombarded with all her life so far. Both by her father and her siblings.

“That is our way. Now rest, there are still a few tasks I’ll have for you this week.” Mirayroth slowly rose up and said with a soothing tone before he disappeared in a blink of an eye – leaving nothing behind just some shadowy particles that slowly dissipated. And uncertainty in her heart.

0