Vol.1 Ch.4 (test run) | Royal Researcher
16 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hey, Calaz?"

"Hmm?"

"Say, if one day there was a choice given in front of you where you have to save one of two people, which one will choose?"

"What kind of vague question is that? I need more context."

"Umm~ Let's say they are both random people. You might have met them before or might not have. Which one will you save?"

"... None."

" *Sigh* Some times I don't understand if I'm the Calamity or you."

"Your literal title is 'The Clalamity Witch' though."

"You...! *Sigh* Let's say you have to save one atleast!"

"... Uhhh... The one who won't trouble me the most."

"The hell! What kind of answer is that!"

"... Umm... I mean what else can I say. If I don't know them both, why should I even bother saving them? And even if I have to save one, I'll obviously choose the one who'll be less of a hessle to me, no?"

"You... are nuts. Sometimes I think you are worse off than the Dravinians."

"Oh please don't insult me like that, ******." (<-mentioning her name)

"You know what, lets change the question. Say if there was me and your sister, Kikiri, on the line. Who will you save this time?"

"Simple, I'll save you both and die in your stead."

"... I don't know if you are selfish or just an idiot."

"I'm both."

"Yeah yeah, selfish idiot!

"Ok, Calamity Witch~"

"You-"

***

... 

*Sigh* 

Just what was that... dream? 

She always used to ask the weirdest question whenever we were alone, huh?

Looking at the clock, it was still 6 in the morning. Kiri, she probably didn't even wake up yet. Well, she is still 15. While I'm a 38 year old in the body of an 8 year old child. 

"It's... peaceful." That was the only thing I could mutter after looking out the window.

I remember too few things from the past... no, the future. What can I even do with the few things I do remember? 

Nothing... 

I do remember a few historic events but they're all related to Mana and stuff. For my condition, that's just no good. 

My condition... now that I think about it, it's been a long time since I thought about it, huh?

I had a specific condition, called bottomless mana storage/pool. Just as it sounds, my mana storage is literally bottomless. It might sound like a good thing, but it wasn't. 

Bottomless meant that even you, yourself couldn't use the mana in your body. So, what's the point of these events if it'll do me no benefit.

"Haah..."

...

..

.

The days continued on. Time flew and so did my idle days in the school. 

It's been nearly two week since the meeting with the Baron. Yet, there is still no news. 

I have to hurry. I have to find her and also go to a place where my people wouldn't be hurt even if the Dravinians attack. 

And, also, I have to find the answers as to why I have regressed. Who and why did they do this... Haaah... I don't know...

"Hey, Calaz!"

"What is it, Bena?" Bena started talking to me more after I told her that I saw her at the mension. She told me not to say anything to anyone and I also didn't want to be in unnecessary hassle as to why I was in the Duke's Mension. 

"Father told me to invite you. Dinner is on our house today. So, bring your sister along, too."

"... Okay. Tell him, I'll arrive for the 'Dinner'." Finally, it's time. 

The royal inspectors probably arrived. They probably already checked it. But, it seems like the Duke will still respect the promise he kept to two kids, huh... 

... 

.. 

It was now night. Me and my sister stood in front of the gate of the mension. 

Soon the butler came and escorted both of us up to the dining table. 

We soon arrived at the dining room and as soon as we entered we saw a young lady stand there. 

Yes, it was Bena. 

"Young lady, what are you doing here? The lord hasn't even arrived yet."

"It's okay, uncle. I know that boy over there."

Both my sister and the butler looked at me with confusion. 

"We are schoolmates." I soon added.

""Ohh..."" Both my sister and the butler seemed like they finally understood.

"Just schoolmates? Not friends?"

"Sure, friends on the side."

"On the side?! Are you kidding me?"

"Ok ok I am kidding."

We were joking around and soon the Baron arrived. 

""Respect to the Baron!"" Both me and my sister did a slight bow, since the Baron didn't like over the top formalities. 

"Hahaha, how have you guys been? Today, we have some guests from the Royal Capital!"

And soon a young man with a researchers coat over him walked in. He had light blonde hair and and green gem like eyes... 

Huh? Isn't that-

"Hello, my name is Themas Alreta. I am one of the head of the Royal Mana Disaster Inspectors."

Right, Themas. So, he was an mana disaster inspector before the invasion, huh?

We soon sat down on the dining table and they started slowly talking over the food, while I drifted off to my own thoughts.

I couldn't imagine I'd see him here in a small village. Themas Alreta, currently a mana disaster inspector but in the future, he was one of the greatest businessman in the world. 

He was a shrewd man. But shrewd doesn't mean slefish like me. He was shrewd but kind man. He was one of the leading figures trying to stabilise the invasion of the Dravinians. 

He had helped so many people that it was kind of amusing to me. 

Unlike somebody like me, who was naturally selfish and only cared about my own people, he was the same yet opposite. 

But being a leading figure in the invasion countering the Dravinians, he was one of the few the Dravinians were aware of and soon killed off 25 years in the future. 

We weren't really friends or anything but rather businesses partners. Affter losing her, I became so selfish, that people didn't even come near me. Yet, this man over here still tried forming a business partnership with me. 

Now that I think about it, it really was funny. This man was too-

"-Calaz! Calaz!!!"

"Huh?"

"Hahaha, look at our young genius, drifting off to his own thoughts." The Baron was saying so with a smile, yet Kiri was giving me death glares... I don't wanna go home tonight for some reason... 

"I am sorry, my lord. I was just thinking about the dire situation we have at our hand here."

"Hahaha! As I said it's fine. So, Mr. Themas, you can talk about the situation now." The Baron gave Themas a nudge to start talking.

"I have already done a check up through the mana disaster device provided by the Royal Mages. And honestly, the situation is... Dire."

As soon as he finished talking the mood in the room dropped a few notches. 

" *Sigh* As I suspected."

"Yes, to be honest, I am not even sure how this village even exists now."

"? What do mean, Mr. Themas?" The Baron questioned him with a serious expression. 

"The mana level in the region is so high, that without a mana disaster device we couldn't even tell that a mana disaster is going to happen."

He is right. The mana surrounding the village is too high. 

"In a normal situation, a disaster should've already happened but it didn't. That can only means... that it's building up more mana."

""..."" 

The whole room was silent. There was nothing anybody can say anything to really fix this mood now. 

"This young gentleman Calaz, if it hadn't been for him I don't know how many days you guys could have lived."

"Hahaha, the heaven really did send us a saviour in form of this genius!" 

Nevermind, there WAS something, this man can say to lift up the mood. 

"But, Baron, still it's a dire situation. We don't know when this disaster might happen. It can happen in a second from now on or even 10 years from now on. But it'll definitely happen. So, I better suggest you start a relocation plan and talk it out with magic transmission with the Emperor."

"Yes, I'll do so. But for today let us enjoy this dinner."

And soon everybody started eating and chit-chatting again, besides me that is. 

As I was thinking, this man Themas Alreta, as always he is an egoistic son of bitch. 

To be honest, his death was deserved. He was openly provoking the Dravinians and soon he got the results of it. 

Due to him, the moral of Earth was really down. 

... 

..

.

The dinner finished and soon everybody left. We were on our way to our home but somebody stopped us, Themas Alreta. 

"Hey, young lady Kikiri and Calaz!"

"H-hello, inspector Themas!" Even though my sis was shocked she still managed to reply well. But for me-

"Hello, too. Now, what is it want from us or should I say me in the middle of the night." I said with a little frown, w LLhile Kiri was looking at me dumbfounded.

Let's be honest, the frown on a little 8 year old kid probably looks funny. Maybe that's why-

"Pfft... A-ahemm... Hu-huu-hu (Breathing). Ahem, sorry about that." 

I... Wanna smash his head so bad...

"Anyway, are you really an 8 year old kid? You institution is too good for an 8 year old."

"For me, it's natural."

"... Well, as you said, I came to make an offer to you." He said with a smile. A shrewd one at that. 

"What is it?"

"You guys are going to be relocating soon. And honestly, the Emperor isn't merciless that he's going to separate the village from eachother. Rather he'll relocate the whole village as a one near a city. Probably a safe place." He's twisting his words.

"So?" I was also getting impatient. I don't like his face...

"So, I want to make you an offer. An offer that will benefit both you and your sister. And even a better future for you both."

My sister was interested at this point. But I knew there was something behind this. He's shrewd. No way will he make a losing offer.

"I want you guys to move to the royal capital. It might come as a shock but I will provide you guys with house, food, job, and even school."

Kiri was shocked at first but was starting to think a bit more regarding this offer. Yes, for sure it's an overly positive offer for us, but-

"... What is it that you want?" Now I am getting more suspicious.

"Yes, I definitely want someone or rather expect something from you. You can say that I am investing on you."

"Why? What did you find so interesting in me that you are going to such length."

"Do you think it's a coincidence? The fact that you pulled out a device out of nowhere and said that you learned it from a book? No way."

Tch... He's catching on. As I said, a shrewd son of a bitch.

"Even though the book does mention the disaster device, it's not to the length of the one you built."

"??? What do you mean?"

"You see kids don't have much dexterity. Their hands are small and it's ever changing till they grow to a certain point. Yet, you built it with such perfection that I myself, a royal researcher couldn't do it as perfectly as you did."

"..."

Kiri was glancing from me to Themas repeatedly. She probably doesn't understand what's going on and it's better that way. 

"So, that's why I am investing in you, little Calaz. I just hope that when you grow up you will be able to help me a little if needed."

Superficial.

"... Why go to such length?"

"Because I find you interesting. And you don't have to answer me today. I am staying here for a week at the Baron's Mension. Feel free to come and answer me later."

Why is it happening like this?

He turned his back on us and started walking away. While me and Kiri also slowly went back to our home.

The tension between us was a bit... tense.

TBC-

Hey! This chapter was really bloody long. Took me several continuous days ro actually finish this. 

Also, only 1 more chapter left till the vote/poll. 

I'll try to add as much story as possible in the next chapter. But I hope tou understand that it'll be the last on every one of the publishing sites. 

Anyway see you till next chapter. <3

3