Chapter 21: Film Rating
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alexander's indulgence in idleness finally came to an end.

The month of November is coming along, which meant that the Creeds can hopefully showcase Kevin McAllister to the world.

Little Creed was too focused on jogging, typing, and schooling for the past couple of days that he wasn't able to keep track of old Creed's activities.

------

"How's everything going, grandpa? Any updates on the screening?"

"Dealing with the theaters and distribution would have to wait a while. Getting a rating for a film classified as an indie production, for its low budget, isn't that high in the MPAA's priority!" Sullivan only had to test his patience for a while and everything should go smoothly according to his estimates. "They don't treat this old man's lobbying quite seriously but they'll know soon enough."

This was the very part that baffled the clueless grandson.

"Lobbying? By yourself?" Alexander put the pieces together and inquired. "Isn't that the responsibility of the distribution company? Who among the major studio or any other issuing company out there could dupe a scammer like you, grandpa?!"

"I am not a scammer. I just trick people to earn money for my benefit. As for issuing companies, it would be better to theatrically release it with my capabilities."

"Isn't scammer and tricking the same thi... Uh, never mind!" Alexander didn't want to squabble much and just wanted clarity. "So, what's your plan, exactly? I don't recall you owning an established company like New Line or Touchstone."

Sullivan chuckled mysteriously. "Why go for those options when I have a better one myself? Alex, you'll know the secret after your Kevin posters would be posted in theaters."

Alexander was stumped by that and could only hope that his grandfather's current confidence has a backbone.

-------

While the Creed duo were testing their patience, the rating committee continued their work and responsibility.

The Motion Picture Association of America is an American trade association representing the major film studios of the United States.

It was originally established to help maintain the viability of the American film industry, with the goals of promoting effective copyright protection, reducing piracy, and expanding market access.

Sadly, that glorious facade is what hid the monopolistic manipulation of the majors. It secures the suppression of foreign film meccas but it also hampers the growth of studios that aren't part of the majors.

The Dreamworks SKG powerhouse fell under their suppression.

In 1968, the MPAA established the Code and Rating Administration, or CARA, later renamed the Classification and Rating Administration. Which began issuing ratings for films exhibited and distributed commercially in the United States to help parents determine what films are appropriate for their children.

The rating system is said to be completely voluntary, and ratings have no legal standing.

However, theater owners enforce the MPAA film ratings after they have been assigned, with many theaters refusing to exhibit non-rated films.

This tacit understanding between theaters and the MPAA has made the supposedly voluntary rating system as a standard.

An unrated film is often denoted by "NR", such as in newspapers, although this is not a formal MPAA rating.

The more relevant ratings are as follows:

G. General Audiences. Nothing that would offend parents for viewing by children.

PG. Parental Guidance Suggested. Parents urged to give 'parental guidance.' May contain some material parents might not like for their young children.

PG-13. Parents Strongly Cautioned. Parents are urged to be cautious. Some material may be inappropriate for pre-teenagers. The 13 says it all.

R. Restricted. Contains some adult material. Parents are urged to learn more about the film before taking their young children with them.

NC-17. Adults Only. As it says, it is clearly for adult and children are prohibited.

The ratings are subjective and tweakable under the machinations of MPAA seat members. It would have been more logical for parent and children associations to take the helm but their uncontrollable factor does not fit well with capitalism.

When taking into account the huge number of children, movies tend to yearn for the G and PG ratings to be able to catch more fish to pay for movies.

------

The committee went on with inspecting films and the title sequences of the movies they watched are staggered toward the major studios.

Their respective companies have already set their expected ratings for their films but this is the true battle where everything is decided.

They have a cooperative font as members of the committee but their competitiveness as representatives for respective companies would always be a source of friction for them.

Some common phrases and rebuttals that they sprout are as follows:

"The title is literally Naked Gun. Leave it for the adults. NC-17!"

"What do you mean NC-17?! Look at your R movie that drenched the entire screen with blood. Your Chucky doll being more child-friendly than our comedy film would be the biggest joke!"

"Ooh! It's that Tom Cruise movie, huh? Set it at PG."

"Agreed!"

"Seconded! But we should even push it to the PG-13 level."

"Are you all Tom Cruise followers? The movie should be NC-17, I tell ya! The title 'Rain Man' seems to have a gay vibe to it."

"I agree with you. To have two grown men worshipping Tom Cruise screams homosexual to me."

"We're not homos or cultists. Our companies just have a deal to comply with."

"That's your 'deal'! It doesn't include us, does it?"

The committee members become debate champions when their films are at stake.

When it comes to independent films from unknown studios, their enthusiasm is as follows:

"This British Musical has promise. Let's set it at PG-13."

"Agreed!" They were too disinterested that they just went with the flow.

"Who here is set to buy it for release?"

"Those brothers at Miramax have already reserved this one."

"Well, we will have the next one then!"

"This 'Home Alone' has promise. What do you guys think?"

"PG if we from Walt Disney would have it."

"I hate to pop your bubble but this is also reserved."

"By who?"

"Some unknown company hoping to join the distribution business."

"Haha! They wish!"

"Are you people from Disney still interested?"

"Not anymore. It's a shame about the movie. It'll probably be buried with that distribution company's hopes. We'll just buy it for cheap when they face bankruptcy."

"Okay. So, what about the rating?"

"Make it PG-13 now. Disney is kind but not that kind."

This is just going to be plain horrendous, silly, and more disgusting than my main trashy work.

You've been warned!

0