Chapter 23: Interesting Development
85 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The school has returned to its usual calm, students still talked about the various rumors but those tales were simply part of Hogwarts culture. A boarding school had little to offer in terms of entertainment. Students, even during their free time did not have too much freedom to play around.

In the end, the few things students learn to do is talk, spread rumors and find anything to spend their excess energy on. This became especially apparent given the age ranges of the students in the school, starting from first year at 11 and graduating their seventh at 18.

Expecting a moment of peace in this kind of school is hard, students range from little kids to angsty teens. Whoever thought it was a bright idea to group them together in a boarding school is- well given the fact that Hogwarts is a very old institution I guess such rules were- inevitable…

Alex thought to himself as he walked through the halls heading for his next class. His whole morning was filled to the brim with encounters that, was not really all that good. 

Though it is interesting to see kids falling in love… the problem is when I am the target of such affection.

He was not someone who was blind to emotions, Alexander had a good grasp of where certain feelings were going. Though it still bogged him how quickly such emotions developed.

Barely 3 days passed since I changed… are these kids really that fickle? or … the mind of children are just too complicated…

Looking through the various actions he had done over the course of his stay at Hogwarts, nothing stood out to Alex as being a possible cause for such feelings to develop. 

“Mr. Walsh, a word”

While he was walking, professor McGonagall suddenly stopped him.

“Professor? I’m sorry but I have a class-”

“I have already spoken with Filius, he doesn’t mind your absence, according to him, you have already learned everything he would teach for the third year.”

Hearing Professor McGonagall’s words Alexander nodded in understanding as he followed her to the staff office.

Walking into the office, Alexander noticed that few professors used the area as only Professor McGonagall’s table looked to have been used. Professor Snape’s table also had a few piles of papers but most of them were simply students homework.

Well submissions are done in his office, but I guess he simply uses it as a collection point or something along those lines.

“Let me get straight to the point Mr. Walsh, the headmaster has been planning for a long time to restart the Triwizard tournament. Unfortunately the other magical schools have been… well uncooperative in this matter. We were looking at it happening after two or three years but then you showed up… Forgive me for putting this on your shoulder’s Mr. Walsh but Albus informed me that prior to enrolling at Hogwarts you have not only been to Russia but also to other countries all over the world…”

Professor McGonagall paused and looked at Alexander with an apologetic expression on her face as she continued. 

“Mr. Walsh… no Alexander, this matter should have been something we adults are supposed to deal with but-”

Alexander had a composed smiled on his face as he replied in an assuring tone.

“Professor, I understand, talking with the authorities and teachers is hard but if we ask the student population maybe there is a chance of something occurring- faster? Worry not professor, I’ll immediately send some letters to the people I know…”

A thoughtful looked flashed on Professor McGonagall’s face as she sighed before agreeing to Alexander’s proposition.

In fact, what Dumbledore planned with her was something similar but their idea was to have student exchange programs or visits. Putting pressure on Durmstrang and Beauxbatons, maybe even turning the Triwizard cup into an international wizard cup. All of this was planned in order to strengthen the bond between wizards on an international scale. 

Starting from students who are the future of the wizarding world, Hogwarts would lead the charge into proper international cooperation that was cut down due to events that unfolded decades prior.

Professor McGonagall and Alexander ended up talking for a good hour about the contents of the letters and what such an exchange could offer. Exchanging knowledge in spells, magical creatures, specific nuances between magic in each region.

By the end of the “short” discussion Alexander quickly headed for his room, he should have headed for lunch but the matter at hand was more important than socializing. Especially since he found out that he could probably revisit old acquaintances because of this.

First is Ellyn then-

Alexander thought of all the people he had met over the course of his travels and he could not help but have a smile form on his face due to the memories. 

I really hope you all are doing well

With such thoughts Alexander entered his room and began writing letters. Interestingly enough, he was also exempted from attendance in all his afternoon classes. A matter that saddened both the professors and classmates of his in the afternoon classes.

Dinner service, all the students and professors were present in the great hall. But one individual stood out, Alexander, who rarely came to the great hall for dinner, arrived. He wore his slytherin cloak and sat amongst the slytherins.

Although he was sitting next to Tracy it still did not change the fact that he was sitting amongst people who did not like him. But this did not bother Alex as he simply ate and talked with Tracy the whole time.

A few curious and jealous gazes were directed towards the poor girl but Alexander shut them up simply by turning towards them with a smile.

“How do you fell about meeting some international students Tracy?”

Out of nowhere Alexander asked such a question, his voice was low and only Tracy could hear him but his words shocked the girl as she responded.

“Is that vampire princess coming?!”

Her words were filled with suspicious and wariness, her expression dire as if she was going to face a great foe. Alexander looked at the girls expression, amused as he had a smile on his face.

Tracy noticed his expression and quickly turned around with a blush on her cheeks.

“I-I was just curious ok!”

Her voice was not all too loud but her actions caught the attention of a few students. The nearby slytherins perked up their ears as they tried to listen in on the conversation.

“Well there is no need to be jealous, Tracy, all you need to do is fix up your hair and put a bit of make up on. Use a few beautification charms, not too much that your appearance looks fake, but just fix up some small imperfections. Though, personally I think that your usual self is already beautiful enough”

Alexander teased the girl, but what he said were all true. He may not have romantic feelings for her but he did not want her to lose confidence because of how he acts. The minds of women are complicated, children even more so. 

Tracy was already 13, the typical age where females tend to mature quite rapidly. They were more empathetic and most of the time more mature in thinking than their male counterparts. As such most relationships born between children at this age do not last long.

Alex had his own fare share of such relationships in his past life. As such he looked at these kids with the lens of an adult. His childlike body may react differently at times but his mind was, thankfully not taken over.

Right now he had to boost Tracy’s confidence in herself, if he simply shrugged her feelings off it may lead to her developing a sense of low self-esteem.

But at the same time, Alex needed to keep a distance, teasing her to boost her confidence and other similar actions may lead to irreversible consequences. He was walking on a fine line, one that he rarely thought of while he was traveling.

Now that I think about it… I guess I did do quite a bit of- well cheeky acts but… hopefully they could resolve themselves in time. Wait- now that I think about it… Jiayi…

Alex recalled the white snake, their interaction was still fresh in his mind and the feelings he experienced at that time placed his mind in turmoil.

I can’t… she’s just a child, such thoughts… 

A plethora of thoughts rushed through Alexander’s mind making him pause for quite some time. He was only brought back to reality when Tracy elbowed him in annoyance. Tracy puffed her cheeks in annoyance, her actions were cute, just like a little hamster.

“Hmph! You say all those things but then think of other girls! Player!”

Her words left Alexander speechless but aside from her initial reaction what truly struck him was the final word she used to describe him.

Player… well-

Alexander recalled his past experiences again but this time he wasn’t reminiscing, only analyzing his own words and actions in the past.

“I guess… well in a way I could be called a player…”

His words caught the ears of a good number of people but Tracy, upon hearing his words, simply elbowed him a second time. This time Alexander saw it coming but simply let it hit him.

“Ugrh… does that makes us even?”

Alexander asked as he covered his stomach feigning pain.

“Hmph!”

Yet all he got in response was another audible hmph coupled with a turned head. Seeing Tracy’s reaction Alexander laughed dryly as he continued his meal in silence, a wry smile plastered on his face.

3