Chapter 9: Thalia Drives to Camp: Worst Mistake Ever
261 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Artemis then asked Piper if she wanted to join. She declined.

I wasn't sure why she wouldn't want to join. I felt amazing. All my exhaustion from barely a minute ago was now completely gone. I felt super energized. My skin tingled; it felt pleasantly warm. My shoulder, which had still been aching before I took my oath, now felt good as new.

I couldn't help it, I shot Piper an incredulous look. Why would she not want this?

I forced my mind off of my confusion. "So, my lady, how will we get to Camp?" I asked Artemis. Don't ask why I referred to her as ‘my lady’, it just seemed the thing to do, being one of her hunters now.

Artemis closed her eyes. "Dawn is approaching. Zoë, take Bianca and Persephone with you. Break camp and prepare to leave for Long Island quickly. I will summon my brother for a ride."

Zoë didn't look happy, but she stood up.

"Follow me," she told Bianca and I.

We quickly got up to follow.

"So," I said to Zoë, "Atermis' brother?"

She scowled. "Apollo. God of the sun. For whatever bizarre reason, the insufferable man has the gall to flirt with us hunters every time we see him. It is ridiculous."

I couldn't help but agree. He should definitely know we were very much off limits.

"You two should retrieve your things," Zoë told us.

Bianca and I broke off from her to go get our bags, while Zoë started directing the other hunters to start taking down the tents.

"This feels amazing," Bianca said.

I nodded, "yeah. I don't even feel cold! And my shoulder feels great."

Bianca laughed. "I feel like I could run a mile!"

"Me too."

We got back to where Nico was still rambling to Thalia and Grover about his card game. Thalia noticed us first.

"What did she want to talk to you about?"

"She wanted to know what Dr. Thorn told us," I said.

Thalia glanced between me and Bianca. "And she needed all three of you for that?"

I shuffled my feet. I could feel the hostility in her voice. She had guessed what happened and didn't like it. "She invited us to join the Hunt."

Thalia let out a loud sigh. "And did you?"

I nodded. "And I feel great! My shoulder doesn't even hurt anymore."

Thalia stood up. The look on her face was hard to read, but she definitely wasn't happy.

"And just why would you want to do that?"

"Well, immortality. Oh, and no boys!"

Thalia sighed again. "You could also go without boys without having to join the Hunt, Percy."

I sighed. "You wouldn't get it."

Thalia scowled. That had been the wrong thing to say. "I wouldn't, huh? Well let me ask you something, Persephone. How do you think Annabeth would feel about this? Huh? Did you even think she might have an issue with her- with her best friend going off and joining some club without her?"

I scowled back. "Bold of you to assume Artemis wouldn’t have also invited her to join had she still been here. Also, come to think of it, why didn't she extend an invitation to you?"

Thalia scoffed. "Maybe she just doesn't want a girl like me."

I blinked. "A girl like- what are you talking about?"

Thalia marched right up to me. "We can't all be lucky like you were, Jackson. Magical transformation bullshit. Some of us have to take medications to transition."

I took a step back. "Wait wait wait- you're trans?!"

Thalia stopped short, her eyes going wide. "I didn't say that!"

"No but you very strongly implied it."

Thalia turned away from me. "Shut up, Percy."

I sighed, but did just that. No need to make her more angry.

"Uh, Artemis says we're going to be going soon," Bianca said. "Nico, clean up your cards."

Nico grumbled about how he hadn't finished explaining everything yet, but complied.

 

Artemis assured us the dawn was definitely approaching, but you could never have been able to tell by the sky. It was still dark as ever. Probably still extremely cold, too, but between whatever resistance I had gained from being a Hunter and my new silvery parka, I could barely feel it.

I had been given a bunch of Hunter gear - that silvery parka, a couple hunting knives, a magical water bottle that would continually refill over time, and, of course, a bow and quiver full of silver arrows. I wasn't entirely sure about the bow since I had never been a very good archer (understatement). But as I held it in my hand for the first time, I felt sure of myself - a new confidence I would never have had with a bow before.

The other Hunters had broken camp so quickly, I was only able to help with putting away the last tent. I had never gone camping before, but somehow my hands knew what to do. I chalked it up to more of Artemis' blessing.

I saw Bianca quietly discussing something with Nico. I could tell from his expression he wasn't too happy about her decision to join the Hunt. Maybe it was a bit selfish of her, but at the same time I couldn't entirely blame her for joining. I'd be a hypocrite if I did.

Grover walked up next to me. "I don't blame you at all, Percy. I mean, an eternity with Artemis?" A dreamy expression made its way onto his face.

Thalia scoffed. "You satyrs. You're all completely in love with Artemis. You do know she won't ever love you back, right?"

Grover sighed. "But she's so… into nature."

I nodded. "Yeah, it's actually pretty… It's a nice feeling."

Thalia turned to me, a strange expression on her face. "Oh really? And this justifies making this choice without your best friend… how?" She shouldered Annabeth's bag alongside her own.

"Oh, not this again." Grover groaned. "Thalia, Percy made her choice, she can do what she wants."

Thalia snorted. "Sure she can." She turned and walked away towards Piper, who was standing off to one side of the former campsite, looking uncomfortable.

Finally, the sky started getting lighter.

"About time," Artemis muttered with an annoyed tone. "He is sooo lazy in the Winter."

"You're waiting for the sunrise?" Piper said.

"Yes," Artemis responded. "For my brother."

Piper frowned. "But isn't Helios the sun god?"

Artemis was about to respond, but was interrupted by a sudden burst of light.

"Don't look," she said. "Not until he parks."

"Parks?" Piper said.

I averted my eyes. I saw everyone else doing the same. The light and warmth intensified, but strangely, I didn't feel at all uncomfortable despite my new jacket. Then the light died, and the warmth receded, but it was still present.

I turned to look. Right in front of us, sitting in a perfect ring of grass that seemed completely untouched by snow was a bright red Maserati convertible. I was a little envious - I kinda wanted a car like that (not that I would be able to drive it, being eternally fourteen, although the government doesn't need to know that). The metal glowed still, but it fortunately didn't hurt to look at. The driver's door opened, and a man, around seventeen or eighteen, stepped out. He kind of reminded me of Luke, but he was taller, with no scar, and a much more easy-going smile.

"Whoa," Piper said. "Apollo is hot."

"He's the sun god," I replied.

She snorted. "Point. Guess it's on brand."

"Little sister!" Apollo shouted. His teeth were so white that they were almost blinding. I inched away from him, not really wanting to be any closer to him. "What's up? I haven't heard from you in months, no calls, you never write. I was getting worried."

Artemis looked annoyed. "I'm fine, Apollo. And I am not your little sister."

"I was born first-"

"No, you weren't. I distinctly remember you were born after me. How many times do I need to remind-"

"So what's up?" He interrupted. "I see you've got the girls with you. Need any archery tips, girls?"

Artemis grit her teeth. "I need a favor. I have some hunting to do, alone. I need you to take my Hunters to Camp Half-Blood."

Piper scowled but didn't say anything.

"Sure sis!" He raised his hands up in a gesture that said to stop everything. "I feel a Haiku coming on."

The other Hunters all groaned. I got the feeling this was a normal occurrence.

He cleared his throat and held a hand in the air dramatically.

"Green grass breaks through snow

Artemis pleads for my help

I am so cool."

I frowned. A bit egotistical of him.

Apollo grinned as if expecting applause. None came.

"That last line was only four syllables."

Apollo's smile disappeared. "Was it?"

Artemis smirked. "Yes. How about 'I am so big-headed.'"

"No, that's six syllables. Hang on…" he started muttering to himself.

Zoë spoke up, "Lord Apollo has been going through this Haiku phase ever since he visited Japan. 'Tis not as bad as the time he visited Limerick. If I'd had to listen to one more poem that started with 'There once was a goddess from Sparta-'"

"Got it!" Apollo announced. "I am so awesome. That's five."

I rolled my eyes.

"So, transportation for the Hunters to Camp, sis? Good timing, I was just about to head off."

"These demigods will also need a ride too. Some of Chiron's campers." She pointed to Thalia, Piper, Nico, and Grover.

"No problem! Let's see… Thalia, right?" He stepped in front of Thalia. "Zeus' kid, yes? I've heard all about you."

Thalia blushed. "Hi, Lord Apollo."

"You used to be a tree, right? Glad you're back, I hate it when pretty girls turn into trees. I remember one time-"

"Brother," Artemis interrupted him. "You better get going."

"Oh, right." Then he noticed me. "Percy Jackson." He looked at me, an odd look on his face. I stepped closer to Artemis.

"Uh, yes sir." It felt weird to call someone who looked like a teenager sir, but I figured I should be safe.

"Unexpected," he said, without elaborating, and moved on. What the heck was that about?

"Well!" he said, clapping his hands. "We'd better load up, huh? Ride only goes one way - west. And if you miss it, gotta wait a day."

I looked at the car in confusion. It could seat two people, max. Maybe three if we squeezed in, but that would probably be not terribly safe, especially if the car flew. There were around twenty of us.

"Cool car," Piper said.

"Thanks!" Apollo said.

"How are we going to fit?"

"Oh." Apollo finally noticed the issue. "Right. Well, I hate to change out of sports-car mode, but needs must."

He fished his car keys out of his pocket and hit a button, making a loud chirp chirp noise.

The car glowed bright again for a brief moment. Afterwards, the car was replaced by a bright red shuttle bus similar to ones used for volleyball games back at school. I hoped it didn't smell like it too.

"Right," Apollo said. "Everyone get in!"

Zoë directed us to start loading our bags. She picked up her own, and Apollo said, "here, sweetheart. Let me get that."

Zoë's eyes flashed murderously. I was half-tempted to gut him with my new hunting knife. Who does he think he is? We're off limits.

"Brother," Artemis said, scowling. "You do not help my Hunters. You do not look at, talk to, or especially flirt with them. You most definitely do not call any of them 'sweetheart.'"

Apollo held up his hands, backing up. "Sorry, sis. I forgot."

I mentally scoffed. Doubt that.

"Where you off to anyway, sis?"

"Hunting," Artemis said. "None of your business, anyway."

"I'll find out. I see all. I know all."

Ok, pervert.

Artemis snorted. "Just drop them off at Camp. And no messing around. I'll hear about it if you do."

"Oh no! I never mess around."

Artemis rolled her eyes then turned to us. "I will see you by the solstice. Zoë, you are in charge of the Hunters. Do as I would do. Make sure Persephone and Bianca get a proper introduction."

Zoë straightened. "Yes, my lady."

Artemis knelt and touched the ground. I could tell what she was doing - she was attempting to sense which direction her prey was in. When she rose, she looked troubled. "So much danger. The beast must be found."

She sprinted into the woods, melting into the trees and shadow.

Apollo turned back to us, grinning. "So," he said, jangling his car keys on his finger. "Who wants to drive?"

The other Hunters and I quickly piled into the back of the van. None of us wanted to get any closer to Apollo than necessary. I ended up sitting between two other Hunters - a smaller girl who was probably nine at most and had elfen features similar to dryads I had met before, and a buff girl with red hair who was closer to my age.

"New girl, yeah?" The buff one said. "My name's Phoebe."

I smiled. "Hi, Phoebe."

She smiled back. "Don't stress too much. Being a Hunter's great. I joined… five thousand years ago, I think. I have no regrets."

The other girl said confidently, "my name's Aspen. I joined about a century ago."

It struck me that these girls were so much older than me, despite looking my age or younger.

"Uh, I'm Percy. Short for Persephone, but just call me Percy,” I said.

“Your dad’s Poseidon, yeah?” Aspen asked.

I nodded. “Um, yeah. How’d you know?”

“You smell like salt,” she said.

Another Hunter sitting in front of us turned around to talk to me as well. “You’re trans, right?”

I nodded.

“Cool, another one. I’m Camille, I’m trans too. This here-” she dragged the Hunter sitting next to her up to talk as well. “-is Heidi. She’s trans too.”

Camille was probably around thirteen years old, which could mean she was anywhere from thirteen to three million. She had darker patches of skin on her face, dark brown eyes, and light brown hair. Heidi was younger, maybe eleven or twelve, and was wearing a pair of gold-framed glasses. She had blue eyes and black hair, similar to my own.

“Um, hi,” I said. “Why are you telling me you’re trans?”

Heidi smirked. “So you know you aren’t the only one. There are actually another three trans Hunters. There’s Hunter - please don’t say anything about her name, she knows. She’s the one with the silver hair.” She pointed to a girl sitting behind me, and I turned to look. Her hair was indeed silver, and she was sitting with Bianca having an animated discussion. “Then there’s Anastasia and Celyn. They’re both non-binary. Celyn uses she/her and they/them, and Anastasia uses fae/faer.”

“That’s… a lot more than I expected,” I said.

Heidi shrugged. “Lady Artemis has no problems with more diverse genders, just as long as they aren’t boys.”

“Well, there was that Hippolytus guy a couple millenia ago that Phoebe mentioned,” Camille said.

Phoebe nodded. “Yeah. He was with us for a bit. But he’s more of an exception than anything.”

“Daughter of Zeus,” I heard Apollo saying, “Lord of the Sky. Perfect!”

Perfect for what?

“Oh no,” Thalia said. “No thanks.”

“C’mon,” Apollo replied. “How old are you?”

There was a pause. “I don’t know,” Thalia said.

It was a bit sad, but true. She’d been turned into a tree when she was twelve, and remained that way for seven years, so she should have been nineteen. But she still felt like she was twelve, but she looked to be somewhere in between. Chiron’s theory was that she had continued aging in tree form, but more slowly.

“You’re fifteen, almost sixteen,” Apollo said.

“How did you know that?” Thalia asked.

“Hey, I’m the god of prophecy. I know stuff. You’ll turn sixteen in about a week.”

“That’s my birthday! December twenty-second.”

“That means you’re old enough to drive with a learner’s permit.”

I craned my neck to get a view of what was happening up front of the bus.

Thalia looked nervous. “Uh, I don’t-”

“I know what you’re gonna say,” Apollo interrupted her. “You don’t deserve an honor like driving the sun chariot.”

“That’s not what I was going to say,” Thalia said.

“Don’t worry about it! Maine to Long Island is a really short trip, and don’t worry about what happened to the last kid I trained. You’re Zeus’ daughter, he won’t blast you out of the sky.”

Apollo laughed as if what he just said wasn’t completely terrifying.

Thalia tried to protest some more. He got her to sit in the driver’s seat.

“Take it away! You’re gonna be a natural!”

I wasn’t sure why Apollo was so insistent on having someone else drive, but I didn’t want to question it.

“Speed equals heat,” Apollo said. “So you should start slow, then wait until you have enough altitude before you really open her up.”

Thalia sat stiffly in the driver’s seat.

“Are you ok?” Piper asked her.

“I’m fine,” Thalia said, although she definitely didn’t sound fine. Then she pulled back on the wheel. It tilted and the bus suddenly pitched upwards.

I was immediately slammed back against my seat, and Heidi and Camille, who had still been up on their knees in their seat, fell over the back of it landing on me, Aspen, and Phoebe.

“Ow,” Heidi said, rubbing her head where it had smacked against my knee.

Camille groaned and twisted, sitting on Phoebe’s lap. “What the hell is up with her?”

“I think she’s nervous,” I said.

Aspen giggled. “Obviously she is.”

Phoebe glanced out the window, “oh, damn.”

“What?” I said, trying to look around Camille and out the window. I saw a smoking ring of trees near the clearing where we had been just moments ago. “Oh.”

“Maybe you should lighten up on the accelerator,” I heard Piper say.

“I’ve got this, Piper,” she said. But the bus did not slow down.

“We need to head south for Long Island,” Apollo said. “Turn left.”

Thalia jerked the wheel, and Aspen, Heidi, and I tumbled out of our seat.

“The other left,” Apollo said.

I groaned as I sat up. Aspen quickly got back on the seat next to Camille and Phoebe, and Heidi and I sat on the seat in front of them.

“A little lower, sweetheart,” Apollo said. “Cape Cod is freezing over.”

Thalia jerked the wheel forward. The bus pitched forward, picking up speed, slamming Heidi and I against our seat.

Apollo tumbled past us on the floor. He groaned as he stood up, and started carefully making his way back to the front of the bus.

“Take the wheel,” I heard Grover beg.

“No worries,” Apollo responded. “She just needs to- WHOA.”

I glanced out the window and saw what he had noticed. Below us was a small New England town covered in snow. Or at least it had been until the snow melted away. I saw the tops of buildings start to smolder. The top of a church actually caught fire.

“Pull up!” I yelled at Thalia.

She yanked back on the wheel again, and we sped back upwards. Behind us, through the back window of the bus, I could see the fires going out, thankfully.

“There!” Apollo shouted. “Long Island, dead ahead. Let’s slow down dear.”

Thalia did not slow down. We were fast approaching the coastline of northern Long Island. I could see the valley of Camp Half-Blood through the windshield. I could make out individual cabins. We were only a few hundred yards away by now.

“Brake,” Apollo said.

Thalia muttered something I couldn’t hear.

“BRAKE!” Apollo shouted at her.

She slammed her foot on the brake.

The bus pitched forward at a forty-five degree angle, slamming in the Camp’s canoe lake with a loud splashing noise. Steam billowed up around the bus as the water started boiling. Several frightened naiads scrambled out of the water holding onto half-finished baskets and other projects.

The bus bobbed to the surface of the lake alongside some half-melted canoes.

“Well,” said Apollo, sounding relieved that it was finally over. “You were right, my dear, you had everything under control. Now, shall we see if we boiled anyone important?”

I rested my head against the seat in front of me, letting out a sigh.

“Well,” Heidi said, “glad that’s over.”

10