Ariel
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I closed 'Myths For The Moon' and stood up I saw Jade (legacy is J names) coming down into the garden which meant one thing because she hated it here and would only come if my mother sent for me.

"Ariel" she made a little bow though it would have been less deep if it were to Ursa, my sister which was just stupid because we held the same place and if our mother were to die I would hand the throne to her no matter what people say.

"Jade" I nod and Jade gives me the weirdest look and I realized it was because of my clothes.

I was wearing Coffee brown pants that were just below my knees and a Mauve long sleeve shirt on with a silver embroidered crescent moon in the center the shirt had a number of vanilla patches on the edges sewn with royal purple thread.

I could see how it was unfit to visit the Queen with, even though I thought it looked great with my caramel hair I cut it in a long bob with choppy ends last year it gave mother a heart attack.

"your Mother wishes to speak with you" she said I could tell she was itching to get away from the garden.

"thank you you are dismissed" I said and Jade was basically teleported to the nearest entrance.

I shoved my book behind the tree I had been sitting up against, I knew Mother would happily replace that book of 'sun children's mock-up fairy tales' for 'factual moon artifacts' but the book showed a version of the truth I had never heard.

I stood up and walked the long way to the throne room and waited outside, behind a long curtain for five minutes.

just as I expected two guards walked out and started to the garden I walked into the room after I was sure they wouldn't come back.

I didn't feel comfort from the guards only possible eavesdroppers and kidnappers and I could protect myself.

"Ariel why must you go about this nonsense every time we talk?" Queen Midnight also known as my mother sat on her throne which had embedded silver and amethyst all over.

the only reason she fell for the guards trick is because sometimes I don't come and I only come in when the guards leave, I know she only has two so she doesn't look paranoid and so her people won't worry for her to be more protected.

"you know" I say once someone spoke a royal secret we saw each other about and there were riots for five nights and I was stuck inside that whole time with guards on my tail.

"we had that spy executed remember?" Mother said in the least reassuring tone and reminder

I shivered

"well that's great thank you for that image" I said sarcastically but it was true, it was horrifying because it was the first one I ever went to and I didn't know what would happen.

I was ten, Ursa eleven.

"listen I have arranged a marriage plan for when you're twenty" Mother said "that way even though Ursa is older you will have the throne when I die"

"what! no, I am never going to marry least of all at twenty to some rich ass bimbo!" I shouted

"Ariel! speak with clarity or not at all!" Mother barked "he is not any of those things you do not even know his name!"

"exactly why I don't want to marry him!" I said "I don't even want to be Queen! especially one that does arranged marriage five years before it happens!"

"you have five years to get to know him, be grateful for that" Mother said "his name is Theodore legacy of ending E names he is a noble's son and has agreed to marry you!"

"Theodore, the classic rich guy name" I said "and I bet he is a bimbo who doesn't know anything but the currency of coin"

"to your room!" Mother yelled "don't you dare come out!" 

"it's not like you could stop me in that one thousand pound dress" I said and rushed out of the room.

I stared at my pillow, it had a messenger bag filled with a weeks supply of food, a book with all types of plants, and 'Myths For The Moon' 

I had been planning to run away for weeks but there was a lot of rain in the past few nights but tonight there was a clear sky and it was a new moon so the only light was from the stars.

It's kinda funny how we ignore them but when the moon is gone we rely on them.

it did seem stupid to run away at night, everyone would be awake in the kingdom! how will you slip by the guards idiot?

but that was because most people didn't know palace guards were doubled during the day because of sun people attacks, plus they would be able to see me more clearly.

I had already stolen a rope from the practice shed that was long enough, all I had to do was grab my bag and tie the rope to a sturdy hook in the wall and I'm free to go.

so that's exactly what I did, I paused a moment before tying the knot then took my time to make the tightest Anchor hitch knot I could.

I learned how to do several types of knots from a sailor for only one copper, my Mother said it was a rip off because I would never need to know how to tie a decent knot apart from the one to tie your shoes.

I tied the rope in a simple other knot that I forgot the name of around my waist in case I lost my footing.

I'm only on the third floor. I'm only on the third floor. you've done this from a shed before you can do it now.

I  took a breath in and started climbing down the side of the palace.

 

0