Chapter 2 – Return
46 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you like the story and want to see more, take a look at my Patreon, where you'll find several chapters ahead of the public. And you'll also be helping me reach my dream of being a full-time writer.

As soon as I opened my eyes, something incredible had happened: instead of dying (which was the most plausible), the first thing I saw was a roof. However, that wasn't all; I also couldn't smell that horrible odor that the undead leave behind as soon as you kill them; on the contrary, the smell in the air was, how can I put it: pleasant. And that wasn't all; there was also the smell of gunpowder and gasoline that I wasn't smelling.

"What the fuck is going on here?"

Said the man who was now in the body of a young man.

After saying those words, Lincoln got up from the bed all scared. Looking around, the boy realized that not only was he alive, but he had somehow returned to the time when he was still young. He was in his old room, inside that old house, of which he had many good and painful memories.

"What the fuck is going on?"

Lincoln asked as he stared at his small room, almost screaming.

After almost having an outburst, and rightly so, Lincoln left his room. But, after opening the door, the first thing he noticed that was different, apart from the fact that he had gone back to when he was still young and a few days before all that shit happened, was that he was only wearing his underpants.

"What the fuck, why did I have this weird thing about being in my underwear?"

Grumbled Lincoln, a little nonplussed by his weird habits, as he went back into his room again and walked towards the closet to get some shorts.

(That's much better.)

Lincoln thought, with an indifferent expression, not really caring.

After getting dressed, Lincoln left his room again, only this time with a colder, more cautious attitude. As he walked through the house, Lincoln analyzed everything detail by detail, from the doors that led to his sisters' rooms to the corridor that led to the bathroom. Everything was so different, especially the fact that the house still existed, unlike what he remembered from before his return. There was nothing out of place, let alone the holes that the monsters had made in the walls, or that horrible smell that corpses left behind when you killed them, which frankly was something that permeated the place.

"This is getting weirder and weirder."

Lincoln muttered to himself, as he continued to cautiously explore his surroundings.

After Lincoln lost everyone, he knew and loved, he had to change. He ended up turning into a cold and uncompassionate person, caring about nothing and no one. But having the opportunity to see that scene with all his sisters gathered together and still alive right in front of the bathroom, which was something that was already quite common in that family as if it were a daily ritual, ended up awakening the humanity that he had long forgotten existed within him.

Frozen and not believing the trick his eyes were playing on him, Lincoln began to stagger backwards, as if he wanted to get away from it, as if he were seeing ghosts from the past right in front of him. After taking another step backwards, he ended up passing through the corridor that led to the kitchen, from where he began to hear some familiar voices coming from inside. After approaching the kitchen door, he almost goes into a fit again when he sees his mother and father still alive and preparing breakfast as if nothing had happened.

"This can't be real..."

Lincoln muttered to himself as he walked slowly backwards towards his bedroom door.

Without a second thought and still with a look of shock on his face, Lincoln opened the door to his room and rushed in. But before he could do anything else, he suddenly started shaking and panicking.

(Shit, not that again.)

Lincoln thought, as he stared at his hands, which wouldn't stop shaking.

"I hate this. Without a gun, I'm very vulnerable when I panic."

Lincoln whispered to himself as he took a deep breath to calm himself down.

(I need to find out what's going on.)

Lincoln thought, as he cautiously looked around his room again, searching for something that would give him the answer he was looking for.

After failing to find any answer to the situation, something began to hammer away in his mind.

"What if this is all just a dream? Or worse, what if I haven't died, but am trapped inside an illusion created by the monsters?"

Said Lincoln, with a psychotic smile, starting to get delirious again.

"No, that's almost impossible. I've killed countless monsters and I've never seen an evolved one that possessed such power."

Lincoln concluded, not believing in the possibility he was thinking about.

After that, he sat down on the edge of the bed and began rubbing his face to clear his mind.

"If I still had my system, or my skills, I could ask for some information."

Said Lincoln lamely, as he got out of bed and began pacing back and forth in the room. However, as he went from one side to the other, he accidentally passed in front of the mirror.

After looking in the mirror and once again panicking when he saw his reflection in it, Lincoln saw something he could have sworn was impossible. His reflection, which had once been that of a bearded and scarred adult, was now that of a teenager. To be more specific, it was him at the age of fifteen. Stunned by this surreal sight, he tried to touch the surface of the mirror to confirm whether it was real or just a trick of his mind, but his fingers only touched the cold glass. Intrigued and frightened by the situation, Lincoln turned away from the mirror and freaked out again.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?"

Lincoln ended up screaming so loudly that even his sisters outside heard.

Disoriented and agitated, Lincoln began to question his own sanity.

"This can't be real..."

Lincoln whispered as he got out of bed before continuing.

"I've got to be going crazy."

After saying that, Lincoln began to look around the room, trying to find something or some unusual sign that would indicate that he had returned or died. However, everything seemed strangely normal; there were no anomalies or anything out of place.

6