Chapter 22: Ambushed Midway
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lin Xiao remained silent, his eyes intensely focused on the path ahead. He pointed forward, revealing the reason for his alarm. The road was strewn with shards of glass, each piece as sharp as a knife blade. Every shard was sizable, and the edges were deliberately honed to be exceedingly sharp. Additionally, they were cunningly positioned right at a bend in the road.

Had Lin Xiao not reacted promptly given their speed, they would have inevitably run over these shards. The resulting punctured tire could have led to a catastrophic traffic accident, or even worse, could have ended their lives.

Thankfully, Lin Xiao's timely response averted any serious mishap.

"That was a close call," sighed Wan Caixuan from the back seat. She no longer blamed Lin Xiao for his actions, rather, she felt a profound sense of relief.

Annoyance flashed across her face as she said, "I don't know who could be so heartless, tossing shards of glass recklessly on the highway."

Lin Xiao remained silent, his expression serious as he scrutinized their surroundings, an instinctual unease pervading him. This remote suburb, usually devoid of human presence, was now scattered with chunks of sharpened glass on the highway. Each piece seemed strategically placed, suggesting a deliberate setup.

"Let's clear the road of these glass shards," Wan Caixuan suggested, her tone noticeably warmer than before, perhaps owing to Lin Xiao's swift response earlier.

"Hold on." Lin Xiao abruptly held Wan Caixuan back as she prepared to leave the car. Absorbed in observing their surroundings, he inadvertently grabbed her hand.

"You..." Wan Caixuan started, her face shifting color in surprise. She shot Lin Xiao a fiery glare, readying to speak, only to be interrupted by him.

"Get down!"

Lin Xiao's eyes narrowed as he caught a gleam from a dark corner to the right. It was the reflection of a sniper scope.

With a shout, he swiftly lunged from the driver's seat towards Wan Caixuan in the back, pinning her beneath him.

"Bang!"

Simultaneously as Lin Xiao knocked Wan Caixuan down, a gunshot resonated nearby. A bullet hole materialized in the Rolls-Royce's rear window, and another where Wan Caixuan had previously been sitting.

'Assassination!’

Even with the glamorous CEO pinned beneath him, her soft and supple body pressed against him, Lin Xiao's mind remained focused. He immediately ascertained the intent of the attacker.

But before he could process further, nine men revealed themselves in the distance. Dressed in black, their faces hidden behind black hoods revealing only their eyes, they spread out, sprinting toward the car in an attempt to encircle Lin Xiao and Wan Caixuan.

Among the nine, three wielded handguns, while the rest brandished machetes approximately a meter long, their blades reflecting a chilling light.

Wan Caixuan's body slightly shivered. No matter how slow her reaction was, she finally understood the gravity of their predicament. These men were targeting her.

"I'm sorry, I've dragged you into this," she said, her face pale with guilt.

"Dragged? No, I am your bodyguard. It's my duty to protect you," Lin Xiao countered calmly, "Stay in the car, and don't move."

With that, Lin Xiao swiftly exited the back seat, shutting the car door behind him, leaving no room for Wan Caixuan's response.

"Wait..." she began, but he was already gone.

Wan Caixuan wanted to stop Lin Xiao, but as she watched him step out of the vehicle, all she could do was shake her head with a resigned smile.

"Your bravery will not help. These men are desperate assassins who kill without conscience for mere money."

She was aware that Lin Xiao had certain abilities to be chosen by Ning Xi as her bodyguard, but in the face of the current predicament, these skills seemed futile.

The adversaries were not only vast in number but also heavily armed. How could Lin Xiao, bare-handed, withstand their onslaught?

However, despite realizing the futility of Lin Xiao's courageous act, a strange warmth filled Wan Caixuan's heart. Lin Xiao had been her bodyguard for barely a day, yet in this perilous situation, he showed no fear, valiantly ready to protect her.

True character reveals itself in times of crisis.

At this juncture, Lin Xiao, her devoted bodyguard, undoubtedly embodied the essence of dedication and professionalism.

Recalling her prior intention to transfer Lin Xiao upon returning to the company, guilt welled up within Wan Caixuan.

Watching the figure of Lin Xiao outside, a lone warrior against insurmountable odds, she thought to herself, "Ning Xi, your choice was impeccable. He is indeed remarkable."

Outside the car, Lin Xiao was unaware of the fleeting thoughts crossing the usually stoic Wan Caixuan's mind.

Staring at the slowly advancing black-clad men, his gaze was icy, a reminiscence of his earlier days in the military, battling relentlessly, safeguarding the frontiers.

A long-lost sensation stirred within him. Excitement. Pure, unadulterated excitement.

His veins pulsed with the primal thirst for bloodshed, for carnage.

As the black-clad men encircled him, Lin Xiao chose not to retreat but to advance, launching himself at one of them like a predatory cheetah.

"Bang!"

Another gunshot echoed. One of the black-clad men, upon seeing Lin Xiao hurtle towards him, took a shot.

Unfazed, Lin Xiao evaded the bullet with the agility of a darting dragon, the projectile barely grazing his shoulder before embedding itself into a nearby rock, leaving a small, stark hole.

Witnessing Lin Xiao's incredible dodge, the shooter's eyes narrowed in shock. He attempted to fire again, but by then, Lin Xiao had already engaged two other opponents. Not wanting to risk friendly fire, the gunman held back.

Two ferocious-looking men in black, brandishing meter-long machetes, glared menacingly at Lin Xiao.

Without wasting a moment, they swung their machetes, aiming for Lin Xiao's head.

Composure etched on his face, Lin Xiao deftly sidestepped and in one swift motion seized one of the attacker's arms, gripping it with crushing force.

A horrific sound of bone splintering pierced the air. The black-clad man’s arm went limp, his face contorted in agony.

Ignoring the man's shrieks of pain, Lin Xiao twisted his arm, snatched the falling machete and hurled it at the other assailant.

Before the second black-clad man could react, a blinding flash of steel pierced the darkness, and the razor-sharp machete found its mark, embedding itself in his heart.

Without uttering a single cry, the man was killed, vanquished by Lin Xiao's deadly assault.

0