Chapter 26: Lu Yufei’s Despair
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just outside the president's office, Lin Xiao sat in his chair, a picture of boredom, utterly unaware of the office's happenings.

With his capabilities, it wouldn't be tough to glean what was happening inside, but curiosity was not in his nature, especially when it involved the privacy of Wan Caixuan and Ning Xi. Thus, he consciously used his abilities to suppress his hearing to the level of an ordinary individual.

Suddenly, an irritating voice echoed in his ears.

"Ah, if it isn't our company's star, the president's personal bodyguard? Why are you loitering outside the office all alone?"

Looking up, Lin Xiao was met with Lu Yufei's contemptuous smirk.

Upon reaching the top floor to report to Wan Caixuan and finding Lin Xiao standing alone, Lu Yufei knew his anticipated moment was about to finally happen.

Considering the president's well-known disdain for tardiness, this rural nobody, half an hour late and now standing solitary outside, was sure to have been expelled by the president. Driven by his pent-up excitement, he couldn't resist taunting Lin Xiao.

Lin Xiao frowned, puzzled by Lu Yufei's sudden transformation from a submissive and careful individual earlier that morning to this display of arrogance.

Regardless, he didn't dwell on it. He had always detested Lu Yufei. Lin Xiao responded in a frosty tone, "It's not your concern. What do you want?"

"Me? Why, I'm here to submit my report to the president," Lu Yufei declared smugly, "You're just a lowly bodyguard, you don't need to know. Besides, you won't be here much longer. You should go back to your rightful place, scuttle back to the construction site to lug bricks. Brilliant Group is no place for laborers like you."

Lin Xiao studied Lu Yufei, his face a beaming mask, completely perplexed as to why he thought he would be leaving the company.

Regardless of his confusion, he wasn't going to show any courtesy towards this lowlife.

"Beat it!"

"Haha, the one who should be on their way is you. Don't assume your bluster still holds any sway here. Just so you know, I'm privy to all your secrets."

Growing impatient with Lin Xiao's stubbornness, Lu Yufei decided to reveal everything, ready to shatter Lin Xiao's façade of composure.

"You've got quite the nerve, showing up half an hour late to pick up the president. Did you think knowing Assistant Ning would let you run amok in Brilliant Group? Haha, you're paving your own path to destruction. Even assistant Ning can't bail you out now."

That's when it clicked for Lin Xiao. Lu Yufei's renewed arrogance stemmed from his belief that Lin Xiao was about to be ousted by Wan Caixuan.

Having let it all out, Lu Yufei, brimming with satisfaction, watched Lin Xiao, his face etched with surprise. He felt an immense sense of delight, like savoring an ice pop in the heat of summer.

"How does it feel? Exposed now, aren't you? Haha, a laborer like you will always remain just that. I bet working at Brilliant Group must have been the highlight of your life. But alas, it lasted just a day. Tsk tsk... Back to your construction site, where you belong."

"What if you’re wrong? Aren't you afraid that I haven't been fired?" Lin Xiao asked calmly.

Lu Yufei laughed scornfully, "Haha, are you trying to make a joke? Who do you think you are? If you weren't fired, I, Lu Yufei, will walk out of Brilliant Group this instant!"

"Is that so? Then, you can leave now."

Suddenly, a sharp voice rang in Lu Yufei's ears.

Lu Yufei's face fell, and upon looking up, he found Ning Xi giving him a frosty stare.

"Assistant Ning, greetings. I was just reprimanding Lin Xiao, the country bumpkin. He was a whole half-hour late when picking up the president, which made her extremely angry."

Lu Yufei's words noticeably intensified when he spoke of the president's anger.

Against Ning Xi, Lu Yufei didn't dare to be brazen. Knowing she was acquainted with Lin Xiao and fearing retribution, he promptly shared the account of Lin Xiao's tardiness.

He believed that even if Ning Xi sided with Lin Xiao, Brilliant Aya Chemicals, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Brilliant Group, had strict regulations. Ning Xi was merely an executive assistant, not the president. He couldn't fathom her blatantly ignoring the president's orders.

"Alright, I understand."

Ning Xi's response lit up Lu Yufei's face. Indeed, even as an executive assistant, she wouldn't dare to blatantly cover up for someone. But her next statement froze his smile instantly.

"You can start packing. Your time at Brilliant Group is over."

"What?" Lu Yufei looked dumbfounded. Persistently, he replied, "Assistant Ning, there seems to be a misunderstanding. The president told me herself that she was very upset with Lin Xiao being late"

"Do I need to repeat myself?" Ning Xi retorted coldly. "I said you can start packing and leave."

"Assistant Ning, I won't stand for this. I demand to see the president." Lu Yufei shot Ning Xi an indignant look, "I know you're acquainted with Lin Xiao, but the president is clearly displeased with him. Assistant Ning, please don't make a mistake."

"You wish to see the president?" Ning Xi teased.

"Yes, I want to see the president and clear this situation up." Lu Yufei, sensing something amiss in Ning Xi's expression, adamantly affirmed his stance.

Lu Yufei still assumed that Ning Xi was trying to shield Lin Xiao because of their acquaintance. He even pondered on reporting Ning Xi's favoritism to President Wan Caixuan, hoping it might earn him a nod of approval and further his advancement in the company.

"Enough, I've heard all I need to. Now, I demand that you immediately disappear from Brilliant Group."

At that moment, the door to the president's office swung open unexpectedly. Wan Caixuan emerged, her face icy as she stared at Lu Yufei.

Staring at Lu Yufei, Wan Caixuan was seething. She couldn't believe that soon after Lin Xiao had saved her life, there were already people in the company telling him to leave.

"Pres… President..." Stunned by Wan Caixuan's sudden appearance and her icy words, Lu Yufei stumbled over his words, feeling a cold shiver run down his spine. Only then did he realize he had completely misjudged the situation.

"From now on, you're no longer part of Brilliant Aya Chemicals. Don't bother addressing me as president," Wan Caixuan coldly responded.

"Misunderstanding... President... it's all a misunderstanding. I assumed... I assumed..."

"Assumed? Assumed what? Let me clarify for you, as long as Lin Xiao wishes to continue, he will remain my personal bodyguard."

"I...."

Hearing Wan Caixuan's words, Lu Yufei fell into utter despair. Only then did he realize the depth of trust Lin Xiao held. But unfortunately, this realization came too late.

0