Chapter 10 – The Hospice
1.9k 13 88
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                The Pinewood hospice parking lot was pretty bare when I got there – it was really early, and I guess most of the people who normally visited wouldn’t arrive for a few hours more.   I parked, and checked myself in the rear view mirror again.  Still looking like a super effeminate anime dude, Check!  How the hell was dad not going to notice?  Hell, what about the staff?  People don’t change like that overnight – they’d have to notice, right?

 

                *Sometimes.* Siri replied.  *Sometimes people see what they want to see, or what they expect to see.*

 

                “Maybe, Siri.”  I said out loud.  “But if they look above my waist, they won’t be able to miss these changes.”

 

                *I guess not.*  Siri replied.  *What are you going to tell them?*

 

                “I dunno.  I started moisturizing?  Would anyone even believe that?”

 

                Siri laughed, a rich vibrant laugh.  *I doubt it, but I’d love to see their reaction if you said it!*

 

                “Maybe I will, then.  Just you watch.”

 

                Siri chuckled again, and I went inside.

 

                Judy was at the front desk – as usual; she had the morning shift most days – and I braced myself for her reaction...  I wasn’t disappointed.  She looked at me in shock for a few moments, and spoke.

 

                “Ja..Jason?  Hi!  You look different!  Is everything okay?”

 

                “Oh, nothing’s wrong, Judy – I just felt a bit dry and decided to moisturize.”

 

                Siri sounded like she spit up coffee as I said that, and I mentally chuckled.  *You didn’t! Hahaha!*

 

                Judy paused, and smiled.  “Well, it looks great Jason.  What moisturizer do you use?  It looks like it works something amazing.”

 

                Oh Shit!  I didn’t plan far enough ahead!  Help, Siri!

 

                *Sorry, Jason... This is your prank – you run with it.*

 

                Thanks for nothing!  I said, sticking my mental tongue out at her.

 

                “Umm... I didn’t pay too much attention to the name. It smells like cucumber.  I got it down at the mall.”

 

                “Well, if you get a chance, find out the name – it looks amazing on you!”

 

                “Thanks?”

 

                “No problem, dear.  Your dad’s awake and had a little something for breakfast.”

 

                “Thanks Judy.  I’ll go see him.”  I hurried past Judy like she was the gate guard at a prison camp, and hoped she bought my story.  Why did I feel like I should be blushing?

 

                *Because you should be embarrassed about that delivery?  By the way, I’m not sure if she bought it.*

 

                I sighed.  “Me either.”  I whispered under my breath.

 

                I paused just outside my father’s room.  There’s no way he’s not going to notice, Siri.

 

                *I know.  Just talk to him.  He’ll be okay.*

 

                I nodded.  Here goes.  I stepped inside.  “Good morning, Dad.”

 

                “Hey son... what in the gods name happened to you?  You look like... well, you look an awful lot more girly than you did a few days ago.  What the hell happened?”

 

                “A lot, dad.  Can I sit and tell you about it?”

 

                “Please.  You can tell me anything, Jason.  I want to be there for you, for as long as I can.”

 

                “Well, it’s pretty weird.  A few days ago, a meteor landed in front of my car, and... I went to look because I heard someone calling for help.  It was a puddle of golden goop – and it grabbed me and forced itself inside me.”

 

                “Christ!  And it did this to you?”  He asked.

 

                “It did more than this.  It’s actually female, and her name is Siri – short for Sigrid.  She says she’s a Valkyrie, dad – a real Valkyrie!  She’s a symbiote that bonds with humans and gives them powers.  An actual Valkyrie!”

 

                “I take it you believe her?”

 

                “Yeah, so far.  I don’t think we CAN lie to each other.  I don’t think the bond will let us.”

 

                “So why do you look so... different?”

 

                “Valkyries usually bond with women, or I guess men that want to be women.  In this case, I didn’t have a choice – if Siri didn’t bond with me, she says she would have died.  Apparently, their brothers, the Einherjar, bond with men – or presumably women who want to be men.”

 

                “How do you feel about all this, son?”  Dad asked, looking worried for me.

 

                “Honestly, I don’t know.  I didn’t ask or want to be changed this way – but I’m still alive, and I met an angel... hell, I’m part angel now, I guess.  I’ll be able to manage anything, if I know you’re okay.”

 

                “Son, you know I won’t be okay.  The doctors think I’ve only got maybe two months left.”

 

                “Dad, one of the powers Valkyries give their hosts is healing.  I might be able to cure you!”

 

                “Seriously?”

 

                “Yeah, seriously.  There’s just one problem.  If I can’t channel enough power as I am, I’ll have to bond with Siri fully to get enough power to save you... and that means I’ll spend the rest of my life as a woman.”

 

                “Son, I can’t ask you to...”  He began.

 

                “You’re not asking, dad.  I’m telling you.  I love you as much as I love my own life.  I am not leaving here today without healing you of your cancer.  I’m not settling for anything less.  I love you.”

 

                Joseph Stendahl looked at his son with pride, and sadness.  “I love you too, son.  I can’t ask you to do this, but I’m not ready to die, either.”

 

                “You’re not asking, dad.  I’m not giving you a choice.”  I replied sadly too.  “There’s more.  The Valkyries are at war with an alien race called the Krell, and they’ve already sent a hit squad after me.  I survived, thanks to the powers she gave me in our bond, but more might come back at any time.  She’s basically a POW who has to return to base ASAP.  She has to report back to Asgard.  Which means, I’ll have to go with her, seeing as how we’re now bonded.”

 

                Joseph smiled.  “You’re going to heaven, to see the gods?”

 

                I smiled wryly.  “I guess I am.”

 

                “Pics or it didn’t happen, son.”

 

                I laughed.  “Understood, dad.  I’ll get pictures.”

 

                “You’ll stay safe?”

 

                “As safe as I can in a war, dad.  It might be a while before I can come home.”

 

                “As long as you come home, I don’t care.  Male or female, I just want you to be happy.”

 

                “Saving you will make me happy, dad.”

 

                Dad looked at me with such pride and courage, it melted my heart.  I couldn’t fail him.  I reached within, and gathered energy from my source, from Siri, and touched my dad’s arm.  Golden light surrounded us, and filled him – but something in him drained it, absorbed it, and although I could see his pain lessen, it didn’t seem to work right.  I tried again, with the same effect.  Fuck!

 

                “I felt something happen, son.  Am I better?”

 

                “I don’t think so dad.  I might need a moment to talk to Siri.”

 

                *It didn’t work, Jason.  I’m so sorry.* Siri began.  *If it matters, he’ll be without pain or suffering until the end, but he will pass.  I’m sorry.*

 

                That’s not acceptable, Siri.  I thought.  I’m not letting my dad die, probably without me, if we have to return to Asgard.  No way.  No How.

 

                *Then you know the decision you have to make.*

 

                I guess I do, I replied mentally. 

 

                “It didn’t work, dad.  If I’m going to heal you, I... I’m going to have to fully bond with Siri.  Become a woman, and a Valkyrie, completely.”

 

                “You don’t have to do this, son.”  Dad said, sadly.  “You don’t have to.”

 

                “I do, dad.  If I’m going to live with myself, I do.  I’ll deal with the rest of the fallout later.  I’m sorry.  I can’t let you die – not if I have the power to save you so close.”

 

                “Siri... It’s time.  Are you sure that bonding with you fully will give me what I need to save my dad?”

 

                *Absolutely.  Yes.*

 

                “Then let’s do this...”  I said, gritting my teeth.  “Let’s save my dad.”

 

 

 

88