Chapter 26 – Reports and Intelligence
1.1k 13 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Thor and I returned to Asgard, it was to cheering crowds of citizens, and some soldiers as well.  Shouts of “Well done!” and “Give ‘em Hel!” carried to our ears.  As we strode down the Bifrost bridge towards the city, their cries grew stronger, their praise more effusive.

 

“This is your moment, Sannyr.  Revel in its glory!”  Thor began.  “If I am right, this war with the Krell will be over soon, and there will be few chances for celebrating victory.  In one way I am glad – my father’s people will no longer suffer the attacks and depredations of the Krell, and we will be able to live in peace – but I do miss this... The glory of battle, the thrill of testing one’s strength against a potentially superior foe, and the rush of seeing them cast down and broken before you.  This is likely one of the last battles Asgard will take part in for another several hundred years – with the exception of the attack on the Krell homeworld.”

 

“And how soon will that attack be launched, Milord Thor?”  I asked. 

 

“Soon.  Within days... a week at most, but probably less.”  He replied.

 

“Ahh...  Then I think I’ll talk to my troops, get debriefed, and get a shower – probably in that order.”

 

Thor laughed.  “Aye.  One does tend to smell ripe after a battle.”

 

“You know, technically, this was only my second battle.  It’s amazing how much I learned from bonding to Siri.”

 

“Aye, ‘tis true, Sannyr – but never forget the human host – the human half of us – is just as important as the Symbiote.  The Symbiote might have knowledge, and experience – but our human halves have passion, and agency.  Without both working together, we would be far, far less than we have become.”  He replied.  “But here is not for talk of such things.  If you wish to know more, I can speak with you later.  Come to my steading of Bilskirnir for dinner one evening.  My wife Sif and I would be most pleased.”

 

“Thank you, Milord Thor.  It is an honor.”

 

Thor snorted in derision.  “It’s a dinner invitation.  An honor is being made one of the Twelve – a role you still have to grow into.”

 

“Indeed.  As you say then, Milord.  Let me know when.”

 

“Judging from how fast everything is moving, I expect it won’t be until after we invade and destroy the Krell homeworld.”

 

“Until then, Milord.  I see my troops – I should go check on their status.”

 

“Until then, War-Leader!”  He clasped me on the shoulder, and headed off into the city, while I headed to the staging area to see the status of my team.

 

Grainne and Deanna looked like they were checking on the men, so I headed over to my seconds.  A few Einherjar snapped to attention, and after I returned their salutes, I waved them down.  This isn’t a formal inspection, I thought to myself.  I need to know the butcher’s bill. 

 

“How many did we lose in the attack, ladies?”  I asked.   

 

“More than I’m comfortable with, ma’am.”  Grainne replied, sadly.  “68 injured.  22 Einherjar lost their lives – but their Symbiotes were recovered.  Four Einherjar and their Symbiotes were permanently killed and were unretrievable from the Krell super-weapon.  I’m glad you survived ma’am.  I assume the ship and its weapon are no more?”

 

Siri gasped inside my mind at the thought of several Einherjar ceasing to exist...  I was beginning to understand that the Aesir – the Einherjar, Valkyries, and their Lords and Ladies, largely considered their people immortal, so losing people forever was difficult for them.  “Yes.  The Krell ship is gone, as is the weapon aboard it.  Will the injured recover?”

 

“Aye, in time.  Many won’t be ready for the attack on the Krell Homeworld – and the Einherjar who lost their hosts will need to heal and find new hosts.  It will take time – as you well know.  I mourn the four we lost forever.”  Deanna replied.

 

“As do I, sisters.  Make sure their names are placed on the roll of honor.  Siri says their feats must be added to the tales of those sung in Valhalla.”

 

“We will make sure it is done, War Leader.”  Both Deanna and Grainne replied.

 

I nodded, thanking them... and then, at Siri’s suggestion, I wandered amongst the men – the Einherjar I led into battle – and saw how they were.  Some were injured, and many were exhausted – but I could tell they were glad I came.  I thanked them for their bravery – and extolled their honor on the field of battle, congratulating those whose actions deserved more than a few words.  Their loyalty to the Aesir was also to me, personally – and I found it humbling to walk amongst them, and being accepted and revered.  The trust they had given me was humbling... I could only thank the gods I had been able to bring most of them home alive.

 

Wilson.  Hrund.  Gimli.  Angvar.  Those were the men we lost forever today.  Siri made me memorize their names, and their deeds.  I will never forget their sacrifice. 

 

Eventually, I came to Ingvar and Oleg – the two techies who siphoned off what intel they could from the Krell mainframe.  Ingvar was bandaging a wound on his leg, and Oleg was checking his gear.  Both men made to stand, but relaxed when I motioned them to be at ease.

 

“How goes it, gentlemen?”

 

“Good, Ma’am.”  Ingvar began.  “This leg wound won’t keep me down for long.  A few hours and I’ll be fine.”

 

“Aye.  We’re good ma’am.  We saw what you did with Brunhilde.  I’m sorry you had to kill her.”  Oleg said.

 

“Me too, gentlemen.  Siri and Brunhilde had been friends a long time – and killing her was difficult.  Do you have the intel from the Krell mainframe?  Is it safe?”

 

“Aye, ma’am.”  Oleg began.  “I’ve got it here in this data crystal.  I kept it for you – I figured you’d like to give it to Lord Loki and Lord Heimdall yourself.”  Oleg offered me the data crystal, and I took it from him carefully.

 

“Thanks for that, Oleg.  I appreciate that you saved that honor for me.”

 

“It’s only fair.  You fought that psycho bitch to a standstill while we worked.  Without that, we’d have all been killed, so fair is fair, ma’am.  I’m sure we’ll all miss Brunhilde, but whatever they turned her into – that wasn’t the Valkyrie we used to know and serve under, if you know what I mean, ma’am.”

 

“I do, Oleg.  Thank you both for the data.”  I replied.

 

“Oh, ma’am?”  Ingvar asked.  “That Einherjar who carried you out of there?  His name is Calder, in case you wanted to know.”

 

I remembered him – picking me up like a sack of potatoes, and throwing me over his shoulder as he hauled ass out of the Krell ship.  Siri found the position appealing – me, not so much.  To say I was of mixed feelings about the whole situation was very accurate, but I supposed I did owe the man a thank you.  I was pretty disoriented at the end of my battle with Brunhilde, and it might be good to know exactly how much he had seen...

 

“Thank you, Ingvar.  Do you have any idea where I could find him?”  I asked.

 

Ingvar grinned.  “He’s right behind you, ma’am.”

 

I whirled – only to see the cocky Einherjar called Calder standing there at attention, with a cocky grin plastered on his face.  “Greetings, War-Leader!  I trust you are well?”

 

Cheeky bugger!  “I am, partially thanks to you, soldier.  I believe your name is Calder?”

 

“Aye, ma’am.  I understand you used to be Siri and Sheryl – but now you’ve bonded with someone else?”

 

“Aye.  Sannyr Dawn Stendahl.”  I said, offering my hand to shake.

 

“So, do I call you Sannyr, or Dawn, War-Leader?”  He asked, clasping my arm in greeting in the Asgardian fashion, instead of shaking my hand.

 

“Sannyr, while we’re here on Asgard.  Probably Dawn when I’m on Midgard.”

 

“Aye, so Sannyr it is.  Well met.  I believed you might wish to talk with me, ma’am, so I’m making myself available to you for as long as you need me.”  He said the last bit with a wink, and I nearly had to stifle a laugh.  The cheeky bugger was flirting with me!  It annoyed me, because it felt like a pleasant compliment, while reminding me of how uncomfortable I was at the moment.  It was damn disconcerting, and I knew at some point soon I’d have to face up to whatever feelings the full bonding with Siri had changed within me. 

 

But not yet.

 

“Down, boy.”  I laughed.  “We need to talk – but that will be the extent of things for now.”

 

“As you wish, War Leader.”  Calder replied with a grin.  “I am a most patient man.”

 

“And an impertinent one, as well, I see.”

 

“Guilty as charged, Ma’am.”  He replied.  His blue eyes gazed deep into mine, and I had to look away... I don’t know what his gaze sparked within me, but it made me very uncomfortable.  More stuff to deal with later.

 

“Oleg, Ingvar, thank you for your help.”  I said to the others, changing the subject.

 

“You’re welcome, Ma’am.”  Ingvar said, wisely holding his tongue on any other comments he might have been thinking.

 

“Calder, come with me.  We need to talk.”  I said.

 

“I am yours to command, War Leader.”  Calder replied, and fell into step beside me.

 

We walked a while through the citadel, not talking, until we reached a relatively private garden and portico, standing before the entrance to a grand temple to the Aesir Lords and Ladies.  I sat on a white stone bench carved with runes and trimmed in gold, and Calder sat with me as I gathered my thoughts for a moment.

 

“How much did you see, Calder?”  I asked.

 

“Enough to know you are far more than one of the Twelve, ma’am... or should I say my Lady?”  He said quietly.  Although the garden was quiet, it was not abandoned, and a few other Asgardians were about, enjoying the green and the scenery. 

 

I sighed.  Dammit, that was supposed to stay secret! 

 

*He might not be the only one, Sannyr.  Oleg and Ingvar might have seen too.  You did reveal your power.*

 

I had no choice!  Brunhilde would have bested us, and the mission would have failed!  I thought.

 

*Sannyr, I am not assigning blame... I’m just noting whomever else might have seen.  I think Oleg and Ingvar are trustworthy.  What we need to discover now is if Calder is as well.*

 

Siri was right.  The cat was out of the bag, at least to a few people.  Now I had to figure out just how many people knew. 

 

“Are you sure of what you saw, Calder?”  I asked.

 

“Are you going to insult me and suggest that I may have misinterpreted what my eyes clearly saw?”  He countered.  “You are one of the Asynjur.  I saw everything.  Your secret is safe with me, my Lady.  Why are the other Aesir making you hide your rank?  Are you being punished?”

 

“No, I do not believe so, Calder.  I believe they will announce my elevation once the attack on the Krell Homeworld is complete and we are victorious.  I am not being punished.  They are simply waiting for the right time.  Anything else, I cannot speak of – I have been sworn to silence.”

 

Calder nodded.  “Then it gives me great honor to have aided you in your time of need, my Lady.”  He replied, his face still plastered with his customary cheeky grin – but also this time with a hint of reverence.

 

“The honor was mine, to serve with such loyal and brave Einherjar, Calder.  Can I trust you to keep this a secret?”

 

“I will take it to my eternal grave, my Lady.”  He said honestly.

 

“I hope that will not be necessary.” I said with my own smirk.  “Thank you.”

 

“Thank you for saving us, my Lady.”

 

“Please, Ma’am or War Leader.  Someone may overhear.”  I cautioned.

 

“As you say, then War Leader.” 

 

I was unsure of what to say next – and the damn fool just kept sitting with me, waiting for something to happen.  It’s like he was basking in my presence...  What the hell?  Siri!  What do I do?  I felt butterflies again in my stomach, and the feeling made me uncomfortable and ill with its implications.

 

*Well, I’d say either kiss him, or thank him again and dismiss him – with your thanks.*

 

Of course you would say that.  Not happening.  I’ll go with the thanks. 

 

“Calder, you have my thanks for the rescue – and I will be mentioning it in my reports to the High command – but I must report to Lord Heimdall and Lord Loki with the information from the Krell mothership.  Will you excuse me?”

 

“Of course, War-Leader.  I am at your service.  Anytime.  Day or night.  Especially night.”

 

                “Soldier... Don’t push your luck.”  I said sternly and seriously.

 

                Calder  nodded, and went to his knees.  “My apologies, War-Leader.”  He did look chagrined, and seemed to realize he may have pushed too far.

 

                I sighed.  Of course it would end like this.  “Calder, rise.  I am not mad.  I am having trouble integrating my Symbiote with myself and who I used to be.  You did nothing wrong, but banter such as this I am finding to be most disconcerting at the moment.  I owe you a debt that I will one day repay, but for now, I am not comfortable with your innuendo.  Let us part as friends.  Can you do that?”

 

                “Yes, of course, War-Leader.  My deepest apologies.  Of course we can part as friends.  I’m sorry to have troubled you, War-Leader.  I will leave you to report to Lord Heimdall and Lord Loki.”  He rose, and saluted, and then began to leave, turning once to look at me.  “I am sorry, Sannyr.”

 

                “As am I.  This confusion between Siri and myself is difficult to deal with.  Another time, Calder.”

 

                He nodded, and left, leaving me alone in the garden, feeling like I wanted to cry, but having no fucking idea why.  The emotion just came from out of seemingly nowhere, and it washed over me like a wave.  Maybe it was stress, or something else, but I felt tears come to my eyes, and spent a few moments in the garden, crying and not knowing why.

 

                *Sorry, Sannyr.  I forget you’re not used to female hormones.  This might happen a few times until you get practice in recognizing and dealing with it before you’re overwhelmed.  I should have warned you.*

 

                “What the hell was that, Siri?”  I asked quietly.

 

                *I think you were experiencing stress, and your body saw crying as the only way to get the stress out.*  Siri replied, deftly deflecting the topic from whatever may have been causing me the stress.

 

                “This is something I’m going to have to deal with, isn’t it?”

 

                *Sooner or later, Sannyr.  Jason.  You can’t hide from it forever.*

 

                I sighed, realizing Siri was right.  Maybe it was time to talk to Grunne and Lashawna?  I’ll see if they’re free once I report to Loki and Heimdall, I thought.  As it is, time’s a wasting.

 

                I stood and composed myself, and headed off to be debriefed, data crystal in hand.

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

 

                I arrived at the Citadel, and made my way to the Intelligence section, and by the time I arrived, Lord Loki was waiting for me – minus his shadow, the Valkyrie Rae.  “Sannyr.  I’m glad you’re back.  Was your mission successful?”

 

                “Yes, my Lord.”  I replied.  “We recovered virtually all the kidnapped Einherjar, the data on the weapon, and more.  I had to kill Brunhilde, to my regret.  Will Lord Heimdall be joining us?”

 

                “No, not this time, War-Leader.  He is busy arranging the attack on the Krell homeworld with my brother and the All-Father.  I’m debriefing you on my own today.”

 

                “Of course, my Lord.”  I nodded, and began my tale.  Loki sat quietly, listening to my report – his face carefully schooled to not give away his inner feelings.  As I recounted the tale of my mission, he occasionally jotted something down on his tablet, and bit by bit, his grin grew.  By the time I had finished my tale, Loki was grinning ear to ear, and I wasn’t sure if I should be proud or afraid.

 

                “So, the Aesir can survive a blast from their dread weapon.  Excellent!  You have done well, Sannyr, Sigrid.  And you have the data from the Krell ship?”

 

                “Yes, milord.”  I replied, handing him the data crystal.  “This is the data my men were able to retrieve from the ship.  I haven’t had time to look at it.  I brought it straight here.”

 

                “Excellent.  I’ll make sure it gets to the right people.  You have done very well, Sannyr.  You have my thanks, and will soon have the thanks of all Asgard.  I will make sure the All Father hears of your success.  Well done.”

 

                “Thank you, Lord Loki.”  I replied, saluting in the Asgardian fashion.

 

                “You’re dismissed, War-Leader,” He said, returning my salute.  “Get some rest and relaxation – we’ll be needing your services again soon.  The attack on the Krell Homeworld is only days away.”

 

                “Of course, my Lord.”  I saluted again, and left, returning to the barracks to get a shower, some food, and maybe some rest – not necessarily in that order.

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                As War-Leader Sannyr left the debriefing room, Loki smiled.  She had played her part perfectly, and handed what he sought right to his hand...  Now, I wonder what I could do with the knowledge of how to forcefully rip a Symbiote from its host, he thought.  Or what I could do with the ability to reprogram Symbiotes?  Most interesting.  He carefully slid the data crystal into a hidden pocket on his robes.  It’s a shame the data was irretrievable and corrupted, he thought.  Ah well.  Loki couldn’t help but allow himself to smile.  Who would have thought the Krell could be so inventive?

 

                Everything was working out perfectly.  Just like he planned it.

 

 

 

45