Chapter 28. Thornstride Attack!
1.2k 8 82
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Flor made her way back, her Aether Mana had been consumed by around a tenth. While carrying the four books with her Aether Mana wasn't much effort, the journey back was long, and the books were somewhat heavy.

'I hope this helps.'

She was a bit doubtful. After all, her knowledge of World Trees was very limited. 'Ah!'

Flor almost smacked herself. 'I should've asked for books about how to take care of World Trees!'

While it wasn't necessary, as World Trees were more than capable of taking care of themselves, as with everything, a bit of assistance wouldn't hurt anybody, moreover, knowing more about them would help the Rose Fairies understand their main needs and valuable facts.

Flor smiled. 'Well, I now know what to ask Verdantia for.'

As she approached the groove where Liu Shu was, Flor heard battle sounds, making her face change from relaxed to wrathful. "I was gone for a day, and they think they can step on my territory as they please!?"

Let's turn back the clock an hour.

For the Rose Fairies, it was a typical day. They took care of Liu Shu the best they could, collecting the fruits growing on her branches and looking around the area for threats.

Aster was patrolling with a bored look on her face. "When we were in the other home, we didn't need to patrol so much. Why has it become a routine now?"

A Level 7 Rose Fairy by her side commented with a stutter. "W-Well, Liu Shu is weaker and also more important than that tree. It is normal for us to be more careful, no?"

Aster snorted. "Do you think I don't know that? I was complaining just because!"

The other fairy smiled wryly. "I see-"

BANG!

Aster's face changed to incredulous as a massive rock hit the other fairy and sent her flying backward without control. "WHO DARES!?"

Before anything, Aster quickly turned around to save the other Rose Fairy, but from the shrubs, two Level 7 Thornstride appeared and jumped up, opening their mouths and chomping down on her.

Their sharp fangs dropped like guillotines, deeply sinking into the body of the Level 7 Rose Fairy.

Aster saw the Fairy's Phoer Body Shards plummet to zero as their fangs pierced through the fairy's body, signifying her death.

With her face twisted in anger, she shouted. "YOU ARE GOING TO PAY FOR THIS!"

As soon as she was about to rush forward and fight the two Level 7s, two Level 8 Thornstride appeared from the side, stopping her in her tracks. The four of them looked at her with an unmistakable sneer as one of the Level 7 Thornstrides began eating the Rose Fairy.

Even if she had the advantage of flying, a four-against-one was not a favorable situation. While Aster was impulsive, she was not brainless enough to go against them. 'This disgusting tree eaters! ARGH!'

Aster quickly turned around and returned to the place where Liu Shu was, shouting after she arrived. "We are being attacked! Prepare!"

All the Rose Fairies stopped what they were doing, and everyone at Level 6 and above moved at once toward the defensive positions.

In the place where Liu Shu was located, there were three paths leading into the area, with natural barriers that stopped people from approaching as they pleased.

In the first place, a weak tree like she was before absorbing that leaf had no business surviving for too long. It was just a coincidence that Liu Shu was born in a relatively isolated place. It was also a coincidence created by the random skill she gained that she would later absorb the leaf that allowed her to become a World Tree.

Clavel moved quickly and asked Aster. "What about the other one that was with you?"

Aster bit her lips. "Dead."

Clavel paused for a second, showing a look of grief. However, she quickly recovered. "First, the fight. We'll bury her under Liu Shu's roots after we finish."

Then, she turned to leave. However, Aster bit her lips harder and commented. "We can't. They ate her."

Clavel said without turning around. "Then, we'll bury the beast who ate her."

Aster looked at Clavel's back and turned toward the other path with a resolute face. "We will."

The three paths were each covered with a Level 8 Rose Fairy: Aster, Zinia, and Clavel.

Meanwhile, the Level 9 Amapola was in the middle of the place, and if any side needed help, she would move and quickly fly and help.

To relay which side needed aid, there were Level 5 Rose Fairies acting as messengers between the fairies.

It was a well-thought-out method in which everyone could do something. If any side faced an overwhelming number of enemies, they would all retreat and regroup near Liu Shu.

They knew that while they were protecting Liu Shu, the World Tree was not someone that could be easily messed with.

On one of the sides, at a point with two cliffs and a lot of vegetation, Clavel saw 6 Thornstride arrive. However, her face was solemn as one of them was a Level 9 Thornstride.

This Thornstride sneered. "Since my father doesn't want to attack while Flor is away and locked himself with his females, let me, Mraar, do what he couldn't and deal with that tree that killed my little brother!"

While Clavel knew that Thornstrides were not too intelligent, she didn't expect to learn about all their reasoning for the surprise attack in less than 10 seconds. 'Is there a point to speak about all of this?'

The Thornstride by Mraar's side made a hiss-like roar, feeling motivated. Clavel blinked. 'I see. It was to motivate her group.'

Clavel looked at the seven fairies by her side and pondered. 'We are more numerous. However, Mraar is an F+ Rank Level 9, while I, the strongest in this group, is just an F Rank Level 8.'

"Fight calmly, Level 5 Fairies, tell our battle situation back to Amapola. We are fighting against one Level 9, two Level 6, and Three Level 5. Also, tell her the message Mraar told us."

A Level 5 Rose Fairy rose to the air and left.

Leaving one Level 8, one Level 7, four Level 6, and two Level 5 in her ground. Clavel smiled. 'Let's see how much of a difference you and I can make.'

Mraar charged forward, her lizard-like body using all four limbs to crawl forward. Clavel also flew closer and sent a tentative wind crescent.

Mraar used her strong reflexes to dodge to the side and receive zero damage. Still, using the exaggerated dodge, Clavel moved to intercept her movements with a more robust and quick attack.

Of course, the Thornstride tanked it because her outer hide was highly durable. The damage was there. However, taking Mraar down would take much more.

The other fairies were fighting the rest of the Thornstride. While the battles between these two groups looked overwhelmingly in the Rose Fairies' favor, the Thornstrides had the advantage of being able to land a decisive blow as long as they could touch them.

How would they be able to touch a flying creature? They had many methods, like the one they used to deal with that Level 7 Rose Fairy.

One of the Thornstride used his long claw and a nearby tree to grab onto it and jump. If the Level 7 Rose Fairy hadn't quickly reacted and pushed the Level 6 Fairy out of the way, she would've been in a lot of trouble.

For the other two sides, it was much more favored for the Rose Fairy group because they didn't have the powerful Level 9 protecting them.

The two Level 8 Thornstride lead those two groups, all under Mraar's command.

Amapola received the messages from the Level 5 Fairies and quickly decided to move toward the place where Clavel was. 'If we can deal with her, it will be a very strong blow. It wouldn't be strange if the rest of Thornstride retreated in defeat.'

Clavel and Mraar fought together, with Mraar having the upper hand. While Clavel had significantly improved, the difference between levels can be massive, especially between tiers.

While they fought, Clavel had to dodge one rock thrown by Mraar quickly, and Mraar didn't let the opportunity sleep. She quickly climbed and jumped!

Clavel's facial expression changed when she saw the large creature flying her way. She had been distracted for a second, and suddenly, she was in trouble.

With quick maneuvers, Clavel's body quickly moved out of the way. However, when she thought that it was okay, the tip of her foot got entangled in something.

Seeing the red rope-like material tied around her leg, Clavel wasn't pleased. Right after, the Thornstride pulled, throwing the small Fairy toward her own opened mouth.

Clavel quickly reacted and threw a wind crescent to her face. "Scram!"

BANG!

[-200]

Mraar grunted in pain, but her eyes glowed with the determined light of a creature that had seen its own ups and downs. Resisting the pain, her jaw moved and closed her maw.

"<Thorn Chomp>."

CRUNCH!

"AHHH!"

Clavel screamed in pain as a large [-124] appeared on her head. That was almost half her entire Phoer Body Shard reserves, showing how dreadful that attack was.

BANG!

When Mraar was about to finish Clavel off, her side was slammed by something extremely heavy and sharp, throwing her sliding sideways while making her hiss in pain.

[-450]!

Mraar's side was split open, blood pouring through, and with it, her Phoer Body Shards.

Amapola arrived and quickly fed two <Basic Phoer Berries> to Clavel. While 20 Phoer Body Shards were not much, they would help the body heal much quicker.

Amapola looked at Mraar, who had around 1500 Phoer Body Shards left from her initial 2174. "How about you choose an opponent of your own size?

Mraar hissed. "She was careless and reckless. The fact that she could now escape before I finished her off is already lucky."

Looking at the injured Clavel, Amapola frowned. "I don't care, but if you don't retreat with your people, you will regret it.`"

Mraar cackled. "What can happen? Flor is away. Then, you and I might be equal. However, what about the rest?"

Amapola looked around, and when she saw that the fairies were actually struggling, her face gained a frown. 'Why? We should be winning as we have number and level advantage.'

Mraar sneered. "You can fly and attack from a safe distance. However, do you think your race is the only race that does it? Our own race has been fighting creatures like yours for many generations. We have our own means as much as you have your own!"

After thinking for a while, Amapola carried Clavel in her arms and shouted. "Retreat!"

The fairies were surprised but quickly obeyed. A messenger was sent toward the other two sides, and soon, all fairies had regrouped around Liu Shu's side.

82