Chapter 4
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A day later, the Andrew the doctor, arrived in his room with the nurse, Lina, and began checking up on him once more. Then he began to take out the connection between the man on the bed and the tube connecting the cylindrical object hanging beside his bed and smiled at him.

“With this, you’re pretty much ready to start eating normal foods again, though I expect you’ll be fully recovered to get back into society,” said Andrew with a smile.

“Thanks, doctor,” said the man said with a smile.

The doctor nodded with satisfaction and departed the room while Lina remained behind to ask him a few questions.

“Up until now, your details had been left blank except for the room you were being treated in,” she exclaimed and showed him the paper that were asking for his details. “For our record, do you have your any identification on you?”

“Yes,” he replied and took out the wallet that the officers had given him the previous day. Opening it, he pulled out the identity card and handed it to her while saying, “Here.”

She took it and after checking it briefly, she muttered, “Zayden.”

“Yes?” He asked, reacting to her saying his name out loud.

“Oh. Nothing. I was just intrigued by your name,” she said with a smile before beginning to fill out the details on the paper with what was shown on the identify card.

The man on the bed, whose actual name was Asura Rangavardan, decided to take on the name of the original owner of this body after making the promise of not bringing shame to his name. As such, he had become familiar with the name and so would react to anyone that called him out using the name of that world.

“Alright, Zayden. Sit tight while I bring you some food. I’m sure you’re starving for some delicacy,” she said with a smile.

“Yes, please!” Zayden replied happily, his eyes sparkling with hope.

Lina chuckled after finding his reaction to be funny and departed from the room. As soon as she left, his smile faded, and he raised both of his freed hands before beginning to experiment with them. First, he flexed the fingers and after finding nothing wrong with the fingers, he got off the bed and stood upright.

He walked a little unsteadily, but them more he walked, the more he got used to walking until he was able to walk more freely with slight issues. Then he spun around, doing a complete three-sixty on the spot and faced the same direction that he was previously in.

“Good. This is good enough to begin,” he said with a satisfised look.

Without another word, he laid himself down on the flood and began to do push-ups. After figuring out how weak his stamina was, he decided on training this body to become stronger in order to fully utilise the abilities, techniques and skills he had mastery over. So, training the body was a priority for him, but he ran into a problem as soon as he began the training.

“9…. 10…!” he wheezed, both of his hands and legs shaking as they struggled to keep him off the ground.

Suddenly, they both gave way and he fell to the floor, the side of his face smacking the hard floor and causing him to wince with pain.

“Damn!” He snapped, clutching his head in pain. “How pathetic is this?! I, who once was able to go thousand push-ups without a sweat, am struggling to do barely ten!” He complained, looking very frustrated. “Weak! Too weak! This is far harder than I thought it would be! Damn!”

Forced to accept the fact that he would not be able to do thousand push-ups from the very beginning, he decided to slowly ease into it. With that in mind, he began doing ten push-ups and 10 stomach-crunches every half-an-hour. He actually wanted to reduce the cooldown period to fifteen minutes instead, but his body was screaming in pain. So, he had to listen to his body and do body training every half-an-hour.

Thus, his body training began with a half-an-hour of break between each training session. However, Lina did not agree to this as the first time she witnessed him struggling to do push-ups, she scolded him profusely while helping him get back to his bed.

“You had just recovered from a terrible accident! Stop pushing your body already when you’re still recovering!” She exclaimed with a sharp look.

“I can’t!” He replied firmly. “I was clearly attacked with the intention of taking my life. I can’t just sit back and stay weak like this. I need to become stronger, strong enough to protect myself if I was attacked next time.”

She saw his determination and made a pitiful expression on her face as she consoled him with, “I understand why you’re doing this, but you’re going to hurt your body before it fully recovers. That’ll only delay your recovery time and also delay the time you can spend training your body.”

He looked at her face filled with concern and said with a sad smile, “Unfortunately, I don’t have the time or the luxury to wait.”

Lina could tell he was determined to go through with it regardless of her attempts to divert his mind. Without a choice, she breathed a weary sigh and spoke firmly to him.

“Alright. Fine. You are free to do whatever you want with your body, but as long as you’re in this hospital, you’re under our care. So, don’t do something that’ll strain your body. Do you understand, Zayden?”

“I understand,” he replied with a confident smile, to which she returned the smile. Then he asked her, “Do you have any large area for running and the like?”

“Yeah. We do have a walking track,” she replied without thinking before looking shrewdly at him. “Hey. I just told you not to strain yourself.”

He laughed and assured her by saying, “Don’t worry, Lina. My body is terribly weak. I can barely do ten push-ups before my body gave up on me.”

His statement made her laugh and say, “Don’t worry. With that determination, you’ll definitely become strong.”

He nodded and began making his plans on how to go about his body training. First thing in the morning, he would go to the walking track and jog around the track a few times before he would get tired. He wanted to run, but he had already guessed his body was not fit enough to run just yet and getting accustomed to going around the track was the best way to start things off.

 

Then he returned to his room to begin the repetitive muscle training with breaks lasting for half-an-hour before breakfast. After having breakfast, he would continue to repetitive muscle training till it was lunch time. Once it was lunch time, he would return to the walking track to continue jogging around the field several more times before returning to his room for lunch. After having lunch, he would continue the muscle training and during the evening, just before the sun set, he would jog around the field several more times before returning and resting for the rest of the night.

Zayden continued to this training regime for one week while he remained in the hospital. During this time, he had increased his push-ups from ten to fifteen, but he did not let up as he continued the intense training. Luckily, the meals and the bath made him feel refreshed after each workout and so it never dampened his motivation.

Finally, a week later, during lunch time, he was running around the walking track at high speed. With the increase in his stamina, he was able to exert even more and so he stopped jogging and bad begun to run hard. As for push-ups, he was finally able to push the fifteen counts to just thirty.

While having a meal, Lina inquired about his progression and was mightily impressed by his quick development. However, he was not pleased with the slow progress as the goal in his mind was to do one-thousand in a single go.

One day, a week after seeing him, Andrew the doctor arrived in his room and checked up on him. He was very impressed with how Zayden’s body had developed and remarked his amazement.

“Oh wow. You’ve gotten so strong and your body’s gotten quite firmer. Look. Even your fatigue is gone, and your injuries are pretty much non-existent. This is the most impressed I am apart from dealing with the Super Heroes that get admitted due to injuries from fighting.”

“Super Heroes?” Zayden asked, looking baffled.

From the memories he had gained from the original owner of the body, he had also received much of this world’s common sense as well as the terminology for many of the things that were very foreign to him. One of those was the term called “Super Heroes” that was given to those individuals that had awakened special abilities, superhuman strengths, and could perform inhumane feats that far surpass any human capabilities, who were referred to as Super Humans.

In this world, the Super Humans must register themselves under the body of the government of each country to become a registered Super Hero to perform heroic acts and get paid for their actions in helping the society. However, there were also those with bad intentions and would use their Super Human capabilities for their own selfish goals.

“So, the Super Heroes get admitted here?” He asked the doctor questioningly.

“Yeah,” said Andrew in confirmation. “That’s why you don’t need to pay your hospital bill.”

Zayden looked at him blankly for a moment before the realisation dawned on him, and he exclaimed, “Wait! The bill!”

Andrew burst into a ruckus laughter as he found Zayden’s reaction be quite funny. On the other hand, Zayden was panicking as he was suddenly concerned about how much the hospital bill had racked up. Even Lina found his reaction to be funny, but she covered he mouth with her hand while looking away.

“Calm down, Zayden,” the doctor said with a smile. “You don’t need to pay the bill.”

“I don’t?” Zayden asked, looking surprised.

Andrew nodded and Lina took this chance to explain, “You see, if you got admitted to a regular hospital, then they would’ve charged you for all the expenses occurred in making you get better. However, since this is a government hospital that handles everything related to serious cases to all the injuries for the Super Heroes, all the facilities are free of charge.”

“Oh…!” Zayden said in amazement. “I’m glad I got admitted here.”

“Yes, you should be. As I said, if the ambulance was any later in admitting you, your life would’ve been at risk,” the doctor told him with concern before smiling, “but I’m glad things worked out for the best.”

Zayden saw the sincerely in the doctor and smiled before bowing and saying, “Thank you very much, doctor, for saving my life. I really don’t know how to repay this favour.”

“Hey now, don’t say that,” Andrew said with a smile. “I just did my duty as what a doctor should by saving lives. Your life was saved, and you got better and stronger as well, so I’m very happy for you.” As the two of them exchanged smiles, Andrew went on to say, “Anyway, you’re all better now, so you’re free to go whenever you’re ready.”

“Alright, doctor. I’ll leave tomorrow morning,” said Zayden with a nod of understanding.

“That’s fine,” said Andrew and he held his hand out. “It was a pleasure meeting you, Zayden.”

“Same here, doctor!” Zayden replied, and the two men shook hands firmly before letting go.

As Andrew bid him farewell, Lina came closer to explain some details to him.

“Zayden, your clothes that you got admitted in have been washed and hanged in that cabinet,” she said and pointed at the small opening located in the corner of the room.

“Oh, thanks for that!” He told her happily.

“Don’t mention it. It’s our duty.” she told him with a smile. Then she said, “Also,” and pulled out a phone out of her pocket before asking him, “would you mind if we add each other’s contacts?”

“Oh. That’s fine by me,” he replied with a surprised look. Then he realised something and wondered aloud, “I wonder where my phone is…?”

Reacting to his words, Lina walked over to the cabinet and opened it. There, she rummaged through clothes that were his and pulled out something with an exclamation of, “Got it!”

She walked back to him and handed his phone over to him much to his surprise.

“I’m glad it’s not damaged or anything,” he muttered in relief.

“Why’re you worried?” She asked him curiously. “Don’t you have warranty on it?”

“Um…?” He hesitated and looking nervously at her.

She understood that look and looked dumbfoundedly at him.

“Why’re you using a phone that’s out of warranty?” She asked incredulously. Then she took a closer look at the phone and realised something before saying, “Wait! That’s a very old model that was released five years ago! How come you’re using something that old?”

“Well, I mean, it works fine and all,” he stated simply with a feeble smile.

Asura was doing his best to act the role of the person that he had seen in the memories, but was struggling at that moment. He found Lina’s words annoying and thought, “Damn, what’s with this woman? She’s unnecessarily poking her nose into my business so much!”

“Hmm, really?” She asked as she scrutinised him. Then she straightened up and said firmly, “That’s it. I’m buying you a new phone.”

“Huh?” He reacted in surprise and was taken aback.

“You heard me. I’ll buy you a new phone. I can’t stand seeing you using an outdated phone!” She said firmly with a determined look.

He was baffled by her firm statement and said, “No, it’s okay. Really. You don’t need to buy me anything.”

“No. I feel I should after seeing your situation,” she told him much to his surprise. “I’m guessing you’re poor, working one or two jobs daily and possibly have no one to depend on.”

Zayden was amazed by her sharp thinking and said, “Yeah. I’m an orphan, so I don’t really have anyone to rely on. As for my current finances, I’m doing odd jobs everyday just to make ends meet.” Then he told her, “So, please don’t worry about my phone or me in particular. I don’t want to feel like I owe someone anything.”

“Oh? Is that how you’re feeling?” She asked and appeared to be in deep thought. Then she smiled and said, “How about this? I’ll buy you a phone, and you’ll treat me to a meal. How’s that?”

“Huh? Just a meal?” He asked in surprise.

She nodded and said, “Yeah.” Then she became somewhat nervous and said, “Actually, I wanted us to have each other’s contacts so that we could meet each other every once in a while, in the future. You know?” Then, as if finding what she said embarrassing, she quickly added, “As friends of course.”

“Oh,” he reacted in surprise while looking baffled.

They continued to talk back and forth until, finally, he gave in and so the two of them exchange their contact details.

“Finally!” She said with a satisfied smile. “So, when you leave the hospital tomorrow morning, give me a call, and I’ll come to you. Alright?”

“Uh… Sure,” he told her, still feeling surprised by what had happened.

“Great! See you then~!” She said with a bright smile and waved in farewell before departing from the room, leaving behind a very baffled Zayden.

1