Chapter 1 – Death
419 6 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Still 3rd POV (will change to first in this chapter...depending if everything follows correctly)

Zach sat in the front section of the plane, messing with the device in his hands. He hadn't even thought to move since being brought up there and figured that his class, and teacher, would be fine where they were as long as he got off the plane with them. He found that the device was built similarly to the other one, but instead of a plug that he could use in a computer, the thing split in half when he touched the center circle part. And while the circle stayed in-between his fingers the two sides split apart and started to rotate like a fan's blades. It surprised Zach so much that he dropped it on the floor, but even dropping that didn't stop the spinning...in fact it seemed to have stabilized mid-air to float just level with his knees.

It flashed with large white light and Zach looked away for a moment, temporarily blinded. When he could see clearly again he saw that there was a projected screen almost exactly the same as the other device. Seeing that he could probably get it unlocked pretty easily Zach decided to wait till he landed to mess with it again. He put the thing in his shirt pocket so that he would remember it later and rested his head back against the seat of the comfy first class chair, leaning it back to make himself more comfortable.

(By the way if you haven't noticed, I haven't flown before, so I have no idea what the different sections of a plane are other than looking things up and movies, but Zach is in the luxurious part of the plane: the front in this plane, and the seats are able to lean backwards, so people can sleep more comfortably...also there is no one else there at the moment. I know its convenient but if you want to imagine people there just imagine everyone went to sleep a while ago)

A few more hours passed by, and Zach was now deep in sleep, but the device was still running. Then it stopped, and the screen went dark. A second later it lit up again, and there was alien text on the front for a moment before showing a ball of light and turning dark again.

--(translated)--
External Target Acquired, Verifying Target...Verified.

Device 333, setting b0^^3 activated...

...Terminating...

The device started to count down, a circle of red light pulsing with every count and then it stopped counting, and suddenly exploded. The explosion was silent, just a sphere of energy that slowly spread through the entirety of the plane, past the front of the plane by at least ten feet, and going just past the front section of the wings. Time seemed to slow down in the sphere, effecting the entirety of the craft and everything happened all at once.

The bubble of energy collapsed, an explosion so strong that it caused the very air to shudder and rush to the effected area, re-filling a vacuum of space that disintegrated the front half of the plane. The wings of the plane continued forwards at a steady pace despite no longer being attached to anything and a secondary explosion happened as the vacuumed area filled, the secondary shockwave flattened the back half of the plane. Causing it to fall towards the ground, a wrangled mess of metal and bloody mist.

Amidst the chaos there was a subtle flash of light; Something that couldn't have been seen after the first explosion lit up the area so brightly, a light that could've been seen as an electrical interference or radio-waves messing with the footage, but it was there, and then it was gone...

-----------------------------

1st POV

I don't understand, one moment I'm closing my eyes in the fancy chair of a plane, and the next moment I'm opening my eyes to a sightless void...What happened to me? Why do I feel like I'm floating? Where am I?

I had so many questions going through my head as I looked around, unsure of how I was even doing that as it felt like I had no physical body. Then I saw a lone stand with an unknown light shining down on it in the distance. How do I move? Do I just think about going over th---

Suddenly I was in-front of the stand and I see that it was a tablet, a modern one that looked like one of those kiosks some fundraiser was advertising in a mall. When I went to touch it, it suddenly turned on and I don't know how but I went ten feet up.

Welcome to the Void, Yeah I know it's very spacious, sorry to let you know this, but you're dead.

Wait. What?

Now before you go around trying to destroy things and all of that, there are some things that you should consider before you accidentally get yourself stuck here for eternity

First choose what you want to happen to you now that you're dead

1. Move on to Heaven/Hell

2. Reincarnate (minor requirement)

3. -----

I choose the second one. I didn't feel like I had much to value in my earlier life, and I've always wanted a different one. It felt like nothing I did had mattered before...my parents had died when I was young, too young to remember much about them, and then my grandparents left me alone...sure it was along with a huge sum of money that they'd left behind in my name, but still. No matter the heights I had to go to meet this requirement I knew that I could deal with whatever they threw at me.

Excellent, you seem like a smart one, after all you didn't choose to destroy this panel before or after reading everything. Which would eventually have left you to slowly fade away in the endless void like many, many others before you have already done...

Now for the requirement: All that's needed move on is a short quiz.

A quiz? Really?

Choose the things that best represent you. The dimension, planet, race, and gender of your next life will be chosen according to you're answers, but choose carefully as this defines everything you get in the next life.

The screen faded and a set of four choices came up:

I've always wanted to be Invisible to others around me
I've always wanted to be noticed by others
I've wanted to be recognized for things I've done
I don't know what I wanted

I looked mainly at the first and last statements, and then I made up my mind and chose the first one. The screen faded and switched to another thing.

What would you say your spirit animal is?

Dragon
Phoenix
Magic Animal
I don't know

I didn't even need to think about this one really: The second one seemed like it would've been cool but I don't want to be noticed by others, same goes for the third option, but I also don't think that I would want to be alone all the time, and while both Magic Creatures and Phoenix's are cool, Dragons are better.

I want to be mainly alone in my next life
I want a few companions in my next life
I want no equal in my next life
I want to be in a normal family in my next life

This one was between the top two or the bottom one, and while I did want a family again, I also wanted free to wander around this new world without restriction and I felt like family could've been seen as a restriction, but I also didn't really have one in my previous life... I chose the second option because it probably would've hurt to change things up a little. Then the podium and the light disappeared and I was cast into darkness once again.

--------------------------

I wasn't sure how long it'd been but I could hear something now; It sounded distorted, distant, and I didn't know what was going on. I was pressed inside of something and it was giving me a feeling of claustrophobia. I immediately wanted out of it, to tear my way out and free myself, and tear it did. The cramped space that I was in was suddenly exploded from around me and then fragments of what looked like an egg shell appeared out of thin air...slowly becoming visible from the center out. A deep black color rose from the bottom where I was standing to the cracked top sections scattered throughout. I looked down and saw that I was standing in something slimy, it made me jump out with a strange yelp and stare as the stuff suddenly dried up and turned to dust...along with the rest of the egg it seemed.

It was still invisible in some parts but from what I could see as it turned to dust was that it had been about a foot across and maybe two tall? The coloring was strange too, the bottom of the egg had been a dark and dead looking black, and the part that was becoming visible flickered like an array of brilliant colors dying off slowly, colors like that of a rainbow starting at the bottom left corner of egg and rippling all around it in different colors...until nothing was left.

I couldn't see my own body, but when I think that I touched it the egg collapsed in on itself with a puff of black dust that covered me entirely letting me see a rough outline of my body for just a moment before I sneezed and it all shook itself free.

{New Title's and Skill Obtained}
{(Titles: (Observational) and (Destroyer) Obtained)}
{(Skill: <Death's Strike> Obtained)}

I jumped at the robotic voice in my head, and looked around for someone talking, but no one was there, and after a moment I realized that this must be some kind of game or status inclusive world where leveling up, and magic, was possible but it had the drawback of this voice announcing itself in your mind...Whether it was a normal thing or for only those with exceptional talent I did not know.

Now not only am I going insane but I actually have a voice in my head that talks to me when I don't want it to...great. That was something I was hoping to avoid. I looked around trying to make sense of where I was...What I was. I obviously wasn't human anymore, as by the invisibility and the temporary relevance of a snout and claws, and I probably didn't have a human form or anything like that, or at least not yet, so what was I? But first where was I? There had to be a way out or something.

I checked the area best I could but all I saw was the ashy remains of the egg that I had came out of, and I figured that I was roughly a foot tall at the shoulder joint -- from when the ash on me -- but I didn't know how long I was. I was going to have to get a feel for that as I explored...I didn't even know how long my face...my snout was. What color were my eyes now? How long was my body? What did I look like? I couldn't see anything not talon now nor my teeth, and guessing from my current size I was probably either a juvenile dragon that was some how invisible.

I looked around to see that I was in a cave, and while it didn't look as dark thanks to my new eyes--being able to see through the dark and all--I could sort of see the cave walls and my surroundings up to maybe a hundred feet away. If I had a source of light I would probably be able to see much farther.

I started to walk around aimlessly, not caring about the fact that I suddenly knew everything there is about moving this body. Frankly I didn't want to stop to think about it either, for fear that my body would decide to just shut down and make me have to learn the hard way.

I walked around in this cave for what seemed like hours but when I looked back I could still see the egg dust in the distance, but there was a mountain of gold and treasure in a room next to the area I hatched from. I didn't know why my egg was near all of that, or why the hole to get out was so damn small...maybe I was supposed to have an urgent desire to defend it or something, but I would come back to it later...as soon as I figured out how to store it--

{New Skill Gained: Void-storage (Lv. --)}
{(Storage capacity: Infinite (no weight limit)}
-{To store something just touch it and think about where you want it to go and it'll be transported there, in the void, ready for one to call upon it whenever needed. But beware, upon death, every item gathered in storage gets ejected forcefully}

That's helpful, for once I actually didn't care about the voice saying things in my head randomly, as it was helping me this time. I turned around and headed back towards the mountain of jewels and gold. Wait if it's a mountain of valuable items, and things 'forcefully eject upon death' did something die here and leave this all behind? Was it recent? No, it was pointless to think about it any further but I hoped they weren't the one that birthed my egg, as cruel as that sounds, because that would be really sad and it would also mean that I wouldn't have a family in their world either.

I didn't want to think about that possibility.

Once I got to it --which took a while being so small and it being in the middle of a huge cavern -- I pressed my...paw? Yeah, my paw, into the pile and thought about it all going into a beautiful locked chest with gold lining on the top, jewels encrusted throughout the bordering, and a cartoon pirate theme of cutlass swords crossed on the eye of the chest. I opened my eyes to see that everything was gone, all of the jewels and coins were gone. It surprised me enough that I jumped back with a yelp.

I blinked a couple times looking at the empty space. I didn't think that it would work honestly, but next time I want to see what happens to everything...next time I'll be sure to watch it happen. Since now I have a place for valuables and a new goal was set towards me seeing the true process of what happened to everything when it went into my storage void set. I turned to the next problem...getting out of this cave.

I wandered around wondering how in the world was I going to be able to spend any of my treasures -- assuming I even wanted to when it came down to it -- when I was a creature, not a human or human-like creature I assumed lived in this world. I was a monster now, a quadrupedal creature that couldn't even see what they looked like, much less what others thought of them. I definitely wasn't human anymore, not physically at least, maybe my mind would be changing too, but for now I hadn't noticed anything too far from my norm...Now onto the next thing: searching for something to eat. By the Moon was I hungry.

14