Chapter 3 – Mistakes
258 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As soon as I activated it, Ugly 1 - AKA Damien - immediately awoke. I was forced to pounce on his chest to hold down both arms and keep his head still as some blue wisp like energy started to emerge from it. After a few minutes of shuffling, to which the cat-lady didn't wake up from thankfully, his movement stilled and the human started to grow weaker and weaker beneath my claws. It was probably because of the black and purple marks originating from the injuries and the corrupted veins spreading up his arms, and I was thankful I did this when he was so exhausted and worn out from fighting Ugly 2. 

I don't think that would have worked otherwise...

Finally he stilled and the light blue wisp of energy flowed from his mouth. Coming out as a large ball with what looked like a white nucleus in the center. It flowed from him and into my mouth and as soon as mine own closed the skill ended and the system interrupted my moment of bliss. 

(Experience Gained)
(Personal Level Increased)X13
(Personal Level: 25/25) 
(Max level hit: Accessing Evolutions)
(Evolution Available)
(Skill Levels Increased: Toxic Slash (Lv. 4), Hindrance (Lv. 3), Stealth (Lv. 5), Steal (Lv. 3), Soul Devour (Lv. 3), Reap (Lv. 2))
Titles (Merciless) and (Reaper of Souls) gained
(Free Points: 300)
(Extra (Soul) Points: 36) 

I looked at the bodies of the warriors and then I looked at the sleeping cat-woman and thought about whether or not I should scratch her too to make it seem like she was attacked as well. Then realized that I probably shouldn't cut her with my claws because that would get her poisoned, and I didn't want to risk killing her. Then again she did have the healing aspect in her skills...no, I should probably just let her sleep in peace. Its probably the only decent rest she's got in a while. 

I decided to take that moment to look at my evolution choices...oh, there was only one:

(Young) Invisible Reaper Dragon -- A Legendary type of Dragon never seen before since the beginning of time. It's scales are passively imperceptible, in every sense of the word. Even Masters in the arts of Stealth and Perception would have a hard time noticing their approach, and some may not be able to react until it is too late. 
(Warning: While having no breath attack, they are capable of killing with but a touch. A single scratch and what or whoever is afflicted better say their prayers...and their goodbyes)

I accepted the evolution and noticed the increase in power and growth instantly; however, a wave of exhaustion rippled throughout my awareness, but just as quickly as it had come, it was chased away unexpectedly. Leaving me fully energized and ready to go again. I walked over the dead body of Ugly number one and passed him on my way to a corner. I closed my eyes to try and sleep, but after waiting for a few agonizingly long minutes just staring at the rock, nothing happened.

Dammit. What was I going to do now until the cat-lady woke up? 

-----------------

I decided to test how sharp different parts of my body were on walls, rocks, and the left-over sticks I had until a girlish scream shook my inquisitive mood right out of me. I looked over seeing that the cat-lady had woken up and was standing in the middle of the two dead warriors. She was currently hyperventilating, looking at both in horror and then around the rest of the room, probably thinking something else was there. Which there was...me. 

I inwardly sighed and stood up. Stretching out my limbs and spreading my wings to loosen them up after what was probably a while of just scratching and biting random things: mostly rocks and sticks to judge the damage. I waited for her to regain her bearings and assess the situation that she was in, probably going to wonder why all the bags were ripped up; sticks and rocks strewn all over in a mess and scratches along the walls...She probably thought she was going insane or something. 

I really kind of wished I could hear her thoughts for that very reason. It would make communicating with her so much easier if I could hear her thoughts.

...No? You aren't going to give me something for that voice... 

...you suck.

I crawled up the rock that I had sat on before murdering ugly's one and two, watching as she looked at the bodies once again this time out of curiosity. Stepping towards the 'stronger' one and stopping, poking the man with a foot. Maybe she thought that they were faking it just so that they could see what she'd do if they were actually dead? 

Then again, I didn't think they would've been smart enough to even think about doing that from what I noticed about their behavior from before...but sure, you do you. I don't care what happens to their corpses now, do whatever you wanted to them for all I cared: kick them around, scream at them, loot their bodies to your heart's desire, or just mutilate them beyond recognition. As long as it helps calm you down before I try to say hello I'm all for it.

Though, speaking of that, how was I supposed to say hello anyways? The voice wasn't being helpful in the slightest and it was starting to really tick me off...

I saw her watch the dead bodies of John and Damien for a good ten minutes, then she walked over to Damien's body and started to loot it, forcing him this way and that while she gathered things and put them aside. 

She pulled out a couple knives, and took off the belt, sheathed sword and put it aside, she didn't seem like the type to want a sword, she seemed more like an archer or rouge maybe. She went into the second bag they had and pulled out a ring of sorts that she'd had to cut open the side of the string part to get. 

I watched as she slipped it on her finger and then several more things materialized before her: armor black as night, more knives -- of which she sheathed in slots on the earlier belt -- and then she pulled out equally dark boots and walked over to John's corpse and took his sword too. She seemed a thousand times more confident now that she had more weapons and armor. Or maybe it was just her acting before in general that was so deceptive? 

Yeah. It was probably that.

A long silver bow materialized in her right hand and a quiver blended in with her chest-piece, with arrows glowing with a strange silver light stuffed inside. A cloak appeared on her after everything else was put away -- as in disappearing when she touched it -- and she looked around for a moment. She stalked over to the first bag and opened it, huffing in disgust and tossing it aside. Ah, that was probably the former meat bag they just stuffed things in. She took something out from under her clothes at her waist and crushed it under foot, looking around the cave again with narrowed eyes. I tilted my head at this new behavior and then decided to check her status again.

Name: Redline
Species: Beast-Kin (Feline)
Condition: Hungry
(Class B-)
Estimated Rank: A-
Job: Assassin 
Personal Level: 67/100.
Health (Increasing): 2552+/3600
Constitution: 240
Strength: 480

Magic: 300
Dexterity: 260
Mana: 3000/3000
Stamina: 6500/6500

Skills: Major Flame (Lv. 22), Heal ( Lv. 45), Stealth (Lv. 37), Decapitation (Lv. 70), Endurance Boost (Lv. 42), Strength Boost (Lv. 48).

Special Skills: Beast-like Eyesight (Passive), Enhanced Senses (Passive), Never-miss Arrows (Lv. 34), Light Aura (Lv. 26), Light Arrows (Lv. 27), Streak (Lv. 43), Rage (Lv. 49)

Resistances: Hunger Resistance (Lv. 78), Sleep Resistance (Lv. 77), Pain Tolerance (Lv. 4), Poison Resistance (Lv. 65), Counter Descent (Lv. 17), Physical Resistance (Lv. 57), Fire Resistance (Lv. 48), Fear Resistance (Lv. 68), Anger Resistance (Lv. 70)

Titles: Prodigy, Ghost of the Shadows, Student of ?????, God Blessed.

Wait, what?! She was an assassin this entire time? And I just stole her kills...

Crap. 

...I wondered if this (Beast-like eyesight) would still see me if I were to use (Stealth) and run off. Otherwise she might try to kill me.

...But I still wanted to give her the meat I had. Surely she was still hungry. I'd checked it too and my claws hadn't poisoned the meat at all! 

At least not that I could tell. 

I tapped a claw of indecision on the rock and her eyes snapped to my area. She pulled our her bow and pointed it at me, and I realized that I was now eye to eye with her in height. She was really, really good at making herself look small and helpless, wow. Granted I was on a rock probably close to the size of a common dinner table. 

"I know that you're there." She warned, "I want you to come out slowly with your hands up, your invisibility disabled, and your weapons on the ground. Or I'll put an arrow through your heart."

Well it was now or never...hopefully I didn't die again. 

I took out the meat and started towards her slowly making sure to dig my claws into the ground with the meat on the top of my head. Sure it felt horrible, and probably looked strange seeing a floating steak, as to how her expression changed slightly, but I continued forwards. 

"I said to drop your invisibility and put your weapons on the ground! All of them or I shoot you." She growled pulling the bowstring further, like that was any scarier than just pointing that at me in general, it's not like pulling the string back would make the shot more effective anyways if it hit me...I had no idea whether it would pierce my scales or not. 

I looked down; I already had most of my weapons on the ground. Did she want me to put my face on the ground too then? I mean, that counted as a weapon too in my mind.

I just stood there thinking and she sighed and shook her head. I'm pretty impressed she could hold an arrow back for that long without lessening the draw even a little on a bow like that...it didn't look light at all, being made of metal and all...

"I warned you." She said and let go of the arrow. I watched it fly through the air, seemingly in slow-motion, hitting my chest plates and promptly snapping in half, the tip sparking as it dragged across my scales. 

I looked back at her, seeing that she was about to walk off when she saw the sparks, and suddenly there were five more sparks and twelve broken arrow pieces at my feet. I looked at them in awe. I guess normal weapons didn't quite do the trick with my scaly body and all.  Suddenly she drew her bow again, but there wasn't a normal arrow in it. Instead three golden arrows formed in the bow between her fingers, and I did the normal thing anyone else would do in this situation.

I dropped to the ground and covered my face. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Redline didn't understand what was going on this mission. It was supposed to be a clear cut, decisive decision that not only would've gotten her a huge bonus, but it also was a chance to prove to him that she didn't need to be coddled and watched over constantly. 

Though she did take this job without him knowing so there was that...

Redline watched as her golden arrows flew through the air harmlessly, hitting the wall of the cave and digging into it a half meter. Nothing was there? That didn't make sense, those broken arrow pieces were still there, right in front of her and in pieces after hitting some sort of wall. But it seemed there was something else there now. 

And what was that squeaking noise? She'd heard it right before firing but had no idea what it could've been. 

Redline looked around at the rocks for a moment before looking back down at the broken arrows again when something caught her attention. There was the half of the steak those punks had stolen from her after she'd nabbed it off of a vendor just before coming here, it was just floating in the air a few hands off the ground...she stepped forwards and studied the area for a moment thinking about whether she should take it or not. But her hunger won and barely inspecting the meat, she scarfed it down greedily. 

Though she swore that she felt something scaly for a moment there...

Redline looked at the spot for a moment before tossing a knife halfheartedly at it. Nothing; The knife hit the floor ringing the chime of metal hitting stone and that's when she decided to leave. She was done with today. She just wanted to get back home and sit at a bar with a hot cup of milk for a good few hours before being scolded. She turned on her heel and started down the path, and then she remembered that her two targets were still nearby, mysteriously dead. She sighed and turned on her heel, heading back over to do a little investigating. 

She didn't really have a proper look when she was getting her things after all, so now was probably the best time to figure out what they died from and how. Red knelt beside Damien's corpse and immediately noticed the dark lines spreading up his arms, venom. He'd been attacked by something and killed by it most likely, it was their fault for working each other up so much and passing out. 

Though that didn't mean she still wasn't pissed at the fact her kills had gotten stolen from right under her nose...there were even signs of a struggle with the guy too! A boot had come half-way off and both of his fingernails were filed down irregularly. And from their position against the stone and how the arms looked cut and restrained the creature had held him down and sucked out his soul...probably. It was that or they waited till the venom took effect, but if that was the case they why hadn't it started eating the body? 

Redline hadn't seen very many soul-stolen victims but the pale white of his skin, the horror on his face, and the repressed struggle certainly pointed to something along that direction. The only outlier was whether the venom killed him or whether his soul was taken first--either way there wasn't anything she could do other than getting out a basic kit and taking some blood for Sleeper to analyze when she got back to the guild. She was hoping to be bringing back more than just a vial of tainted blood but she would take whatever she could after this disaster. 

Red turned away from the first corpse and went over to the second one, this guy was really something else. He was always cutting things with whatever sharp object he had when he thought no one was looking, and even though she wanted to be the one to do it she was glad that this psychopath was dead. He had four thin, uneven cuts going along the length of his neck. 

It seemed that he had also struggled but succumbed to whatever it was before getting the chance to make a sound, and seeing that his throat was cut he probably wouldn't have been able to cry out anyways. Each of the lines were crude and messy...what claw marks would look like, but they were also deliberate although inexperienced. Either too deep or too shallow: uneven.

She decided to take samples of the effected areas in different vials, with a 2 label on the top and put them in her storage when she was done. Redline looked at her ring with gratitude, she'd gotten it just before her first mission, and while that too had been a disaster--with it being stolen and her captured--she'd gotten it back and made all of those scumbags pay for daring even touch it. Her attention was torn from the ring when she heard a light scraping sound near-by, but her senses weren't telling her of anything near-by not that something was attacking her, but she retrieved two knives and held them at the ready just in case, until she'd gotten out of the cavern. 

Pops was going to be so mad at her when she returned... 

I know that I use "..." way too much, but I don't know which would be better to use ("...", "--", etc.) in terms of thinking for characters and super long descriptive sentences. I've said this on Wattpad and I'll say it here too: Please let me know what else I could use and things that would make everything flow better. 

12