Chapter 31: The Clash
221 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It didn’t take long before the battlefield turned chaotic. The soldiers on Jay’s side worked in small groups of 3, using their mobility to bait out the enemies. Attacking before going just out of reach of the enemies on all sides. This way it didn’t take long for some of the enemy Iceborne to get impatient. From there it wasn’t hard to lure them out further and fight.

 

This fight was an odd one. The combined army all had F grade weapons, but only the blue-furs and a select few others (such as Jay and Geralt) had good armor. Meanwhile, the enemies had F grade armor but only the dark blue ones had graded weapons.

 

Hence even if the Iceborne got separated from their groups they were hard to kill and the combined forces had to be careful not to get hit themselves.

 

Soon the Iceborne who remained in formation actually became the weakness of their army. Most of the battlefield had turned into a brawl with troops of both sides engaged everywhere. The only exception was the formation which moved towards small groups of humans. But when they got close these groups simply retreated, hence all the formation did was keep some of their troops out of the actual battle.

 

Thus, in the actual battlefield, the combined troops ended up outnumbering the Iceborne army. Satisfied with his army Jay started heading to the army on the right while Geralt moved to the middle one, they were to take out their leaders.

 

After a minute of searching, he spotted the squad leader. It was a 2.2-meter tall Iceborne with dark blue fur. He had a soft-looking face with a scar on his neck. The Iceborne had a steel sword that looked like it was around F+ grade. Furthermore, the armor he was wearing was different than those of the blue-furs in his camp. It also seemed to be made from the scales of a sea-creature but these scales were part-red and part-black. It gave off a special glimmer which made Jay think it was E or E+grade.

 

The squad leader wasn’t an idiot and started realizing what was going on. But well in a battle like this it was rather hard communicating wit your troops. Hence, he went out by himself and started heading towards some of his enemies. Jay walked across the battlefield similarly to how he did back with the goblins. The fact that he walked so casually made the Iceborne ignore him subconsciously but the squad was the exception.

 

Since he had yet to engage the squad leader obviously noticed him immediately. And Jay, realizing he had been spotted took his scimitar in his right hand and had an icy pike appear above his right hand. The squad leader who was previously just looking at him got enraged at the sight of magic, it seemed they truly hated it. And when he started running at Jay he shot out the icy pike.

 

The squad leader didn’t even bother to dodge the pike and allowed it to land on his chestpiece. And as expected the pike was barely even able to dent the armor a bit. This didn't worry Jay too much. He had a C+ grade scimitar with Sharpen 3 on it. Even if the enemy wore D+ grade armor his sword would slice through it easily.

 

The problem that he had was that his evasive maneuvers were heavily limited due to his wounds. If it wasn't for that he wouldn't be too worried about this fight.

 

When they were about 2 meters apart the squad leader halted and they started slowly circling around each other. The squad leader had cooled off instantly when he felt something strange was going on with his opponent's sword.

 

The battle around them raged on, and the ice below them had changed color. The ice was now covered in a layer of red blood causing fighters to slip and fall every second.

 

The other squad leader was being heavily suppressed by Geralt, whose spear had already poked him several times. The main battlefield was also in their favor, the combined army had killed a bunch of the Iceborne army's soldiers. Donning their armor after victory.

 

Even though the Iceborne army had now given up on the formation, it was already too late. Many of the combined army's men were now wearing graded armor, with the 20 blue-furs being especially effective.

 

Thanks to this, Jay didn't even have to fight this enemy of his. While the squad leader was hesitant due to Jay’s scimitar a few blue-furs had arrived and were now suppressing the squad leader.

 

The blue-furs didn’t even try to go for the neck and such. They went for simply strong strikes that were easy to predict. But well, since the squad-leader could predict the attacks he could also easily dodged them, and with his strong battle-instinct, he could hardly ignore the enemy’s strikes. Hence he got pushed back more and more until, at some point, an icy pike shot through the back of his neck.

 

Even if it wasn’t easy in his current condition, Jay managed to properly curve and aim the pike, killing the squad leader instantly.

 

Soon, Geralt had also finished off his enemy. By this point, the third group had also arrived, the third squad leader immediately headed for Geralt but Jay knew he probably wouldn’t be much of a threat.

 

It was now that Jay decided to look back at the hill where the trebuchet was standing, he was worried that when they won, they would get a lot of fatalities because of it.

 

Luckily, it seemed the group of blue-furs he had sent there had finished their mission successfully, the trebuchet had been destroyed.

 

But when he looked more closely, he immediately became worried, the 10 blue-furs were engaging the red Iceborne. But well, they weren’t doing so well. When the red commander struck his sword an Iceborne would fall to the ground with a massive gash in their armor, and soon they had all died.

 

Jay quickly called for the Blue-furs he had with him. Since the enemies saw the situation was hopeless, they started surrendering by the heaps. Geralt was suppressing his enemy heavily so Jay and his blue-furs headed for the hill.

 

"Useless trash"

 

The Red commander looked at the battlefield seeing how nearly all his troops had been defeated. He wasn't only mad at his troops but also at himself, he let some enemy troops destroy their trebuchet while he was observing the battlefield.

 

The man scoffed when he saw the figures heading towards him.

 

"If the Lord dies, the mission can be considered a success."

 

He spoke slowly and arrogantly. His armor was completely made out of bright red scales, giving off a brilliant feeling. His fur was dripping with the blood of the enemies he had just killed earlier. And he gave off the aura of a first-tier expert.

 

He slowly lowered his body before jumping forward, heading straight towards Jay and his troops.

5