Chapter 40: Skeletons
202 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The skeletons were nothing short from terrifying. With slices of skin hanging over the bones and two black holes where their eyes should be.

 

Furthermore, Jay could faintly feel a Tier 1 aura coming from them which was nothing to scoff at at this point.

 

In total, about a dozen skeletons appeared before him. Each of the skeletons held a weapon that was mostly destroyed, it was clear that these weren't a threat, as long as they didn't hit him in places his armor didn't reach they wouldn’t penetrate.

 

The biggest threat to him was the scepter held by one of the skeletons, whenever he looked at it he felt an extreme amount of pressure. And he felt as if the skeleton holding it would also be very hard to beat.

 

Right now Jay’s mind was all over the place. He actually wasn’t too scared of losing since even if he did, as long as this room followed the rules of the previous ones, he wouldn’t be killed. He was more interested in the scepter and how these skeletons came to life.

 

After 5 years of surviving, he learned that everything in this world acted by some sort of rule. Nothing happened ‘just because’ everything had a reason. It was just that for some things such as the events he hadn’t found the reason yet.

 

Since this dungeon had things such as magical barriers and necromancy there had to be something powering all of this.

 

While thinking about this, Jay cast his first spell.

 

The ground next to the skeleton closest to him seemed to turn liquid, until suddenly a spike came out of it, a scene that Jay was quite familiar with at this point.

 

The spike was incredibly sharp, going straight through its ribcage. Something that didn't do much. Some of the skeleton's bones broke but it didn't really react. It just backed off to unstuck itself from the spell before it started rushing towards him, followed by the other skeletons.

 

Fighting these skeletons wasn't as exhilarating as other battles, they didn't have any facial expressions and just kept attacking with the same couple of moves. The only annoyance was that he had to fully dismember them so that they would be unable to move any further.

 

Their weapons were all trash as well, perhaps if he came to this place 100 years earlier it would have been different.

 

Just as Jay was breezing through this challenge something changed.

 

The skeleton holding the golden scepter walked forward, pointing the item at him. This immediately alerted Jay, the last weapon that came from this place was a staff able to manipulate time, he wouldn't underestimate this item.

 

Jay immediately jumped back sending a small fireball straight at the skeleton.

 

Yet, it didn't help him. The skeletons he was fighting earlier faded, dissapearing completely. Moreover, the sounds they made also disappeared.

 

It only took Jay a second to find out he wasn't in an illusion, it seemed that the skeletons had suddenly teleported. He wasn't a stupid man, hence he wouldn't assume the threat had just disappeared.

 

The barriers were still blocking the exits and his intuition told him something was off.

 

He immediately jumped back, until he reached the wall. Seeing how the situation was a tough one he decided to take a gamble.

 

If the skeletons were just invisible they would surely come straight for him. This meant that if he attacked straight forwards he should be able to hit one.

 

A small ball appeared between his hands as the air was sucked into it more and more. Initially, he had found this spell too dangerous to use indoors, but now that he felt threatened by the invisible foes he figured it was worth a shot.

 

If he was wrong and the skeletons weren't there the spell would only explode after reaching the other side anyways.

 

Thus, due to how big this cavern was, the risk was relatively small.

 

The little ball started flying forwards slowly, if it was facing a human it wouldn’t pose a threat whatsoever as their instinct would warn them of the danger.

 

Yet, as unintelligent undead it didn’t seem like the skeletons had an instinct, the small orb had only moved forward 3 meters before a silent explosion could be seen. Bones flew everywhere as a skeleton got eradicated. Furthermore, it seemed like Jay’s luck was pretty good. The skeleton he hit was holding the golden scepter which now dropped to the floor harmlessly.

 

Before it even hit the ground all the other skeletons also appeared as if out of thin air and they all turned to the scepter that laid on the ground.

 

Luckily Jay was faster, since it took the skeletons a few seconds before they headed for the scepter, Jay reached first. Once Jay finally got his hand on the golden item, the skeletons immediately started disintegrating. leaving behind nothing more than a pile of dust and a useless weapon.

 

Confused by the anticlimactic ending to the fight Jay walked over to the scepter appraising it.

 

| Name: King's scepter

Quality: N/A

Specialties: King's item (Politics +25 when carrying this item), Sign of Power (People are guaranteed to take you seriously when wielding this item), Eventful (+20% score in events)

 

Skills: Hidden (Hides up to 20 people for 30 minutes, wears off immediately when wielder takes damage, current charges 1, gains 1 charge every 2 months)

 

Description: An ancient scepter once wielded by a great king. Even if it had degraded over time it is not an item to be underestimated. |

 

Jay couldn't help but let out a cold breath when reading the information on this item. Its main use was obviously in politics, giving him a huge advantage. The 'Sign of Power' specialty might allow him to trade with the main city easily. And as for its quality not being available this was rather normal. This was something that often happened with items that would fall under the miscellaneous category. 

 

| Congratulations user on completing ****** final challenge |

| Reward: 10 magic crystals, 1000 gold, magic tower blueprint |

 

"Ah?"

 

Finding out this was the final challenge was a bit of a surprise since there was still a tunnel going deeper. Getting the magic tower blueprint was even better. He had seen the incredible effect his magic tower brought him. If he could make one in each of his major cities, he would surely be able to train a numerous amount of mages.

 

After getting his rewards he was really happy with them. The only thing he found a bit odd was how this scepter didn't have anything to do with the misty orbs.

 

Could it be the misty orbs were just some sort of rare magical object that his enemy used?

 

Unsure, he moved through the next corridor, he wasn't sure what he would find but he hoped it wouldn't be death.

5