Chapter 50: A Great Army!
174 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Jay got this bit of information he didn’t feel nervous at all, instead, he got really excited. And in only a few moments he already knew how to handle the situation.

 

This time, he knew he couldn’t take his entire military force. It was always possible for other human Lords to make a move against him now so he decided to take a total of 300 warriors. He also took the 2 giants from before and a third one he had just bought.

 

Since they had 2 days before the enemy would get close he even ended up taking half a dozen golems. By now they had over a dozen golems in total, an amount that satisfied him greatly.

 

Nothing happened when they headed to Icy City, the golems obviously slowed them down a bit but it wasn't too big a problem.

 

Soon, Icy City could be seen on the horizon. It had obviously expanded into a proper fortress. A half-built Icy castle could be seen on top of the hill. It could be clearly seen that it wasn't being built with a blueprint since people were actively cutting and placing the blocks of ice.

 

At this point each of the walls had been finished too. The outer wall, in particular, was a sight to behold, surrounding the entire hill.

 

At this point, the people in Icy City were 70% Iceborne with the rest being humans.

 

When he entered the city Geralt welcomed them with a smile, bowing down to his Lord.

 

"My Lord, all the defenses have been prepared, we have built multiple catapults to make sure that this time around the trebuchet won't be able to bother us for long. We also found a horse-like creature in the icelands and managed to domesticate it."

 

Jay nodded as Geralt showed him around properly letting him know of everything he had done. The domesticated animals he talked about looked more like large pigs than anything else. It had a snout but was surprisingly fast, they had managed to get 10 of these at this point.

 

As for the catapults, Geralt had finished the construction of 5 of them, 2 of which he hid in some caves to the north, something that greatly pleased Jay.

 

Geralt had even managed to have one of the Iceborne infiltrate the army giving a bunch of valuable intel.

 

The enemy army had 300 men and 2 Generals. Both of these Generals were Tier 1. Additionally, they had 5 trebuchets. They had probably heard of its effectiveness from the bloody General.

 

Jay was obviously extremely happy with Geralt. He had done way more than he had expected. He had not only reached Tier 1, but he also infiltrated the incoming army, gained valuable intel and prepared sufficient defenses for the town.

 

Jay would've given him a great number of gold pieces if he had some, instead, he gave him the armor he had recently gained in the ruins which was a grade higher than what he was wearing right now. He also decided he would give Geralt any good cultivation technique he came across, in his eyes, Geralt had a way higher potential compared to general Green.

 

After hearing the numbers Jay got less worried, they not only outnumbered them in troops but also had an additional Tier 1. And then they also had bodyguard Gustel who could be considered a pseudo-Tier 1.

 

All in all, they had prepared well, the spy had guaranteed he could take out at least 1 trebuchet while they had to take out the rest themselves.

 

After hesitating for a bit, Jay went out on his own, heading for the enemy army. A few hours had passed before Jay arrived at a hill, when he stood atop it he could see the enemy army marching below him. And as expected, there were 5 trebuchets trailing just behind the army.

 

They weren’t only moving slowly but also across a relatively flat area, making them a somewhat easy target for Jay.

 

Shortly after this a small ball of air appeared between Jay's 2 hands, slowly becoming more and more dense.

 

This was a very strong Tier 1 spell, its weakness was in how slow it moved, the enemies were 200 meters away from him so when he shot it off it would take nearly 10 minutes before it would reach.

 

Luckily the enemy army was decently well-disciplined moving at an extremely steady pace. In the course of 2 minutes, 2 shots were shot off.

 

One of them was shot towards where the trebuchets would reach in 10 minutes and the other at where the army would be.

 

At this point, Jay just waited. It was, of course, possible that the group would suddenly stop at some point, rendering the attack useless.

 

But it seemed that his luck was quite good today. Not long after firing the spells off he lost track of them, a few minutes later a silent explosion happened right on top of one of the trebuchets. One of them just suddenly seemed to explode, causing splinters to go everywhere, it even looked like the trebuchet next to it was also disabled as a big hole had appeared in its side.

 

The splinters also hurt a multitude of Iceborne, even if nobody died thanks to their armor, some were still hurt quite badly.

 

A minute passed when the second silent explosion happened. Right in the middle of the army, a dozen people were blown away. The army of Iceborne seemed terrified, none of them had seen the spell so they had no idea what was going on, it was as if explosions just came out of thin air.

 

Jay was obviously satisfied by the attack, he had somewhat suspected the army to feel the threat of the spell and dodge before it could hit but since they had their attention on the trebuchets it managed to hit properly. For now, he decided to head back since he didn’t have much mana left.

 

In an army of 300, 12 deaths weren't much. Their morale was the real target, as were the trebuchets.

 

He wanted to make sure this army would disappear in thin air, with no escapees. Then they could attack the capital.

 

In order to do this, they had to make sure they could block off their retreat.

 

The best way to do this was to make the enemy come too close. If the enemies walked right up to the gate, it wouldn't be hard to surround them.

 

He did notice earlier they had about 50 cavalry, these had to be dealt with first. If he managed to take out the army, he would easily be able to have a spy infiltrate the capital. He had already learned earlier how the Iceborne communicated in times of war.

 

The commander would send 2 Iceborne holding their personal seal.

 

This way they could easily be identified and the result of the battle could be brought directly to their Lord.

 

Jay smiled when he started putting together his plan. His army of 300 was soon divided into many groups, hiding out in small caves and crevices up to 5 miles north of Icy City.

 

Once Jay gave the signal they would all come out and attack the enemy in the back.

 

After some consideration, he did decide to leave bodyguard Gustel in Icy City. This way the commanders wouldn't be able to easily beat them.

 

As for the trebuchets, they weren't a problem. Jay had already taken 2 out while their spy would take out a third. Then they could easily use their catapults and the magical ballista they had rebuilt.

 

And soon it was time, an army arrived when the sun rose into the sky, it was time to fight.

6