Chapter 64: Impossible Odds
126 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When he looked up at the red sun, Jay smiled softly. He had never expected things to turn out this way. Against hundreds of thousands of creatures, what could they truly do?

Standing on top of the wall together with his men Jay thought of everything that happened thus far. Perhaps the world had had enough of him, destroying the entire region with this event.

But soon, Jay dismissed this thought. Destroying an entire region because of a single person? There was no way such a thing would happen. Furthermore, he only had a couple of Tier 1 experts himself. He even met three Tier 1 experts in a different region so there was no way the World Will would see him as such a threat.

In that case, there must be some sort of way to survive this event. When he thought back to the event description he couldn’t help but frown. The creatures came from the cracks ceaselessly, how was it that the event stated they would follow the smell of humans? Were they blind? Unsure of what to think Jay opened the forums, checking on the region-wide situation.

The cracks had appeared in a dozen locations across the entire region. One of them even penetrated the wall of the Main City, allowing the creatures to start wreaking havoc immediately. Right now most of the new posts were made from panicking Lords who had the creatures heading for them.

Jay closed the forums once he noticed there was nothing useful for the time being and met up with Jake. Even after talking with him, he didn’t get any new ideas. Perhaps the creatures wouldn’t be able to smell them because they were up this high!

With this hopeful thought in mind, Jay continued looking at the oncoming wave of enemies. Jay looked at a settlement between himself and the horde, perhaps he could learn something from how the creatures attacked them!

But it wasn’t to be. The settlement was small, they had thin wooden walls and about 50 citizens. Their militia consisted of 30 people, none of whom had armor. When they saw the horde they immediately went to hide in their houses, hoping they wouldn’t come from them.

Jay saw most of the creatures simply ignoring the small settlement with a small group of about 2 dozen creatures tearing down the wall and entering, promptly slaughtering the situation.

Even though he could only see it from afar, the fact that most of the creatures simply ignored the small settlement made Jay even more nervous. It looked like they knew basic strategy. Even though the creatures spread out more the closer they got, Jay’s confidence still wasn’t high. In the situation, once the underground creatures started climbing, wind magic would be his greatest help.

With wind he could directly blow them off the mountain, killing them while using a limited amount of mana, but due to the red sun, this was no longer possible.

The creatures were only a couple of miles away at this point, but even after 2 hours had passed, more creatures kept coming out of the crack.

Thanks to their training the soldiers managed to calm themselves, preparing for the enemy. They had rocks near their feet and spears in their hands, ready to fight the creatures when they attacked.

Jay took in a deep breath, the creatures had now arrived at the foot of the mountain, furthermore, some of the creatures that were going in a different direction actually turned towards the mountain and started climbing up.

At first, they thought the first wave would consist of 100 enemies, but after a few minutes, it became clear this fight wouldn’t be in waves. A continuous stream of enemies headed for the mountain. Seeing it would be a war of attrition Jay got worried. He hadn’t expected such a situation.

Now that the monsters were at the foot of the mountain he had a better sight of them. Most of the creatures were black. They were walking not on legs but on pincers. Each of the monsters had 8 pincers along the bottom of the body. They didn’t have a head, eyes, ears, and a nose couldn’t be seen either. They all seemed to have an exoskeleton and their carapace was exceptionally hard.

The way they moved looked weird, but they were still extremely fast. It looked like their only method of attack would be the pincers they used to move as well as potentially the sticky liquid that covered their bodies.

The fact that they were lacking a face as well as nearly every other feature a living being should have made them exceptionally scary. Jay decided to call them betas for the time being.

Other than these black creatures there was another kind. About 1 percent of the enemies were red. They looked a lot like boars, with pure red skin and 2 long tusks that were shining silver.

They were extremely different compared to the black creatures and seemed to have been raised in a very different environment. Jay called these creatures alphas.

It didn’t take long for the first beta to have climbed the mountain. The men on the west wall were surprised when the expressionless creature suddenly appeared climbing up the wall rapidly. The soldier standing above it immediately dropped a boulder.

The boulder hit the beta straight on, causing it to lose its footing and fall down. But this beta had just fallen when 3 more appeared. When these were taken care of the number tripled once more.

Jay looked at the situation without interfering with the time being. There was something that worried him.

The betas that fell down didn’t die despite falling from an extreme height. They just got up and moved up once more, rejoining the attack instantly.

Before he had time to let his soldiers know, one of the betas managed to start climbing the wall. And as planned the soldier above him took out a spear and stabbed at it.

A metallic clang could be heard as the spear only managed to dent the carapace of the beta, stalling it for a second. After a whistle, 2 other soldiers joined in attacking it, and only with the three of them working together did they manage to breach through the exoskeleton to slay the first of the beasts.

How the hell were they supposed to slay thousands of these beasts?

5