Chapter 12 Primal Age
2.4k 12 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A beautiful drow came out of the side room and held a bundle of clothing in her hands. She was slightly bulkier than most of the male drow I've seen so far. She turned the corner, and I felt my heart drop. She had long flowing brown hair and pale blue eyes. Her face shared the same sleek bone structure as the rest of the drow that I have seen. As my eyes traveled down the length of her body, I felt a pang of sadness grow in my chest as I started to recognize my now ex-girlfriend Elana. I felt a tear start to slowly crawl down my face along with an influx of emotions that were hidden behind the shock and excitement of my new life.

I reached a hand up and wiped away the tear, and I thought back to all the good times that we had shared together, and as quickly as the happiness came, it faded, and a cold rage started to race through my veins. Rage at the fact that she betrayed me and with my best friend of all people. Rage that she wasted so much of my time.

I was so lost in my thoughts and memories that I didn't notice an aura start to radiate from my body nor the cold chill that permeated the air around me. Only when Prox fell back and scrambled away in fear was I jolted from my dark thoughts.

"You're a spell singer?" Prox exclaimed as he and stood in front of his cowering wife, protectively. "Please forgive this one for any transgression he may have caused, spare my wife is all I ask." He begged me.

I watched him for a moment as the thought hit me, they must hold mages in very high esteem in the drow civilization, though I'm curious as to why that may be.

"No, no relax you have done nothing wrong, I remembered something that I would have much rather forgot," I told him as I started to shift on my chair, desperate to rid my self of the memories.

Prox took the bundle of clothing out of the woman's hands, and she quickly scampered away. I could feel the fear radiating off her as she hurried away. I mentally chastised my self for the slip-up and stood.

Prox quickly handed over the pile of clothing and stepped away from me and glanced to the ground. "I apologize if this clothing does not meet your expectations, lord spell-singer." He tells me with worry filling his voice. I fight back the irritation growing in me at the reverence he was showing me.

"Hey, can you just treat me like you were when we just met, because this makes me rather uncomfortable," I tell him as I take the clothes from him and place them on the table.

"I'll do my best Since you are a traveler, you should be aware of the customs surrounding the spell-singers."

I shook my head and unfolded the clothing. The shirt was comprised of a dull white fur that had a rough sand-like feeling to it. The interior was made of an itchy leather that was a dark brown color and was patched together roughly with little to no craftsmen ship. It was poorly made, but it would work, I suppose. "I can't say that I'm aware of the customs, I never stayed around at the other settlements long enough to encounter another spell-singer, " I lied to him quickly, in hopes of gaining some form of information.

He eyed me warily and spoke again in a much more hushed voice. "Spell-Singers are the guides for our species. They guide us to new hunting grounds and use their sorcery to ensure we have enough food for the winter. This small settlement owes our lives to our spell-singers."

I furrowed my eyebrows in thought as I listened to him speak. So the mages held a venerated position, that was rather interesting. I needed to see how this pans out in the future. I slid the shirt over my head and was immediately rewarded with a harsh itching. I adjusted the fur shirt and unfolded the mottled brown pants and suppressed a grimace. I really did miss Earth and all the luxury it afforded. "I see. Well, thank you for telling me that.."

I pulled the pants over my slender legs and was confident that I looked ragged and disheveled, but I quickly pushed the thought to the side. I came down here for more important things than to worry about how I looked.

"You are welcome, sir, spell-singer. Now, what is this information you wished to share with me?" He asked me, and I noticed that his voice was starting to return to normal. That in itself made me happy since I didn't really appreciate being held in such high esteem.

"Oh yes, can you gather some fellow spell-singers and some other drow along with some scrap meat and fruits?" He gave me a quizzical look as he bowed and quickly scurried out of the small building. As he ran off, I thought over why I asked him to fetch me some spell-singers. I mostly wanted to see what role and function they preformed, and since they served as de-facto leaders, for the time being, I could hopefully teach them about farming. If I couldn't, then I could still give them an idea to work with for the time being.

      I followed him quietly outside and stopped to take a deep breath. The smell of moisture and algae hit my nose. I could smell the dirt around me and could hear the distant chattering of drow and the pattering of water hitting the cave floor. This is amazing, I created this and the life that now inhabits this cave. I smiled softly and closed my eyes, embracing the serenity of it all.

I felt my heart start to beat slower than usual, and a small pang of sadness began to grow deep within my chest. I wish my parents could see me now. I wonder if they would be proud of me now that I'm accomplishing something instead of gaming all day and lounging around the house. I let out a sigh and pondered on the memories while I awaited Prox's return.

I heard the sound of footsteps echoing in the cave heading in my direction. I forced away the various emotions that were building up in my chest from the thoughts of my ex and my family and glanced up at the small crowd coming my way.

There was a small amount of drow dressed in high-quality furs that varied from a snow-white to what appeared to be real leather, and behind them were drow dressed in patched and roughly hewn variants. I hid a frown I knew was about to appear on my face; this was going to be a problem if I didn't step in eventually and rectify it. But I think that I'll allow them to find their path and only step in if risks the species as a whole.

"Is this the spell-singer you were telling me about Proximus?" The lead drow asked as he sneered at me. I kept my face blank as I stared into the distance.

"Yes, Abraxis," Proximus replied quietly while looking away. His once fierce demeanor seemed to fade in the presence of the mages. Abraxis stared at me for a moment and tilted his slightly misshapen head up slightly.

"He doesn't look to be spell-singer, nor is he dressed like one." He shifted back and crossed his arms, and I saw an orange flame flicker across his jet black eyes. Is he a fire mage? I needed to learn how to use this system a little better so I can start to analyze the people I come across instead of going in blind.

"Don't assume anything based on appearances," I whispered as he turned to face me. I mentally activated lunge, and I closed the few feet in between us in a split second. I leaned close to his ugly face, and he quickly fell back in shock. His smooth blue skin had a faint reddish hue emanating from it along with a small amount of heat. I chuckled as I watched him quickly right himself, "Or it could kill you."

Abraxis sputtered in outrage, causing me to chuckle once more. "Anyways, I have you all gathered here to share with you some information I have found on my many travels," I explained and turned away from them all, purposefully not giving Abraxis the chance to talk. "Now, follow me, please."

We all left the cave and went back into the forest. The sun reached the center of the sky and beat down warm rays of light. The trees blew softly in the cold refreshing gusts of wind. I walked over to a patch of grass and looked back to the drow assembled behind me. "Does anyone have a shovel or a tool with them that I can borrow?" An elderly drow with stringy white hair stepped forward and gave me a stone knife. I took the blade and frowned. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but I would make it work. I dropped down to my knees and started to dig out the ground. The drow standing behind me collectively let out a gasp and a few murmurs amongst themselves.

"A spell-singer on the ground digging into the dirt."

"What is this madness?"

"Is he even a true spell-singer?"

I ignored the murmurs behind me and dug deeper into the soil, "Alright, someone hand me the food scraps, please." I dust the dirt off my hand and reach out for the pile of half-rotted meat and fruit and buried them. I flattened the top out slightly and started to dig small holes in intervals around the grass plane.

"Now, all I need are the seeds from some fruits or vegetables you have been eating." Proximus hands over a small cluster of seeds, that I didn't recognize, but didn't stop me from planting them. "Alright, so this is called agriculture. It allows for a steady amount of food to be produced without having to go out and forage every day continuously." I explained as I stood up and dusted off my hands on my pair of roughly hewn pants.

Abraxis was the first to talk to me while sneering, "I don't think it will work." I brushed off his criticism and continued to speak. "This will take time to grow, but once it does, you can collect it all, then bury the plants, and other food scraps underneath the dirt and rotate out your plants, and you will have a stable food income." Most of the drow looked up to me with awe-filled expressions as I explained the process, while some of the other spell-singers that sided with Abraxis gazed at me with contempt.

"This is the biggest thing that I wanted to teach this settlement if everything goes well, I do plan on returning to share more things that I have learned with you all." The small crowd gazed at me in wonder and then started to talk animatedly amongst themselves, and I decided it was time for me to bail. I've spent too much time here already, and I needed to visit the other races. I glanced around to make sure that no one was looking at me, and I managed to slip into the forest unseen. I took one final look at the group and met Abraxi's gaze as he searched the tree line for me. I gave a quick wink and mentally imagined the coastline and vanished from sight.

The beach materialized in front of me, and I dropped into the sand and sunk in a few inches. I quickly dismissed the avatar that I wore, and my flesh started to drip from my bones only to evaporate mid drop. The drow flesh sloshed and fell from me like a morbid rain, revealing my original inky black skin with pinpricks of light radiating off of it.

I sat down into the sand and quickly took off the clothing that Prox gave me just as the cold water crashed into my toes. I sat in the sand for a moment as I started to plan out my next few steps. "Helios?" I called out, and a moment later, I heard a small woosh, and a familiar voice responded to me.

"Yes, sire?" He asked as he sat down next to me on the beach. His clothing looked about the same as the last time I saw him.

"I need you to teach the angels, and the demons about farming, so we can speed up the development of the world a bit." He gazed into the horizon for a moment before replying.

"I'll do my best. The angels and demons are already feuding though I can attempt to quench that animosity. But I can't make any promises on if I will be successful."

I ran my hands through the cold water in thought for a moment. "Why are they feuding? Didn't the races just start to come into existence here not even a few hundred thousand years ago?" I asked him half-heartedly as I mindlessly swished the water around.

"The blood feud transcends mortal limitations. It is engraved into the very being of our species. Though since I am a system companion, I am free of the biases of my species; however, I do enjoy embracing my angelic side, So I'm affected by the hatred my self at times.."

I brought my knees up to my chest and let out a long sigh and stared off into the distance. "This is going to be rather tedious, isn't it?" I asked helios as the weight of everything that I was working on started to set in.

52