Chapter 18 Primal Age
1.8k 5 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 "Hmm." I mused to my self, as I looked over a large number of options. They all seemed to coincide with a different element. They all seemed rather appealing. 

 "So Helios, can you describe to me what each one does? Also, tell me if they are a self-buff, utility, or a benefit to my world and its races. None of that short and sweet stuff that you typically do." 

 He rolled his eyes and let out a groan. "As you wish sire. Where should I start?"

 "That was a dumb question. Start from the top." I tell him as I settle into my chair and bring the menu up to the direct center of my vision. 

 He rolled his eyes and began to speak. "Well, they are all self-buffing paths of power, with only a small handful of them acting as a buff to your world. Starting from the top, the Path of the Elemental is slightly different then what it seems. It acts as a self-buff and gives you a mastery of all of the classical elements. You know, fire, water, earth, and air."

 I nodded my head and mentally struck that off of my list. It seemed too bland and commonplace to choose. I wanted something a bit more unique. I thought about it for a moment before a thought struck me. "Wait before you go any further, do paths that give self buffs alter my appearance? Like if I chose the Path of the Elemental, will I start to show signs of it?" I asked him as my mind started to race at the possibilities. 

 "That was an excellent question on your part. I'm proud of you for asking it." He told me and gave a fake sniffle causing me to roll my eyes at him. "But yes, they do. The start of a path like that only offers very minute changes to your overall appearance, but once you start to walk it, your body will change to accommodate it. It leads to some very interesting looking Administrators." 

 I bounced my foot in my chair as I leaned forward and thought about it. That was rather interesting; I wonder what I will end looking like in a few years once I pick my final path of power. "Thank you, Helios, now the next one, the Path of Endless Fire." 

 He tilted his head for a moment as if he was thinking and spoke again, " That is a pure attack based path. It focuses on overwhelming offensive capabilities. Almost all the Administrators that follow it end up becoming a slave to their desires and become a husk of their former selves. Don't get me wrong its a powerful path, but its a tedious one."

 I stared at the path for a moment longer before crossing it off of my mental list. As much fun as it sounded to become an angry ball of fire, I did not want to risk becoming a slave to my desires. I valued my freedom far too much for that. Besides, Im not sure that I want to walk the path of overwhelming offense and war. "Alright, Helios, tell me about the Path of the Eternal Blizzard." 

 He tilted his head for a moment as he thought. "Okay, so, the Path of the Eternal Blizzard is a utility path that focuses more on self-buffs then anything else. Administrators that focus on this path are some of the most desired in the galaxy. They are defensive but have a decent amount of attack behind it." 

 I nodded my head and thought about it. The Eternal Blizzard seemed like a perfect defensive choice for me, so I moved it to the top of my mental list. I shifted through the list and asked Helios, "Tell me about the Path of the Ash Walker." 

 He stood up and walked over the window and stared out into the vast openness of space. "The Ash Walker combines the Fire and Nature elementals giving a unique path that focuses on defense and survivability. It pairs rather well with the Dancer class since it grants a lot of active regeneration passives." 

 I stared at the name for a moment longer and moved the Ash Walker up higher on the mental list. I needed a path that would synergize well with me. My current class seemed like it was strong enough, but it lacked in the defensive department, at least with what I could tell so far. "Alright, Helios up next is the Path of the Oblivion Remnant." 

 He stiffened, and I heard him take a deep breath through his nose. "That is a very powerful path to take, but if you are not careful, the darkness that comes with it will consume you." 

 I leaned forward, and I started to bounce my leg as I felt a jolt of curiosity run through me. "Well, what can you tell me about it?" 

 He tilted his head to the side and let out a sad sigh, "Do you know what exists before a universe does?" 

 I remained quiet for a moment as I started to think back through all the conversations we had. "Well, I remember you mentioning something about how, when an Administrator gains enough power, they force open a hole into oblivion or something like that." 

 He nodded and spun around and glided across the floor to his seat while he explained the path to me. "Well, when they force open that hole, they are opening a spot into oblivion that is somewhere infinitely further than where we are. It's  like dimensional magic, but we remain in the same dimension if that makes sense." 

 I nodded my head as he spoke, but in all reality, it hurt my head slightly, trying to make sense of it all. "Okay, so what does that have to do with the Path of the Oblivion Remanent?" 

 Helios settled into his seat and began to speak. His voice sounded solemn and sad as he spoke. "The only Administrators that can do that are the ones that walk the Path of the Oblivion Remanent. Many choose it for its power and potential. Many of those that choose it end up changing it when they can. Very few manage to walk it, and the darkness often consumes those that fail to contain the power they try to wield. The few that survive and master it is are amongst the most powerful Administrators in existence."

I leaned forward and rested my chin on my hand, and intently listened as he spoke. This just raised so many questions that needed answers. "What about the being that created this universe? What does the class grant you that makes is so strong? I need more information, Helios!" 

 Helios let out a sigh and shifted slightly, "Its name is the Watcher, and that's all we know. Many consider the Watcher to be a myth, but trust me when I say it is very real and very dangerous." 

 I sat back and nodded my head, " The Administration hierarchy seems to be very diverse. Though now I think I'm starting to understand it a little better. Will I ever get to meet the Watcher?" 

 "It's unlikely if you don't walk the Path of the Oblivion Remanent. It prefers to keep to its self." 

 I almost wanted to ask why Helios kept referring to the Watcher as an it, but then I realized that gender has become very skewed since I became an Administrator. "But anyway, what makes this class so powerful? What benefits do I get out of it?" I asked Helios. My partial thirst for knowledge was sated, and I wanted to wrap up my path selection. 

 "Well, first, we need to consider what Oblivion is." He stood up and walked over the window and gestured for me to join him. "As you gaze into space, what do you see?"

 I walked over to him and gazed out of the window. I stared at Ouradia and saw the clouds flow across the atmosphere clouding the rolling green landscapes and the vast oceans of the planet. In a way, I started to feel homesick as I stared at the planet. I really did miss Earth, and I wish I could see my family again. With a sad sigh, I pushed the thoughts to the side. I needed to focus on the task at hand. 

  I peeled my eyes from Ouradia and quickly glanced at the burning star. I could see the fire raging across its surface. It shined brightly in the ever-encompassing darkness of space as a beacon of light. I shifted my view again, and all I saw was darkness with specks of light from stars that existed millions of light-years away. Other then the small slice of the universe that I called my home, all I could see was darkness. " I see life, I see planets and stars, but I see more darkness than anything else." 

 I saw him nod as he spun back around and started to pace around the control room. "That is what oblivion is. It is everything, and it is nothing. Its life and its death. But it is a darkness that will consume all life if given a chance. " 

 I nodded my head and went back to my chair. I stared at it for a moment and contemplated his words. This did seem like a unique path so far; I should find out more before I make a choice. "Alright, hit me with the benefits and the drawbacks of it." 

 He walked over to the communications module and ran his fingers across the obelisk. " Well, you will gain an Elemental Affinity for it, and as with all the other Elemental Paths, you will acquire an elemental familiar. In this case, it will be an oblivion remnant and access to a new race known as the Voidlings. But there a few key things you need to keep in mind regarding the path. You have to keep feeding your elemental familiar to stave off its hunger. You have to fight the darkness that grows within due to its power. Many Administrators will either try to poach you from your current guild or use you to gain power. There are more pros and cons to it, but that is a general gist of what the path offers." 

 I felt my head start to ache with the influx of new information. There was so much to this path. It seemed like a solid pick if I could manage it. So I kept it on my list and eyed my last few options. "Alright so we have the Path of the Steel Bender, is it any good, or will it fit me?" 

 Helios chuckled in response, "Not really. It's more support and creating based class, and contrary to its name, it focuses more on manipulating all metal that currently exists. Through its unique in the aspect that it adds more ore and metal variants on your worlds. Though you don't quite strike me as the type to spend your time crafting."

 "You would be right; crafting seems rather boring though the path itself seems to be rife with potential even if it's not my thing." I crossed off Path of the Stee Bender. So I was left with two more paths. "Alright, next up is the Path of the Electric Avatar." 

 "It falls under the same category as the Path of Endless Fire. Overwhelming offensive capabilities, but no defense. It focuses mostly on lightning-fast attacks and bright displays of power." 

 I pinched the space where my nose would be if I had one. Did this angel make a pun? "Did you do that knowingly, Helios?" 

 "Did I willing do what my lord?" He gave me an innocent look, or as close to innocent as he could muster, and I squinted my eyes at him. 

 "Nothing Helios. Nothing at all, anyways the last one on my list is the Path of the Radiated Elemental. Is it any good?" 

 I saw his lips twitch in the faintest motion of a smile and knew that he was well aware of what he did. "It is a path that focuses on damage over time, and area of effect damage. It's not a path that many Administrators choose to take, but it is mighty. It even synergizes with your class since you are a close-ranged fighter." 

 I stared at the name; the name made sense. It seemed like it focuses on damage based on radiation. I thought over it for a moment and crossed it off. I have enough damage based abilities for now, and I needed something with a little more utility.  "Alright, Helios, in your honest opinion, what do you think will be a good path to follow? The Path of the Eternal Blizzard, Path of the Ash Walker, or the Path of the Oblivion Remanent?" 

 He rubbed his chin with his fingers and remained quiet for a moment.  "Well, that is a tough choice. All three offer potent bonuses to you. Naturally, as a companion, I want you to stay alive, so I'd recommend the Path of the Ash Walker. But in turn, I would also recommend the Path of the Oblivion Remnant, for the utility it gives. I mean, it gives a free race and substantial bonuses to you. Though the drawbacks counteract the benefits." 

 "You do have a point about that. I think before I decide on what path I want to follow, I need to decide on how I want to live my life as an Administrator. I need to find focus. I have treated this life so far as a novelty, and I need to focus on something, cause the last thing I want to do is end up dead." I told him as I crossed off the Path of the Eternal Blizzard from my list. 

 "Well, I can't decide for you in regards to that. However, what I can do is help you focus on whatever it is you choose." 

 "I'm not quite sure. When I was awakened, I was still human until I created a new race, which at the moment, I am the sole member.  Alpha told me all these things about how humanity is always under attack and besieged on all sides or something of the like. I created a monstrosity of a race partially in hopes of defending humanity but also partly because I felt like it. As each day goes on, I feel my humanity starting to slip as I settle into my new body. It's felt gradual, but I feel it slipping." I brought my hand up to my face and rested it where my mouth would be. 

 "But that's just what I feel building up. I've been mostly suppressing the feelings since from the start. So I'm sorry If I lashed out at you from time to time. Just feeling homesick and thrown to the wolves will do that to you, I guess. " I settled into my chair and let out a sad sigh. "I'm not quite sure what I want. I want to defend humanity, but now that I'm an Administrator, I want to defend all life, even the life that I had no hand in creating." For a moment, I let everything that I have been feeling pour out. I hate feeling like this. But hopefully, soon, I can adjust and move on and make something of my self. 

 Helios sat quietly and listened to me as I rambled on. He crossed his arms and sat back, staring intently at me with his searing white eyes. He nodded his head as I spoke, and waited till I finished to share his thoughts. "So with that being said, focus on defending life. You do have a title that denotes you as a champion of humanity.  But how about strive to protect all life and not just humanity. There are Administrators out there who only want to destroy life and tear the universe asunder. Some races are on the brink of extinction, and Administrators that are on the cusp of being killed or enslaved.  I think with what you told me, you should focus on raging against that evil, and do what you can to save lives. The universe is a dark and cruel place, and it can get any source of light it can." 

 I nodded my head and stood up and walked over to the glass window that overlooked Ouradia. I stared at my planet and watched the clouds drift lazily over the continents. For once in my life, I felt attached, and I couldn't imagine my self without this planet. I felt a cold rage build up in my chest at the thought of losing it. "Helios, would you hate me if I chose to walk the Path of the Oblivion Remanent?" 

 "I wouldn't hate you, Kairos. But that will be a long and treacherous path. You could just as easily walk the Path of the Guardian if you want to defend your home." 

 "I could, but I don't want just to defend it. One day when I'm ready, I want to be able to fight against the darkness. I want to protect my races and my home. I want to protect humanity and save what I can. Even if it does sound somewhat cliche, I want to see life flourish." I reached out and set my hand on the glass as I steeled my resolve. I will walk the Path of Oblivion and do what I can to save all the life that I can. No matter what it takes.  

 "If that is what you choose sire, then I will back you," came as his only response. I nodded my head and brought up my screen and selected the Path of the Oblivion Remanent.

 

Path of the Oblivion Remanent has been taken... All Paths of Power have been completed... The user's status page has been updated. 

I closed out the menu and turned to Helios, "Alright Helios, what else do I need to finish to get the ball rolling." I felt a sense of vigor rush through my veins. Now that I have a purpose, everything is starting to seem a bit clearer to me. I was ready to take on the universe. 

 Helios cleared his throat as we stood in the newly added Organic Assimilation room. "Well, let's get some gods and or goddess created. Since you walk the Path of Godhood now, you can create them." 

 The screen flickered as it waited for my input. "Alright, Helios, before I create my deities, what roles do they perform for me or my races?" 

 "On a racial level, they can guide and lead your races if you so choose. They can interact with your races, and lead them as kings or queens. Guide them as a silent hand; the possibilities are quite endless. However, on an Administrator-level, Deities act more as a commander role. They can help organize defenses, manage creation points, and can defend worlds in your place. The only downside is they start weak, and require time to get stronger. They scale with the Administrator, so eventually, they can stand toe to toe with low leveled to mid-tier Administrators." Helios explained to me as I attempted to process the information. 

 So I can create gods that will act as commanders if I need them to. That's good to know, at least I won't have to defend every world I own personally. "So then my next question is, do they preside over specific domains, or is it a free will kind of deal with them?" I asked him as I clicked on the screen and was surprised to see that the Module looked like a lower-tech version of Malek's. 

 "Well, they can be either. They can rule over domains, which grants them significant bonuses, or they can be a jack of all trades master of none diety." He told me as I nodded my head, showing that I was following along.

 "Okay, good to know, If I go the domain route, is there a limit to how many they can preside over?" I asked as I started to glance around the room as the vestiges of a plan began to form.

"At your level, you can only give them two; at higher levels, they can reside over many more, " was his response as I started to pace around the room. I felt his eyes follow my every step as he thought about my question. 

 "So one last question can I expand the size of this room? It's fairly large as it is, and I want to make creating my first four deities an Iconic moment." I stopped the second I made a full rotation around the room and took my position back next to Helios. 

 "You can, but it won't be permanent unless you spent creation points to make it that way. I'd recommend saving them for when you add a theme to your control room. But imagine what you want the room to look like, and it will take it." He fluffed his wings and walked over a wall resting his leg against it. 

 I nodded my head and closed my eyes. I imagined the room tripling in size and a large staircase that appeared just behind me that lead up to a platform that held six thrones. My throne sat in the middle and was a traditional throne with a red cushion and golden armrest and was a level higher than the rest. Seated to the right was a throne that was painted gold and had small rubies dotting the arms. The cushion of the throne was painted snow white and had tiny flecks of gold painted on it. I did my best to make it look as royal as possible since this would be Helio's tempory throne, I had to cater to my companion after all. I mentally placed a simple throne directly to my left. The remaining three I put on a slightly lower level that could oversee the machine. 

 I opened my eyes and spun around and saw that all the work I just did mentally finished forming, and Helios was already sprawled out in his seat. He had his legs kicked over the armrest and was clad in a royal purple robe — the nerve of this angel. "I see you have found your seat and have already settled into it? I hope it's comfy." I teasingly told him as I walked up the stairs to take my place on my throne. 

 "Yes, it is perfect. I thank you for the throne." He let out a yawn and settled in. "Alright, let's see what you can cook up, and before you ask, the screen will project to where ever you are in the room, so just make a gesture for it, and it will come." 

 I rolled my eyes and gestured for the screen to appear, and sure enough, a split second later, it appeared and flickered for a moment and then updated. 

Welcome to the Organic Assimilator Administrator. Due to your paths of power, this status screen has been updated.

 Gods 0/4 

 Monsters 0/2

  I read over the text and saw that there was a new addition to the text. "Hey Helios, what role do the monsters perform? Are they like deities?" 

 Helios let out a yawn and spawned in a white blanket and wrapped it around himself. "They are heavy hitters. They do not scale off of the Administrator's level, but instead, they rely on monster evolution to stay relevant. They can get strong rather quickly, so I recommend you put in a loyalty into their template when you finish creating them." 

 I eyed Helios as I watched him curl up in his blanket. He is such a strange being. He has grown on me, but I don't think I want to have to deal with another being like him. 

 I tore my eyes from him and moved to hit the create button when I saw a flash of red in the doorway. "Erm, Helios, who is that?"  

 He glanced up from what I'm guessing was his screen and gave me a smirk. "It's Aphelia, who else would it be?" He snuggled back into his blanket and shifted his focus back to whatever it was he was focusing on previously. 

 Shit. How could I forget that she was here? I quickly materialized another throne right next to me and bounded down the stairs. As I got closer to her, I could see that she took on a more material form. She had a pale white flesh and a small sprinkle of freckles on her nose. Her hair was a brilliant scarlet and hung down to her hips. She had soft, hazel colored eyes and light pink lips.  She was wearing a single grey robe that flowed down her body and wasn't wearing any shoes. "Hey, Kairos. What are you two doing?" Her voice rang in my ears like chimes, and I felt my heart melt a little. 

 "Hey, we are uh, about to create a batch of deities and monsters that will help preside over this world. Would you like to join us?"  

 She looked over at the machine, and then to Helios, who was I'm pretty sure was asleep at his throne. "Sure, this seems fun enough." 

 I reached my hand out, and she took it, and I guided her up the stairs, "Take a seat right next to me." I told her as I reached my throne and waited for her to sit down first before I eventually followed suit. 

  I settled into my chair and brought the menu back up. "Alright, I am going to dive into this now, so if I don't hear you say something, don't take it personally. I'm just in the zone." I explained to her as I mentally prepared my self to get to work. She only nodded her head in response and settled into her chair.  

 I went into the creation menu for the gods. What did I want to make first? I glanced to the side and saw that I had a list of all my races, including Voidlings. That made me curious about my elemental, but I'll get to that later. I want to do this first.  

 I quickly scanned the list and decided that I wanted to use a Nephilim as my first diety. Accordingly, they were extinct, so I wanted the first to be a model to their kind. I selected the Nephilim, and a three dimensional model of a male appeared. I looked at it for a moment and decided that I didn't want this specific diety to be a male. 

 I switched over the model to a female. I looked over the model for a second. The skin had a light red coloring that I remembered from the last time I was in the creative menu. I decided to change the coloring from the red to something a little darker. I messed around with the various hues until I decided on leaving her skin with an olive complexion.

 I shifted her around and decreased her height to slightly shorter than my self, which would put her at five feet and four inches tall. I changed her body's proportions around to make them fit her size, cause let's face it. I don't want to be a perv and give her needlessly large breast or and large ass. This was not an anime. 

  I pushed the model back and looked it over once more. This was fun, and she was turning out reasonably well. I shifted the model again and decided to change her hair a little. So I changed the color to a light brown and added in small blonde highlights in various places. I decided to leave the hair undone, so when she came to life, she could do it her self.  I changed her eye color to emerald green and left her halo how it was, which was constantly shifting between a burning red and radiant gold. 

 I glanced through the menu and saw that I could add clothes based on what my races had to offer. So I scrolled through the list and was disappointed to see that there was not much available, which was to be expected since they were still in the primal age.  I eventually decided to settle on a nicely made grey tunic that hung over her proportionate breast and brown pants. She would finally find something better, but I just wanted to make sure she was clothed when she was born. 

 I checked out the model one last time and made small adjustments to her form before I sat back to appreciate my work. She was beautiful. I smiled and clicked the button that took me to the next screen. Here I needed to name her and select her domains, class, and make a personality.  

  I stared at her for a moment as my mind racked through dozens of names. But none seemed to stick to her. I glanced over to the domains and decided that If I was going to name her, then I might as well do it based on that. 

I read through the long list that quickly insured, and I felt mind boggled. I  could put her in really any domain. There were a countless amount of options that I could choose to put her in. I pushed the screen away and thought for a while about what I would want her to do. 

  She was a Nephilim, and her race was brought to extinction, so maybe she would want justice for her kind? So I could put her under the domain of justice for starters. But what if she wanted more then justice? I thought for a moment longer and decided that I would also place her in the retribution domain. 

 I shifted my view back to her name and thought about it for a moment. What would be the right name for a goddess of justice and retribution? I started to mindlessly tap my armrest as I racked my brain for a name until it finally dawned on me. Nemesis. I typed the name in and thought about a potential last name. 

 I eventually decided to slash that idea; I will leave her name as Nemesis. Now, what class should I give her? I saw an option to search for a class. I glanced at her domains once more and quickly typed the first thing that came to mind. 

  Justicar- A class that functions around law and justice. This class utilizes heavy-hitting attacks to punish the wicked and evil. 

 This was a perfect class for her. I hope she likes it. I clicked confirm, and an option to create a personalized template appeared. This was something that I wanted to do before she was born. I definitely did not want another Helios around here. 

 The menu for the template was rather simple. I had space to type in crucial personality traits, and then another to write modifiers to her. I sat back and thought about who I want her to be. She so far was made to champion justice and to bring down the wicked and evil, so I will continue to expand on that. 

 So on the top bar, I wrote in zealot, vindictive, honorable, unbiased, unyielding, and righteous. 

I thought for a moment longer for the next section since I wanted a general catch-all for her just in case I missed something. I typed in a few sentences, only to delete them right after. What do I want to give her to make her truly unique? I read back over the main personality traits and decided to expand off of the story I was building for her. 

 She detests any Angel or Demon that is not created by Kairos the Silent Overseer, or his guild Breath of Creation.

 She will protect the weak at all costs and will punish the wicked and corrupt.

 She wants to avenge her race for all the wrongs they have received and slay those responsible for their deaths.

 She follows all laws to the letter and will punish all who break the rules regardless of who they are. (Exceptions are Kairos, Helios, and Aphelia). The laws will be set forth by Kairos shortly her birth.

 She is fiercely loyal to Kairos.

 

 

 I read over the list and thought it looked pretty good. I think it sums her up pretty well, and I appreciate the backstory that I built in the process. Hopefully, she turns out to be a well-designed deity. I read over everything once more and clicked confirm. 

The machine started to buzz as it turned on, and a small beam of red light appeared just under it, and a fine mist of a sandlike substance started to pour out and rain down on the ground below. 

  The sand started to condense, and flesh began to materialize and then clothes. It was almost like liquid was flowing into a mold. It felt rather satisfying to watch. After a few moments, the light pulsed once more and then turned off, leaving the newly born Nephilim standing underneath it. 

 The figure shifted from one foot to the other, and her eyes opened, and she scanned the room. I saw her emerald eyes make contact with me, and she dropped to a knee. "Father, I have arrived." Her voice had a deep feminine quality to it. In fact, it was slightly husky. I stared at her for a moment and stood up. "Rise Nemesis, and take your seat at my left side." She stood and gave me a curt bow and walked over to her throne and sat down. 

 This was going to be a very long day. 

54