Chapter 36
1.4k 5 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“It feels like forever since I last saw you. How are you doing, Nia?” Ziva asked as I helped her up and started to brush off her tattered clothing. She looked the same as the last time I saw her. Her honey brown hair hung just below her shoulders and was in a tight french braid.

“I am doing well. I was just about to explore the city in detail for a while before I head back to the Academy. Would you like to join me?”

“Sure, there are some stalls that are only open at night anyways that I want to visit before I head home.” I extended my arm out for Ziva to take, which she did, and we started to walk through the side streets towards the merchant district.

“So, how is the Academy so far?” Ziva’s words seemed to cut the silent air like a knife.

“It's going, I suppose. Most of it is rather boring. I only really care about the magic aspect of it.” I replied honestly to her.

“I see. I wish I could afford to go to a school like that. I know my mom is trying her hardest to save up money, but it's really hard in these times.” As she spoke, a troubled look appeared on her face.

“Why what's happening?” I asked her, trying to get a feeling for current events.

“There is a war looming on the horizon with the Church, along with a growing number of attacks by the green beast. The taxes have been steadily increasing to try and prepare, but it's only hurting the lower class more and more.” She explained to me as we finally got into the merchant district and worked our way through the small groupings of people that were out.

“I’m sorry to hear that, Ziva. If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know, okay?” I tried to reassure her, and she glanced up at me and smiled.

“It's alright. I suppose.” She glanced down, and the look on her face told me there was more to the story, but I wouldn’t press her on it yet. But I would do my best to take her mind off of it.

“Alright, well, for the meantime, let's enjoy the night, and I will make sure that you get home safe, alright?” Ziva pursed her plump lips and nodded. “Good. Now let's explore.”

We wandered around the city for a time and visited the various stalls that were just opening up. Some offered specialized magical spells, and others were a bit more nefarious in operation. The worst part of what I saw was slave auctions that were held in merchants plaza that we happened to stumble across.

A crowd of people was gathered around the large wooden stand that held a small group of beings that were chained up and had matching asymmetrical marks on their forehead. There were two humans. One was a male that looked to have just become an adult. He was covered in scars and had his head shaved bald. The female-only wore a thin covering that barely covered her genitals, but was in a much better condition than the male. The other four were an equal mix of male and female Drow and Dark Elves. The males' heads were shaved, and the females only wore enough clothes to be covered.

I felt a wave of icy anger start to build in my veins as I dragged Ziva away from the plaza and into an alleyway. “What is that?” I hissed out, trying to stay quiet mostly because I didn’t want to attract attention to ourselves. I was furious that there was a slave trade on my planet. I was also partially angry that Nemesis did nothing to stop it.

“That was a slave auction, and before you say anything, Orsalon only allows for slaves if they were captured in war or committed a serious enough crime to warrant it.” She replied calmly and pulled me into a reassuring hug. “I know it seems wrong, but as far as I know, no one is kidnapped, and they are only bound as a slave until their sentence is up.”

I took a few deep breaths and calmed myself. It still bothered me that slavery existed, but at least it seemed to have a basis. I would need to keep an eye on it to make sure it didn’t get any worse. I also plan on phasing it out of existence over time so the system wouldn’t be abused. After I managed to calm myself, I grabbed Ziva’s hand and pulled her away from the plaza. I wanted to get as far away as possible from that place.

I pulled her further into the city and managed to find a place in a park to sit that overlooked a lower part of the city, and gave us a beautiful view. We both sat down, and a fierce quiet overtook us for a few moments. Only the sounds of birds chirping and the occasional insect could be heard in the distance. The ring that orbited Ouraida cast a faint blue glow that illuminated the city.

“I’m sorry that you had to see that. It really bothered you, Nia.” I sat quietly for a moment before I decided to reply.

“Where I am from Slavery is taboo. It's wrong, and it's something that I am not sure I am okay with. Even with what you explained to me, it still feels wrong to allow.” I vented my pent up frustrations towards Ziva, and she gave me a soft pat on the back.

“I’m not okay with it either, but it is a practice that has existed for centuries. There are not many people who have the power to challenge it, and those that do are often found dead. But for the last few years, laws have been slowly added in, only allowing criminals and captured soldiers to be slaves.” She rested her head on my shoulder and wrapped an arm around my waist, and I forced myself to calm down.

There was no point in getting angry. I may not want to reveal myself to the populace, but I can have the gods change it. This is my world, and I won’t allow something like this to exist. I let out a pent up breath and gazed up at the sky and the rings above me, and for the first time, I noticed the sheer beauty of the rings.

The rings were split into three distinctive layers. The first color was ice blue and took up the largest amount of space on the ring. The next layer was a lighter blue that seemed to fade into the faint white segment of the rings. I stared at the rings as they rotated around the planet, and I thought back to the day I met Aphelia.

A prodding finger tore me from my thoughts, and I glanced over at Ziva. “Those are some pretty rings, huh?” She asked, and I nodded my head.

“That they are. I have never seen anything like them.”

Ziva gazed up at the rings with me and, after a time, asked, “Who is Kairos, and what does Lament mean? I have always wondered that. Every time I gaze up at it, those words come to mind, and it happens to everybody.”

I was semi caught off guard by that question. Since I never really expected to be asked that. Though I can do my best to answer it without revealing who I am. “Well, want to know a secret?”

Ziva tore her gaze from the rings above and looked over at me. Her hazel eyes lasered on to me, and she brought her knees up to her chest and nodded her head. “I am a high priestess just like my sister, though I am a priestess for a long-forgotten god. A god that is older than even Helios.”

Ziva’s eyes grew wide. “There is a god that is older than Helios? I was always told that Helios is the father and that he is the one that created all.”

I chuckled and extended my legs out and crossed my feet. “Ah, well, I can promise Kairos was there before him. Kairos was the reason these rings exist. You see eons ago; there was another planet in this system. But Kairos was just a young god then. One who didn’t know what he was doing, but only had the best intentions in mind. But in the end, he ended up destroying the planet by accident. He felt so bad about it that he used his power to turn the planet into the rings that you see and placed them around Ouradia. You can say it's a monument to his sins. The word Lament pays homage to that. It means a passionate expression of sorrow.”

Ziva listened along quietly as I told the story and waited until I finished to bombard me with questions. After I finished, silence filled the air around us as she processed the information she just received. “Where is Kairos now?”

“Who knows? He could be anywhere, anyone, and none of us know. However, what I told you stays between us. He prefers to keep to himself and watch over everyone, alright?”.

“I understand, thank you for telling me that story. I will keep it a secret, I promise. But since you are a high priestess, I have a problem that I think only you can help with.”

I raised an eyebrow and pulled my legs up. “And what might that be?”

“I just turned sixteen a few days ago, and Orsalon is drafting all able-bodied citizens to war if they are of age. The only exceptions are those who are with the adventurers guild or are enrolled in an equivocal guild. I can’t afford to apply to the adventures guild, and I don’t want to become some soldiers bed warmer.” She pulled her legs up and wrapped her arms around her knees, and looked distraught.

I felt bad for her. She didn’t deserve to become some man's play toy, and she has dreams that she wants to accomplish. Nemesis, can you send me the amount of money needed to cover the fee for applying to the Adventurers Guild? A moment later, I felt a weight in the pocket of my tunic, and I sent a thank you to her.

“Ziva, I won’t help you in this regard as a high priestess of Kairos.” I saw tears form in the corners of her eyes, and she bent her head down as she tried to choke back tears.”However, I will help you as a friend.” I reached into my pocket and grabbed the coins that were there. There were one gold coin and a bunch of silver ones. I grabbed Ziva’s hand, and she looked up at me in shock and had tears pouring down her caramel-colored skin.

“Oh Nia, thank you so much, you have no idea what this means to me.” She threw her arms around me and pulled me in for a tight hug. I gave her a soft pat on her back since it made me slightly uncomfortable touching someone. But I was happy for her. I didn't have an opportunity like this when I was human, and it made me happy to be able to help someone.

“Don’t worry about it, Ziva, anything for a friend.” I pushed her away and smiled at her and she wiped her tears away with a small sniffle.

“This means so much to me. I will go first thing in the morning to the Adventurers Guild headquarters and sign up.” After she said that a crestfallen look appeared on her face, “But once I do that, I may not see you ever again.”

“Don’t worry, Ziva. I am sure you will see me again one day. I am a traveler, after all. I wasn’t even planning on staying at the academy for long anyways.” I saw more tears form on the corner of her eyes, and she threw herself on me once again.

“We will see each other again at some point, right?” Her words were slightly muffled since her head was buried in my hair.

“I have it in good faith that we will meet once more, Ziva. After all, we were destined to meet.” I felt bad having to lie to the girl, even if I did consider her a friend. But I will do my best to see her once more before I end up fast-forwarding the world. I can always mark her, just in case she needs help, it will give me a reason to see her one last time if she ever needs it. “I have one thing I can do for you. But you must keep this a secret as well.”

Ziva pulled back from me and gave me a quizzical look. “As a high priestess of Kairos, I am given one blessing to hand out to one that I find worthy. You will become a chosen of Kairos, and in a time of need, he will be there to help you. All you will need to do is accept his mark and call out his name. However, he will only come once. You can consider this a parting gift from me.”

She glanced down and pulled back her tattered clothing on her arm, revealing a small mark on her arm of a blindfolded woman, and a pair of swords crossing underneath it. “I have already been marked by Nemesis. I don’t think I can accept another marking. Many others have tried but failed to receive one.” I mentally brought up my menu and searched through the files regarding help for chosen individuals.

I brought the file up and quickly read through it and saw that an Administrator could supersede that limit. However, they can only do it for one person at a time. If they did it, they would unlock a secret questline. I wanted more, but the system wouldn’t give me any information unless I attempted to do it. Well, it was now, or never I suppose. I don’t have to provide her with the mark, but I want to know what the quest is.

I reached out and touched her forehead and transferred my mark over to her, and a notification appeared.

You are attempting to give a mortal the mark of a deified Administrator. Doing so will surpass the mark limit on this user and activate the ever chosen questline.

Thankfully here I could select the option to read it over quickly. I wanted to know what I was in for.

The Quest of the Ever Chosen: A secret questline that can only be received by an individual if they supersede the marked cap by an administrator who walks the path of godhood. Upon receiving the quest, the recipient must complete the following requirements.

1) Must receive the mark of every deity that exists at the onset of the quest. The marks can not be freely given but must be earned by completing trials set by the gods.

2) The user must sacrifice something of great value to them to show that they are willing to complete this quest. This requirement can be done at any time but must be completed to finalize the quest.

3) The user must obtain a class of no less than the (Exalted) level before the quest completion. The class can not be given as a gift but must be earned.

4) The recipient must defeat (2) Monsters of the trial to complete this quest.

General information on the quest: The user is granted basic immortality for 100 years to complete the quest. This is only in regards to the lifespan. They can still be slain by natural events or murdered. At the end of one hundred years, if the quest is not completed, the recipient will be slain by the system.

After the quest, the recipient can request any wish from the Administrator and will receive the next tier of immortality as a reward.

Only (1) Everchosen questline can be given at one time, and can only be given again upon the death of the previous recipient. If the quest is completed, then the quest will be locked for a total of (6) full galactic cycles.

Monsters of the trial are randomly generated monsters that are significantly above the level of the recipient. The administrator can not assist the recipient in any way when the recipient chooses to fight the trial monsters. The trail monsters will also scale off of whatever bonuses are given by the various marks the user may have at the start of combat.

I read over the information in a blink and confirmed it. I didn’t want to send the poor girl to her death. I saw her as a friend, but I need to learn to separate feelings from my job as an Administrator. Being too kind will only get me killed. Besides, I need an ally in the coming times. A century to her will only be a few moments to me anyways.

A bright light illuminated the park we were at and her eyes opened wide, and a look of shock appeared in her eyes as my mark etched herself into her skin. I was kind enough to shift the mark from her forehead and moved it down next to Nemesis’.

Ziva glanced at me once more before the light in her eyes faded for a moment, and she passed out next to me in a heap. I sat back on my arms and took a deep breath of the cool air. I hope she makes it. She has my mark now, so I guess when she wakes up, I’ll send her a message and inform her I can’t help her in the monster trials.

I glanced at the clock and saw that it was going on two am. I needed to get her home and make sure she is safe and then get to class. What a life I now live.

Would you like to see an Ever Chosen Series?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
40