Chapter 63: The plan three years ago
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 

Winter three years ago.

 

A snowy night.

 

Marquis Garcia hurried back to Winter City.

 

All the way into Lion's Roar Castle, the Marquis didn't even change his clothes and went straight to the Duke's study.

 

"Dong dong."

 

"Come in."

 

Marquis Garcia pushed the door open and saw that Duke Saint Hilde was the only one in the study.

 

"It's been a hard journey. Sit down and have a glass of ale to warm yourself up."

 

Marquis Garcia took the glass of wine from his brother and drank it in one gulp.

 

The wind, frost, and coldness along the way were completely driven out of the body.

 

"Why are you so anxious to come back to me?"

 

"How's the situation on the front lines?"

 

"It's still the same as before. Gambic has been frightened by me and huddles in the military fort and dare not go out to fight in the field."

 

"Haha, that old turtle!"

 

Marquis Garcia poured himself another glass of ale, sipping it while waiting for his brother's next words.

 

He knew very well that the reason why the Duke called him back in such a hurry was definitely not because of the few questions he just asked.

 

"Someone suggested a plan to me that can help you lure Gumbic out of the turtle shell."

 

"Oh? Tell me!" Marquis Garcia suddenly became interested.

 

"First, you have to step back from the front lines."

 

"I'm afraid this alone is not enough."

 

"Well, your black cavalry will also withdraw together."

 

"Who will entrust the defense of the front line to?"

 

"Charles."

 

Hearing this, Marquis Garcia frowned immediately. He hesitated for a long time and then said carefully, "Charles... I'm afraid he still lacks some experience."

 

"Haha, if you don't let a young boy go to the front line, how can you get Gambic to get out of the turtle shell?"

 

"But war is not a child's play. If you do this, it is very likely to be self-defeating and bring a disastrous defeat to the North!"

 

"Success always comes with a price!" Duke St. Hilde's eyes were extremely firm. "This time, I am ready to ruin an army!"

 

"What?" Marquis Garcia was horrified and almost thought his brother was crazy.

 

But Duke St. Hilde's serious expression didn't look like he was joking at all, and he continued:

 

"Let me ask you, if the Black Cavalry encountered Gambic's troll army in the wild without any defense, how sure would you be of winning?"

 

"If Gambic is unprepared, if there is no nearby castle to hide from, then I am very sure!" Marquis Garcia's tone revealed strong confidence.

 

"Okay! Then let's have a battle to finish the work!" Duke St. Hilde slammed the table and said decisively, "I've had enough of those lingering trolls. I want to completely cut off their extension into the north. The claws of the environment!

 

So, you come down and Charles comes up.

 

Let him lose one game and let Gambic experience the taste of victory.

 

After the trolls plundered the northern territory, they would naturally return to the Troll King's City with their wealth and glory.

 

At that time, you can lead the Black Cavalry to catch up and catch them off guard! "

 

Marquis Garcia still frowned: "Even if you are willing to bury an army and give the city in the north to the trolls to loot, how can you guarantee that the trolls will be defenseless when they retreat? "

 

"This requires us to put on a play."

 

"How to act?"

 

"If I transfer you away from the front line, in the eyes of interested people, they will definitely think that I am afraid of you. Therefore, you can also show some dissatisfaction with me at the right time...

 

In addition, there will be a large number of lords' private troops in the army that Charles buried, which will inevitably arouse the dissatisfaction of various families in the north. If someone incites me at that time, it will easily cause you to try to gather dissatisfied people. The lords want to confront my situation.

 

At this time, the trolls will definitely feel that we are too busy to take care of ourselves and will not be prepared..."

 

"Did you forget a key question?" Marquis Garcia suddenly interrupted.

 

"what is the problem?"

 

"Am I really dissatisfied with you?" Marquis Garcia's eyes flickered, "If Charles is really defeated on the front line and ruins a northern army. By then, won't my black cavalry army be even more invincible? ?”

 

Duke St. Hilde suddenly smiled: "You know, when Talos Ulman proposed this plan to me, I also considered whether you would be able to fake it and actually do it."

 

"Is this a plan proposed by Count Uman? Well, what do you think? Will I really do it?"

 

Duke St. Hilde did not answer the question directly, but continued what he had just said: "At that time, I was thinking, it would be better if Talos didn't expect that you might actually do this.

 

If he thought about it but deliberately omitted it...

 

Either he has great confidence in our relationship and feels that it is impossible for us to turn against each other, or he is hiding evil intentions and pretending to be a plan to deal with the trolls, but in fact he wants to cause civil strife in the north! "

 

Marquis Garcia was stunned for a moment, then looked down at the wine glass in his hand, seeming to be thinking about Count Uman's true intention.

 

But Duke St. Hilde did not give his brother more time to think, and directly expressed his thoughts:

 

"No matter what Talos Ulman's true intention is, I know that you will not betray me."

 

"Are you so confident?" Marquis Garcia looked indifferent, "When I have the power to influence the situation in the north, how can you be sure that I will not be tempted?"

 

"Of course you will be tempted. But betrayal is just the price of loyalty is not enough. So, I will add a price to your loyalty!"

 

"What code to add?"

 

"After Charles' defeat, he will be deprived of his title of Marquis."

 

"That's it?"

 

"Of course not." Duke St. Hilde smiled and continued, "Vera will inherit the position of marquis!"

 

Marquis Garcia's eyes narrowed.

 

He was finally moved.

 

But then, he felt deeply puzzled: "In order to eliminate the threat of trolls, are you willing to pay such a high price?"

 

"No. It's not just the threat of trolls." Duke St. Hilde shook his head with a stern expression.

 

"Who else?"

 

"Do you know where the biggest threat to our northern border comes from?"

 

"Isn't it a troll?"

 

Duke St. Hilde shook his head again and said solemnly:

 

"External threats will only make us stronger and more united, they will not defeat us.

 

Only threats from within are the things that can truly corrode the foundation of the rule of the Saint Hilde family! "

 

Marquis Garcia was stunned for a moment before he realized what his brother was talking about: "You mean, the lords in the north?"

 

"That's right!" Duke St. Hilde gritted his teeth, "Do you know how many direct territories the St. Hilde family has under its name?

 

Do you know how many years your family has been unable to make ends meet?

 

Do you know why I've been reluctant to ban trade with trolls?

 

Don’t I know that this kind of trade is actually funding the enemy?

 

But what can I do?

 

The family needs this profit!

 

It seems that the entire northern territory belongs to me, but now I can't even hesitate to confer a little baron for a long time!

 

And you!

 

My good brother!

 

You're keeping the trolls out of the north, which is certainly a good thing.

 

However, this also completely blocked the replacement of old and new lords in the north!

 

If the trolls cannot break in, no one will be deprived of their title due to losing their territory. Therefore, there are more and more nobles in the north, but the land under the family name is getting less and less!

 

You always complain that I refuse to reward your meritorious officials, but you also don’t think about it, what should I use to reward you?

 

How about I give up this position of Duke to you?

 

You take care of this northern territory! "

 

Marquis Garcia looked at his angry brother and didn't know what to say for a moment.

 

In the silence, an abnormal blush flashed across Duke St. Hilde's face, which was caught by Marquis Garcia: "Brother, your injury..."

 

"You won't die for the time being!" Duke St. Hilde gasped, "But he won't be able to live for long."

 

Marquis Garcia looked sad.

 

"Brother, help me this time!

 

All the costs, all the notoriety, will be borne by me!

 

As long as you are willing to help me, the Saint Hilde family will be able to rise from the ashes!

 

And this northern territory, which is about to be completely new, will also be handed over to your biological daughter! "

 

Marquis Garcia said nothing.

 

Duke St. Hilde still stared into his brother's eyes, as if he would never give up until he agreed.

 

There was a long silence in the room.

 

Only the crackle of burning wood came from the fireplace.

 

I don’t know how long it took, but Marquis Garcia finally sighed:

 

"Okay, let me help you."

 
0