Chapter 68: Farewell
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 

After the investiture ceremony, everyone left the church one after another.

 

The faces of most of the nobles were filled with joy. After all, this conferment can be said to be the largest in the North in recent years.

 

Duke St. Hilde's generosity allowed the nobles in the north to settle down from the turmoil that had just ended.

 

They all firmly believe that the northern border will be even better in the future!

 

Colin ignored his sister who was chattering excitedly, and deliberately fell behind to talk to Marquis Garcia to test the big boss's mind.

 

Although Marquis Garcia did not have a fit on the spot, Colin knew that this time Duke St. Hilde broke his promise to make Adams his first heir, which had completely angered Marquis Garcia.

 

If before, the two brothers were deliberately acting, then now, the rift between them is real and can no longer be easily bridged.

 

To be honest, Colin didn't understand Duke St. Hilde's behavior of breaking his promise.

 

This is not because Colin thinks that the other party should follow the virtues of chivalry.

 

He's not that naive.

 

For an old politician who has ruled the North for decades, expecting him not to lie is like expecting a man not to cheat.

 

What Colin didn't understand was why Duke St. Hilde wanted to break up with his brother in this way at this time.

 

Too impatient, and too devoid of political wisdom.

 

If Colin were in the position of a duke, even if he did not want to pass the title of duke to Vera, he would not burn bridges so quickly.

 

At least he would first grant the title to Vera, recognize her status as the first heir, and stabilize Marquis Garcia first.

 

Then, whether it is to slowly weaken the Black Flag Army or to build another military force that can compete, it will be easier.

 

After all, Vera did not immediately become the Duke of the North when she inherited the position of Marquis.

 

In the future, she can also be deprived of her title.

 

Why rush now?

 

Of course, Colin didn't think Marquis Garcia dared to really rebel at this time.

 

After all, most of the lords in the north have now been eliminated, and the remaining ones have been re-pacified by the Duke.

 

The Black Flag Army's previous behavior of "turning sides before the battle" has already earned Marquis Garcia the reputation of a "betrayer".

 

Now even if he stood up to deal with his brother, no lord would respond to his call.

 

As for the Black Cavalry, they have also been divided and won over by the Duke with the acquiescence of Marquis Garcia.

 

Are vassals who were once loyal to the Marquis of Garcia, such as the Marquis of Dawson, still willing to admit that they are members of the Black Cavalry after swearing allegiance to the Duke?

 

Is it still like before, when Marquis Garcia gives the order, he chooses to follow it without hesitation?

 

What's more, only a very few people know that Duke St. Hilde broke his promise.

 

After all, the deal between Duke St. Hilde and Marquis Garcia was originally a secret. If Colin hadn't been regarded by Marquis Garcia as his future son-in-law and thus learned the specific details of the deal, he probably wouldn't have known it at all now. Will realize Duke St. Hilde's betrayal of his brother.

 

If Marquis Garcia chooses to rebel now, will he be regarded as a betrayal of his brother by the people in the north?

 

Is Marquis Garcia willing to bear such infamy again?

 

"Your Majesty the Marquis!" Colin approached the Marquis of Garcia and greeted him in a low voice.

 

Marquis Garcia glanced at Colin, said nothing, and continued walking outside without stopping.

 

Colin knew that the big man was in a bad mood, so he didn't dare to say anything more and followed him out of the church.

 

When he got outside, Marquis Garcia immediately got on his horse, glanced at Colin who was following him, and said in an indifferent tone: "Tell me, is your loyalty really irrespective of the reason, right or wrong?"

 

Colin's heart trembled, and he secretly cried out.

 

Facing the sudden attack of Duke St. Hilde, Colin deliberately interpreted loyalty as a kind of unconditional obedience in order to please the Duke.

 

Unexpectedly, this was obviously misunderstood by Marquis Garcia.

 

But there was no way, how could Colin expect that the two brothers would have a falling out again at that time.

 

At that time, he thought that Duke St. Hilde, who had eliminated threats from both inside and outside the north, had undoubtedly become the real master of the north.

 

If Colin wants to continue to mix in the north, grow the Angelet family, or even marry Vera, he must obtain the approval of Duke St. Hilde.

 

Therefore, Colin took the initiative to flatter him.

 

Moreover, when he saw his new fiefdom, he had already realized the Duke's plan. In addition, he already had a grudge against the Sudo family, so he was mentally prepared to become a knife in the hands of the Duke.

 

But who knew that the Duke would break his promise to Marquis Garcia at this time.

 

This undoubtedly caused the northern border that had just calmed down to once again have the hidden worry of turmoil.

 

Therefore, Colin once again faced the choice of taking sides.

 

But this time, he really didn't know which side to choose.

 

Although in his heart, he agreed more with Marquis Garcia.

 

This is not only because the Marquis gave him almost everything he had during the Icefield Battle, but also gave him retired veterans of the Black Cavalry to help the Angelet family form a cavalry.

 

He truly cultivated Colin as his son-in-law.

 

Moreover, from a moral point of view, this matter is indeed Duke St. Hilde's fault for his brother.

 

He broke his promise!

 

However, facing the question from Marquis Garcia at this moment, Colin didn't know what to say for a while.

 

Should I just admit that what I just said was fart?

 

If this happens, won't his "personality" collapse immediately?

 

Who dares to trust someone who can throw away their oaths at will?

 

While Colin was stunned, Marquis Garcia had already left on horseback.

 

Before leaving, he left one last sentence: "Go and understand the origin of the [Blade of Judgment] in your hand, and then rethink what true loyalty is!"

 

Looking at the retreating figure of Marquis Garcia, Colin stood stunned for a long time, at a loss.

 

Until her sister Caitlin came over with a puzzled look on her face and took Colin back to the hotel.

 

 

In the next few days, Bingyan City was calm.

 

Marquis Garcia did not take any drastic action, as if he had completely forgotten his brother's betrayal.

 

However, Marquis Garcia left Ice Rock City the night after the knighting ceremony.

 

It seems that he doesn't want to stay in this city for a second longer.

 

The departure of Marquis Garcia did not attract much attention. After all, the Marquis was accustomed to living alone.

 

Moreover, the real master of the North is still in the city.

 

However, Duke St. Hilde did not stay in Ice Rock City for long.

 

On the third day after the knighting ceremony, he set out to return to Winter City.

 

As the new owner of Ice Rock City, of course Colin had to go and see him off.

 

It was a sunny morning, and a large number of northern nobles gathered outside the south gate of Bingyan City.

 

The leader is naturally Duke St. Hilde.

 

Next to him was the newly promoted Viscount Angelet.

 

"Kelin, are you satisfied with the new territory I awarded you?"

 

"Your Majesty the Duke, of course I am extremely satisfied!"

 

Colin's words were not completely flattering.

 

Because the current territory of the Angelet family is indeed very large.

 

The original territory of the Suduo family was Ice Rock City and the surrounding area of more than thirty kilometers. However, this territory was not directly adjacent to the original territory of the Angelet family.

 

There are two baronies separated in the middle.

 

However, both barons were beheaded in previous rebellions, so the Duke simply awarded the two territories to Colin.

 

Therefore, including the original town of Graycastle, Colin's current territory is the sum of the area of the original viscounty and three baronies.

 

This definitely exceeds the territory of an average viscount.

 

If it weren't for the fact that there was indeed too much land and too few lords in the north, Duke St. Hilde would not be so generous.

 

"Haha, so, you are satisfied?" Duke Saint Hilde asked with a smile.

 

Colin blinked and smiled: "Of course not. No lord will be satisfied with the size of his territory!"

 

Duke St. Hilde laughed, seemingly satisfied with Colin's answer.

 

After laughing for a while, the Duke added: "Did you know? My grandfather once said something similar."

 

He raised his riding crop and pointed to the east: "The ice field in the north is not a good place to go. It's too cold and too barren. However, if you want to expand your territory, you can try going east."

 

After saying that, without waiting for Colin to respond, he immediately whipped his horse and left.

 

Colin froze in place, wondering what the Duke's last words meant.

 

At this moment, a gorgeous carriage passed by Colin.

 

The car curtain opened, revealing a beautiful face.

 

"Colin."

 

"Miss Vera."

 

"My coming-of-age ceremony is in one month, will you come?"

 

"Of course, it's my pleasure!"

 

Vera smiled sweetly and lowered the car curtain.

 

The convoy moved forward slowly and gradually disappeared on the horizon.

 

Colin stood outside the city gate for a long time, but instead of watching the Duke's retreating team, he looked towards the east - the direction that Duke St. Hilde had just pointed.

 

That is the eastern border of the empire.

 

And a small country sandwiched between the northern and eastern borders——

 

Half-elf kingdom.

 
0