Episode 2: Suddenly, It’s SciFi! (Part 3/Ryuu)
200 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

_Present Time

_Planet Caldinus I / General Duvalle Military Hospital / Caldinus Interplanetary Army Base

I paused from relating my experiences some days earlier to my (current) little sister so I could request some water. Talking so much made my throat parched.

I was just about to do so, but I noticed that Rin was actually giving me a funny look.

"What's up?" I inquired. 

Maybe my story seemed so ridiculous and farfetched that it went beyond her acceptable range. I can't do anything about it though. Even I'm still having a hard time accepting what had happened to me. 

And then, there's the 'transmigration' thing too. That's even more freaky. I'm not even sure if I should tell her about it, really.

"You were actually planning to butter me up with meat skewers?!" she spat in a huff.

"Uh, that's what you're hung up on?" I asked, somewhat sheepishly. 

"Of all the things you could have gotten me, it just had to be meat skewers huh?!" she pressed on like an enraged kitten.

"Well, that plan was a bust anyway. I got you that no-bake cheesecake instead right? Can't we just leave it at that lil' sis? C'mon. Big bro's sorry, okay?" I persuaded.

"Hmph!"

She turned her face away in a fit. 

Oh boy. She can be quite the handful sometimes.

She's certainly a different sort compared to that little bundle of pep and positivity back in the other world...

Man. I wonder how they're all doing? I fell down a cliff back there, so it might have caused quite the commotion. Are my parents and my sister over there okay? I hope they won't do anything drastic. 

How about those two? I sent a letter via carrier pigeon to the capital before setting off from Lindorf, informing my intention to attend their wedding. Have they received news about the accident yet? I wonder how they'd react?...

...

But...

But what if it was all just a dream?

—No! That can't be right! For some reason, something deep inside of me absolutely refuses to believe that world to be nothing more than just an illusion conjured up by my subconscious. 

"Bro? Big bro? Ryuu!"

I snapped out of my reverie after hearing Rin uneasily calling out to me.

"Sorry. Got a bit distracted, that's all." I said while flashing an apologetic grin.

"What's wrong Ryuu? You look really pale. Are your injuries acting up? Should I call a doctor?" Rin asked in concern.

"Nah, I'm good." I replied. "Anyway, does this mean I'm off the hook?" I inquired, in an attempt to change the subject.

"Hmph. Not yet, wise guy. Not until you take me to Auntie Bai's stall for some skewers." she answered and grinned wryly, like a mischievous imp. 

"But I thought you hated the idea?" I asked, perplexed.

"That was that. This is this." she stated matter-of-factly.

'Women... I really don't get em...' I thought while looking peeved.

"Here you go." Rin said as she handed me a glass of water from the nearby table. How considerate. I didn't even manage to ask for it yet.

As expected of my lil' sis!

...

Err... Ahem.

"Anyway, where was I again? Oh, right. Things got even crazier after I got out of the alleyway..."

I started to continue recounting the past events.

***

_A few days earlier

_Fraser Street / Milford District / Grigwald City / Planet Velmar IV

"OH SHIIIT! What the hell was that?!!!" I exclaimed in panic while running with all the strength I could muster.

I sped through the sidewalk after exiting the alleyway, passing by and nearly running over many pedestrians. Some even started shouting some pretty creative expletives at me. 

I honestly couldn't be bothered much right now. There's some really violent looking people with guns chasing after me for god knows what reason after all. 

I heard some panicked screams coming from behind me. Oh damn! Are they catching up? I sprinted even faster, trying my hardest to get away from whoever was in pursuit.

But then, the sound of several loud impacts rang out. They were followed by the wailing of vehicle emergency warning sirens. 

My heart nearly jumped out of my chest after hearing those. Damn! You've gotta be kidding me!

Not being able to resist the impulse, I glanced back to see the cause of the commotion, only to immediately turn around in fright after confirming my suspicion. Fuck it! Can I even get away from that on foot?!

Behind me, an ice cream hover-truck was speeding away, barreling through traffic to chase after me.

Why an ice cream truck? How the hell would I know?!

It didn't take long for the truck to catch up to me. Its side door opened up, and a large man wearing a gray exo-suit peeked out from inside. His left hand brandished a net gun used for hunting wild animals.

Shit! Gimme a break guys! That's overdoing it y'know! 

But before the man could fire the thing—

*bang

A jet black hover-van rammed the truck from behind, sending it careening to the other side of the street. It then neared me and an unexpectedly familiar face popped out from the lowered driver's seat window, calling out to me.

"Hey Ryuu-ryuu, stop running and hop aboard. We'll get ya outta here." 

I was taken aback after hearing that familiar way of address. My feet stopped running before I knew it and I looked towards the owner of the voice in astonishment.

"Uncle Hal?"

It really was Uncle Hal. Our next door neighbor. The man who was unexpectedly cheery despite his wife supposedly leaving him for some other guy, someone utterly obsessed with fishing as well as my father's newly made drinking buddy. 

He was the only one who liked to call us siblings something so utterly cutesy as 'Ryuu-ryuu' and 'Rin-rin', despite our vehement objections.

"What the? Wh- What's going on here uncle?" I stammered.

"No time for that Ryuu-ryuu! They're coming again! Hurry and get in. I'll explain on the way." Uncle Hal urged.

The ice cream truck of terror roared to life once more. It won't be long until it resumes chasing after me, from the looks of it.

Feeling utterly cornered, I briefly prayed to the powers that be and all eighteen generations of the Creed family ancestors (if we even go that far back anyway) and bit the bullet, hoping to high heaven that this wasn't just another ploy.

After I entered, the van immediately started up and and sped away.

3