Chapter 8: Prelude
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nathan was left aback; he couldn’t respond as what Iain said was true. He already realized it, but he needed to do this so he can end this cleanly.

Iain looked at Nathan before saying, “Thankfully, you’re now here and didn’t wait any longer. The bruises, I can help but the fracture on his arms and ribs is something I can do alone with this much equipment.”

It was but a simple clinic, it may be sufficient if only the arms were fractured but the ribs are also traumatized so it was best left to a hospital.

“Wait! They’ll contact our parents; I can’t let them know about this.” Neo interrupted the conversation.

“I can help with that part, you really need the proper treatment for such injuries, but you need to explain to your mother why you’ll be bedridden for at least a week.” Iain assured

Neo wanted to respond but he knew sooner or later his mother would know.

“I’ll be personally telling mom; you just stay still and recuperate.” Nathan said.

After they all came to a consensus, Iain and Neo went to a hospital and Nathan was now on his way to the university. Now it was time for the agreed test between him and Selene.

At the university.

Nathan doesn’t know but, it seems many students are early today. There was still a lot of time before the start of the class.

“He’s here!” A classmate of his said.

Nathan was indifferent as the class stared at him. This didn’t stop until Selene told them to stop.

“Did you study last night?” Warlock said as Nathan sat down.

“I guess so,” Nathan didn’t think of what he did was studying, since what he only did was test his knowledge.

“I hope so, it would be good if you answered even one question.” Warlock closed his eyes as he prayed for Nathan. In his heart, there really is no possibility for Nathan to win against Selene, what he was praying for was for Nathan not to be embarrassed greatly. Though it seems, his worry isn’t getting to Nathan who was busy preparing for the first subject.

Everyone seems so excited even when the math class will be later this afternoon. The hype never died down, not until the professor for the early half of the morning.

The morning continued as usual, some students looking at Selene and Nathan from time to time. Even though the professor was intrigued on what was going on, it was very noticeable that these two were in the center of attention.

She stopped the class and asked what was going on, the class thereafter told the professor what was going on.

If it was any other student who would battle Selene, it wouldn’t garner attention at all. But this time, the person was Nathan. Professors sometimes listen to rumors circulating; therefore, they somewhat knew of Nathan’s stand to the student body, adding to the fact Nathan’s grades, they can only resign and accept that such students exist.

Nathan’s ability to move up a grade level should be remarkable, given the kind of grades he is showing to people, but the problem was his consistency including the test, they always have the same percentage, almost like it was calculated.

With Nathan’s behavior, they couldn’t help but be attracted to Nathan’s infamous status. Even without a failing grade, he assumed the title of the worst student of the college in terms of grades.

Professor Aisha was intrigued, he never imagined Nathan’s changes. He had been subpar all his life with no regards to anything and yet he’s now eyeing the representative position for a math competition. Double shock, she doesn’t know whether to feel happy that her student is changing for the better or annoyed if Nathan is only doing this for show.

She took note of this in her mind and will not miss the battle later, thankfully her schedule is only full for the morning today, she has no class to teach in the afternoon.

After listening to her student, she regained her composure and asked everyone to pay attention, all issues not related to her subject should be thrown to the window. The glares died down and the class continued as usual.

The class was over and the professor dismissed them all.

Nathan talked to Warlock, who was preparing for lunch.

“Can you help me with something later?” Nathan asked.

Warlock grinned, “Do you want me to help you study against Selene? Though, will it work? There’s only 1 hour left, minus the time we’ll use to eat our lunch, that will get us measly 30 mins.”

“I’m not talking about that,” Nathan corrected.

Warlock stopped joking as he felt that the thing Nathan would talk about is something serious, he asked Nathan, “What is it?”

“Can you gather some men to the old building near the riverbank?” Nathan's questions awakened Warlock and the latter’s expression changed.

“This is some serious task you’re asking of me, there needs to be a reason, Nathan.” Though their friendship is a bit fresh, Warlock can say he knows Nathan. Nathan doesn’t even talk to Warlock not until the latter talks first.

Nathan’s face tensed up and said, “Maddox’s gang messed with my brother, if you’re not helping me then I’ll find them alone.” He thanked Warlock anyway.

Nathan was about to go away but Warlock stopped him, “Who said I’m not helping, you didn’t say who we are getting so I was a little hesitant but if it’s the gang lead by Maddox then there’ll be no problem. Besides, your brother is also my brother, of course I’ll help,” Warlock said cheerfully.

Nathan smiled which shocked Warlock, he never saw Nathan smile.

“So, what kind of ‘mess’ did Maddox’s gang give our younger brother?” Warlock asked.

“Enough for him to be bedridden for a week at most.” Nathan revealed.

“What hospital did they go to? Let me help. I know a few good doctors.” Warlock said as he dialed a number.

1