Chapter 3: The Journey Had Ended, But Villains Still Exist…!
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everyone knows the typical Hero's Journey.

You have your familiar world, then a vast unfamiliar world, a mentor of some sorts that helps everyone get used to the unfamiliarity of this 'new world' the ‘Epic Hero’ uncovered, and your world-saving quest.

It's simplistic and straightforward, because...

Everyone wanted to save the world, didn't they? 

Who wouldn't? 

The world is where we live, after all! 

That's also what Alex had initially believed when he reincarnated into the 'unfamiliar world' of Gaia, after being killed in his 'familiar world' of Earth. Though the results weren't really as good as he thought...

In the end of the day: Heroes tended to fade in obscurity if the 'great evil' they faced stopped going around showcasing their strength. Killing whenever they could and wearing 'evil' like it's in style. 

Evildoers usually showcase that they could INDEED cause a large catastrophe… even after the hero had saved everyone. They are expressive and bold, but also flawed in a way clear for everything to see.

Without a great evil, there is no greater good.

Without that, the worth of a 'Epic Hero' drops, and even if the 'innocent' bystanders DO really respect them, no one actually needs to thank of them. This was especially true if they had taken the task upon themselves without being prompted by others.

Reality was sometimes stranger than fiction, but that fact of fiction… It was something that can only be admired when contrasting it to the lens of the 'real world'. After all, fantasy settings had their tropes.

Just like how news outlets showed the tropes of real life. Heroes being found as only constructs of the mind. It's giving worth to the actions done by someone holding power. Not the weak bystanders.

'Epic Heroes' in particular would construct a grand narrative for themselves in secrecy, which usually meant an even grander nemesis. This was what happened when you gave the pen to a character.

They created the most unrealistic scenarios to face.

Stories most applicable to solely fictional works...

After all, no one in your reality had such tall tales in retrospect. Your 'nemesis' was usually just some guy you disliked. It's all just exaggerated by the one talking. Kinda sad, when speaking about it honestly.

Anyway, my point was that it's best not to think that a normal person could be 'responsible' for saving the world. The burden was too heavy, and Alex had learned the hard way. Heroism beaten out of him.

In his SECOND epic journey, Alex's quest to 'saving the world' was taken offensively by the Luminous Church. They seemed to have dibs on who exactly was the one who saves it. This to no one's surprise.

Alex realised he had been too optimistic...

His strong beliefs caused him immense suffering.

That's why Alex unknowingly experienced firsthand how generally horrifying it was to be a 'genuine hero'. Always giving; never taking. Having the life slowly sucked out of him by the 'weak' and 'helpless'.

In fact, the renowned figure who gained greater fame and popularity after Alex had beaten down that psychotic group of Cultists... was actually a very famous leader of a band of ‘Holy Knights’.

It was the figure who wasn't even present when innocents started dying. That too in the hands of those 'Crazies'... Appreciation was given to THIS clean freak instead! A knight who'd later be his...

Screw it. None of that mattered anymore.

Despite having saved many villages, Alex had barely gotten anything from it. To give the knight who stole his popularity some due credit, he DID act as Alex's dignified mentor figure. He really wasn't all bad.

That 'Master of all Trades' gave him a lot of advice throughout their journey to fight and survive against the forces of evil. But where are the mentor figures when they're actually needed in the finale?

The terrible end to Alex's journey mostly had to do with his mentor’s lack of presence. He had to fight a cult leader with only his childhood friend. Though I guess he'd be thankful if he knew of 'the meta'. 

This fictional reality could've done worse...

Mentor figures would normally end up dead (most the time) to add more of a reason why they had to beat the baddy and act as fodder, or maybe even act as the igniter for a protagonist's innate potential..

Either way, mentors never really had the optimistic fates when it came to how their lives ended. Alex should also be glad that his friend, Arthur, also survived that final encounter in the past... 

...since best friends were great tragedy fuel. 

The sadness of losing someone would normally empower an 'Epic Hero'. A mentor's death could also activate a 'Heroic Second Wind' Trope. Especially if the ‘Final Boss’ was way too powerful to ignore.

Even though that kinda gave mixed messages to the readers. After all, wasn't death a bad thing? Why was someone dying always so 'helpful'? Damn, our protagonist was seriously one helluva lucky guy...!

But if the lack of fame and popularity was the only problem with doing selfless acts of heroism, then Alex wouldn't have really cared much. His father already drilled heroism into him from his past life.

There was another REAL reason he hung his quite obvious 'chosen one' status and called it a day. It was because... he ended up making enemies with a bunch of crazy psycho cultists as a result of his 'journey'.

They were vermin who wouldn't let Alex go until he changed how he looked and stopped standing out like wannabe hero. Responsibilities had to be taken for offending the 'bad guys' of this fantasy world.

Because there existed certified 'Heroes' in this world of magic, maybe taking the responsibility wasn't the best choice. They eventually realised these certified people like their Mentor acted like lightning rods.

Alex and Arthur wouldn't have went through much in retrospect if they knew earlier. With their Mentor taking the 'credit' for their heroism, those evildoers eventually changed targets to fight knights instead.

The random Cult members scattered across the globe gave both him and Arthur a headache back in the heydays of their great adventure. Well, that's if you can call running for your life everyday from remnants left behind of the Cult an 'adventure'.

Being a wannabe hero really sucked!

Now, let's get back to the main plot. 

Let's see how Alex dealt with the situation at hand.

How could he get his friends out of danger...?

"I guess it's time bring out my secret weapon!" Alex thought in front of the open restaurant. He made a few gestures with his hands, then used his finger to draw upon the energies of the world around him.

A pitch black rune formed of the 'Dark Attribute' appeared on the palm of his hand... before being replaced with fresh, meaty, succulent, deluxe chicken curry. It smelled unbelievably tasty! 

Even Alex himself drooled a little upon seeing it appear from his own 'space'. He had been saving this for dinner, but the situation called for drastic measures to be taken. Great sacrifices were needed.

"3, 2, 1..." Alex counted in his head.

Watching as his friend started to sniff the air.

The figure clad in light leather armour, Arthur, shot out of the restaurant like a cannon bullet and grabbed the little pot in his hand. His arm waved and let out a scent of food. Having ate it before.

His mannerisms were crude and inelegant to me...

The brawny youth didn't even give his old friend in front him a glance. Arthur's gaze fixed on the meal in front of him like a predator. He first decided to gulp the entire meat pot in a singular swift motion. 

Alex was once again shocked by his old friend's personal 'magic'. Being able to make food instantly disappear upon making contact with his mouth... It was a sort of phenomenon around the dude's mouth.

"Bro!!! How have you been?! You look skinnier than before... D'ya know what, man? I found a great place that sells the best, nicest, tastiest deserts in the kingdom! You should come in with me!" Arthur returned the pot back after emptying the contents.

Leaving Alex to hold the empty pot speechlessly.

The brawny old friend of his was speaking loudly in excitement. His eyes were on fire. They were like his personality. An attitude as spicy as ghost peppers. It was as Alex had expected: Arthur was still the same goddamn knucklehead as before~! Never changing...

"That place is run by 'crazies'." Alex spoke while returning the empty pot to his 'Portable Space'. He tried to shrug off the nostalgia, but it was hard NOT to feel reminiscent when Arthur pressed his buttons.

"Say what...?" His friend did a double-take.

"I just checked their 'stats'." Alex whispered.

"My luck can't be that bad, right...?" Arthur yelped.

"It is." Alex had interpreted this situation as a possible threat about to unfold. There were no way these people had good intentions. His experience of being chased around the globe was proof of that.

"Silver Art- Arcane Fingers!" He thought.

Alex 'set' a Dark Rune on his hand before any dangers occurred. This was a shortcut to him, and the only reason he didn't have it on all the time was because it made him have to split his focus.

The technique was pretty useful in the end.

"You've gotta be kidding me...!" Like now, when Alex was focusing on Arthur's exaggerated reactions and his hand simultaneously. As the brawny youth was pondering, his friend's mind was on full alert. 

"This is no joke... Though they seem to be more docile than before, that doesn't change the fact that they've killed a bunch of people. We should alert the authorities about this secret base of th-" Alex spoke.

"Hold up!" Arthur raised his hand to stop him.

He continued with an unusually stern expression:

"Let's fight them and make a name for ourselves! We will just blow them up like we did years ago...!" The brawny youth wasn't quiet. The lack of any maturity or sense was so like Arthur; he started to reminisce.

"Wait, that's not the point!" Alex thought and snapped out of his hesitation. They weren't reckless kids anymore. There were laws in this kingdom, and they weren't fighting in a forest without bystanders.

Alex started to monologue:

"You want me to become an arsonist?"

"The Church still won't get off my back about accidentally blowing up one of their ‘Medicine Sanctuaries’, and YOU want me to have charges pressed against me for blowing up a restaurant?”

"Did our 'adventure' teach you nothing!?" Alex asked him rhetorically. Berating him like the brawny friend of his was a child. This made Arthur's face flush, but it was hard to tell if he was angry or embarrassed.

"Then I'll blow them up myself!" Arthur then decided NOT to ask Alex for help in any way, shape or form. A fiery yellow aura manifested itself from his body. His eyes burned with countless emotions.

This was unlike how Alex had envisioned his brawny buddy, who should've mellowed by now. There were people who matured with time, and others who double-downed on the stunts they'd do as children.

...Or was recklessness part of his core values?

( º _ º)

Alex and me watched on for a few seconds in utter speechlessness at that dominating presence. There wasn't a need to be so serious, but idiots be what idiots do. He wasn't backing down about this issue.

"Arthur, get your shit together!" Alex displayed his canine teeth. His eyes narrowed towards his buddy and whole body started glowing in a mystical, runic radiance. One that was smaller in scale than earlier.

It wasn't as explosive and bombastic as Arthur's presence, but it had much more depth to it. That gaze was sharper than a razor. A mystique of ancient magic exuded that made itself known without fury.

A stark contrast to Arthur.

But in the end, Alex became shocked after realising that his childhood friend seemed to be overflowing with boundless magical power. So much that it made his own presence seem minuscule in comparison.

This made him suspicious.

"What happened to you?" Alex thought. It was hard to believe this aura belonged to a human. There was a strong density to the Mana around him. Not sharp like it was mastered properly, but chaotic like waves.

The size of his presence so large that the regular citizen couldn't sense it. The power was far too beyond their scope to understand. An amount that shouldn't be possible for a mere 'Gaia Human'...

Alex was glad that it was only his vision that could see this beastly strength exuded right now. There wasn't a citizen of Lancia alive that wouldn't tuck tail and run at the sight of this. He had to stop this.

If not, there would've been mass panic...

His runic sight allowed him to 'read' an individual's abilities, and what he was seeing made him grit his teeth. Eyes shaking while trying to comprehend what he was seeing. There was disbelief in those eyes.

What he read above his buddy was the following:

{Spell Slots: 2 

(1. Dark Slot- Doomsday Draw

2. Blood Slot- Draining Slash) 

Intrinsic Skill: 1

(1. Light Enchantment- Nature Imbue)

Body Slots: 5 

(1. Wind Slot- Hurricane Cleaver

2. Water Slot- Sea Splitter

3. Earth Slot- Mountain Breaker

4. Fire Slot- Inferno Slicer

5. Lightning Slot- Storm Dicer)}

"Y-you... Arthur, how- I mean, what happened to you while I was gone?" Alex had trouble controlling his expression at this point. Betraying the emotions he felt underneath his calm and composed exterior.

"That can't be right..." The latter part of those stats were a first. It was theoretically possible to create sources of magical power known as 'Magic Slots' artificially, but that was only on paper.

Never had it been done before in reality.

"Did he get some help?" Alex believed there was no way Arthur attained this on his own. There was definitely someone who experimented on him. That was the only way this hypothesis could be proven.

"..." Arthur silently changed his mind. All of a sudden, the flames of determination in his eyes had died down. They were misted by sadness. He seemed to be hiding something, and was unable to share it.

"You're not calm anymore. I feel like your personality switched as soon as I brought those Crazies up. What happened? I mean, you never liked them before, but... this is my first time seeing you actively want to beat them up like I once did."

"..." Arthur didn't respond to his worries whatsoever.

"You're definitely hiding something important from me right now, aren't you?" Alex decided that now wasn't the best time to talk about his increase of power. He instead opted to learning about why Arthur wanted to fight 'them' in the first place.

It was better to get a complete picture of why his bud seemed like he was losing his sanity. Where did this obsession originate? Though it was true they were chased in the past, it was unlike him to hold a grudge. Usually, Arthur would put all that aside.

"And so what if I am? ...Mind your own business." A dark expression appeared on Arthur's face. His head swiftly turned towards the restaurant. Those eyes hiding away something that seemed to fill his heart with greater malice towards these 'evil' Cultists.

"Don't go." Alex's hand grabbed his shoulder before he straight up charged in there. A big incident would happen if he wasn't stopped. Right now they were inside a city with no way to prove their claim. Those tattoos he saw earlier could be hidden quite easily.

"Don't try to stop me...!" Arthur started to pull away.

"I don't know why you want to beat them up so badly, but I'll help you out. I'm your best friend, after all. So tell me this: What's your plan of action now that you have a goal to obtain?" Alex beat the bush.

He needed to know what his friend was thinking.

There was no way he'd let this dumb Warrior fight by himself. That's why... he'd join in as well! Two were better than one, and he wouldn't stop Arthur if he was serious. Nor would he ask about it further.

"I want to destroy that cult once and for all." Arthur tried to put up a righteous front, but Alex knew better than to believe this excuse. A beast never cared about right or wrong, so why would this guy?

Still, Alex accepted that answer.

"And how will you do that? By randomly going around and destroying each of their hidden bases? I knew you weren't much of a thinker, but this plan of yours is too stupid to ever work out. You'll end up endlessly fighting without any hope of winning."

"I'm strong enough to fight them all myself!" That much was true. Arthur's response here wasn't wrong at all, but he was neglecting something: One young man would never be able to win against a crowd.

The scholar, Alex, started to explain it in monologue:

"You're not. Even having seven 'Magic Slots' doesn't mean you're invincible. When we first fought these crazy guys, we never outright raided their base or 'fairly' fought them while appearing in public."

"The only reason we're living peacefully right now is because we now look older and 'cleaner' compared to those years. The times we'd run around with mucky clothes in the Dark Forest to get them off our backs."

"If you're suicidal enough to ONCE AGAIN throw us into an abyss of no return, then just go right on ahead... Don't blame me for not warning you." Alex knew persuasion wouldn't work unless it hit hard.

Thus, he 'beat his friend up' with facts and logic based on their previous experiences together. Even guilt-tripping him about pulling him along. There was a time for thinking and a time for fighting.

Now wasn't the time to cause chaos.

"Then what do you expect me to do?! I'll never stop until that damned ‘Mirror Cult’ is destroyed!" Arthur roared while being dragged away. A barrier of wind conjured by Alex stopped his voice from booming.

Those inside the restaurant heard nothing from them. Not even the rustle of their clothes or the heaviness of their steps. Only a few sensitive people with good senses noticed that a barrier was put up.

"Let me give you some advice." Alex whispered.

"What advice...?" Arthur finally halted his steps.

"Destroy the core of their power. Everything else will fall into place once their leader is defeated." This great 'advice' from Alex was the most barebones strategy on the fly, but the listener was invested.

Arthur agreed with him.

This would have worked at other times, but...

"Oh...? You mean like we tried before? You want us to go on a wild goose chase? Find a fake leader again? A guy dressed like the biggest villain just to act as a trap for us... It's like last time, right?" Arthur was spiteful even though that wasn't anyone's fault.

It was only after speaking those words did Arthur realise his mistake. What came out of his mouth was just his anger. He was simply venting onto his best friend, but couldn't bring himself to apologise. 

He didn't feel at fault.

That's why Arthur stood there emotionally. Not saying a word of appreciation. He didn't change the subject with great social skills. Only keeping his mouth shut. Awaiting the response he'd get.

He was unaware of Alex's own thoughts...

"Then what about this: For now, we'll just see what those Crazies up to and work our way up from there..." Alex still remembered the 'ending' of their last adventure. He wasn't about to do that again.

If he could, Alex really wished he could go back and avoid coming into contact with the Mirror Cult altogether. Well, that was a wish. It didn't mean he could do anything about getting involved again.

The only thing he could do was be more careful.

He wasn't a sweaty, dirty kid in a forest anymore.

However, just as they were about to stop bickering in front of their enemy's headquarters, a kind voice of that seemed oddly familiar to them entered their ears. Alex couldn't help but tremble uncontrollably.

He turned to see a man advertising close to him.

A long advertisement ensued:

"Hear me, ladies and gentlemen who wish for peace, tranquility, and the serenity of fortune! The 'Radiant Sword Mirror Religion' invites new members to join us. We are to bring paradise to this world!"

"Those who join now will be given a free Magic Slot upon becoming part of our grand circle of friends and acquaintances!" A mysterious yet familiar man, with the overall look of a gentleman, spoke loudly.

The priest peacefully handed out leaflets to the citizens who were curiously hanging around to see what was up, which boggled Alex's mind. There was no way he wouldn't recognise a 'Senior Crazy'.

Why were they publicising themselves like they were doing a pyramid scheme? Had they all gone even crazier? No, he already believed them to be bonkers anyway. There was no point thinking any deeper.

Most of Lancia's citizens were uninterested in joining another religion other than the 'Luminous Church'. However, there were a few who seemed to be moved by the last part of the man's words. 

After all, a magic slot wasn't something easy to get ahold of for those without a combat related profession… or a unique class. It was bestowed to them by royalty or achieved through greatness.

Achievements, promises, and concepts beyond simple 'desire' were what created magic slots. Not going about one's day peacefully without a thought of responsibility. Without a great ambition achieved.

Those who gained magic slots despite not having a combat class were as rare as phoenix feathers and dragon scales. It was way more convenient to get one by joining the ‘Radiant Sword Mirror Religion’.

That, or becoming a holy knight that worked for the Luminous Church. Which was for 'fanatics' who simply weren't cool enough to be mainstream. Not everyone wanted to walk the difficult routes of life...

It was why a free magic slot was so tempting.

Oxygen pumped red lines in Arthur's eyes. He also recognised the voice of the priest. This person, who was advertising a new 'Religion' to the common folk crowded on the streets, was beyond human reason.

It was then that Alex got ahold of himself pulled his brawny friend behind his body. He didn't want Arthur to alert the cult thoughtlessly. Let them know the kids they'd been chasing for years were back. 

This action wouldn't be frightening them off. 

The cult was too malicious for that kind of thing.

"Stop it...! Don't be an idiot and do something you'll regret. I'll handle this matter." This time, it was Alex who had a dark look in his eyes. However, unlike the brawny youth beside him, he had put on a fake expression on his face. One full of amazement.

Alex headed straight towards the man in question with a casual stride. A figure that looked like one of the curious onlookers. One who had no clue of who the man was. His presence blended in seamlessly.

"Excuse me." Alex spoke in a calm yet puzzled tone to the gentlemanly priest handing out leaflets. The man's smile didn't fade. There was a respectful look on the priest's face while dealing with everyone.

"Do you wish to join our religion?" A beaming smile appeared on the cultist's face after hearing him. That looked showed that either this priest had no memory or recollection of him, or he was simply mistaken.

He hoped it was the latter, saying:

"Maybe... But before I make a decision: I'm curious about a few things. May I ask some questions?"

"Please go right ahead~! All are welcome into the new sanctuaries that will be made in the ‘Northern District’ of the Capitol. Anyone is free to come there anytime to pray talk to our priests for advice of any kind regarding the problems they face." He sighed.

"Sure." Alex simply ignored the priest's answer inwardly, but outwardly displayed a look of understanding. Acting like it was his first time coming into contact with this bogus religion.

He dissected their actions:

"Okay, to start off with: Aren't you aware that the Luminous Church considers all religions apart from their own heresy. They even see any of those who follow 'foreign teachings' to be clear heretics... Aren't you afraid of repercussions for just being here to spread a new religion?" The sincerity in Alex's tone seemed so real that… even Arthur might have believed he was asking out of concern, rather than to venomously scare their potential believers away.

Unexpectedly, the priest had countered:

"There is no reason to worry~! Though it’s true the Luminous Church may be the most widely spread and ancient religion of humanity… what we have is the approval of the His Highness, Drake Lancelot."

"With the crown prince of the Human Empire's one and only 'Ruling' Kingdom, we are certified enough to build our own sanctuaries. We are even allowed to spread our teachings through missionary work."

"I even have a ‘Royal Seal’ on me to prove the authenticity of my words!" The gentlemanly man pulled out a golden badge that had the insignia of the royal familyp embedded above. It was shining a distinct gold glow. Different from what he'd seen.

Moreover, his words seemed sincere...

Alex's eyes went wide...

He studied the royal seal in the priest's hand thoroughly and inspected it with all his might, yet was unable to believe his eyes. Then realised that the familiar Cultist before him was telling the truth. 

The special metal that made the badge in the man's hand couldn't be reproduced, nor was it easy to parade around a fake symbol of authority without being found out... The priest really got permission.

But how?!

"Unbelievable...!" The story took a strange turn for the worst. Alex realised the implications of the man's words. Had Lancia already fallen into the cult's hands? This question made him shiver in his boots.

Was the world in danger again despite the previous arduous journey they went through? If so, then wouldn't that mean a fifth- no, all of humanity was about to be brainwashed by these evil Cultists?

This was called the 'Ruling Kingdom of the Human Empire' for a reason. The influence here could spread far and wide. Alex's eyes clouded while falling deep into thought. Unable to figure out what to do.

Alex realised that his previous conjectures on the Cult's overall influence had been entirely wrong. He had the mind to stop holding up his facade, turn around, and talk to Arthur about what to do next.

It was at that moment that the gentlemanly man smiled at them in a different way than before. The change was a scheming and cunning smile. Looking at Alex's thoughtful look with a sense of superiority.

"Surprising, wasn't it? Alex Stuman and Arthur Rainglow, I guess the tables have turned~" The gentlemanly man's last whisper lingered in his ears and caused Alex to convulse uncomfortably.

Bad memories were resurfacing.

Though his stiffed up face betrayed none of these myriad of emotions, Alex backed away quickly. He was readying his finger to draw Runes once again if he needed to escape with Arthur. Ready for a fight.

There was already a type of Rune already set...

"Please don't be alarmed. 'We' are not here to pursue the matters of the past anymore. 'We' merely want to have a chat with the mysterious magical prodigy. A young and talented one who once blew up many of our Sanctuaries." The priest showed no emotions.

A sharp glint appeared in the priest's eyes. He had been aware of their identities all along. The words from the cultist didn't calm Alex down though. He drew closer to Arthur with an even sharper look.

What awaits them after their worst enemy initiated contact with them? This even Gaia didn't know.

Perhaps only the Author could comment on this...

0