Chapter 5: Ascenders
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Spirit Essences, the so-called 'Foundation' of all abilities acquired by the user. They were the weapons within all 'human souls' of Gaia and were the reason people were innately born with a 'Class'.

Let us take a look at Arthur's 'stats' as an example:

{Spirit Essence- Rainwing Backsword:

• Innate Ability- Gaia Affinity

Spell Slots- (Foundational Attribute- Light), Dark, Blood, 

Body Slots- Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Lightning

Common Class- Sword Warrior:

• Class Skill- Sword Talent

• Class Skill- Slash Sharpening}

These kind of non-observable 'stats' were abnormal among people of Gaia... excluding Arthur, who somehow attained two more Spell Slots even the strongest Ranker to ever exist in human history!!!

In fact, Alex wasn't sure of the true limits of Arthur's power despite his knowledge of magic. He was only sure the drawback would be that this immense power would be difficult to use in application. 

This was especially true in terms of Magic Skills or Sword Skills of this world... and this made sense to him. 'Magic Pathways' could be consciously used to exude Mana, but muscles were a different matter.

It was exactly like how humans couldn't consciously tap into adrenaline or their highest physical exertion. This limitation was solely dependent on the danger of each situation. How much they trained.

Even the Crown Prince, a man of the Royal Family of the Ruling Kingdom of Lancia; the one who inherited the strongest kind of 'Force Formula' in the entire Human Empire, didn't know what would have happened if he had seriously fought Arthur himself.

This was especially true without using the royal family's signature 'force manipulation' magic. His confidence waned at the prospect of battle. One could say he was being realistic than prideful.

Even in the entire five kingdoms that made up the Human Empire, there were few who could make Drake feel this way. This was just how keen his eyes were when it came to the strength of others.

Despite the heavy restriction he put on the brawny youth, Drake remembered the strong exertion of magical strength he needed to maintain his seal on him. This amount of effort was a first for him...

"I guess freaks travel together..." Was the only answer Drake could come up with regarding the Warrior's unreal physical strength. He wondered just how Alex had enhanced a mere 'Commoner'.

Was it some kind of secret experiment? He was sure such knowledge would be useful in war, but decided against pissing the Arcanist off. Nothing was worth offending such a rich man with unknown authority...

Drake convinced himself that he wasn't fearful of Arthur: The foolish brute of a Common Class Sword Warrior. It would damage his pride if it was the truth. He was a Crown Prince. He couldn't be fearful.

Would Drake lose in close-combat? It was just a speculation, but still something he wondered quite a bit despite having more natural innate talent the swordsman he encountered not too long ago.

You could even say that he wouldn't be able to believe that someone could overcome the naturally formed 'barrier' between those who were prodigies and those who just happened to be a bit talented...

In his personal office in the Royal Palace, Drake seemed listless and lacking in energy. Playing with glowing sapphire marble in his hand, it radiated a mixture of golden and blueish hue. Converging light.

This magical gem was a one of the few 'gifts' given to him by the gentlemanly Cultist. The price in return for was gaining his, the future ruler's, favour and support to resist against the Luminous Church.

A Cult should very well be 'Evil' no matter how one saw it. They SHOULD'VE been a fanatical group he'd have to put a stop to... However, Drake was keeping his intentions unclear and allowing them opportunity. Something his father would disapprove.

Did he have a clear reason for his actions?

One thing for sure was that no one knew exactly what he was up to. The secret behind his own independent was... enigmatic. Not even those who watched him everyday could figure out his motives.

One thing for sure was that he lied.

After all, people who worshiped a so-called 'Demon Lord'... weren't what came to mind when one thought of 'good citizens' he was destined to one day come to rule. It was a strange occurrence.

However, it looked like having negative bias against this specific Cult would lead that person to feel total confusion. Especially since they seemed to actually carry out their unrealistic ideals with conviction.

Were all of them idealists...?

Did the crown prince sympathise with them?

It was pretty concerning. This was the first time anyone saw such blurred lines between good and evil. His actions didn't just affect a state, but the entirety of humanity united in the Human Empire.

"Master, may I ask what that is?" A smiling girl with platinum blonde hair and wolf ears, who suddenly appeared behind the Crown Prince, asked in curiosity. Her eyes were filled with 'innocence'.

The girl's tail wagged side to side joyfully. She leaned on his shoulder while ignoring his status. Her silvery platinum hair and features stood out... but it wasn't the only thing that made the scene seem strange.

If this was anyone else, he would have grabbed them and done an over-arm thrown already. Not showing even the least bit of grace as a prince. However, this young woman had been appointed as his guard by himself personally. She wasn't simply a servant.

"That Priest said this thing was something called a 'Shining Bliss Healing Gem', a treasure that could cure nearly all illnesses. It can heal someone no matter how grave their injuries may be." Such an item was like having a Healer on standby.

Truthfully, someone of Drake's stature did not even need this bead. A hired Healer would do. They could refresh their Spell Slot everyday and not disappear after one use. This made him look at it curiously.

"This can't be all there is to it." Was what his face seemed to say. Only for him to realise something and become satisfied with the product. There was an inherent quality difference that was at play here.

"From what I heard, this gem contains the power to 'erase' all that would otherwise be harmful for the body." Drake replied without minding her informal actions. He'd quickly woken up from his daze. 

The 'Royal' threw the Healing Gem in his hand into the young girl's palm. This let her have a better look at the item he obtained. The sparkling stone seemed more like jewellery than such a treasure.

The silver wolf girl's eyes glittered, and so did mine.

 (✪‿✪)

There seemed to be sparkling stars in her eyes. It made her already 'bright' appearance shinier. She looked over the gemstone gifted in interest. Knowing that this object was not a consumable 'Heal' Spell.

It was an 'Erasure' Spell.

There were conditions in this world that couldn't be healed normally. Light-based Heals had the property of increasing natural regeneration. It forced the body into a healthier state and couldn't be used infinitely.

This gem, on the other hand, had a different property. The base of the power was a demonic light derived directly from their 'God... or Demon Lord to be exact. This increased the value to that of a National Treasure. Worthy of being kept as a gift.

"Is this a bribe?" The girl couldn't help but ask. The only reason to send such a gift was to get on the prince's good side. Something she couldn't ignore as the person responsible for the prince's safety.

"No, it seems that priest wanted to give me this out of goodwill... oddly enough. He isn't monopolising them for self-interests." Was what he said, but the face he made wasn't exactly brimming with trust.

"I've heard of people of art-related Classes gaining jobs after becoming part of their Cult. It looks like they AREN'T hypocrites that put their beliefs above human lives." Drake spoke blandly about them.

He compared the accounts of the Radiant Sword Mirror Cult's past deeds with their current ones. It looked like they could at least hide their intentions well. This would also play a part in winning the public's favour. Becoming the foundation of faith.

At first, he was a little distrustful. To think they would sink their teeth into the biggest population of Lancia: Those with art-related Classes. However, one minute of contemplation changed his opinion.

It was unknown exactly what he was thinking. There was no way an imperialist prince, who wanted control over an empire, would willingly give up a portion of the populace. In fact, that was downright foolish of a decision even if they worked together.

My opinion of him was changing rapidly from this. If he was 'trusting' them, I'd have a lot of issues. If this was part of some elaborate plan, I wish he'd share it with someone instead of making me look around.

Investigating characters is a chore.

The Ruling Kingdom of the Human Empire was built upon the foundation of entertainment and relaxation compared to the other kingdoms. They didn't need a big military since they were located in the centre of human territory. Far from anywhere with wars.

This allowed some lenience.

It was here where people got their favourite movies recorded before being broadcasted all around the Human Empire. Which still amazes me... Goes to show any kind of world could exist in fiction.

By controlling all entertainment, Drake was able to put his hand into giving motivational speeches and propaganda towards the other kingdoms. Especially the ones who put more emphasis on battle power.

This was truly how the fifth kingdom 'ruled' the other four that made the Human Empire. Only  with the 'Divine Right to Rule Humanity' from the God of humanity wasn't enough. It was a small benefit.

Did he still have animosity for the Mirror Cult because of this? It would make sense... but his actions weren't showing any signs of distrust in them. There had to be something I was missing here.

The knowledge he was given about the Cult's origins and how it was 'reformed' by the actions of one human with great ambitions... made him feel a little skeptical if what he was doing was righteous.

When simplifying the 'Demonic' Priest's words, all he knew was that their Cult Leader had undergone a transformation of his mental state. That evil 'God' became good after retrospectively looking at his life.

This sounded absurd to me, and to any Crown Prince that understood humanity. The mysterious Leader of the Radiant Sword Mirror Cult was actually being worshipped as a 'Demon Lord'. They did this now despite their claim to be on the side of justice.

........Was this a joke?

I found it to be almost comical how contradicting they were acting... After all, the Cult's core beliefs relied on powers that were most certainly a manifestation of the 'evil' in the world. 

Drake's eyes seemed to have the same thought.

He didn't have sympathy for the Seven Sins that priest had spoke of, but what he could relate to was their desire to bring coexistence between the races of Gaia. That much I could at least be certain about.

"Jenna, what did you think of that magician named Alex?" He pushed the girl's hands off his shoulder and asked. The silver Wolf Beast named Jenna was surprised by his question and answered honestly.

"He's quite a weakling." Of course, Jenna didn't think that a 'normal' magic user was much to think about. None of them could compare to the Royal Family. Here, extraordinary Mages were common.

"Because of that illness of his?" Drake didn't deny her outright. Her beliefs were spartan, but they came from competence. She wasn't wrong to think that their magic users were collectively of higher quality.

"Of course! There's no way someone without a Spirit Essence or Spell Slots can compare to people who do. So what is he has Magic Skills? I don't understand why both Master and that old geezer have animosity towards that weak guy..." Jenna was convinced that Alex had nothing to show for. There was nothing in this world that physics could beat.

You couldn't fight an ogre without Mana, and the advancements into science were so abysmal that they were obsolete. A magician with no magical energy was akin to a joke. To her, Alex had no value to speak of. It was better to forget he even existed.

"Heh, you haven't understood his terror... What if I was to say he was able to comprehend the magic I casted on them today?" Drake smiled and continued in amusement. Looking at her reactions closely.

Jenna behind him widened her eyes. 

Her mouth started to twitch...

"I know it sounds unbelievable, but what I said is the truth. His most useful Skill, those eyes of his, were something I've had Doctor Frank and Professor Stein investigate many years ago... and the result they obtained was that it was... 'unique'." They had managed to find out his Class after he registered with the Guild, but not what his abilities entailed.

This made him more cautious. There was no need to trigger an unknown variable like this. It was uncertain if they could deal with him before he'd ruin their plans. Therefore, he should be left alone.

"All I know was that the Skill allowed a person to truly understand the intricacies of magic without the use of Mana. He might even become stronger than me if after realising his potential and overcoming his 'illnesses'." These words showed his true feelings.

There wasn't anyone in the world similar to Alex whatsoever. He truly was a 'unique' individual, and someone worth befriending. It was too early to send an assassination unit. They had to TRY to be close.

"If that's the case, why did Master want me to personally check this great individual?" Jenna circled his desk in order to stand before him, then she inquired with a really cute tone in her voice.

"Don't act all cutesy in front of me. Your mask of being air-headed isn't fooling anyone." Drake wasn't fond of this 'innocent' side of this Head Knight of his Royal Guards. It was too fake and insincere.

Though it DID make sense considering her side occupation as a spy. A 'shadow' working for him, and one who was taught strictly in order to be highly adept in espionage. All to not leave behind any traces... because she had more than one duty.

"Hah... Fine." She gave up her act and rolled her eyes, saying: "I can smell his 'weirdness' a mile away!" Jenna revealed her true thoughts. Her toes drew circles under one of her feet while lowering her head to accept wrongdoings. She shouldn't have lied.

Nor hid what she felt.

"He smells like a Beast, and yet I am absolutely certain he's Human! Something is wrong here. How can somebody like that exist 'naturally'?" There were a lot is suspicious points besides lacking Mana.

"I wouldn't believe Master if you said those 'mad scientists' of the Prison Laboratory and the Undying Playground aren't trying to capture him as we speak." Jenna continued in a low tone while betraying her hidden sense of insecurity. 

She was sweating bullets when talking about them.

Drake noticed it and interrupted with monologues:

"I've already gave our two capable Royal Tutors a clear order to NOT antagonise him. There wouldn't be a point of my meeting with him today if he ended up turning him against us because of those..."

"Ahem, I mean our 'competent researchers'."

"They should have the tact not to ruin my efforts."

"Now enough of this chitchat. How are the results in finding that runaway 'sister' of yours? Have you found any traces of her?" Drake decided to change the subject as thinking of those two hurt his brain.

"I'm sorry... We're doing all we can to find her. There doesn't seem to be any clues left behind after she escaped. The accomplice she had with her also doesn't seem to have an identity. " Seeing the dark look of her master, Jenna continued more seriously:

"I've even went as far as hiring Desiring Tongue's best intelligence agents and still haven't found a single hint. I still wonder even now of what's the identity of that teenager in the 'Aqua Recording'." A trace of disappointment appeared in her eyes.

Jenna really wished she could complete her master's task faster. It made her frustrated... She didn't care if her so-called 'sister' was injured in the process of finding out. That was a sacrifice she was willing for:

Everyone fought for themselves.

"Show it to me." Drake held out his hand. 

The wolf girl put the Healing Gem in her pocket before rummaging through her clothes to take out an orb similar to a sapphire, then respectfully put it into his hand without displaying any sloppiness.

The cautious Crown Prince looked at the less sparkly blue orb in his hand and focused his innate Mana to activate it, only to see the images of a youth and teenage girl breaking out of a prison cell.

They immediately started by ambushing the guards around him with speed and precision unimaginable to most. There was a sense of familiarity in the youth's movements he saw on the recording...

But what surprised him more wasn't that unique abilities and powers of the escapee who seemed to have hid her true strength. Instead, the unfamiliar young man's strength, despite not having heard of him before, made him narrow his eyes.

Drake was vaguely starting to recognise the particular 'technique' after thinking for a few moments. He felt there was something off about it initially, but further observation proved him right.

"A Sword Warrior again?" The Crown Prince's eyes widened. Freakish common classed individuals were appearing a lot... He felt a peculiar sensation from seeing another 'Common Class' with such power. 

In fact, a close inspection on the domineering young man in the recording seemed to uncover that this so-called 'Sword Warrior'... actually had better hand-to-hand fighting skills than swordsmanship. 

Quite the abnormal scene.

Why would a Sword Warrior fight hand-to-hand?!

"Wait, there is something strange about him." His eyes sharpened while watching the recording once again. He slowed down the speed of the recording at a certain point, then set it to repeat a particular scene. It was rewound back to when the youth stepped forward before lunging at his enemy at blinding speed. Quite the underhanded style.

It was only after rewatching the scene a few times did Drake gasp in recognition of the 'movement technique' the youth used to move towards the prison warden. It was one he wouldn't ever forget.

"Flash Step?! Impossible!" Jenna was shocked by this. Her Master suddenly slammed his hand onto the table in front of him with a fearful look she had never seen before. He staggered back fearfully...

It was her first time witnessing the always-confident Crown Prince actually losing his cool... but little did she know that seeing a 'Step Method' was enough to make anyone of the Royal Family's heritage panic!

This wasn't your run-of-the-mill 'Skill'!!!

"Master, what's wrong?" Jenna asked with a lowered voice, but was pushed to the side as he barged out of the room. His mind kept repeating the scene he saw in his head while thinking of an ominous future.

Thinking: "How can this be possible...? How can another one appear on Gaia after so long? 

Wasn't that incident fifteen years ago the only time Ascenders could cross the void to enter our world? 

Is the balance of power in the world going to shift once again? It looks like I was too naive. 

Bloodshed will be necessary to erase the wild cards that are going to get in the way of my plan. 

I need to get advice from the others."

Drake entered a specific room built for the reserve powers of Lancia, which would one day become 'his' kingdom. Those of the reserve forces being here only for emergencies the state couldn't handle on its own.

"Golden Snake!" Drake called out in panic.

After walking into the room, Drake's eyes found an old man meditating in silence. The man flinched upon hearing his troubled voice and slowly opened his eyes. A wizened light of seniority appeared in the old man's eyes. He slowly got up off the floor.

If the Crown Prince knew more about culture of Earth, then he'd surely find this purple-clothed old man to be quite familiar to those who have watched into old Chinese Action Dramas. His clothes being similar to high class wear you'd see in Ancient China.

One could clearly recognise him.

Not because the man was famous, but due to the way the Easterner looked like he came straight out of a typical Japanese Wuxia Novel. He seemed like a generic 'old monster' others would be wary of.

The man was definitely a genuine 'Asian'...

The white goatee on the man's chin and embroidery of a golden serpent on his chest made him especially stand out on Gaia, where there really wasn't any kind of places similar to Japan or China. 

It went without saying that this man was also one of the 'Ascenders' that Drake had been seriously thinking about while coming here. He was a man with martial arts so strong that he was able to 'ascend' to a higher realm to continue his training.

And that 'higher realm' was the world of Gaia.

"What's wrong, Your Highness?" Despite being a former resident of Earth, Golden Snake had no problems keeping his mannerisms in front of the Crown Prince of Gaia Humanity before him. 

Golden Snake might've felt annoyed by the fact he was interrupted during his training but he knew better than to complain. No one was as keenly aware of the massive differences between the might of few against the power of many better than he did.

When he first arrived on Gaia, he was arrogant enough to believe the entire world was just waiting to fall at his fingertips. This was mostly due to the strength he acquired through many years of hard work and training. It was the core to his being.

However, those beliefs was all thrown out the window after being defeated by the combined might of the army Lancia nurtured by placing strong people with good chemistry together into it.

His juniors and fellow internal martial artists of Earth, who had came with him, also weren't strong enough to tip the fickle circumstances in their favour. It was without much other options that he chose to settle down in Lancia Kingdom...

...as a 'reserve power'. 

An Earthling couldn't roam this world like a nomad because common sense was so different...

Moving on, the old monster wasn't sure what the youthful 'Future Ruler' was thinking right now.

Drake didn't answer Golden Snake's question and instead showed a holographic projection of the recording he saw. The scenes play out exactly the same as before. Nothing of the video being altered.

At first, the purple-robed old man didn't see anything wrong with the youth in the recording, but his wrinkly expression soon changed after viewing the scenes within it twice. There was no way someone like him wouldn't be able to recognise 'it'.

This was truly a 'Step Method'! 

Although it wasn't a high-level one used by a Grandmaster martial artist, it was still the kind of movement technique only Internal Martial Artists from Earth relied on to battle numerous foes.

"I feel that you're overestimating this person, Your Highness. Although the youngster within this recording is a Genuine Fighter from Earth, he has yet to reach a level where he could pose a threat." It was an estimation coming from his experiences.

"I feel it is best to not jump to conclusions. Not all Ascenders are worthy of your concern." He spoke. It was only then did the Crown Prince breathe a sigh of relief after reevaluating the situation at hand. 

Drake had to admit that he truly didn't think too far ahead after realising the possibility the young man could be an Ascender. The amount of casualties they could bring to his citizens couldn't be ignored.

This was why he was reluctant to fight them...

This didn't have to do with a lack of calmness in his personality to deal with various problems, but the true terror Ascenders posed to human society on Gaia as a whole. This was reflected in history.

A belief deeply ingrained into his psyche.

And this was understandable from my angle.

The average strength of an Ascender was usually on par with a 'Duke' Ranker. One who had attained the limits of what their Job Class could offer them. This one singular fact was only the tip the iceberg...

A bunch of Grandmaster martial artists wouldn't make a difference on the national scale of power. In a world where responsibilities taken meant more power, the Royal Family had their advantages.

Able to easily bring together a number of Dukes.

After all, most Rankers of the Royal Family made sure to keep their strength at a level far above those around them. This was in order to instil their sense of great authority into the ignorant masses. 

However, what really made Drake fearful of these Ascenders... was how it wouldn't take them long afterwards to become what was referred by martial artists as the 'King Class'. Which rivalled a deity.

That comparison wasn't a joke.

There existed a total of three Ranks higher than 'Dukes'. Usually, only those of Duke lineages had a chance to gain that Rank. This was due to the higher chance they have in their talent being passed down to their descendants. A succession of their talents.

Those above the Dukes were called 'Lords'.

'Lord' Rankers attained fame and wealth along with an increase on one's overall lifespan. It was hard to get there, but the fundamental difference between Lords and Dukes made the former unbeatable by the latter. They simply weren't playing the same game.

Drake himself was a 'monster' who reached the Lord Rank at the age of 12, thus cementing his position as the Crown Prince of the Lancia Kingdom. It was an unprecedented event his siblings couldn't replicate.

Although he himself had confidence in fighting two or three people of the same Rank as himself and couldn't even view Alex as much as a threat: Things changed if Ascenders were to be put into the picture... They usually caused collateral damage.

The knowledge of how the most Ascenders on Gaia were guaranteed to reach the 'King Class', a level of power stronger than ordinary Lord Ranks, had always made him feel uneasy even to this day.

...So that's why he reacted like that.

This, adding to the fact that this specific Ascender in the recording he watched also showed signs of having a 'Spirit Essence' and 'Class', was why he completely lost his composure. Realising quick that another variable would tip the national balance of power in favour even more. Ascenders seemed like the root of all misfortune on Gaia in his opinion.

"I understand... Please excuse my discourtesy, Grand Elder. I was unable to keep my composure at this piece of news." Despite being future Ruler of Lancia Kingdom, Drake still apologised for his earlier behaviour. His actions were open and elegant.

Of the five kingdoms of the Human Empire, the Ruling Kingdom of Lancia, a national power that was located between four other kingdoms, was actually known to be the strongest of the empire. 

This was the reason those who attained kingship in Lancia were unanimously considered 'Imperial Rulers' by the public. They had the power to protect them from outside forces. It was their belief.

The Imperial 'Kings' of the other four kingdoms didn't even dare to say otherwise. They accepted the authority of the only person who was at the top of the social hierarchy. Not unless there was a good reason to 'request' to be the Imperial Ruler.

Even Golden Snake felt his behaviour to be admirable. While the young lad before him wasn't perfect, he had the makings of a Ruler who would bring more years of prosperity to his kingdom.

"It's fine. Ah, YOUTH~! May you succeed in your ambitions! I will gladly tell my juniors to search for this young man in question. Though I must say, he seems quite familiar..." Golden Snake, the former Grand Elder of a large clan of martial artists on Earth, spoke with uncertainty hidden in his eyes.

He looked at the youth within the Aqua Recording. 

And was a little unnerved...

The style of swordsmanship the young man displayed was similar to Golden Snake's old enemy in form and style. This theory was immediately thrown out. No possibility of them being connected.

Especially after remembering that his old foe had died before he passed on his style of swordsmanship to anyone else. His hand touched a scar near his eye from when they had their final confrontation.

Even now, the image of that freak of nature, who obtained a level no one else had ever been able to achieve in martial arts, was seared into his mind. His almost hysterical smile and the pure fighting spirit of that old freak he so hated... It was all so vivid.

"It must be a coincidence. There's no way the Dragon Family's lineage could continue after what happened back then. I killed him with my own hands. Only a miracle could have let 'his' faction to continue to exist." And with that, the man stopped proceeding on this line of thought any further and calmed down to return to his normal demeanour.

Little did the scary old monster know that this big old freak was closer to him than he thought...!

But this was a story for later on...

0