Chapter 8: Brandon Volts and The Church (3)
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What did Brandon do after seeing his two students again? The first thing he did was have a bath and change into pristine white gloves that matched the colour coding of those who were of 'The Order'.

"It was Alex's (Arthur's) idea!" They both pointed at each other. Where did their camaraderie go? Maybe it was due to being dragged into the sanctuary and glared at for a good few hours. That did the trick.

Brandon was 'intense' that way...

The camaraderie between these two was paper thin once you applied enough pressure to them. They were originally opposites anyway. This much backstabbing was in the norm for the duo.

Though Brandon seemed to be listening to their squabbles on the outside, he was actually thinking about what happened earlier. His eyes looked over the hand he had used to punch Arthur's chin.

He had healed Arthur's injury, but could still remember the pain he felt after hitting him. It felt like his fist hit a guardian's shield rather than his student's chin. How hard had he been training?

No, these two youths could never be judged with common sense. They wouldn't have been able to beat that fake cult leader if they were easy to beat up... An idea popped into Brandon's head as he stood up.

The two troublemakers quietened down.

Not courageous enough to fight Brandon fairly. 

Especially after their first adventure...

They had enough rationality at this point.

If life had taught them anything, then it was that there was no meaning in a 'fair fight' unless the battle had purpose. Brandon also understood their mindsets after he remembered their time together.

Now that he thought about it, this scene gave him déjà-vu. He remembered the first time he met them was when they were chasing down a boar that he just so happened to 'kill steal'. It was its own story.

Their big argument about who kept the meat turned into a full-on brawl, which he won of course.  Both of them were immature and not nearly as strong back then... They were mostly whining kids in his eyes.

And especially brutal little kids at that.

Brandon's family jewels could testify to that.

Now, they on the verge of finally growing up... The mentor no longer had to secretly protect them, or have to keep an eye on them so they wouldn't die somewhere. The two of them were independent.

He just wished they could stop acting like this.

They were worthy of being people he can put his faith in, but still fell short of his expectations in personality. They were too chaotic. Acting solely for their personal benefits rather than a greater cause.

It's why he always had to request them of things.

"I need you two to help me." Their mentor had said.

"...You want 'our' help?" Alex was the first to ask, as this was the first time Brandon requested anything of them directly. They'd gotten used to him looking down on them as children... rather than adults.

This irritating look made Arthur argue:

"You're joking! You want us to work for free, don't you? This is just free labour, isn't it? You always used to trick us into free meals. Now we're older and you still think we don't have brains? You're not-"

"You get to fight people." Brandon sighed.

Knowing what reaction he'd get.

"Where can I sign in?" Arthur's demeanour shifted as he looked like a professional mercenary asking what their job would be. Alex face-palmed at this scene while Brandon was giving him a smug look.

Who could understand Arthur better than the guy who practically raised him? Even Alex felt like this mentor had caught his friend's tail... The brawny young man was a battle maniac of the highest degree. Which explained his great tenacity.

Anyone else would have fell into despair upon having to go through that survival journey. Only Arthur actually got more excited the more he got to fight. He even had more practical experience in battle than Alex himself after all these years...

"Aren't you busy with the 'Mirror Cult'?"

"I need help exactly BECAUSE I'm busy. You can't expect me to handle everything, can you?" Brandon did not deny Alex's inquiry. Revealing that he really did need extra hands when dealing with the issue.

"He said we can fight." Arthur poked at his friend.

"Zip your pie hole, Arthur. I don't care if you have battle boner." Alex spat to the 'maniac' standing next to him. They almost died recently because this guy chose to go pick a fight they'd never be able to win.

"Hey, isn't that going too far? You make it sound like the only thing I live for is to fight people...!" Arthur didn't seem to be aware of his true nature. Did this guy have obliviousness tougher than a steel wall?

No wonder his skin was so thick.

"..." This damn gorilla was just joking around with him, right? Alex could vividly remember Arthur's first words when they first met. How that idiot was ready to go in guns blazing without even a plan.

It was a direct invitation to battle and start a war with crazies! The damn mirror cult! After that, this battle maniac stuck with him because he sincerely liked fighting. And yet he spoke like a pacifist...?

What the hell is with that innocent expression?!

Alex's enraged face looked a bit like this: (ʘ言ʘ╬)

Pumping lines of crimson veins popped on Alex's forehead. His dark face scrunched up to the point he seemed like a devil. Ready to slap Arthur for even trying to pretend he wasn't the one causing trouble.

"It was your idea to-" Arthur was about to argue.

Alex quickly interrupted him:

"Don't try worming your way out of this...! Just because I dragged you into a fight this time doesn't mean you don't take any responsibility. Weren't you only recently talking about blowing up a building?"

"That's different..." Arthur avoided his burning gaze.

"How?" Alex pursued his excuse.

"I hate their guts!" Arthur acted like this mattered.

That his feelings applied to regular rational thought.

It brought up a single worded question by Alex:

"...Why?" This one word caused there to be silence as Arthur avoided Alex's gaze. He didn't speak for a few moments, and it seemed like Arthur wanted to tell him something... but stopped himself immediately.

Alex knew something was up the moment he realised that his friend had a total of five extra 'Body Slots' other than his 'Magic Slots',. He could ignore the ones that seemed to be artificially placed inside his body, but he not the natural magic slots nurtured.

There was a reason why not many people could become 'Noble Rankers'... and why those who were under the 'Imperial Ruler' as nobility were trusted by many. They EARNED the trust of commoners!

It wasn't all to do with pure combat prowess...

With power came restrictions. 

Without this absolute law of nature, Gaia would be chaotic. There were two factors needed to naturally gain a magic slot: The first was luck, which can range from being an inborn 'Lord Rank' individual like the crown prince and the grand hero before them...

...or having a chance encounter with a 'Spirit King'.

The second was 'Achievement', which can also translate to fulfilling certain conditions before acquisition. It was sometimes even the ACTUAL crystallisation of a 'promise' placed on oneself.

In whatever form it took, it didn't change that magic slots fundamentally weren't invincible. Not only could they vanish by breaking the promise, but were also susceptible to basic attributes weaknesses.

It wasn't like physics didn't exist in this world.

Things had to be lost for there to be gain...

...but sacrifice did not mean ultimate power.

It was simply a path Gaia Humans chose.

Of course, this world wasn't a game where Gaia handed magic slots to just anyone. The second factor is normally used so that Noble Rankers of the Human Empire didn't betray their nation.

By swearing loyalty to their king or ruler, they could obtain a magic slot without too much risk. Those that already gained a magic slot could boost its effectiveness by overlaying another 'condition'.

Though overlaying them wasn't good for health...

Once the user had made their promise, it'd forever be etched in their beliefs on a base level. Rarely could anyone escape from a promise... Once they betrayed their promise, the 'power condition' would break. They'd then suffer from severe depression.

It was actually a fate worse than death...

Though that was the lightest punishment. It was dependant on the 'Noble Ranker' how much faith they would put into their beliefs; how much of their lives they would be willing to give up for strength.

Those ranging from 'Barons' to 'Dukes' could be trusted to defend the Human Empire without shrugging off their duties, and Noble Rankers that didn't integrate into the political system at least became Adventurers... That was life on Gaia.

Alex, an arcanist and scholar of magic, wasn't sure what his brawny friend promised to gain a 'Dark Slot' and 'Blood Slot'... The only thing he knew was that it couldn't be anything favourable to him.

It had to be said that the attribute of a magic slot relied heavily upon the subtle nature of its initial formation. In more simple terms: What you promise is what defined the attribute of any magic slot.

'Light Slots' and 'Holy Slots' normally were made from good motives. In fact, the latter was made by especially pure promises that only needed the holder of it to righteously help those in need.

Dark and 'Evil Slots' were on the opposite scale...

From what Alex had researched, 'Dark Slots' usually meant they had 'dark motives'. It could range from wanting to bring someone harm to hurting themselves for the sake of gaining a magic slot.

Blood slots also weren't the 'nice' kind of magic slots. 

They signified the formation of a 'pact' of sorts.

Why would Arthur form these magic slots?

Alex's glares were sharp and straight: (﹁﹁)~→

He was someone who had a lot more knowledge than others on magic. Being stared at in such a way was uncomfortable for Arthur, but he had his reasons to keep things a secret. There were some promises that were better left unsaid to keep the relative peace.

Arthur didn't want his old friend to know.

Obviously...

Alex would get depressed over his circumstances. 

It was the downside of intimacy.

Even though Arthur knew he couldn't just stay quiet.

"Because they're the bad guys." Though this sounded reasonable, it felt insincere coming from this specific battle maniac. Arthur was one who normally gave no forethought about what was 'right' or 'wrong'.

Alex wanted to further interrogate, but a voice resounded in his ear. He had forgotten where he was after the inquiry started. Even that he'd just recently punched his own mentor where the sun don't shine.

"Ahem..." Brandon coughed to interrupt.

Alex had forgotten that this teacher had asked for their help. He wanted to refuse, but gave it another thought. After all, it would be ungrateful for them to refuse the only request their mentor voiced to them.

"...What do you want?" The youth sighed and decided to go with the flow since this WAS their mentor. Helping him out shouldn't be that bad. At worst, he'd give up if the going got too tough.

"Assist me in finding more Classless Beasts."

"What're those?" Alex didn't understand at all.

"..." Right, Brandon forgot to explain them. He sighed thinking it was okay. Like... 'Oh well, this will become common knowledge in a few days'. He knew there would be enough time to explain it once they'd gotten used to this new environment of this place.

"First, get familiar with the priests here. You are going to be staying here as new 'Squires' from now on. You'll also have to get familiar with others and work in a team larger than just the two of you."

"...Sure." Alex agreed without arguing. 

After all, Brandon was giving them free food and somewhere to live, so there was no way this penny-pincher could refuse that offer. Although Alex had already made plans before coming here, he decided to alter them to suit what he currently needed.

It wasn't like this was an offer worth rejecting...

Alex's greedy eyes were like this: ($_$)

The golden coins his eyes turned into made Brandon realise he was invested only in the money. He was a bit conflicted. Not knowing what he had done to make this particular disciple such a capitalist.

"Ummm... Alex?" He tilted his head awkwardly.

"For the sake of the innocent civilians, I shall definitely enlist my services to the church!" The 'smart kid' spoke up. He was unable to ignore the benefits of leeching off someone rich like Brandon.

"..." Everyone was silent at his sudden outburst.

Even the bishop, who was watching over them, and hoping they would give a helping hand, was unable to hide worry after seeing those materialistic eyes combined with a purely righteous tone of voice.

"Wipe that drool away your mouth first. (And what the heck is with those coins in your eyes?!)" Brandon almost embarrassed himself by saying that latter part aloud. He couldn't believe This was his student.

"I'll need to sort a few things out first. I'll be back shortly!" Alex took it upon himself to leave first so that he could minimise the spendings he was going to make. All on buying a mansion and servants.

He had never forgotten the value of money!

A true reincarnator mindset!

"Well... I guess I should be going as well." Arthur scratched his cheek the moment he was left alone with Brandon. Wondering if he was still holding a grudge for punching him in the face previously.

That makeshift 'Stuman style' greeting...

"...Wait." Brandon stopped Arthur just as was about to escape without a word. Before the brawny youth could scamper off by himself, his mentor stopped him after much thought. He did not let him go easy.

"Anything wrong?" Arthur was sweating bullets.

"Nothing... Do I need to tell you about stuff for us to talk? When did we become so distant?" Brandon wrapped his arm around the little warrior's head and messed his spiky hair. Arthur felt a warmth in his heart. This overly-friendly attitude was like the past. 

That didn't mean he didn't like it though... If it wasn't for Brandon's stubbornness to socialise with him, Arthur wouldn't have been so open. His current sincerity was something his mentor had cultivated.

If not, what would have become of Arthur?

Perhaps he might even had grown into a 'Beast'...

The much younger 'Arthur Rainglow' of the past was always a simple battle maniac. Even more than he was right now. He had given into his instincts had picked fights wherever regardless of circumstances.

Arthur felt he had grown from back then.

In fact, the current him was quite tame compared to his past self. One who jumped at the opportunity to fight Brandon at whatever time of day it was. Every breath he took back then was for fighting others.

Without him, Arthur probably would've turned into an animal that only knew how to hunt. Never reconnecting with his twin sister... That last part made him especially intimate with the man.

"Have you been well?" Brandon asked quite softly.

A tone that was exclusive for his surrogate son.

"Obviously." Arthur allowed him to pat his hair.

"You sure?" Brandon distrustfully lifted a brow.

"Why do you ask...?" Arthur noticed something was off from the way his mentor spoke to him. Did he get found out so early? Even though the youth was trying to hide it, there were things too obvious.

"You don't look 'fine' in my perspective. I'm not sure how you attained such strong physique, but it must have hard..." Brandon couldn't even imagine the kind of torture Arthur went through to attain this.

Especially to become tenacious enough to endure the grand hero's enhanced, fully-powered punch... He didn't even fall unconscious from it. What was more surprising was ARTHUR trained himself like this...

He still remembered that despite being a honest-to-god 'Sword Warrior', the brawny kid in his youth was actually lazier than Alex. At least, that's what it looked like in the eyes of a prodigy like Brandon.

Despite being a battle maniac, the younger version of Arthur wasn't diligent enough to train his mind and physique properly. That kid just relentlessly fought without a goal in mind. It formed purposeless power.

It was strength that did more harm than good...

Even with his guidance, Arthur could only barely do a 'Light Type Mana Burst'. Unlike Alex, who had a specific mana burst for every kind of attribute. Even though he was ignorant of his student's ominous two magic slots, Brandon was sure something was up.

"You both have to stop asking that...!" Arthur finally snapped and became a bit defensive. His words were self-implicating. Not something the brawny youth would usually say when it came to that topic.

"Sorry, sorry~ You're right. I was being too nosy like always." Brandon let his student escape his strong grasp and put his hands up to show he was backing off. Almost like he was trying to calm an animal.

For Arthur to turn out like this... It was better not to force him to speak if he didn't want to say it. The brawny kid huffed and left as well. The boy had left his mentor to reminisce. Brandon saw him leaving for good. That back reminded the man of his old self... He too was such a sentimental teen like Arthur once upon a time, before 'it' happened his friend.

His eyes lingered on where Arthur had left.

Whenever he saw these two youths, Brandon was reminded of his own old friend and himself in the past. That was a story for another day. Some kind of epic that was important, but not to a protagonist.

It seemed like Arthur had fit that category.

"I hope you both don't make the same mistakes I did..." Brandon murmured. He turned to talk to the bishop. There were many things they needed to get sorted before they could start retaliating against the radiant sword mirror cult and its followers.

The past shall repeat no more... At least, that was the conviction Brandon had while forwarding his plan.

He prayed for their safety and security...

0