Chapter 2 – Intellectual Loyalty
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Huge thanks to El-Okla89, Steven, Chad and Flashycow3 for buying my Patreon! It really means a lot to me! Anyways, onto the story!


While burly King Robert keeps Queen Cersei in check, the Green Crabb seeks advancement.

A direct encounter with the arrogant Cersei Lannister will likely result in scorn for the Crabb family, considered "half-barbarians."

This is just the foreshadowing; the secret is to take advantage of the opportunity to demonstrate skill and strength.

Crackclaw Point has arid land made up mainly of swamps, forests, and valleys.

Every valley of Crackclaw Point has its Lord, and its lords and subjects do not trust outsiders.

Most of the inhabitants of Crackclaw Point are descended from the ancestors. When the Ndals attempted to conquer Crackclaw Point, they encountered resistance from every corner.

When not fighting external enemies, the inhabitants of Crackclaw Point turn on one another in blood feuds as dark and deep as the mountain swamps.

Occasionally, a hero emerges to bring temporary peace to the region, such as Clarence Crabb, the legendary hero of House Crabb. But with his death, the war returns.

During the War of Conquest, Aegon the Conqueror sent Visenya Targaryen to Crackclaw Point to recruit them as direct vassals. Since then, the region has remained loyal to House Targaryen.

Green Clabb delivered the written letter to Hershel.

After a moment of silence, he rubbed his dark, medium-length, slightly curly hair.

Whispering City is about 100 miles to the east, and compared to Crackclaw Point, its northern location has a large area of ​​land suitable for farming.

This land once belonged to the sphere of influence of Clabb's ancestor, Whispering Castle. According to Chief Steward Hershel, relying on these lands, the ancient Clabb family provided thousands of the clan's elite soldiers, ensuring the Clabb family's absolute dominance over the nearby area.

After the Usurper's War, pressured by internal and external forces, Green Clabb's mother moved her remnants to a relatively safe military stronghold and renamed it Whispering City.

More than ten years have passed. The ancestral land of Whispering Castle lies in ruins, and the Clabb family has long lost the right to rule the region.

"Surana, it couldn't have been easy for my mother back then."

"My little master, when I think about it now, I still feel scared. At first, Madame had to sleep with two swords beside her bed. A long sword for her enemies and a short sword for herself."

Green Clabb smiled humbly: "She was really powerful."

Surana, who normally maintained a cold face, also showed a smile: "You passed away peacefully. My master, you are the lady's greatest pride."

After chatting a bit with his longtime housekeeper, Surana, Green recalled Surana's cryptic last words after the match.

Harvest time on the farm approached, and the wild lords of the nearby mountains eyed the Crabb family, who had recently lost their matriarch, with greed.

Everyone was poor, but the Clabb family farm always stood out.

Which was an excellent opportunity.

At this time, the Clabb territory lord was just a young man who had long been under the protection of his mother. The mountain savages came together for a rare moment. If they didn't attack him now, who would they fight?

Surana was not worried about the war in the Clabb territory.

The Crabb family had two remaining knights canonized generations ago, Per Pirie and Mason Baker.

Since the birth of the Clabb family, it has taken hundreds of years to cultivate the world's most reliable retainers.

In the dangerous environment of Crackclaw Point, Clabb has over 200 permanent soldiers, each with experience from hundreds of battles.

Twenty of them wore full armor, and against unarmored mountain savages, one was worth ten.

Surana participated in many battles with Green's mother. She is agile and is said to have few opponents.

What really worried Surana was Green's youth and energy. This was the first time he had led an army alone into battle. In a moment of excitement, he could step forward and expose himself.

There is only one heir left in the Clabb family. If something happens to Green, everything that is protected will collapse in no time, and the Clabb family will become history.

In fact, Green wanted to tell Surana directly that he was strict and would not waste time.

But by the majesty of the Lord, courage must be demonstrated at all times, so it could not be said in words.

After completing the time travel fusion, Green could feel his physical fitness improving significantly in all aspects every time he slept and woke up.

Green's sword has been thirsty for a long time.

The mentally mature Green tries to convince himself that this is just one of the top ten hallucinations caused by physical enhancement.

"You are the Lord, you have soldiers! So hold tight and stop the waves!"

With the exception of a cousin who is three years older and married, Green is the only remaining member of the Crabb family, which is a dangerous situation for a noble family with a long history.

Crabb territory is not a peaceful place. The Lord often leads his men into battles, large and small.

Mrs Crabb is no longer here. Green Crabb, as Lord of the Crabclaw Peninsula, will live mostly like his ancestors: fighting continuously.

Being a lord of Crackclaw Point is a high-risk profession.

What if the last Crabb has an accident?

Anyone with a little discernment would feel a sense of crisis, and their hearts would be filled with apprehension.

The Crabb family title is hereditary baronetcy.

In line with the Crabb family's precarious position in the kingdom at this time, Green's marriage becomes a problem, whether to a woman of high or low standing.

Normally, Green, at fifteen, would already have at least one fiancée.

Surana understands that the Lord's marriage is not a simple love affair between a man and a woman. The Usurper's War and its aftermath serve as a constant reminder to nobles not to be carried away by love.

Therefore, Surana believes that even with an illegitimate son, Green needs to have an heir, regardless of the traditions and laws of the nobility.

This is not about cursing Green but about appeasing the people of the territory.

With this, your marriage can be considered peaceful.

Surana has a son and a daughter. Her eldest son got married at 16 and now studies with the great butler Hershel.

His daughter, Kalea, is thirteen years old. She is healthy, beautiful, and, most importantly, trustworthy.

Surana has seen Green grow up and knows that he is not a bad or cruel person.

Although giving birth to an illegitimate child was not glorious, it was considered a meritorious service to the Crabb territory at that time.

Unable to inherit the Crabb surname, the child would only have the illegitimate surname of "Snow" but would still have the Crabb blood.

At this point, having a son with Crabb blood would guarantee a woman at least a farm with enough food and clothing to last her life.

She would live better than most women and have a peaceful life.

Everyone would benefit.

As he had to follow local customs upon his arrival, Green was grateful to have integrated the memories of his original body.

With the memories integrated, Green's habitual words and actions adapted gradually and naturally. As a former loyal minister of the Dragon Family, he needed to avoid leaving too obvious a trace.

Under the religion of the Seven Gods, those who behaved very differently from the norm could easily be labeled as heretics. Believers of the Seven Gods were everywhere in Westeros.

"Thirteen years…" Green sat back in his chair and looked up, staring at the ceiling for a long time.

The conflict of ideas in his heart was huge, so he decided to discuss it again.

After a few days of counting, the number of Green's direct subjects reached more than 2,000 people. The main economic activity was hunting, complemented by agriculture.

Around a thousand people lived near the City, while the rest were distributed in ten villages of different sizes.

One of the villages, located south of the City near the sea, had a population of around 200 people who lived from fishing.

It was called Fishing Village, but this name was not satisfactory and needed to be changed.

At least the word "village" should be changed to "port".

After a busy period, Green would need to go in person to do site inspections and then formulate plans.

The Lord was very poor and needed many golden dragons.

...

Knight Retainer Mason Baker, who had been absent for three days, followed Green's order to inspect and count all the blacksmiths, carpenters, and other artisans in the territory.

Butler Hershel had already begun preparing accommodations in the vacant rooms.

Concentrate all forces in the territory, focus on production, divide work, and cooperate to train technicians and prepare for the establishment of a cold weapons factory.

The existence of many high-quality yew forests in Crabb territory makes it advantageous to train all archers as quickly as possible.

However, elite archers require more than just archery skills; they also require strong discipline. Green understands this will take time to develop.

Green's first step should be to mobilize all the forces in the territory according to his current strength and gather all the troops to attack and eliminate the savages from the nearby mountains in order to create a relatively stable development environment for the territory.

The main reason for this is Green's poverty. He plans to temporarily change the family motto to "Strength is better than hard work."

He will change back when he has money.


Get early access to advanced chapters as well as other bonuses on my Patreon for five dollars a month!

patreon.com/DylanBriak

(Or just search for DylanBriak on Patreon and you should find me)

1