4. Surrender
40 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     One of the double doors to the Honor Guard Captain’s room creaked open, letting the candlelight dance on the visage of the newly ascended Viscount Ionescu and his immaculate ceremonial uniform. Rhian didn’t enter the room immediately, though. He stayed in the doorway, leaning on the frame in his formal attire. The pure white Rhian donned now was a stark departure from the all-absorbing black he wore during the funeral and vigil just days ago. The pained smile on his face was yet another reminder of his father’s and Captain Reverian’s deaths that resounded through the room. It was all the more unnerving that they were both staying in the rooms of those recently deceased, but they understood that they had no choice but to continue on and carry out their duties.

     Nveh rose from his chair, moving just enough to let Rhian see the letter on his desk.

     “It’s real nice of you to finally let me meet you like this. It looks like you respond a lot better when I say it's for official business,” Rhian remarked as he stayed leaning on the door frame, then inspected Nveh's clothing, “You’re dressed like you expected a lot more than what’s actually happening, but I can’t blame you for that.”

     The knight’s brow furrowed ever so slightly before he began his reply.

     “Well, I wasn’t certain of what to expect with the vague invitation to ‘a conference with Viscount Ionescu.’” He moved to the door to close it behind Rhian, ending up just inches away from his face. “And—might I add—that you are dressed quite well for something that my expectations are too high for. Not to mention the letter having penmanship too readable to be your own.”
     “You got me there.” He shrugged, finally walking in and taking a seat on the edge of Nveh’s bed. He patted the space next to him, prompting Nveh to sit, but the knight first confirmed that the door was locked, then sat beside Rhian.
     “If you just wanted to sit with me, then you didn’t have to go through all of this, you are aware?” He paused to let the jab sink in. “I’m sorry, what was it that you wanted to discuss?” With that, Nveh put his hand on Rhian’s, and they gazed at each other with all the fervor they were forbidden from showing around others.
     “I got something for you.” Rhian reached inside his coat, flourishing a brilliant, artisanally-crafted ring. Nveh gingerly reached for it, running his finger over the crest of the Ionescu family engraved on it. In mock ceremony, Rhian grabbed the letter from Nveh’s desk and tapped it on his shoulders, pretending to knight him in a sarcastic monotone. “Through taking the oath of the Captain of the Honor Guard, you pledge your allegiance to House Ionescu in service and soul. May your years be fruitful and your life well-lived from duty to death and all that.”

     Nveh was still trying to be mindful of the fact that it was late in the night, but he couldn’t stifle his laughter at Rhian’s forced recitation. “Did one of your old tutors force you to commit that to memory?”
     “Yeah, but really, I’m just glad I won’t have to do that anymore. Anyways, you know the deal with the signet, but I had this custom-made to store spells,” Rhian explained as he extended his hand over the ring, and he imbued it with some kind of magic. “It’s got a couple healing spells on it right now. Let me know what you’d like and I’ll see what I can do.”
     “Thank you, it’s wonderful.” Nveh pulled his hand out of Rhian’s, putting on the ring and moving to embrace him.

     In Nveh’s cold, isolated quarters, Rhian’s warmth was that of the sun. He couldn’t help but pull him closer, wrapping his arm around his lover’s waist. Rhian relaxed into Nveh, nestling his face into his shoulder. These gestures were cathartic and what they wanted more than anything, being unable to do any of this around others. It was still difficult for Nveh to hide his affection, but he had been doing it for a long time, even hiding it from himself. As for Rhian, though, it was much more challenging, especially with his new position forcing him to maintain some semblance of impulse control. Every hour of the day, the secrecy of their relationship weighed on their minds. But here, it wasn’t necessary. They were free to do as they pleased.

     They remained locked in each other, holding the other close, before Rhian pulled away slightly. With just enough space between them for Nveh to see Rhian’s expression, the latter flashed a teasing smirk and lurched back onto the bed, pulling Nveh with him. Rhian laid down completely, leaving his legs hanging off the side of the bed, but Nveh resisted just enough to brace himself on his arms, staying directly over Rhian. The viscount’s expression softened with an amused scoff as he reached out to touch Nveh’s face.

     “You’re so tense,” Rhian laughed as he ran his hand lower, along Nveh’s neck and chest. “What? Worried about soiling my ceremonial clothes?” Nveh internally rolled his eyes, not even trying to defend himself. It was the first time Rhian was in his chambers and this was what he was doing? Though, Nveh certainly wasn't bothered by it.
     “I know full well you won’t be having a servant clean them up. What? Worried about having to learn how to do your own laundry, my poor little viscount?” Nveh teased. He took Rhian’s hand off of him, holding his wrist against the bed. The cold metal of the ring cut into Rhian’s skin.
     “Maybe I’ll just have you do it yourself. But don’t let that stop you.” Rhian turned his head slightly, bearing more of his neck as he whispered. “Make as much of a mess as you want."

     Nveh already knew this wouldn’t be the last time they would be here, in this exact position. And with Rhian below him like this, he couldn’t resist.

0