5. Doubt
37 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     “Sir Nveridius, you are to see to Morgan and Ethel Engel within the next three days. Carry it out at your own discretion—whatever means necessary, but maintain secrecy as always.” Rhian’s words echoed in the grand hall of his residence, his characteristic smirk almost undermining any gravity they carried. To any except the devoted knight still kneeling before him, it would’ve seemed as if Rhian were making a request to simply watch over the two mentioned. Nveh knew what was being requested of him, and as much as he wanted to simply carry out his lord and lover’s orders, there was something off.

     “May I ask for more information on the targets, my lord?”
     “Yes, of course.” Rhian adjusted himself, shifting his weight and crossing his legs. “The two are residents in the southeastern part of town, near the Guild Hall. Morgan is a laborer, though we have reason to believe he’s been in contact with a… an unfavorable viscount. Ethel has accompanied him on multiple of these occasions, so naturally the same applies to her. Does that suffice?”

     His eyes darted to Rhian’s. And while Rhian wore an expression of neutrality, Nveh struggled to conceal his surprise. A laborer? Rhian's own people? Commoners, whose names he had never heard before? The pricking at the back of Nveh’s mind had been there for a while, only growing: a hint that maybe this wasn’t what he was supposed to be doing, maybe this wasn’t right.

     He remained kneeling, unmoving, unresponsive.

     His previous assignments weren’t necessarily things that he wanted to undertake, either. Series of “silencing” and “dispatching” and “seeing to” people, capitalizing on his authority as the Captain of the Honor Guard and his knowledge of poisons. But never before had he been targeting people within their walls. Never before had he been targeting people that he knew personally. Nveh raised his head to face Rhian.

     “My lord, I don—”
     “Oh, Nveh, you’ve done so much more with so much less.”

     As he spoke, Rhian rose from his seat, making his way towards Nveh. The knight instinctively looked around, ensuring that none of his number were near before his suspicions as to what Rhian intended were confirmed. Rhian placed his hand under Nveh’s chin, and brought his focus back onto him.

     “I really appreciate all that you do and all that you’ve done for me. If you don’t want to do this, I won’t force you,” Rhian coaxed, smiling as warmly as he had during their little selenian trysts in the gardens. It was but a moment. And the memories, feelings, time, all flooded back, obliterating Nveh’s resistance. Their gazes met and held, Nveh wincing before an almost tearful grin crept in.

     He chose to trust this man with his life. And so, he would have it to the end.
     And what a bitter end that would be.

0