Chapter 8: Woman
0 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Daenerys Targaryen

There was a child growing inside of her, not just any child, but the Stallion Who Would Mount the World. He was to be the prophesied saviour of the Dothraki, their leader and their God. He would lead them to conquer all the known world. She was not sure what to make of that, she had never wanted the Iron Throne, that was her brother, Viserys, right, not hers, but if her child was to claim the throne, she would support him. Her husband seemed to have begun paying more attention to her, as a result of the crone's words. That and the fact she spoke Dothraki now, seemed to make her more appealing to him. He did not ask her opinions on things, but he spoke to her, and she found herself feeling more kind to him, and more attracted. He was not a bad looking man at all, though there was guilt at these thoughts whenever she looked at Aemon. She sighed, she did not know how to make things better, she was just glad her brothers could speak to her still.

"We will be in Vaes Dothrak for another three days." Dany says, looking at Viserys, to make sure that he does not do anything silly whilst here. There had been a few close calls, but nothing too bad. Since becoming Khaleesi she had felt a new sense of purpose and confidence that she had never felt before. "We just need to get the blessings of the Great Stallion and then we shall be on our way."

"You need to get the blessings of a horse?" Viserys asks incredulously, anger flashing in his eyes. "You are a dragon; you need no one's blessings."

Dany sighs, her brother doesn't understand how these things work, he never has. "It is important to get the Great Stallion's blessings, Viserys, otherwise we shall have a fraught journey."

Her brother snorts. "Who told you that nonsense?"

"Khal Drogo and my handmaidens." Dany explains, knowing that will not make one whit of a difference to her brothers.

"And you think they are not having you on?" her brother Aemon asks then. His voice filled with anger. "Sister, they could well be doing this to humiliate you. No one has been to that fucking temple in years. Just ask Ser Jorah, or even Rakharo."

Dany looks at Aemon surprised, she had not thought he'd have deigned to speak with one of her blood riders so content had he been to stew in anger. "When did you speak to Rakharo?"

"Yesterday." Aemon replies curtly. "I wanted to know when we'd be leaving this shit hole. He said we should have left a day ago. But that you had asked that we stay." There is something accusatory in her brother's voice that makes her blush.

"I did no such thing." Dany replies defensively, and it is the truth, Drogo had told her simply that they were not leaving for another three days, and she had accepted.

"That is not what Rakharo told me. He told me that you were begging to remain here for a little while longer, that you did not want to leave just yet. Hence why you are going to the Temple of the Great Stallion." Aemon says, his voice cold as ice.

Dany runs her hands through each other nervously. "I do not know why Rakharo told you that. How can you even speak to him, I did not know you know Dothraki?"

Her brother shrugs. "I learned." She wants to ask why, and how, but Aemon does not tell her these things anymore.

Viserys speaks then, his tone angry. "I do not care who said what. What I want to know is where are we going from this shit hole?"

Dany bristles slightly at the way her brother refers to the home of her people- for they are her people now- and replies. "We are going to keep marching west, looking for loot and plunder."

"You mean the fool is going to keep going to try and distract us from our main goal. He will not take use across the narrow sea until you have given birth to his god damned hell spawn." Viserys spits out angrily.

Dany looks at Viserys and then at Aemon and asks in a tiny voice. "Is that such a bad thing? Then I can help with the conquest. I am no good like this." She says gesturing at her growing midriff.

It is Aemon who speaks then, his voice cuts through everything else. "Well, it is good to know you still remember us. And that you're not lost when you bend over for that savage." With that he turns and walks away from them, from her, leaving her fighting back tears.

She feels Viserys eyes on her, and when she looks up she expects to hear some cutting remark from him, instead he merely sighs and says. "I will go and talk to him. I suggest you think on what has been said here sister. You are a dragon, never forget that." With that her brother walks away as well.

Dany stands there, holding her stomach, fighting back tears of despair, as she realises what her attempt to get to know her husband has done to her and Aemon. She feels angry, angry at herself and at Aemon, why can't he understand why she's doing this. Gods she feels so helpless, so very helpless. She moves back into her tent, to where the eggs rest in their chest, she takes out the white egg, and runs her hands over it, praying and praying. She wishes that the egg would just hatch, so then she'd have someone other than her brothers and her husband and the emptiness to keep her company. As she prays, she feels her son kick, and she weeps a little bit more. Her whole life has been based in fear, she wonders if his will be as well. She hopes not.

2