Chapter 5: The Attempts
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'I have decided, I am not an AI!' 

Now then, Print="Hello world!" please. I have concluded that my thoughts are my own. Even if my body is no more and I am inanimate, my mind and personality remain intact. Therefore, my intelligence is purely human and not a simple AI. Besides, why would an AI even be questioning itself.

Siding that totally important idea, Mugob, the orc, had awoken and unlike yesterday was more sluggish that usual. I'm guessing that even if he managed to survive the rabies, which is impressive enough, and healed his wound causing him to fall asleep for an entire afternoon that weakened him enough to cause this. He is very resilient may I say, he beat an almost 100% mortality disease.

*Drool* 

I don't like that though. Ever since then, he started acting more and more wild. Drooling and growling sometimes. Is this still the rabies? I mean, maybe but I doubt an orc can be this affected by simple rabies seeing that he can heal. Is this something else? 

By the way, seems as if he ate the wolf yesterday. After he picked me up, my vision caught sight of some bones at the far right side of the cave. Seems as if he ate it raw and didn't touch the bones. This confirms that he won't eat me I think. 

 

-===-

 

Time flew by as I observed the forest. It's a lush woods. Teaming with some trees that I can see the top off and some that I can't as it is out of my range. I can still hear the birds but I can't see them so I couldn't confirm if this world had the same ones or not. If I were to take another guess, I would say the same. I should become a doctor, I'm good at guessing. Okay, okay, I hear you. My bad.

We reached a sort of clearing after seemingly an hour of walking. And what I can see is a sudden cutoff of trees, nothing but grass can be felt.

"ALERT''

I heard a high pitched voice shout. It was probably above us in front as that's where I heard it.

As The shout echoed, Mugob stopped in the clearing and footsteps can be heard heading towards us.

"Who" "Reveal" As they got onto my range, I could see that they were goblins but larger. Not orcs though, goblins but just more buff and taller. They were carrying what seems to be spears that are chipped and armored with broken equipment.

I wonder if they made that or simply stole them from adventurers ,if there are any. Maybe we're in a medieval setting? 

"I bring offering" 

The goblins stopped and inspected Mugob. They were circling him as he just stood there with his arms carrying me. After inspecting him, they sought out to inspect me.

"That.. What?"

"Offering and payment Chief."

As he said that, the goblins observed me more. I'm no exhibitionist nor am I lacking in the attention department so being looked at like this feels really uncomfortable. Worst is that they look at me not as a person but as an object which I am against. Well, I mean, this could be for the best seeing that goblins and orcs most likely kill humans in this. Or even worse.

Being looked at like this made me wonder. What will they think of me? Will they take me in? I mean, the goblins called me a treasure so maybe they would at the very least keep me.

"No.. Lack" "Not Enough" 

These ugly rag wearing pieces of excrements just called me low value! Worst than being kept as a treasure or even as an object, they won't even keep me as an offering! These guys...

"But! Please!" as I was being pumped up, Mugob started pleading. He was really distraught seeing his treasure not accepted. 

This sight snapped me out of my delusion. I mean, the goblins may have a point as much as I hate to say it. I am nothing but a metal bracelet not even enough to protect the hands. Look what they have, metal spears and metal chest plates. Although old and ragged, they serve more purpose than some random metal bracelet that was labeled treasure by some who have never had metal. Personal treasures and actual ones are different I guess.

Killing his previous comrades just to gain me was probably done so he can say it was his found and gain full ownership rather than shared. But, I pity him as his ploy didn't turn out well.

"Please! Accept! My only treasure I can offer!"

"No. Out. Or. Death"

"Please!"

"OUT!"

"Pleas-"

*Thunk*

As he was about to protest once more, the goblins swung the bottom of their spears, knocking him onto to the ground before hitting him with the blunt part again. They went back out of my sigh once more. Judging by their behaviors, they value their safety above all else. Having a possible fortified wall and equipped guards to inspect every entry seems kind off not goblin like but I may just be stereotyping  at this point.

Mugob stood up in anguish and walked back into the forest venturing the cleared path from where we came from. I guess he is on his way to find another treasure, I wonder if he will throw we away? I mean, the guards said 'Not Enough' which should mean that I have value even if not the much so he should keep me here. I can't believe I will ever apply psychology and logic to determine if an orc will keep me but here I am. Matter of fact, why is a baby orc even here? I am still confused about that point.

-===-

We spent the night at the same cave we once were. I could tell as the bones remained but seems as if some bugs are on it. They do not look like anything I had exactly seen. They were ants that chewed through the bone to the marrow. Their clamps seemed to be varied, some have big strong looking ones and some have a wider one with a curve seemly used to not only puncture but scoop the marrow too.

Anyways, these ants distracted me as I was currently really close to them. I was on the groubd, equipped to Mugob's left hand while he lays on this right side. 

Something I hadn't noticed or had even decided to see were the flying insects. Some look like normal flies, some just literal copy paste of annoying bug.jpegs, and the worst one of all, mosquitoes.

It seemed like the normal type. A female bug with a cursed proboscis of danger syrup. It flew really close to me and.. bit down?? Injected? its mouth into Mugob's skin to begin sucking. After a couple of seconds, the mosquito slowly fell to the ground limp. Like a seizure patient seeing that one P#kemon episode, it started writhing  and stopped suddenly. After a while, it turned black and suddenly started going wild. 

As it was about to fly away, Mugob rolled in his sleep and crushed it, now sleeping on his stomach.

 

...What the flying vermin is that?!? Why did it suddenly do that? Is it the orc blood? Can mosquitoes handle goblin blood and more but it mistook Mugob as one and decided to have a nice meal? But mosquitos can smell blood, wouldn't it just refuse to suck an orc blood if it would kill them? And why did it have a seizure, mosquitos don't do that??!?

Or.. Is it something more?...I-I can't just guess at this. At least the pest it gone. Would be funny if it inhaled the rabies and died. Can they even die if they suck rabies? Maybe.

Anyways, I noticed that I gained a little droplet of EXP when it died. I wonder what determines the amount of EXP a creature will give? It can be based off of how many EXP or Level they have if that's the case then like a video game. It makes sense that the lone wolf would give a ton more than the goblins as they seemed to have been children kicked out of the village.

So that would mean that based on my current understanding, the goblin children are fed by their parents or adults maybe. I am guessing that while the act of eating something that had EXP may give some, based on the lone wolf who probably had to hunt for its own food, the EXP gained by killing it is way higher. 

I might also add that based on RPG logic, I think that shared EXP will give more to the last hit or maybe even a party system compared to the members or nearby. Could that mean that if royalty existed, they could just order their vassals to kill a lot of creatures to power level the leader? That can't be right? That can't be the reason why kings of all kind seem to be so high leveled in so many games can it?

Ah, I hate guessing! I actually wanna be able to experiment. Come on! Let me move already!

-===-

The day had arrived. I spent the night observing the ants and it took then several hours to transport what they needed before leaving. It seems that they feed on the bone marrow and not the bone itself. Also, an unknown bug that looked like a small ladybug but was aggressive had tried to eat the ones carrying the marrows. The bigger ants then fought it but in a turn of events, the ladybug was winning as it managed to slow down the ant somehow. Like a poison gas if I were to assume. But then some more armored and heavier looking ants showed up after sometime which made the ladybug flee.

As of now, it seemed like Mugob was getting desperate. We usually take the somewhat clear path on our destination but now he had just lost it. He's more sluggish than usual, I fear for what might happen if a wolf attacks him in this state. He decided to walk into the bushes and brave the shrubbery. I understand his thinking that if you want to find treasure, you must venture to the unexplored but like most adventurer stories, the quick rich scheme never goes as planned.

-===-

We have been walking for long now. He is becoming more and more sluggish as he walks. During our exploration, a wolf pack had popped out. I had detected them after they managed to get as close as a meter. After that, apparently, the pack leader smelled something or felt something unusual and decided to call off the attack to just find another victim. 

I was surprised to say the least. I was ready to wait for another host to inhibit after they showed up but it seems luck was on my side this time. 

As we continued walking deeper and deeper into the foliage,  his condition became worse.

'What's causing this? Is it me?' It can't be me, while it is true that he became weaker after he put me on, I don't feel anything. I am not giving him any curse or am feeling anything I absorb from him. What might be the cause then if I wasn't it?

Then it dawned on me. The same symptoms he was experiencing was the same as the mosquito's. Feeling weak and slowly falling off before having a seizure and then...

As my predictions were as if bad omens, Mugob started to slowly kneel before falling to the ground face first. After sometime, he started violently shaking, convulsing on the ground like he had been shocked. And after the display of fear, he released a death scream that could even frighten an experienced psychiatric nurse before suddenly falling silent and lying limp.

'It's as I feared. It must be from the blood. But where did he get it from? The mosquito? That's not a bad guess but why wouldn't the mosquito just die or become sluggish before ever reaching him then? Then was it from the wolf bite?'

As I was exploring the possibilities, my friend and companion had awoken. His right shoulder turning black as I can see something not of color but of something more spread from there. Not experience as I know it but something close. 

As the liquid spread, turning Mugob's body abyss, it reached his left shoulder before traveling to the wrist. With that, I could finally see it. It was not EXP that was like water, it was something that can be felt. It's like lava releasing heat but it could not burn, unless you touch it I assume. As I had contact with it, I felt as if I can slowly but certainly absorb it. Use some of my EXP to cool it down before taking it in. It takes a lot of time just to gain a drop but what I can say is that this thing is definitely not natural. But I can take it. 

I don't know what will happen to me but if Mugob was already taken over, I have nothing left. So like, a mosquito, I decided to engage..

0