Chapter 7: Take and Fate {Darkish chapter}
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
This chapter posses dark themes. If you are easily scared/influenced by slightly dark content, look away.

It seems that this liquid isn't the only this I can absorb.

When Mugob was set ablaze the first time, I was not only admiring the existence of magic in this world but was also pondering if it was related to magic itself. II read a lot of novels in the past, including otome and magical girl ones, to gain knowledge about how magic world. As you could guess, I was really into the idea of such, don't judge me.

In those stories as well as games, I had always ignored something very crucial. You never see an RPG story without the existence of magic. Even if the said magi is minimal at best, you always feel or see its presence appear, though I just ignored it before. Now that it matter, I though about it harder.

What is EXP is just another type of magic? A sort of enchantment of  body, psyche, and soul perhaps. Maybe EXP just enhances the soul and when it is full, it produces something out of those EXP in order to create skills, strengthen the body, and upgrade the person permanently. Then, it enlarges itself in order to fit more and store them in the so called stats? Wouldn't that be interesting? Would that also mean that skills are just spells but for this specific magic?

Anyways, how many way have I any'd I wonder, let me get to the point. Seeing as I can absorb both EXP and the liquid, which based on my theory are magic, what stops me from absorbing fire magic itself? I mean, it doesn't hurt to try, or I hope so at least.

When the earth ball hit Mugob, I tried to absorb it but seems like I couldn't. Is this because I can't absorb magic and am just limited to EXP and the liquid, Ill call it takeover mana from now on seeing as it does take over and it is mana, or is it because this is physical, a rock? With this, I was waiting and cheering the old goblin.

Come on, release a fire spell! And as I hoped, one came. Mugob was chasing an escapee when it occurred. He couldn't dodge so he lifted his hands up, my left hand over his inferior right hand (Because I wasn't in that arm). Then, as the fireball made contact, I felt it. Unlike takeover mana, this felt like warm water. Though it was fire mana I suppose, I could just drink it up although some of it passed by me, bringing a little heat to Mugob in the process. 

I noticed something. I did absorb it but I was wondering, where did I store such a mana? I tried to search myself and had realized, though it contributed little, a slow increase in my EXP was happening.

So that's what it is. It's not that EXP is a magic, it's that EXP is magic if my conclusions are correct. These may just be wrong and it turns out I'm just special in a way that I can convert fire mana to EXP but I choose what I want to believe in not what... I want not to believe in maybe. Is this perhaps what resistance equipment do but instead they break because they cannot level up or increase in souls? Are  enchans just artificial soul vessels?

It seems that Mugob is surprised though I know it's not. The thing walking and fighting all this time is not the orc I know. It's the mana taking over his body, that vile magic. After getting over it, he advanced forwards.

The old goblin looked flabbergasted. He decided to shoot once more. I can't really see much happening with him, I can't see any mana flow or magic related stuff coming from or around him. All I could see was an expanding ball. I wanna research that so badly, it may be the key to curing chuunibyou, not that it's a disease, more like cure to coping and seething.

 Anyways, the ball headed to Mugob and he had decided to hold both his hands up once more. I won't fail this time. And... I barely passed. Seems like I can't drink that much water at once. Some of the fireball still managed to burn his right arm.  I mean, for my second attempt, that wasn't bad. 

With that, Mugob reached the gate that was about to close after the goblin entered it. The elder decided that his fireballs don't work any longer and decided to retreat inside the walls as well, not bothering to test if his earth spell worked seeing that Mugob seemed to be resistant to magic.

My range, while large being 10 meters, can't unfortunately see through walls. Although I can hear a commotion inside the walls as Mugib tries to pound it and climb after that didn't work as well as he apparently thought. 

Am I even doing the right thing?  I  mean, I am protecting a murdere- no, a monster right now. I mean, only goblins and animals were hurt right? It's like watching a cat hunt and kill 5 roaches, it's ok right?... 

*Sigh*

I'm just finding excuses at this point. I mean, what off it. I know this is wrong but what should I do? If he dies, who will ever pick me up? Do I have to wait for so long again? I can't even move and my only way of acquiring EXP is by leaching off him. It's just survival. I must think it's just survival to not drown n self-loathing.

As I was having a conflict, Mugob managed to crack the walls with his repeated attempt to climb it by slicking his feet and hands to it. AS he pounded the hole, I could hear screams and had finally seen what was through the walls. 

I could see goblins armed in nothing but sharp sticks and their women behind them fleeing to the other side carrying their offspring. It was surreal. I never was prepared for this. This sight of fear hatred and sorrow. I had never realized how hard it truly bears and pressures you.

Mugob broke the wall and began his rampage. Indiscriminately pummeling, punching, stomping, and killing the goblins in his way. Destroying their houses made of mud and wood in the process. All I could do was watch as he decided to go for the ones on the run after his savagery. Targeting the women and children and hunting the elder mage which was feeling in fear.

*Screams**Shouts**Cries*

"Chief! Save us..."

As the scene unfolded before me, I was in shock once more. I had not batten an eye when he killed wolves and rabbits but simple goblins had shaken me to the core. How happy I was when a story described killing goblins is inverse as a sad and disgusted I am now. How messed up.

As Mugob reached near the elder, apparently the chief, the old goblin went inside a hut. A hut that looked fortified, the only building with a door on it. Mugob easily broke through the door as he chased the chief. 

What I had seen shocked me. The chief was holding a dagger in his right hand, it was plunged inside an orc girl tied to a pole. As he breathe, I could feel something build up around us. Mugob didn't seem to notice as he bolted for the chief.

As if offering a sacrifice, the chief plunged the dagger tighter and held his hands to his own heart. He then stretched it towards Mugob and opened his eyes.

"Ravage"

In an instant, not known if it's instinct or pure luck due to his injuries. Mugob stumbled to the left causing his right side to be erased. From his hands to a chunk of his shoulder like something bit into it. After that, the chief collapsed as well as Mugob.

In all of this mess, only I was awake. Only I know what happened. Only I am comforting myself that I was not involved and had done what I can and should. I may have gained tons of EXP but there's somethin far more important I lost. My humanity.

That was a dark chapter. The spoilers, not really, this chap is a plot setup. A reason for MC's char development. As well as show the effects of so called "Takeover man", some of you should already know what it is. Expect calmer chapters after one more. The story will brighten up but will try not to lose its touch. Thank you for reading!

0