Chapter 105: A Group of Self-proclaimed Good but Evil Maniacs
111 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Indeed, like a baby's skin, because it had been peeled, repeatedly cleaned, and then meticulously soaked in a special potion, allowing the epidermal cells to rejuvenate.

The mayor, accompanied by some townspeople, meticulously observed the results, unable to stop marveling.

The grotesque scars were truly gone. It was like a miracle.

"Dr. Lynne truly lives up to his professional reputation," the mayor said, extending his hand solemnly to Lynne, "With this, young Karen can finally escape his psychological shadows. Dr. Lynne, you are indeed a real angel in white."

Lynne smiled modestly, "It's just a trifle, hardly worth mentioning."

The townspeople's eyes sparkled as they looked at Lynne, their gazes filled with admiration.

Only Karen, lying on the table (((;꒪ꈊ꒪;))) and numb, couldn't stop the tears from flowing.

"Why is Karen crying?"

"Maybe he's just too moved. After all, he's regained his original body, and all his scars have been removed. The poor boy is just overwhelmed with emotion!"

The dark-skinned women nodded in agreement, their eyes also turning red with relief for Karen.

"Doctor, although I know it might be a bit of a bother..."

The mayor hesitated, unsure how to proceed.

Lynne earnestly replied, "Please speak freely. Whatever help I can offer, I will do my utmost."

Seeing the young man's eagerness, the mayor was slightly moved, then said somewhat awkwardly: "The thing is, doctor, Karen isn't the only one in our town who has been operated on by the Night Doctors. I mean... if it's possible, could you also help some of the others, especially a few of the young ladies... The scars have a particularly profound impact on the girls."

The crowd outside the house parted slowly. Several dark-skinned young women, draped in veils and looking down, their figures graceful, stared at Lynne anxiously and hopefully.

Lynne hesitated, "Isn't this a bit inappropriate?"

Before the mayor could respond, the young women quickly ran over, encircling Lynne, pleading with hopeful eyes: "No! It's not inappropriate at all!"

"Doctor! Please help us, if you can remove the scars from our bodies, we will do anything you ask!"

"Really! Even if the requests are a bit... delicate, we won't have any reservations and will fully cooperate with you!"

[Ding! You have triggered the task: Special Suturing (2). Task reward: 500 Skull Coins, 500 Experience.]

Lynne was taken aback by the mayor's earnest plea and the young women's eager requests for help.

The mayor, with a look of grave request, said: "Doctor, we truly appreciate your help. Your medical skills are unparalleled, and I believe you can bring redemption to these children."

As he spoke, to Lynne's astonishment, the mayor knelt on one knee.

Lynne quickly helped him up, shaking his head, "Please stand up. Rest assured, I will take care of their scars. It is the duty of a doctor to save lives and alleviate suffering, and I will not stand idly by!"

The mayor was immensely relieved and kept shaking Lynne's hand in gratitude.

"Those not involved, please step outside. Line up, and we'll proceed one by one. Who plans to undergo my treatment first?"

The young women immediately raised their hands in unison:

"I want to be first!"

"Doctor! Pick me!"

"Doctor! I'm light and flexible, easiest to handle, I should be first!"

Karen, lying on the table, shuddered, turning his head with great effort, and weakly reached out his hand towards the eager young women surrounding Lynne.

"No... don't..."

He wanted to warn them. This doctor... He ignores the effects of anesthesia! But his warning was futile. Amidst tears, Karen was carried out by a few people.

The blood moon hung high.

In the town shrouded in black fog, most eyes were drawn to the house where Lynne was. Meanwhile, in the town square, guarded by several sentries, the debilitated werewolves were gathered. One werewolf with a rash in its eyes sneaked up to their leader.

"Boss... how are you feeling?"

The werewolf leader, covering his backside, lay there with a vacant expression, not uttering a word. Clearly, the explosive diarrhea he had experienced earlier had caused indescribable physical and psychological trauma.

Previously, he was known in the pack for his imposing and ruthless image. But now, his entire persona... was destroyed. He lay there, eyes empty, feeling a terrifying devastation akin to social death.

Two werewolves attending to him gritted their teeth in agony: "The boss is in a state of shock. I just checked; there are more than a dozen tears. Sewing them up is going to be a problem."

After a brief silence, the werewolf leader's face, lying on the ground, was streaked with murky tears. The rash-stricken werewolf was stunned, then clenched his teeth in rage, his eyes bloodshot with a burning desire to fight the tentacled creature that had caused this.

"Boss, my condition isn't as severe. I've recovered a bit and feel much better now. The guards are less vigilant, I think I can make a break for it," said the rash-stricken werewolf. "If I can contact our other brothers, we still have a chance!"

Hearing this, the two older wolves taking care of the leader immediately became breathless with excitement. They glanced around fiercely and cautiously before asking, "Are you sure you have the strength?"

The rash-stricken werewolf gritted his teeth and asserted, "I do!"

The older wolves exchanged a heavy look and quickly conveyed their orders to the surrounding werewolves. Minutes later, the weakened werewolves, eyes gleaming ferociously, seized the opportunity.

At once, on a given signal, they erupted into chaos. Howling, they launched themselves at the guards despite their frail bodies.

"Run!"

In an instant, the rash-stricken werewolf, with unimaginable speed and gritted teeth, dashed into the darkness of the town, not looking back as he ran towards the distant mist.

Bang— Bang—

Gunshots rang out, accompanied by the powerful holy spells of several priests. The rioting werewolves were quickly subdued.

Their bodies, weakened by sickness, were no match for the townspeople.

"Mayor, a werewolf escaped in the chaos," a guard reported urgently, his expression grave.

The elderly mayor frowned, looking over the werewolves sprawled on the plaza, and ordered firmly: "Send a few men after him. We can't let him get away and send signals. Otherwise, once the doctor leaves, our troubles will worsen!"

"Yes, sir!"

Under the blood moon's crimson light, the entire town was bathed in a sinister glow.

Meanwhile, outside the town in the darkness, the rash-stricken werewolf gasped for breath, running on all fours, speeding towards the distant forest.

With their wild instincts, once they reached the dark forest, their familiarity with the terrain meant no one could catch up to them.

Crack—

Stepping on a branch of a large tree, the werewolf leaped down, landing in a spacious meadow.

Just as he was about to continue forward, a sudden chilling presence swept over him, causing his scalp to tingle. He stood there, stunned, looking ahead.

Out of nowhere, the black mist ahead began to roil with waves of white fog, intermingling in a bizarre pattern.

Amidst the fog, a dark figure emerged, holding a staff and wearing a tall hat and a long beak mask. The undulating white mist around the figure sent chills down his spine.

"That… that is…"

The werewolf's face turned pale as he staggered back, his body cold and rigid.

Clang— Clang—

The sound of a bell tolling from the darkness added to the eerie and chilling atmosphere.

Outside the town.

The hunters, who had just chased after the werewolf, suddenly raised their heads upon hearing a sharp scream from the forest. A flock of crows burst into the air, creating a foreboding sight.

A wave of indescribable unease swept over them.

"White fog..."

One hunter looked up, his face paling at the sight of the white mist rising from the forest. Realization struck him, and his body began to tremble.

Night Doctor! Yes, it must be them! They must have been attracted by the presence of the werewolves!

"Quick! Go back and inform the mayor! This is bad! Night Doctor... Has appeared..."

As time slowly passed, in the town, one by one, the girls under general anesthesia were carried out of Lynne's clinic. Lynne's series of surgeries was nearing completion. Just then, the hunters who had pursued the werewolf hurried back into town.

They quickly whispered something in the mayor's ear. The mayor's expression changed dramatically.

"What did you say?!"

The hunter, pale and trembling, said, "Mayor, it's confirmed. What should we do?"

The mayor frowned deeply, "I overlooked this. Those maniacs are extremely interested in the curses inside these werewolves. A large gathering of werewolves would definitely attract their attention, but I didn't expect them to arrive this quickly!"

He couldn't delay any longer and immediately turned around, instructing firmly: "Notify everyone immediately. Have all townspeople move to the church's basement. Without my order, no one is to come out!"

"Yes, sir!"

After giving the order, the mayor, with a heavy heart, turned and knocked on the door of the house where Lynne was.

"Dr. Lynne, have you finished your surgeries?"

Creak.

Lynne opened the door, tossing aside his blood-stained gloves, and smilingly inquired: "It's almost done. What's happened?"

The mayor rushed in and quickly shut the door behind him, his expression grave: "Our scouts just reported that they've spotted the Night Doctors outside the town."

At this, Lynne's eyes lit up.

"They've finally appeared?"

The mayor, deeply furrowed brows, cautioned: "Doctor, I must advise you, those Night Doctors are outright maniacs. I really recommend you avoid any contact with them! You might not even get a chance to speak before they forcibly dissect you. Although they're unlikely to kill, they'll make your life a living hell!"

Lynne, adjusting his monocle, smiled: "Thank you for your concern, but this time… I've come for them."

Clang— Clang—

Suddenly, the tolling of bells sounded from outside.

The mayor's face turned ashen, "This is bad!"

Outside, over the open square, people looked towards the north, faces pale. Thick white fog, ominous and creeping, slowly engulfed the edge of the town, spreading towards them. Not just the townspeople, but even the weakened werewolves on the square showed terror.

"That is…"

The werewolf leader finally regained his senses, trembling as he gazed at the rolling fog.

"Night Doctors…"

A hunter's lips quivered, his body hair standing on end. And then, in the next moment,

"Run!"

A loud shout.

Guards and townspeople frantically rushed towards the church for shelter, and even the werewolves on the square, overwhelmed with fear, dragged their frail bodies in all directions, trying to escape. Their fear of the Night Doctors was greater than that of others.

For the Night Doctors, upon encountering them, would invariably dissect and then reassemble them. If the reassembly was successful, it was one thing. But failure meant becoming a grotesque monster, a fate worse than death.

At that moment, the entire square descended into chaos.

Inside the house, the mayor, urgency in his eyes, grabbed Lynne's wrist: "Quick! Doctor! Let's hide in the church for now. Whatever your plans are, let's survive this crisis first!"

But as he opened the door, the rolling fog swept in instantly. Several werewolves, in utter terror, also barged in, no longer caring about their enmity with the humans. As soon as they entered, they clutched their throats in agony, falling to the ground and writhing in pain.

"Quick, close the door! Shut it!"

It was already too late. The mayor hadn't expected the Night Doctors to arrive so swiftly!

Evidently, the gathering of the sick werewolves had significantly alerted these mysterious doctors, like the scent of blood spreading through a forest, drawing them near.

The mayor bit his lip, knowing it was too late, and quickly shut the door. He pointed his staff at one of the werewolves, gritting his teeth: "If you want to live, cooperate quietly, or I'll kill you before the Night Doctors even show up!"

The werewolves, clutching their throats and coughing dryly, looked fearfully at Lynne, not daring to utter a word.

Thud— Thud—

Faintly, the sound of bodies hitting the ground outside could be heard. Many werewolves, unable to find shelter, were overcome by the thick fog.

Lynne, looking out the window, saw a system description appear:

[Paralyzing Mist: A potent chemical gas with strange properties that can immobilize targets rapidly, affecting living beings, automatons, and spirits indiscriminately.]

The mayor and the guards inside the house crouched down, staying below the window line, holding their breath and waiting.

The room fell into a tense silence. The werewolves, too, were terrified, stiffened on the other side, gradually losing their ability to move, yet remaining conscious. Their fear of the Night Doctors was far greater than that of any other creature.

Lynne calmed himself and joined them against the wall: "So this is how the Night Doctors make their entrance?"

The mayor replied gravely, "Just one of their methods. They resort to this when they sense a large number of uncooperative subjects needing their 'treatment.' Doctor, I must warn you! They are not as benevolent as you might think. In their eyes, every living being needs treatment. Even those labeled 'cured' by one Night Doctor could be diagnosed and treated again by another."

The mayor clenched his teeth: "They are a group... a group of self-proclaimed good... but evil maniacs!"

Lynne pondered upon hearing this, staying close to the wall: "Let's observe the situation first."

The mayor, with a tight frown, pulled several vials from his pocket and handed them to Lynne: "Doctor, take these. If the Night Doctors find us, you must drink this immediately."

Upon contact, Lynne saw a description of the vials:

[Venomous Slime Extract: Liquid extracted from a highly toxic slime.]

Lynne, surprised: "Uh..."

The mayor explained solemnly: "Poison is our countermeasure against the Night Doctors. If they find you, you must immediately put yourself in a near-death, poisoned state. That way, the Night Doctors will focus on treating you. Once they cure you, they will likely not suspect any other illnesses. If you're healthy and they set their sights on you, you better pray you actually have some illness!"

He clenched his teeth. Facing them, being healthy is far more terrifying than being sick! For the sick, they will treat you, but for the healthy, they will find you an illness! And the process of finding an illness is... a fate worse than death.

9