Chapter 7 – Back in the Saddle Again
71 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pearlescent clouds drifted across my skin, and light danced upon my hair. Warmth soothed my aching body, and my hair curled and caressed the grooves of my body. I could feel nothing but care, but this sensation did not last. The clouds began to dissipate, and the space which I resided became cooler. My hair went slack, and the light finally dimmed. I was awake again, staring at my ceiling. My room felt dry but cool to the touch, but my bed was damp with sweat.

I gazed from the edge of my bed, searching for detail in the mostly dimly lit room. It must be early morning as far as I could tell. I shifted my weight and I felt my hair jolt with static as pain surged through my shoulder. I was left breathless at the sudden flood of agony, but I could not scream. I fell onto my back again, and I examined my shoulder. It was wrapped and taped with bandages. A bit shoddily done, but it was covered. 

Oh that’s right, she bit me there, didn’t she? I thought to myself.

I turned to my left, and sure enough Shimmer was there, out like a light. Ironically, her hair was softly glowing underneath the upper jet black layer of dyed hair, near her roots. My mouth was dry, and I began a search for water that began with a spy movie level of movements as to leave the bed without waking her. I tiptoed out of the room and into the hallway where I made my move to the kitchen. Relief would finally hit my mouth as an icy floe of water soothed my throat. I moved to sit in the living room, eyeing the microwave clock. 5:07 AM, we had about an hour and a half until we needed to be heading to work again. The Mag Rail system.

I shuddered.

Would I see Quills again? Or would I be paired with someone else? Maybe hopefully Shimmer, I had a lot to ask her still. I took another look at my body. It wasn’t so bad, but propping my full weight on my shoulder was definitely a liability. If anything, maybe now is the time to try practicing using my hair more. I set out onto the empty carpet space in the middle of the living room. I laid flat on my belly, my chest pressed firmly on the floor. I tried to do a push up, willingly myself with just my hair, but it mostly squirmed onto the carpet uselessly. 

Could I not do it? How much power do I have out here in comparison to being in the Mag Rail system?

I took another deep breath. That’s right! Just visualize it like Shimmer said I could. I formed an image in my mind, it was me laying just like I was now in real life. I felt the coarse carpet, and how it rubbed my face. I felt the gentle breeze of the ceiling fan blowing onto my skin. I pictured the dim lights of the kitchen bulbs spilling into the living room. My hair began to sink into the carpet, and eventually began to flex. My scalp began to feel sore and labored, as I willed myself to push myself upwards. My hair stood resolute, but my core and my head was shaky in trying to support my weight like this. I stuck my arms forward to catch myself before I could fall.

I gasped out. It was tough, but I could do it. But the real challenge would be learning to use my hair in a more reactive way. That ghoul from yesterday was an “easy” job. I would need more practice, more experience, and more imagination to be able to adapt my hair to any threats in the Mag Rails.

A voice cleared itself from the hallway. It was Shimmer. Her eyes had bags under them, and she propped herself against the wall, but her gaze was intense. “Oh.” I started. “You’re awake.” Shimmer shook her head. “I’m sorry for the uhh, damage, Lynn.” She apologized. “It's fine Shimmer. I’ll be okay.” I tried to reassure her. “And besides, I had a great time.” 

Shimmer sighed. “That’s good, though that session was a little intense. I’m sorry if it was too much for you, cause you kinda passed out.”

It was true, I don’t remember much else after I got home beyond those events. “Don’t worry about it, I’ll be fine.” I eyed her up and down. She was only in her underwear, but sweaty as all hell. How the fuck did she run so warm? I've gotten so cold ever since transitioning. Though I didn’t give it much thought, as I was soon distracted by the rest of her. Shimmer’s body was in a shredded condition, both literally and metaphorically. She was in incredible shape, with a very fit build that was both latticed in tattoos of geometrical patterns, and very visible scars that cut through them. Her breasts while constrained in her bra, couldn’t help but bulge upwards, cutting a flattering level of cleavage. I wondered if it was on purpose or if she needed a refitting.

“Lynn, there’s something I need to tell you, about work and the meds I gave you two days ago.” Shimmer started.

I nodded in acknowledgement. “You can tell me anything, Shimmer.”

“That medicine I gave you the day before work, that was a rather special sample. Not in that it's some cure-all or rare specimen, though these samples are all rare, but in that that was my second dose.” Shimmer said.

“What do you mean a second dose?” I asked.

“That dose was meant for me. Most people don’t live long enough to get a “promotion.” Shimmer explained. “Most people don’t last beyond a few years. I was picked up young, and to be honest it's been a streak of luck that I’ve lasted this long.”

“Can’t all be luck, I mean you seem pretty strong as far as I can tell.” I offered.

“Well, the pay is kind of shit if you don’t go for the bonuses. The more you exterminate, and the more unique shit you can find down there and register with the DPT, the more you earn. I don’t fight if I don’t have to really.” Shimmer said, bleakly. “And honestly, I would advise you to stay away from extermination tags on your EDA as much as you can, unless you absolutely have to go.”

I pondered this, surely she had to have gone on some risky jobs at some point early on. What did she encounter? If what I had was an easier than usual mark for Quills and I, and she wasn’t so lucky?

“Would’ve the second dose helped your chances somehow? And give you stronger powers?” I asked.

“Likely.” Shimmer stated. “But you looked like you stood no chance, especially in your condition in the hospital. It was either let you endure a life of medical debt and worse, or give you a crap shoot chance with the Mag Rail system. And after I dropped you off, I felt like I was gonna be responsible for something horrible happening to you.” Shimmer glanced away from me.

“Well, I was fucked either way. And while this gig sucks, it could be worse… I guess?” I suggested. “It was this, or likely falling into homelessness or worse. I guess it's either die a brutal death from ghouls, or die a pathetic, slow death with zero support.”

“That’s pretty bleak, but yeah, that was the choice.” Shimmer said, quietly. The living room felt emptier than it already was. My feet shifted uncomfortably underneath me. Shimmer felt out a sniffle, and another sigh. “Hey Shimmer, come over here.” I asked. Shimmer walked over to me, staring down at me sitting on the couch. “Cuddle with me for a bit, we don’t have to go any deeper right now.” I suggested. Shimmer obliged me, snaking her arms around my back, embracing me. We have to go to work soon, but we got at least an hour to spend with each other.

Shimmer and I finished showering, dressing, and loading the car with our work bags. Today would be my first full shift, and hopefully it would be a peaceful one. I climbed onto my passenger seat, and Shimmer into the driver seat, and we pulled away from the apartment lot. Silence took the car for the first minute.

“Hey Shimmer, do you ever take the Mag Rail to work?” I asked.

“Fuck no.” Shimmer laughed. “Cause then I’d already be at work. Plus the rail system gives me the creeps, I’d rather be in it as little as I can.”

I chuckled, “That's fair. Can’t blame you. Not everyday you want to fight a ghoul with a railway spike through its head.”

“That isn’t even half of it. Some of the shit I’ve seen, or even just heard of gives me chills.” Shimmer said.

“Is there not a repository or something of the monsters in the system?” I asked. “Like, shouldn’t there be some sort of record of the ghouls and shit you encounter down there?” 

“Of a sort.” Shimmer responded. “But the thing is, most of the creepy shit we see down there is one-offs. There are some repeats, like what you and Quills fought. But most of the dangerous stuff isn’t really that they are some massively lethal threat, though those do exist. Most of what gets people killed is shit that no one has seen before, or since. It’s part of why there aren’t that many veterans. There’s simply too much to know to be able to memorize, train, and apply it. The best we can do is learn the patterns of the Mag Rails, and get really fucking good at cleaning up viscera and other messes before trouble shows its face.”

I took a deep breath. “How long have you been in this work for, Shimmer?”

“Two years, Lynn.” Shimmer responded.

A small pothole bumped underneath as we took a right turn, and the DPT building was in sight finally. It felt so mournful now. What was a feeling of anxious intimidation yesterday now was converted into a new feeling. One that hung over me like a sword of Damocles. How long could I last here for? Would it grind me into the pavement, or could I carry on long enough to quit and find something more stable? 

Shimmer pulled us into the parking spot, and put a hand on my shoulder. “It's gonna be alright, Lynn.” She reassured me. “I believe in you. Do what’s best to keep yourself safe. I don’t care who you gotta leave behind or what. Just make it another day for me, okay?” Shimmer asked.

I looked back over at her. “I promise Shimmer. I will make it another day.”

I began to change back into my work uniform. It slipped nicely along my curves. Almost too nicely for a maid outfit. It didn’t make sense to me, but it didn’t fuck with me while I was fighting that ghoul yesterday, so it felt fine to wear today. At least they gave clean ones for each shift to wear. I collected my gear from my locker again. J601. This time it came with a small badge with my name and badge number on it. It was time to get to work officially.

I made my way down the halls again, oozing with opaque marble and asinine doors. I couldn’t remember which door was the one I needed to get to my designated departure room. I would take a left, and then a right, and then a right again. Everytime I took a turn, and doubled back, I would see the marble steps leading into the lobby. Was I looping somehow? What the fuck was this building, it was impossibly too long. These hallways didn’t make sense! 

Footsteps began to echo from the opposite end of the hallway, where the path forked. A large man rounded the corner, his steps converting from a heavy click to a thunderous chorus. He was well dressed, with slacks, dress shoes, and a white button up and tie. His build suggested a more rural one, with a very bulky frame and powerful posture. A scruffy beard accented his chin in a light tuft. His hair on the other hand, was an ill-fitting mullet. His eyes inevitably met mine.

“Oh well hellllllllo miss!” He called from across the hallway. He began to jog over to me, and my posture tightened. I could nearly feel the ground shake beneath me with each step. “Could I ask for your badge please? I'm supposed to find my partner, and it might be you!” He sounded so loud, and the echo of his booming voice in the hallway only made it worse. I hesitantly pulled out my badge, and he gave it a look. A smile broke across his face, “Well howdy Miss Lynn! Looks like you and I are gonna work together today!”

Well, so much for sneaking around and avoiding ghouls today…

“What is your name, sir?” I asked politely.

“Name’s Carl! You look a little new around here wandering about. Would you like some help getting to the departure rooms?” He asked. I was a little annoyed that he assumed that I was new, but in fairness it was true. And in truth I had no idea how to get where I was going in this fucking building. Better take an out when I have one.

“Yes, please.” I responded.

“Did no one tell you the secret to finding your way around?” Carl asked.

“No. Not even Shimmer told me. She just pushed me along and said that she believed I could figure it out.” I pouted, somewhat trying to hide my displeasure.

“Do you want me to tell you how?” He followed up.

“Ugh, fine. I just want to get today over with.” I was finally reaching my limit.

Carl gave me a warm smile. “You just gotta believe you know where you are going!” He said while pressing an index finger to each side of his head. “And then ya gotta visualize where you want to be, and you’ll get there! Just watch!”

Carl turned the other direction and I began to follow. First a left, then a right, and then a right again. A plastic door finally met us along the marble wall.

“This is such horseshit.” I said exasperatingly.

Carl chuckled back. “You’ll get used to it in no-time!” We both then entered the departure room, lined with a few lockers and benches, just like last time. Carl opened one of the lockers and reached inside, revealing a small belt with a rather large knife inside a sheath.

“That’s a rather close combat tool, Carl. How many ghouls have you exterminated?” I asked.

“Not too many compared to some of the others, but enough for you to feel safe, Missy. Especially when I got Magnolia with me.”

“Magnolia?” I asked.

“Yup!” Carl ran his hands over his mullet. “Hopefully, I ain’t itching to really wanna pull her out, but you can bet she’ll help us out when we need er’!”

I double checked my bag. It had the usual gear and my badge. The stun rod sat atop everything else. I pondered to myself, if I wanted a weapon out of my hair, what would it be?

4