Chapter 4: Wizard’s Wand Selection
293 0 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4: The Cedarwood Wand

Regardless, a wand still needed to be purchased. Kyle cautiously pushed open the door and entered.

Diana and Chris did not follow him inside. They probably assumed buying a wand would take a long time, so after learning that Kyle was going to Ollivander's first, they headed to Gringotts instead.

...

The inside of the shop was much better than the outside. Although it still looked old and the items were haphazardly arranged, it was at least much cleaner.

With a crisp jingle from the wind chimes, a head of white hair and beard appeared behind the counter at some unknown point.

"Good afternoon, child."

Ollivander looked at Kyle and asked inexplicably, "Did you come alone?"

"Yes," Kyle replied, puzzled. "Is there a problem?"

Ollivander shook his head, "No, of course not."

As he spoke, Kyle faintly saw a hint of disappointment in his eyes.

Strange, why would he be disappointed when a customer came to his door?

"Maybe I was mistaken," Kyle shook his head, not dwelling on it.

"Alright, young wizard," Ollivander stepped out from behind the counter and asked, "So child, can you tell me your name?"

"Kyle, Chopper," Kyle answered quickly.

"Chopper..." Ollivander paused slightly, "Then Mr. Chris is..."

"My father," Kyle replied.

"Oh, of course..." Ollivander subconsciously glanced out of the shop but quickly retracted his gaze and explained, "I mean, after all, the surname Chopper is not common in the English wizarding world."

He was certain, this old man was indeed disappointed!

Kyle saw it clearly. Just when he mentioned that Chris was his father, the disappointment in Ollivander's eyes almost overflowed.

Not only that, but he also started muttering to himself, repeating something about willow and oak. His voice was too low for Kyle to hear clearly, but he didn't care.

At this moment, Kyle's mind was filled with thoughts of his own wand. He had no time to pay attention to these irrelevant things.

After giving his name, Kyle took the initiative to say, "Mr. Ollivander, I'm right-handed."

He then stretched out his arms straight to make it easier for Ollivander to measure his height and arm length.

He was all too familiar with the process here.

After measuring, it should be time to choose a wand, which was also the most time-consuming part.

There were at least eight thousand wands here. In Kyle's opinion, even Ollivander would find it difficult to identify the perfect match for a young wizard at a glance. He could only select a general range and then test them one by one.

He was already prepared for this.

Besides, trying out wands, like moving trash cans, was one of the things Kyle wanted to do.

However, Ollivander's next words left Kyle dumbfounded.

"Oh, child, you don't need that."

Then, without measuring his height or asking any details, Kyle watched as Ollivander walked to the counter, quickly pulled out a box from the most prominent position, opened it, and pushed it towards Kyle.

The movements were smooth and fluid, without a moment's hesitation.

"What are you waiting for, try it!"

Seeing that Kyle didn't move, Ollivander couldn't help but urge him.

"Ah? Oh, okay." Kyle finally came to his senses and subconsciously picked up the wand in the box.

It was grayish-black, with a smooth surface. Apart from the necessary handle, there were no unnecessary patterns or decorations.

It looked quite ordinary.

Kyle held the wand, and before he could do anything, a white light burst forth from the tip, instantly filling the entire room. The originally dim and stuffy little shop suddenly brightened, as if a skylight had been opened in the ceiling.

"Good, excellent."

Ollivander looked very excited. Before Kyle could ask anything, he continued, "Thirteen and a half inches, cedarwood, phoenix feather. I must say, this is a very magical combination."

"A magical combination?" Kyle was puzzled.

"Yes, magical."

Ollivander looked at Kyle and patiently explained, "Cedarwood wands usually choose wizards who are wise and have keen insight. These wizards are naturally calm, and every choice they make is the result of careful consideration. As my father used to say, you can never fool someone with a cedarwood wand, and I agree with that."

"Therefore, those with cedarwood wands tend to prefer the stability and loyalty of unicorn tail hair, while phoenix feathers are a bit too proactive. In fact, I have made and sold thirty-six cedarwood wands, thirty of which have unicorn tail hair cores, five have dragon heartstrings, and the last one..."

Ollivander didn't speak but simply smiled and pointed at Kyle.

Kyle asked, "But sir, didn't you say that these two materials don't go well together? Then why did you make it?"

"Because the materials are not suitable, so you don't make it? No, no, that's wrong. The wand chooses the wizard, child. Every wand, from the moment it is born, chooses its destined master, just like them..."

Ollivander pointed to the mountain of wand boxes behind him and smiled, "The reason they are still here is not because they are not good, but because the time has not come yet. Their owners are just waiting for the owls from Hogwarts."

Ollivander paused and continued, "Besides, the fact that completely opposite wand woods and cores can perfectly complement each other in the hands of a wizard is what makes wandlore so fascinating. Just like the wand in your hand, your father Chris tried it, and your mother Diana tried it, but they were all just a little bit off, just a little bit. So ever since I heard about your birth, I have been waiting for this day. It's perfect, isn't it?"

Uh... well.

Kyle nodded subconsciously.

The feeling of the wand being an extension of his arm was indeed somewhat addictive, and he naturally couldn't put down the wand in his hand.

Although the process was a bit different from what he had imagined, the result was good. Kyle was very satisfied with his wand.

"Then child, seven Galleons."

Ollivander's smile became even wider.

"Okay." Kyle took out the seven Galleons he had prepared and placed them on the counter.

The first wand for a new student was generally seven Galleons, which was already a very favorable price in the wizarding world, although this discount was only applicable to young wizards who had just entered school.

After paying, Ollivander bowed slightly and watched Kyle leave. Then he turned to another young wizard who had just entered the shop and the adult following behind him.

"Oh, Mr. Thomas, we meet again. Eleven inches, hawthorn..."

 

21