Chapter 5: Shopping
303 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"It seems you got the cedarwood wand."

After meeting up at Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions, Chris recognized the wand in Kyle's hand at a glance.

Because of its odd combination, Chris had a deep impression of it. It was also because of this wand that he first met Diana.

He didn't expect it to end up in Kyle's hands now.

Chris looked at Kyle with some emotion, but his expression quickly changed as if he thought of something. With a heavy heart, he patted Kyle on the shoulder.

"Honey, I have to tell you some bad news, with this wand, you probably won't be able to get into Gryffindor."

"Can't get into Gryffindor?" Kyle's mouth twitched, he probably understood what his father meant.

Ollivander had said that wizards with cedarwood wands have sharp insight and are naturally calm, and Gryffindor... well, they may, perhaps, not need to be calm.

Kyle didn't expect to be rejected by a house before he even enrolled, which was really sad news.

"What are you two laughing about?" At this time, Diana had just walked over and asked curiously.

She had just gone to buy a cauldron for Kyle and had stopped by Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop on the way back to buy some quills and parchment, so she hadn't heard the father and son's conversation.

"Nothing, just Dad saying that with this, I won't be able to get into Gryffindor." Kyle explained, showing Diana his new wand.

Diana obviously recognized the cedarwood wand as well. Combining it with Kyle's words, she couldn't help but laugh.

"I'm sorry, honey, I think your father is right."

Neither Chris nor Diana had any specific house they wanted Kyle to be in. In their opinion, as long as it was Hogwarts, any house would do.

Kyle felt the same way.

...

Just like choosing a wand, getting school robes made was also a time-consuming project. Even though Madam Malkin was quite professional, it still took a good twenty minutes.

And this was just the time it took to measure the necessary parameters. It would take even longer to get the finished product, as Kyle was taller than his peers, and the store didn't have anything suitable in stock. They had to be custom-made, which would take about two hours.

Kyle thought about it and finally decided to leave his address and have them delivered by owl post.

It was already five o'clock in the afternoon, and two hours later it would be seven o'clock, which was too late. Express delivery was more convenient.

The next stop after Madam Malkin's was Flourish and Blotts.

This time it was much quicker, taking less than five minutes for Kyle to find all the books he needed. In addition, he bought two extra books for leisure reading.

First, of course, was Newt Scamander's – "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (latest revised edition)".

Although he already had nineteen copies at home, this didn't stop him from supporting Newt. He considered it helping to boost sales.

Besides, this new revised edition was quite substantial, with thirty extra pages and seven brand new fantastic beasts, offering great value for money.

As for the second book, Kyle accidentally kicked it out of a corner while he was paying.

"Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1"

As its name suggests, it contained some common spells, such as the illumination spell, levitation spell, and cleaning spell.

But the advantage was that there were a lot of them, covering all aspects, a bit like a spell version of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them", and the price wasn't expensive, only one Galleon.

After flipping through it, Kyle decided to take it with him. Although it wasn't very useful, it was still good for passing the time.

In fact, besides these two books, there were many other books Kyle wanted to read, about spells, potions, transfiguration, etc. The list could almost fill a whole piece of parchment. But Kyle didn't buy them.

It wasn't that he didn't have the money. Chris and Diana's income was quite good, although not comparable to those pure-blood families, it wasn't so bad that they couldn't afford a few books. The main reason was that he was going to Hogwarts soon.

Why buy books when you have one of the largest and oldest libraries in the entire wizarding world? Unless it was a necessary textbook or he really liked it, he could just borrow whatever he wanted to read.

He didn't know what others thought, but Kyle didn't want to be a sucker. His Galleons weren't blown by the wind.

...

After coming out of Flourish and Blotts, most of the things on the school supply list had been bought, or rather, they had all been bought.

The only thing left was a pet, which Kyle didn't need.

Chris had rescued many injured owls over the years, so their family had a very high reputation among these messengers, and Kyle also benefited from it.

Whenever he appeared at the window with an envelope or package, a large group of owls would rush over, vying to help him deliver it, including many from Hogwarts.

When needed, he could just hire one with snacks, very convenient.

See, he saved another Galleon.

Originally, Kyle wanted to use this saved money to buy a flying broom. It didn't have to be too good, a Cleansweep Eleven or a Comet Two Sixty would do.

Compared to the new models in the window, these older brooms offered excellent value for money. They weren't that much worse in quality, but the price was less than a third of the new brooms, quite a bargain.

For example, the once popular Cleansweep Eleven, originally priced at three hundred Galleons, now only needed eighty to take home on the spot. The pocket money he had saved over the years was almost enough.

The Comet Two Sixty was a bit more expensive, about one hundred Galleons, but it wasn't out of reach, he just needed Chris's support.

However, as soon as he proposed the idea, it was vetoed by Diana. The reason was simple, Hogwarts rules stated that first-year students were not allowed to bring brooms, buying one was useless, having one at home was enough.

Chris could only helplessly shrug at Kyle, indicating that he couldn't help either. However, he thoughtfully took Kyle to the window of the flying broom shop, letting him feast his eyes before heading towards the Leaky Cauldron.

...

The Weasley family who came with them had already gone back first, while Kyle was getting his robes fitted.

Mrs. Weasley needed to go back early to prepare a hearty dinner. For a family with six children, this was no small task, even with the help of magic, it would take more than an hour.

It was a pity that Kyle didn't get to see the twins make fools of themselves. He was very disappointed, second only to not being able to buy a flying broom.

...

[To be continued]

18