10
422 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The cultivation path of a Gu Master is divided into three parts— Using gu worms, refining gu worms, and nurturing gu worms. Each of these paths is incomparably profound and interlinked. Till now, not a single gu master, no matter how mighty, has been able to claim success in understanding any one of these paths completely. There was only one reason for the inability to achieve a real understanding of any one of the three paths, and that is— Innovation.

As long as humans live, they will innovate. Innovation is not the passion of living beings but a necessity for survival. Once the innovative spirit of a Gu Master is extinguished collectively, a calamity far greater than any beast tide or climatic change would befall the gu world. So, the inability of gu masters in understanding one of the three paths in its entirety wasn't a show of weakness, but a virtuous strength.

For instance, the path of refining the gu worm is filled with prerequisites of deep understanding of multiple materials and attainments, and this path can be further extended into reverse refining. Through reverse refining, a Gu Master can find the origin of a particular gu worm and its recipe. 

In the deeper sections of the warm pond valley, where hundreds of thousands of Terror Horses galloped with playful neighing, three Gu Masters sat near a series of warm ponds. They were Fei Qing, Fei Sheng, and Fei Chang. These three gu masters could be considered the most experienced out of the lot, and they sat in a large triangular position. 

Three bugs, each similar to an uncut jade, floated in front of the three Fei Tribe members. In between the triangular formation sat the earth lizard house gu worm with its limbs sprawled. The three tribesmen remained seated quietly. Through the three gu worms floating in front of them, formless vibration covered the rank 3 earth lizard house gu worm from all the sides while being unable to affect the three gu masters. Yes, they were physically impacted by the vibrations, but this kind of pain could not shake the focus of the three men. This was due to their experiences and foundations.

In their road of cultivation, the three men have experienced pain and suffering far higher than these 'tickles.'

Finally, after a few minutes, the rank 3 gu worms started to rot silently, and when all its body was turned into dust and blown away, four ordinary insects, the size of an adult's palm, lay on the ground. Seeing this, the three gu masters sighed in relief and relaxed their stances. The three gu worms entered each of their apertures as they inspected the four gu worms on the grass.

"Who would have known that the earth lizard house gu worm would use three wood path gu worms and a single lizard mouth gu worm?" Fei Chang sighed with emotions. The actual value of earth lizard house gu worm was extremely high, but the materials used were rather common wood path gu worms and a single storage type gu worm. 

Even Fei Qing's mood improved as he looked at Fei Sheng, "Elder Sheng, I want you to mobilize ten percent of the tribe treasury and start working on the project of refining earth lizard house gu worm in batches. The task of researching additional materials for this process will also fall on your shoulders."

Of course, Fei Qing was more than sure that aside from these ordinary rank 2 gu worms, there would be a long list of refinement material. But, using the ancestral records and comparing it with other documents seized from different tribes, this task should be quite easy. Hearing Fei Qing's command, however, Fei Sheng showed a hesitant expression. Observing the old elder's expression, Fei Qing snorted in displeasure and inquired with a gruff voice, "Is there something else, Elder?"

"Not at all... it's just that the tribe's refinement forces have dwindled quite a bit due to continuous adventures into the wild and the enthusiasm of the decade-long event... 

With only ten percent, it would take a long time to complete the task."

Fei Qing and Fei Chang turned to look at Fei Sheng. The two rank 4 masters knew that ten percent of the tribe's wealth was more than enough, but the two were not true experts in the refinement of gu worms, and they did not have adequate experience to compare to Fei Sheng's expertise. With a dark expression, Fei Qing snorted, "Elder Sheng is sensible. I'll allow you to utilize 11% of the treasury." Fei Qing knew that the elder wanted to fill his own coffins, but he was helpless, too. As a tribe leader, he was restricted by the rules and regulations of the ancestors.

Fei Sheng's face was aglow, and he nodded hastily before leaving. Seeing the elder's departing back, Fei Qing sighed deeply, "The older they get, the annoying they become."

"Elder Cousin, this Fei Sheng is not to be underestimated. While he has sided with me, his intentions still remain to sow discord among the both of us."

Hearing Fei Chang's words, Fei Qing snorted, his expression now gloomy.

"Troubled times brew deep profits. There are quite a lot of profits to be gained even by the internal elder once the tribe's internal strife grows. We need to keep the opposition balanced so that each of us can create a foundation for the war."

None of the tribesmen knew that the rivals from birth— Fei Qing and Fei Chang— were each other's hidden supporters! The loss one suffered would benefit the other in the tribe's internal politics, but when both of them were on the same side secretly, during each debate and opposition, they both stood to profit!

"Elder Cousin, I will lead a portion of rank 2 gu masters to finally reign in the surrounding packs of thunder horses. It should be enough to deter the surrounding forces and unrest among the tribes eying our Fei Tribe."

Fei Chang spoke softly with a respectful expression as Fei Qing nodded, "Take 30000 Terror Horses with you. You are more proficient in controlling the smaller tide of horses."

"Yes, Elder Cousin."

Once they discussed the matters of the tribe internally and played out the scenario they wished to show during the Tribal Meeting, the duo's expression relaxed before Fei Qong took the initiative and commented with a broad smile, "How's your little kid doing? I heard that he found a bright crow's corpse yesterday."

Fei Chang shook his head with a troubled sigh. "Elder cousin, that little runt is insufferable. All he has in his mind is sex, sex, and sex! I know how he feels, but compared to your son, my bastard is an animal."

"Hahaha," Fei Qing laughed with a pleased expression. Fei Chang already had two sons. His elder son had long become the well-known talent of the tribe and made Fei Chang proud, but Fei Qing only had one son, so praising Fei Cai and lowering his own younger son's reputation was something Fei Chang did not mind. And, the incredible part was that Fei Chang meant what he said. Fei Cai's fortunes and bearing had long touched the actual ranks of a Gu Master and not a couple of newbies.

Fei Qing and Fei Chang already knew that Fei Cai used his primeval stones on an investigative gu worm, healing gu worm, and a defensive gu worm while selling the manure gu, which would benefit the tribe and his own status. His moves proclaimed loyalty, and his action of not hoarding the primeval stone gestured towards his broad-mindedness even at such a young age.

"Fei Cai is a sensible boy. He did not let the status of a Gu Master affect him, and he still keeps an appropriate distance from those young lasses." There was a warm smile on Fei Qing's face as his gaze reflected affectionately. The exact reason Fei Qing felt proud of Fei Cai was that he did not let his young mind's lust affect his temperament. Fei Qing was one of the variants that did not enjoy polygamy and loved their wife with all they had. Even after the death of Fei Cai's mother, Fei Qing, rejected the marriage proposal of all the tribes and remained a single Gu Master. 

This quality was scarce in the Northern Plains.

"The Longevity Heavens have blessed the Fei Tribe."

Even Fei Chang smiled. The lower-stage rank 4 gu master was attracted to this very personality. This form of Fei Qing made Fei Chang loyal towards not only the Fei Tribe but also Fei Qing himself. If previously, his father had made him vow to remain a shadow to Fei Qing, then now, Fei Chang remained the shadow of the large tree willingly.

***

"Good."

Fei Cai praised Lo for the first time as his expression brightened. The calm hare is filled with rank 1 gu refinement materials, so with this catch, Fei Cai could conclude today's hunt a success. Now, he can divert his attention to his main objective. 

Gaining experience.

Fei Cai did not have any need to gain experience of the wildlife and fighting with wild animals with his gu worms. He, in fact, wanted to do it out of his own accord. Previously, he did not have even a semblance of a set of gu worms, but right now, he had a requisite amount of arms to try and probe the wilderness that lies ahead of this moderate grassland. 

Carefully walking through another clearance, Fei Cai did not hurry to use the ground eye gu worm. Instead, he observed the entrance of the forest for himself. This trip was to experience and learn, so he would first observe the forest with his own senses— vision, smell, and hearing— before activating his gu worm and then comparing the results. That way, he will learn to find specific points within a forest and utilize the gu worm once again and then compare the results. 

Fei Cai deeply understood the fact that no gu worm is perfect. The ground eye gu worms could only investigate through the ground and had a limited range. This was a forest; in here, he not only had to observe the field but also observe the barks, branches, and leaves of the trees, too.

After a careful round of observation, Fei Cai finally activated the gu worm and then compared the result. He could not find anything of a particular around him. Then, Fei Cai made Lo take the lead. Since Fei Cai was still inept in observing his surroundings, he conveniently made Lo take the greater risk. But again, not even for a moment did Fei Cai drop his guard. He had already knocked an arrow and walked behind Lo while observing the trees. This area is known to house various sorts of reptiles— Lizards, pythons— and even dangerous amphibians like violet-tongued toads and greenhorn salamanders.

Fei Cai instantly noticed a rustle and observed. He was a marksman, and hurriedly shooting an arrow would create a deadly gap of knocking the arrow once again. So, the first lesson of every marksman was to identify the target. Finally, as the sudden disturbance quietened down, Fei Cai's gaze fell on a small claw that was uncovered by the bust, and he instantly let the arrow loose. 

Fei Cai retreated by a step silently, and Lo did the same while taking his dagger out. Before the arrow could pierce the target, with a furious snarl, a dark-green salamander with a protruding horn in the middle of its head jumped out and evaded the blow. Its eerie black pupils scrutinized Fei Cai and Lo as it targetted the weak-looking Fei Cai before pouncing at him.

Fei Cai was still in the middle of aiming his bow when he had to retreat hurriedly while Lo let out an angry should and waved his dagger at the body of the salamander!

CHHK!

While the blade embedded itself into the body, Lo found that he could not take his dagger out as the wolf-sized salamander smacked Lo's face with its thick tails and sent him hurtling back. 

Pheeeeew!

With a sharp whistle, an arrow lodged itself in the thick neck of the salamander while the beast was gazing at Lo with flickering greed, making it howl in pain.

Bloodied, the beast pounced at Fei Cai once again, but this time, Fei Cai was prepared. Instead of utilizing the precious time to knock the arrow, he mobilized his primeval essence into his right arm and with a beautiful swirl, a thick, round leaf, as sturdy as copper grew out of Fei Cai's right wrist, forming a natural shield. Meanwhile, Fei Cai unsheathed the dagger he had prepared last night.

The beast in front of Fei Cai was relatively simple, and with an appropriate distance between the two, Fei Cai could predict the landing position of the beast and rushed forward. His eyes were gleaming with battle intent that he couldn't even muster in his previous life. Meanwhile, out of nowhere, Fei Cai felt his strength increase by leaps and bounds. 

Fei Cai held an instinctive feeling that there was a phantom of a wolf howling behind him!

9