17
250 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The webbings derived from the rank 1 Aperture Nurture Gu shattered as the very quality if Fei Cai's primeval essence undertook a change for the better. Instead of the remaining 3% jade green colored primeval essence, the natural regeneration of the aperture gave rise to a steady influx of light green primeval essence. Letting out a breath of relief, Fei Cai indulged himself in silent meditation for a few minutes.

Rank 1 Middle Stage!

In three weeks of cultivation, Fei Cai set himself firmly within the second minor realm of his Rank 1 aperture. The difference in his aperture could also be noted by the free-flowing state of his aperture walls. Instead of the weave of mist surrounding his primeval essence, Fei Cai's aperture wall now seemed to be covered by a globe of the liquid boundary. The greatest effect brought by the breakthrough in his cultivation was that the consumption of his primeval essence when it came to utilizing his gu worms had decreased significantly.

Alas, the breakthrough only ranked second in terms of good news for the day. After spending another fortune to buy refinement materials that would serve to challenge his negligent techniques, leaving him a stipend in debt to the chieftain— his father— and only 9 stones in currency, Fei Cai had managed to refine yet another gu worm. In the shape of a small lizard, nail-sized, in fact, that stuck to the aperture walls tightly, Fei Cai now possessed a rank 1 Lizard Mouth Gu worm. The function of this gu worm is to store a total of 5 kilos of weight in any form. 

The nature of the gu worm was such that if Fei Cai did think of storing any living being less than 5 kilograms in weight, they would suffocate due to lack of oxygen. In fact, Fei Cai had deliberately refused to utilize one of Thieving Heaven Demon Venerable's methods and refined a gu worm mentioned in the diary of the dead Gu Master since Lizard Mouth Gu worm would not raise too much suspicion. This gu worm, Fei Cai had seen in the storage of the clan which justified that the Gu Worm can be found in the Northern Plains, unlike his rank 1 Instinct Gu worms. 

With the latest edition, Fei Cai now held a total of 10 gu worms of Rank 1. 

Stepping out of his room, Fei Cai was certainly surprised to see Fei Qing sitting a few steps away from the door. The sound of Fei Cai's movement caused the Chieftain to open his eyes and even when it was closing on to the dawn, not a hint of sleepiness flashed over Fei Qing's expression. 

"Cai'er," the man stated somberly, pointing at the cold floor in front of him without any regard for his son's aching joints after sitting in a similar position for too long. "Father, I managed a breakthrough," Fei Cai stated outrightly, making Fei Qing focus over his son and then nod in appreciation. 

"Is it true that you have been squandering your wealth over refining materials?" With no knowledge about his son having world-shaking gu recipes, this was the only conclusion Fei Qing could reach and this was the only assumption Fei Cai would want the tribe to think. "Father, I did not wish to squander but with the Beast Trials in 5 days, I decided to utilize my primeval stones in exchange for valuable experience."

"Son," Fei Qing sighed deeply, "I have come to inform you about the situation of the tribe. Nevermind the loss of primeval stones," his words made Fei Cai alarmed internally. His traditionalist father would never utter such words if he, or the tribe, weren't facing a mighty ordeal and as expected, when Fei Qing began describing the war declared by Man Tribe, another Large Tribe but situated in a completely different valley, Fei Cai had to show a nervous expression even if he didn't feel that internally, which would be a lie. However, controlling his emotions is what Fei Cai had unconsciously practiced after reaching this world. 

"I shall be leaving at the first light of dawn but before I leave for the campaign, I wish to present you these," pulling out a small scroll from the innards of his robe, Fei Qing pressed the item in his son's hands with a compassionate expression. "Remember to work hard. I shall return within a week to witness your trials. And, nobody should know about this scroll. The primeval stones, however, you shall earn by yourself and I'll present you with an opportunity now."

Seeing Fei Cai pushing the scroll into his tunic, Fei Qing nodded with satisfaction and then spoke up, "Son, I want you to sell me your Wolf Strength Gu worm for 740 primeval stones."

While Fei Qing turned the explanation into a form of coax, Fei Cai was well aware of the situation. He had never hoped to retain the business of lending beast strength gu worms. The idea was lucrative enough to benefit the whole tribe and now, Fei Qing described that the business will be handled by his competitor— Fei Chang. While Fei Cai had assumed to retain the ownership of the gu worm until the beast trials, the sudden declaration of war by a tribe that wasn't even situated within the nearby locations had caused complicated matters to rise early.

"Remember, until I return, you are not to refine gu worms alongside your uncle. The project of refining rank 3 Earth Lizard House Gu worm."

This was the first time Fei Qing had interjected in Fei Cai's decision-making process but he nodded and accepted the terms nonetheless. The sale price of the wolf strength gu was more than twice and he knew that this was a way to suppress any indignance he might feel for the tribe. Even as a father, Fei Qing's actions would show the charm of being a tribe leader and reveal his decision-making process. As Fei Qing left the tent, Fei Qing stood for his original task— to quench his thirst and then returned to his room.

Before succumbing to his sleep, however, Fei Cai unraveled the scroll to skip through its contents and much to his fortune, aside from a basket of 740 primeval stones which his father had prepared beforehand, Fei Qing now held a refining recipe of Rank 1 Gu Worm— Enslavement.

---

Unlike his calm exterior, Fei Qing's thoughts were in turmoil. While he had always held suspicions against the tribe elder— Fei Sheng— an old coon whose motives seemed to have turned into leeching off the tribe and sow internal discord, the fact that Man Tribe, a tribe of equal stature to Fei situated hundreds of kilometers away would suddenly rally nearby allies into declaring war against the tribe was certainly troubling. What did the Man tribe hope to achieve? And why did the tribes surrounding Warm Pond Valley suddenly turn against one another? 

After all, aside from the harassment against the Fei Tribe, the news of annexation of Han Tribe by Pa— a Mid-force tribe— in a cruel fashion. However, alone and leading 120,000 horse beasts consisting of— Terror Claw horses, Fire Mane Horses, and a low number of Grass-Root horses— most of the force comprising of the first kind, Fei Qing alone rushed to Pei Tribe, another Mid-force tribe, with the intention of devouring them and forty thousand wood horses which would certainly cover the cost of attack and subsequent losses. His departure was only known by Fei Chang and his son and if Fei Chang had learned anything from all the games they played together then certainly, this current attack would be successful.

When Fei Cai woke in the middle of the morning, he took a few minutes to freshen up while a few gu masters a few steps away, and taking a dump themselves couldn't help but chatter.

"Did you hear that Lord Chieftain has rushed to decimate the Pa Tribe? He even took more than half of his enslaved horse groups and left the Tribe in Elder Fei Chang's charge." 

However snorting at his friend, the other Gu Master continued, "That is already the news of olden age. The trials to Elders have been removed. They said that in lights of tribulation that would occur in three years, it is time to allow other gu masters to become elders of the tribe."

"And?" the first one didn't seem impressed, "the trials have never barred our tribe. It only made the sense of achievement more distinguished. But to break through to rank 3 is easier said than done. Even that youth, Fei Nai, hasn't been able to break through yet."

The other voice turned silent while Fei Cai was already done with his business. However, he soon realized that the news regarding the denial of the trials to elder was a public buzz. Still, that didn't stop Fei Cai from taking Lo with him to the nearby grassland once again. As things stood, the area beside the tribe still remained safe from the threat of other tribes and while the inner portion of the valley was no longer suited for training due to the beginning of mass refinement of rank 3 Earth Lizard House Gu, the surrounding grassland was now teeming with liveliness. 

Still, from the scroll, Fei Cai now understood what the 'Tribulations' that occurred every 10 years entailed and what he should look out for. Not enemies but resources!

He still had a few days before the beast trials that pulled every Rank 1 gu master below the age of 15 into participation. The numbers were a few digits short from a full century and in such odds, Fei Cai felt that he needed to prepare more carefully in the upcoming days. He had a defense, storage, investigative, support, and healing type gu worms with his attack type gu already utilized. Now, using the funds acquired by the sacrifice of wolf strength gu, Fei Cai would use the primeval stones filled within the Lizard Mouth Gu to purchase a suitable attack type gu worm.

"Lo, prepare yourself," Fei Cai whispered after a slight rustle of leaves fell into his ears. Once again knocking his bow with an arrow, Fei Cai waited in his position as Lo unsheathed his dagger for the hunt. However, the expected attack did not grace the master-slave pair. With a furrow touching Fei Cai's brows, he gestured Lo to cover the front and crouched with a muddy eye wriggling out of the inner side of his palm. Flinching slightly due to pain, Fei Cai pressed his palm against the ground and felt his vision growing dark with the footsteps around him glowing. 

Aside from his Lo's footsteps alongside the tendrils of roots around him, Fei Cai failed to sense any form of disruption despite the sound he heard. This allowed Fei Cai to stand up, knock his bow once again instruct Lo slowly. "The target is on the grass itself. Slowly make way forward and be ready to dodge the moment you see any rodent." 

Nodding at his master's words, Lo stepped forward with his dagger pushing away the thicket of grass. Still, a few moments of careful search did not lead to any discovery. It was as if the target had disappeared but Fei Cai didn't rule out the possibility that he might have been wrong himself. There may be no target in front of them it could have been a mistake from his side and an error in his scouting abilities. Still, after finding adequate game worth a few primeval stones in materials, something that would be extremely appreciated by any other rank 1 gu master, Fei Cai retreated alongside Lo and with his Gu worms healthy and fed, Fei Cai decided to leave the purchase of materials and appropriate attack type gu for the next day.

8