20
246 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dusk didn't shine upon the night skies overseeing the torch surrounded Fei Tribe but the men and women of the recently victorious tribe woke up. Young ones, especially, buzzed with excited expression despite the lack of sleep. Scouts spread out to keep a track of other tribe's activities and their own's during the trials. While the chances of being attacked during a trial were slim for this day was consistent with every tribe, Fei Qing still ordered the scouts to remain attentive. The time preceding great tribulation was fraught with endless misery and only by remaining prepared can a tribe avoid... losing too much.

Outside the entrance of the Valley marked with Fei Tribe's establishment, a group of young boys and girls, no more than fifteen in age, stood with their thin bodies covered by battle tunics, bows, daggers, and a furred shoulder guard. The total number of youths went past 150 in total but they managed to stay orderly. In front of them stood Fei Qing. Or to be precise, he sat on a Terror Horse. Unlike any other, this one was frightening in appearance and aura both. Thick neck with bulging limbs and mighty tail. Its height greater than 4 meters! The towering beast could be observed by everyone and Fei Qing alone stood in front of the young gu masters to address them.

This was an honor belonging only to the tribe leader and even if his figure seemed to hide in the darkness of night, his words rang true.

"Fei Tribe, I have let you down!" Fei Qing shouted with the gigantic Terror Horse snorting and smacking its hoof on the ground. "Just like my ancestors, I have stolen a portion of your future for the tribe. Just like my ancestors, I ordered every one of you to forcefully awaken your aperture at the age of ten before your potential could sustain. Even my own son suffers the fate of premature awakening just like I did and just like my father did but we stand here, still!"

His words made Fei Cai's gaze flicker. He seemed like any average joe within the crowd for he was neither tall nor beautiful. Even his potential, as Fei Qing stated, was supposed to be better. At least, better than 69% of the aperture being filled but...

"But unlike other Gu Masters of different continents, we cannot wait. Every ten years, our life is subjected to the tribulations of the plains. Ice covers the skies and snow pile over the dead. Lungs freeze in desperation and little children die in cold. Hungry. Our lands are ruthless so we must be, too. Not only to ourselves, but our future, too. We may have to cut our potential," Fei Qing growled, "But we are the most feared! Take any northerner to a different continent and he'll show you how to cut, conquer, and live."

"He'll show you how to spread one's name in glory. Each of us is made better by the tribulation. Stronger! And now, Fei Tribe, these kids will prove themselves. The Beast Trials are to be fulfilled. Entire rodent kind and beasts are up for the hunt. 100 Terror horses that I let loose are up for the hunt! They shall tear you apart if you fight them unprepared. And so will you tear them apart if you have that might." With that, Fei Qing waved his hand as a small globe of flames escaped his wrists and illuminated the night sky, revealing just how terrifying the giant horse actually looked.

"Each Terror Horse is marked with an emblem of the tribe. Rodents matter naught. This beast trial is dangerous and the rewards appropriate. However, only the three brave souls with the greatest amount of emblems can earn the rewards."

Fei Cai's and many other young Gu Master's instantly locked as the Beast Trials truly turned out to be dangerous but when Fei Qing announced the reward, everyone grew excited once again.

The third best score would net a person one Rank 1 green copper relic gu. The second best score would allow the Gu Master to chose from one Rank 1 Bishop Armor Gu, a rare defense type gu worm. Finally, the first in the trials would net that Gu Master a set of Terror Horse Gu, one of the brand gu worms of the Fei Tribe consisting of Rank 1 Terror Eyes, Night Hide, and Hoof Legs gu worms.

But Fei Cai had removed the thought of getting the gu worms, not unless he forsakes the reputation he had tried to build or... 

Attacking another Gu Master was strictly forbidden, Fei Qing even assured that many rank 2 gu masters would remain hidden to prevent any unforeseen action from a fellow gu master but if a gu master falls prey to Terror Horses then that's a different matter altogether. 

Once Fei Qing returned to the tribe with his most beloved prize, the gates of the tribe were shut closed and allowed the Gu Masters to wander within the grassland. The horses were said to be within 30 kilometers of the tribe but before he could leave, Fei Cai was approached by Fei Mang. With slaves not allowed to participate and help their masters, most of the young gu masters felt a little unnerved to go alone. Especially the most recent and fresh bunch.

With most of the experienced Gu Master running along, unwilling to waste any time, and letting their competitor get a headstart, their hunt began. For the most knowledgeable in the group, this was probably their fifth beast trials and if one name came to Fei Cai's mind who could win the Beast Trials then it was Fei Sau. An uprising talent with peak rank 1 gu cultivation and gu worms won in the last two consecutive beast trials. 

"Fei Cai, we should set traps together. My brother once told me that even the weakest of Terror Horse in your father's horde has the strength matching peak rank 1 master. I earned that Twig Trap Gu a few days back." He explained sincerely. This was to be expected by Fei Cai regarding Fei Mang and others. The true objective of the beast trials to be conducted, this early in the fresh batch's path, he concluded was to make the young ones realize the true danger of Gu World. The lucky ones who survive an entire day away from Tribe will be accepted with open arms and those who didn't... their corpses won't even be honored for a burial and their parents would remain distraught until they sire a couple more. 

"All right, we'll do it your way," Fei Cai nodded. A sum total of five gu masters began their journey deeper into the woods. It was public that Fei Cai had lost his wolf strength gu but his other purchases weren't anybody else's concern, allowing the other four gu masters to remain unknown about Fei Cai's true battle strength. Not that it would have mattered. Facing Terror Horses was an unnecessary risk for an unprepared Fei Cai, however, he had the objective to battle and seek out other beasts nonetheless. 

Without a fight, he won't get hurt, and without hurting, he won't grow. These were words left behind by the Venerable. This was the case in Legends of Ren Zu. This was the guidance Fei Qing once imparted during a training session and this was a personal experience that Fei Cai experienced when the greenhorn salamander's horn stabbed into his shoulder.

"We'll finally face a terror horse!" Fei Lu whispered, her gaze marked with excitement. Even being the only girl in the group didn't dampen her spirit. "I've grown tired of finishing off pythons and rats. Their meat doesn't taste that good and the primeval stones for their parts are low."

"We'll die," Fei Mang snorted. "You only have one gu worm, Fei Ban and Fei Kan, you two brothers have a total of three, one of which you share. And Fei Cai... you?"

"Three," Fei Cai replied with a satisfied look touching Fei Mang, "Me, too. But we still can't face a terror horse. I think we should trap a few beasts using twig trap gu of mine. Aside from that, I only have one support gu and one attack gu." The names of which Fei Mang kept to himself. 

This thoroughly surprised Fei Cai. A few days back, Fei Mang was still singing praises about how he was making his slave squeal, and then suddenly, he stopped all his antics. The slave wasn't dead, Fei Cai knew that much. What changed, however, remained unknown to him. Still, Fei Mang's mental growth was a visible factor. 

---

For the sake of ease, Fei Cai gave out the information that out of the three gu worms he supposedly refined, one of them was cultivation support gu, a public knowledge. The second one was an investigative gu, and the last was a storage gu. With his right hand gloved and covering the round leaf shape pattern of copper leaf gu alongside the dart marks of poison arrow, Fei Cai didn't have a need to cover anything else. 

Standing up with the painfully twitching mud eyes receding into his palm, Fei Cai nodded and gave the clear. "We need to scout the surrounding trees but this place is relatively safe," he informed Fei Mang and others. As young mind dictated, the remaining in the four gu masters all had attack type gu as their main method and had to rely completely on Fei Cai. This gave him an advantage but it was an empty one. However, much to the relief of the group, the sun had started to rise with their visions gradually turning for the better. 

The sound of bowstring stretched echoed softly when Fei Cai let the arrow loose, accurately hitting a grinding mole. Yet another game to be skinned, the responsibility of which was borne by beaten and blue-eyed Fei Kan, younger of the twins. Meanwhile, Fei Lu hummed an excited tone, her fists injured which could lead any astute observer to know what transpired. Now, finally free from the ragtag discriminating undertone of the group with a few cruel punches, Fei Lu occupied a rather important role for the group. Attacking. Fei Mang would set traps. The twig trap gu was an exhaustive gu that expended a lot of primeval essence. So, Fei Ban, the elder of the twins was tasked with digging small holes using his dagger, Fei Mang would then cover the holes with intertwined roots and grass releasing from his wrist as the young boy would grunt in pain every now and then.

Fei Cai was asked to attack alongside Fei Lu but he refused the request stating that the Ground Eye Gu worm not only took a toll on his left arm but also caused headaches. If it was true or not remained a mystery but the group had to accept the terms. In reality, Fei Cai merely wished to preserve his strength until darkness covered the skies once again. The beast trials would end tomorrow, just before dawn and they had an unsettling night to still survive.

---

As the trials underwent, the tribe used the time to digest the gains from the war. Once again, most of the resources firmly belonged to Fei Qing. His authority went unchallenged after the battle and he was followed by Fei Yang, the mature, dark-haired Pei Tribe female elder now reformed into his slave. "Lord Chieftain," Fei Chang tried to stand but Fei Qing shook his head. "Your injury still affects you," he whispered, "rest." 

Then, he looked at the slightly bowing Fei Nai and nodded. "Elder Nai, it is good to see that you're willing to assist Elder Chang but your trial awaits you." Nodding at Fei Qing's words, Fei Nai left after exchanging a few words with his father, leaving Fei Chang with a group of rank 1 cultivators past the age of 15 with a rudimentary knowledge of refining. They all were going through the first few process of refining Earth Lizard House Gu. 

"Elder Chang, as you might have seen her yesterday, she is one of the Pei Tribe's Elder. She goes by Fei Yang now. The reason she still breathes is due to her talent in refining gu worms and I believe that it would be best to include her in the process. She is to return before dusk but otherwise, I want you to utilize her talents to their fullest." Hearing him, Fei Yang bowed at Fei Chang, who nodded plainly.

"I heard much about her from my one," Fei Chang stated, referring to the new slave under him. "Even though our tribes had a fallout due to the situations of the world, I believe that you won't betray Lord Chieftain's respect and admiration towards you. Fine, she will be allowed to inspect and guide in the process but she cannot have a direct contact with the process. Not yet, I'm afraid."

Fei Qing nodded with an understanding expression and gestured Fei Yang to go through the refinement process and leave the two alone. Sitting beside Fei Chang, Fei Qing inquired with a whisper, "Are you worried?" His expression remained plain as if they weren't discussing something important. Adopting a similar stance in public, Fei Chang shook his head. 

"His talents surpass mine. If he doesn't make an elder, I'm afraid tough times are ahead of us."

Sighing softly, Fei Qing stood up and left directly. Fei Chang had never been the one to fear for the lives of his sons. It wasn't in his nature to do that. Battle-hardened to the extreme, he has long accepted the eventual fate of death if he fails to reach rank 5 and surpass the limits of a mortal. Not much was known about this particular subject but no rank 5 gu master could ever refute the possibility of the existence of immortals.

On the other hand, Fei Yang gazed at the body gestures of two cousins with a twinkle in her eyes. As the rumors stated, Fei Qing and Fei Chang seemed to be in a form of brutal competition and the victory against Pei Tribe was supposed to be a blow towards Fei Chang, too. She still needed more information to make an accurate judgment but there was finally hope in her gaze.

  

8