1.3 We? Conquering a dungeon?
40 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stepping through the door of the run down guild building marks the start of a new day. On the other side of the door the smell of boze hits my nose. Always these adventurers drinking themselves under the table the moment they come from any mission.

Thankfully, I'm not here to drink today. I quickly find my way over to the desk with a well aquainted lady behind it, who I greet.

"Good morning Marissa, have you heard anything of Sally?"

Marissa has been nice to us since the day we came in here two years ago and declared ourselves adventurers. And today is no different as she looks to me with a smile.

"Ah good morning to you too Victoria. The gathering mission Sally is on only takes one day, meaning she could be back any moment now."

Yesterday Sally took the well-paying gathering mission solo while I was busy with my family. Well I do trust her going alone, she wouldn't get herself get killed that easily. She has taken the role of the scout in our group, so she's well made for a quick gathering mission, but in the end were both still technically novices in adventurering.

I made some more small talk with Marissa before she had to continue working. I walked over to a empty table to sit down and wait for Sally to come back from her mission.

Less than half a hour later I saw a jumpy Sally walking over to Marissa stealing a short glance at me. How could I tell she was nervous? Her wolf features gave it away. Her tail having more movement than usual and her ears on the top of her head standing alert.

She quickly gave the gathered herbs to Marissa and almost forgot to collect her pay before walking over to me.

"Hey Sally, how was your mission?"

"My mission? Oh yeah, it was great, no monsters or anything. Can we go to your place really quick?"

"My place? You know it's not the closest thing from here."

"Still, let's go there."

"Alright."

Next thing I know Sally ushered me out of the building. She still couldn't keep completly still and regularly looked behind us, her scout role peeking through. Does she believe we're being followed?

Ten minutes later we find ourselves infront of my parents house. I casually walk in, Sally following close behind. Around the corner I can see my mom visibly surprised.

"Victoria, you're already back, you're not skipping work again are you? Oh and together with Sally, hi Sally."

"I'm not."

I lied. Sally just smiles and waves. We move to my room. I sit down on my bed while Sally throws herself on my chair turning it 180 degrees to make space for her tail. With a slightly more quiet voice she begins speaking.

"You're not gonna believe me what I found on my gathering mission."

"Ok I won't believe you, now say what have you found!"

"So while walking towards the location of the herbs I sensed a slight draw of mana and me being me I investigated. And what I found was a dungeon entrance. But not only that but it also was severly underdeveloped. And any half assed adventurer knows what that means."

"It means it's a newly formed one."

"Correct and probably nobody has entered it yet."

"We could be the first." I muttered.

"Yup we could be the first to finish a dungeon and you know what title comes with that."

At this point I couldn't sit still anymore aswell. Now I now why she was so alert and pushy the whole time.

"One of the rarest titles in the entire world. One that is definetly way to much high for us, Victoria."

"The first delver."

"And we could have it!"

At this point I was already packing my traveling gear, throwing things in we might need. Holy fuck, this was really happening, us two nobodies have the chance to get one of the rarest title in the world. There are quite the number of dungeons, but only the first party to finish ever receives the title. And there a a lot of adventurers. It's more than a once in a lifetime opportunity, it's a once in a hundred thousand, if not even more.

Once I was done packing, I looked over to Sally. "Do you need anything for the trip?"

"Nope I already packed before coming here, now let's go!"

We stormed out of my room towards the exit.

"Mom, me and Sally are going on a mission for a few days." It seems I didn't lie earlier.

"Alright, good luck you two and much success!"

"Thanks mom."

We exited the house, and the district, and the city. We found ourselves on the outside traveling down the gravel path towards the location. Time went by just that fast.

After three hours we sat down to take a short break and play a little game with our self made wooden cards. Real cards are really expensive, so I just carved them myself once.

I won most of the time, because I have better knowledge of the rules and all the cards in the game than Sally, but I could see her improving over the last few months since I introduced the game to pass the time.

Two breaks and around 2 hours later we went off the gravel path and into the woods. Almost nobody goes that way, so the path is almost non existant. Our progress is also rather slow, but around 1 hour later we are there.

In the middle of nowhere, there's just a super simple looking stone door. It really is a underdeveloped dungeon. Sally went towards the door to inspect it. A common thing dungeons do for whatever reason is mark in some form on the door how many bosses it has. Going from there you can gauge a dungeons difficulty.

"It still has no bosses, Victoria."

"That's good, let's set up camp and then try our first dive."

Our camp consisting of a leather tent big enough for the two of us is set up rather quickly. We sat down, ate a little and played a round of our card game.

After winning again I picked up my own gear consisting of a short sword and a small heater shield aswell as sturdy leather armor with steel plating. The plan is for me to play vanguard and Sally to support me with her bow. If the enemy finds a way around me then Sally still has a buckler and some daggers to defend herself. I also take the time to light a torch on fire. A lot of dungeons are absolutely dark inside.

"Alright let's go in and be careful, inside we will slowly loose mana."

She nodded and we went towards the door, now combat ready. I went first and reaching the door twisted the handle to open it.

What greeted us are undecorated stone walls and utter darkness.

"It's completly dark and looks narrow, a cave type I believe. I think you will be rellying on your daggers in here."

We slowly made our way inside, one step at a time. Even if the dungeon is new, it's extremely dangerous to go into one that's unexplored. We don't know what we will have to expect.

"I look forward and the ceiling, you watch the surroundings and check for traps."

She didn't say anything but I know she aknowledged it. We have good experience working together. We slowly paced forward. The walls are becoming more uniform and straight. The path infront of us split to the left and right.

"Looks like a labirinth to me." Sally remarked behind me.

I sneak closer to the corner with my shield at the ready. I peek around to both sides but it's clear. I give a sign to Sally to come closer. "Left or right?" I ask Sally still on guard.

"Let's go right."

This happened two more times with Sally picking right. I trust her navigation a lot more than mine, so she is making the calls. This time just before another corner we found our first enemies. Two skeletons with little bits of equipment.

They look like we can take them on. Me and Sally are both level 11. The skeletons don't engage us right away so Sally actually takes her bow and takes a shot.

So the fighting begins with the left skeleton taking a arrow to the head and falling over. The second skeleton noticing us now slowly moves towards us with rattling bones. That's my cue to engage the skeleton in one on one combat.

The skeleton starts of with a wide swing of it's sword which I can easily dodge by stepping backwards and getting proper footing. The skeleton does another wide but weaker swing. This time however instead of dodging I pushed my shield into the swing and quickly stabbed forward with my own sword. The skeleton taking the stabs staggers backwards, but regains it's bearings.

I see the other skeleton standing back up so I quickly rush forward with the intend to finish it off. I smash my shield into his sword and stab again but this time it uses it's free arm to grab onto my sword. Realising my mistake I on instinct kicked it's knee and pulled free again.

My attack was more effective than I thought as the skeleton can't stand upright anymore. I once again looked to the other skeleton to see it engaged in combat with Sally, with her taking more of a defensive side.

I attacked the kneeing skeleton again and it could only flail as I cut it down. It began to disintegrate, a dungeons natural way off recalling the mana it's made off. How dungeons manage it's mana is a thing in of itself.

I went over to help Sally by utterly bashing the skeleton with my shield to the ground. It could barely move and Sally quickly finished it off. It began to whisp off aswell.

"We did good." I said catching a breath. No injuries as far as I can tell.

"We did, yes, but these were the first monsters in here. Don't let your guard down."

We continued on. We hit a dead end soon after and went the other way before seeing another pair of skeletons. We pulled the same strategy off as last time with Sally starting the fight by knocking one skeleton down with an arrow and quickly killing the other one, then finishing off the knocked down one.

It seems we are a lot stronger than these skeletons.

After some more turns and dead ends, I forgot to count, we stumbled upon a skeleton pair with more equipment than one sword. This time we couldn't start the fight with one knocked down, because they spotted us.

This time the fighting was a lot harder. It could be the exhaustion setting in by walking the whole day or just us not that used to dungeon diving but whatever. What matters now was to win this battle.

And to do that I began to charge my body with mana to make myself slightly stronger and faster. The effects were strong enough to make me overwhelm my opponent and with a bash and stab here and there it went down.

I once again run over to Sally and overrun the skeleton before it even notices me.

"That was harder than expected." I stated.

"Yeah it was, maybe we should head back soon?"

"I think we are on a good path, do you still know the way out?"

"Yes, I do."

"Ok, then let's get out of here and take a rest, I need one."

The walk back was very uneventful. We still were heavily on guard, but we didn't encounter any monsters. Reaching the stone door again, the first thing I notice is the sun went down while we were in the dungeon.

"I guess we can go to sleep right away." Sally said

"Yes, but don't forget to set down that monster repellent."

"That stuff smells like shit."

"That's the point of the monster repellent."

While Sally set up the monster repellent, I made my way inside the tent, put down my gear and swapped into some clothes to sleep in.

Shortly after Sally came in with a scrunched up face which clearly relaxed once inside the tent. She did the same as me and lay down on the other side of the tent.

"Goodnight Sally."

"Night Victoria."

2